Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Posts: 993
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby Neptune » Sat, 02 Jun 2018, 02:10

The penultimate stage of the RWC qualifiers are here.
From each of the Four continents Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas, I would like us to debate the four teams that will make it to France for the final repechage fight and RWC 2019 slot.

NB: Kindly avoid any bias towards your home countries. ;)

My four teams respectively are : Africa - Kenya/Zimbabwe
Americas - Canada
Asia - Hong Kong
Europe - Germany/Portugal

Kindly note that my decisions is based on previous test matches, rankings and the strength of teams based on previous meets.
This is my opinion and all other opinions are welcome. :P

Posts: 343
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby Tobar » Sat, 02 Jun 2018, 04:47

Just a bit confused, how are these your decisions? Aren’t all of these confirmed? The only decisions left would be for Africa and Europe correct?

If so, I pick Portugal (unless Germany gets its players back) and Kenya.

Posts: 993
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby Neptune » Sat, 02 Jun 2018, 04:52

Tobar wrote:Just a bit confused, how are these your decisions? Aren’t all of these confirmed? The only decisions left would be for Africa and Europe correct?

If so, I pick Portugal (unless Germany gets its players back) and Kenya.


I think Korea were to play Hong Kong after they beat Malaysia. Not sure though, I stand corrected.

Posts: 132
Joined: Sat, 20 Jan 2018, 13:57
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby Sick » Sat, 02 Jun 2018, 04:54

Neptune wrote:The penultimate stage of the RWC qualifiers are here.
From each of the Four continents Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas, I would like us to debate the four teams that will make it to France for the final repechage fight and RWC 2019 slot.

NB: Kindly avoid any bias towards your home countries. ;)

My four teams respectively are : Africa - Kenya/Zimbabwe
Americas - Canada
Asia - Hong Kong
Europe - Germany/Portugal

Kindly note that my decisions is based on previous test matches, rankings and the strength of teams based on previous meets.
This is my opinion and all other opinions are welcome. :P



I'm curios of you had to pick a team between Zimbabwe and Kenya, which one you would pick and why.

Posts: 993
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby Neptune » Sat, 02 Jun 2018, 05:13

Sick wrote:
Neptune wrote:The penultimate stage of the RWC qualifiers are here.
From each of the Four continents Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas, I would like us to debate the four teams that will make it to France for the final repechage fight and RWC 2019 slot.

NB: Kindly avoid any bias towards your home countries. ;)

My four teams respectively are : Africa - Kenya/Zimbabwe
Americas - Canada
Asia - Hong Kong
Europe - Germany/Portugal

Kindly note that my decisions is based on previous test matches, rankings and the strength of teams based on previous meets.
This is my opinion and all other opinions are welcome. :P


I'm curios of you had to pick a team between Zimbabwe and Kenya, which one you would pick and why.


Both are equally good with Kenya winning the last two fixtures they met in with cricket scores. 61 - 15 in Harare and 41 - 17 again last year in bulawayo, plus this year's fixture is in Nairobi and Kenya are ranked 12 places above Zim, so i'd say Kenya have an upper hand although Zim are also a very strong team.

Posts: 132
Joined: Sat, 20 Jan 2018, 13:57
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby Sick » Sat, 02 Jun 2018, 07:38

Neptune wrote:Zim are also a very strong team.



Stronger than last years team, correct? I don't remember them having guys like Prior or Stander or Synman last time.

Posts: 993
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby Neptune » Sat, 02 Jun 2018, 11:21

Sick wrote:
Neptune wrote:Zim are also a very strong team.



Stronger than last years team, correct? I don't remember them having guys like Prior or Stander or Synman last time.


Let's wait and see how it goes, but all the best to the Simbas and may the best man win.

Posts: 104
Joined: Sun, 18 Mar 2018, 00:53
National Flag:
NicaraguaNicaragua

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby Gen Santa » Sun, 03 Jun 2018, 02:48

let's hope kenya and zim give their best against namibia, we need someone new to grow the game in africa

Posts: 341
Joined: Sun, 06 Dec 2015, 06:42
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 16:28

As bad as Canada has been the last number for the number of years or decades. To me they will still be the class act of the repechage tourney.


1.Canada
2.Kenya
3.Hong Kong
4. Portugal

Posts: 343
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby Tobar » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 16:45

Tobar wrote:Just a bit confused, how are these your decisions? Aren’t all of these confirmed? The only decisions left would be for Africa and Europe correct?

If so, I pick Portugal (unless Germany gets its players back) and Kenya.


I'm sorry, I think I misread your comment and were debating which ones would make the repechage. Seems kinda silly of me to think now.

I'm picking Canada, despite their issues they still seem to be better than these other countries and will have a good Summer series to prep them -- they have games against Scotland, USA and Russia and Canada Selects have has at least 2 prep matches against the Ontario Arrows which Jones used to evaluate players on the bubble.

Also....when exactly is the repechage tournament taking place?

Posts: 343
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby Tobar » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 16:47

Answered my one question, repechage will take place in November so teams will have access to their international players as usual.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/0 ... in-france/

Posts: 1373
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 22:26
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby grande » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 18:52

Oh, I see it's a round-robin this year (according to that link)! I'm glad to see that.

Posts: 604
Joined: Mon, 12 Jan 2015, 09:13
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 19:06

grande wrote:Oh, I see it's a round-robin this year (according to that link)! I'm glad to see that.


And how overdue! Will be some fascinating match ups I'm sure - especially if all games are on 3 consecutive weekends.

Posts: 343
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby Tobar » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 21:14

I would imagine they are since this is happening during the November test window

Posts: 70
Joined: Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 15:48
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby Tomster7uk » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 21:43

To clarify the current situation

Hong Kong are due to play the Cook Islands after the disqualification of Tahiti in a play off match for the last chance saloon, Repechage.

Canada (as part of the Americas berth are the only team in the repechage as it stands).

Germany play Portugal in a few week to determine whom Samoa shall play in a two legged affair with the winner advancing to the finals in Japan and the runner up ending in the repechage.

Africa gold cup shall determine berths by the winners spot and the runners up spot.

Runners up of the Gold cup goes to the repechage and the winner of the AGC qualify for Japan.

Posts: 41
Joined: Thu, 19 Oct 2017, 21:52
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby Immenso » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 22:27

Tobar wrote:Answered my one question, repechage will take place in November so teams will have access to their international players as usual.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/0 ... in-france/


This going to be a great mini-tournament I think. Highlight of November for me after NZ v Ireland ...... Although to be honest it would be a much stronger tournament if it was Spain/Romania rather than Portugal.

France as a neutral venue is a good idea, is a big country with decent record of turning up as neutrals to watch.

The actual match venues chosen may make or break the feel of the tournament though. Probably needs to be at the bigger venues of D2 clubs in the south-western heartlands? Traditional rugby towns now 'starved' of T14 rugby. Like the 3 venues in use currently for the U20 JWC (Carcassone, Bezier, (although Perpignan will be back in T14?) plus also Biarritz, Bayonne. Grenoble or Vannes would also be good choices outside of the south-west. One of the 2 smaller rugby venues in Paris would work as well.

Posts: 993
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby Neptune » Tue, 05 Jun 2018, 01:31

snapper37 wrote:As bad as Canada has been the last number for the number of years or decades. To me they will still be the class act of the repechage tourney.


1.Canada
2.Kenya
3.Hong Kong
4. Portugal


As a Kenyan, I want to believe in the Simbas ability to win this one. No bias, it's just about Patriotism :P . The Kenya Simbas have played all these teams apart from Canada, beating both Portugal 46 -15 and Hong Kong 34 -10 in Nairobi. Although, they again lost to Hong Kong in the Regal cup of Nations. Apart from that, I must say they should be comfortable in their own skin here. The only achilies heel, would be Canada whom we have never met, but other than that the Simbas should be good. First things first, we need to perform well in the Gold Cup, then work these other details later.
The only confirmed team in the repechage is Canada, the rest are 70 % probables basing on squad strengths, WR rankings and the opponents they will meet to reach there.

Posts: 3815
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby victorsra » Tue, 05 Jun 2018, 01:34

Immenso wrote:
Tobar wrote:Answered my one question, repechage will take place in November so teams will have access to their international players as usual.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/0 ... in-france/


This going to be a great mini-tournament I think. Highlight of November for me after NZ v Ireland ...... Although to be honest it would be a much stronger tournament if it was Spain/Romania rather than Portugal.

France as a neutral venue is a good idea, is a big country with decent record of turning up as neutrals to watch.

The actual match venues chosen may make or break the feel of the tournament though. Probably needs to be at the bigger venues of D2 clubs in the south-western heartlands? Traditional rugby towns now 'starved' of T14 rugby. Like the 3 venues in use currently for the U20 JWC (Carcassone, Bezier, (although Perpignan will be back in T14?) plus also Biarritz, Bayonne. Grenoble or Vannes would also be good choices outside of the south-west. One of the 2 smaller rugby venues in Paris would work as well.

Small correction: U20s are being in Perpignan, Bèziers and Narbonne, not Carcassonne. Yes Perpignan and Grenoble were promoted.

Rouen just missed promotion from Federale 1 to Pro D2 but it is an interesting place too.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 184
Joined: Sat, 31 May 2014, 21:12
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby vino_93 » Tue, 05 Jun 2018, 08:20

I don't think Rouen would be a good place. Due to their New Arena, they host many events. Maybe too many, as Volley-ball League of Nations first round was a failure.

Around Paris could be good. It's easy to access for fans from involved countries, plus there are big expats community.

Basque country has a good rugby tradition and nice fields, so maybe it could be done there too, or in South-East (Grenoble, Lyon, Bourg-en-Bresse, Bourgoin, ...).

Posts: 197
Joined: Sun, 10 Apr 2016, 03:59
National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby Osmanperalta » Tue, 05 Jun 2018, 15:12

Gen Santa wrote: let's hope kenya and zim give their best against namibia, we need someone new to grow the game in africa

i dont know even if by miracle they beat Namibia i have the feeling that somehow they will find a way to fuck up or do the "big spain" if they have to lose against the weaker team they will do, to not go to the world cup

Posts: 138
Joined: Wed, 18 Jun 2014, 09:47
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby sjbret » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 07:49

Are you so sure that the tournament will take place in France ?
Because, excepted a FFR's ad of recruitment (now disappeared), there isn't any official source.

And because another insistent and plausible rumor is to locate the tournament in Hong Kong.
The tournament could so take the place in the international calendar of the Cup of Nations, with the same format (Hong Kong, 1 Africa, 1 Americas, 1 Europe or Oceania).
The current absence of announcement would depend then on the HK presence at this stage of the competition, a presence which becomes clearer more and more.

Wait and see...

Posts: 2171
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 09:18
Location: Bucharest
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby amz » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 07:56

Shouldn't such tournament be on a neutral venue and not in HK?

Posts: 3815
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby victorsra » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 09:02

Maybe World Rugby wants to give an advantage to Asia as they don't have a direct spot and the WC is in the continent.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 3898
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 11:19

Osmanperalta wrote:i dont know even if by miracle they beat Namibia i have the feeling that somehow they will find a way to fuck up or do the "big spain" if they have to lose against the weaker team they will do, to not go to the world cup


Last years Gold Cup produced some really crazy results across the board. Namibia came out in front but the rest of the games were all over the place. Kenya beat Tunisia by a 100 points, whilst Zimbabwe lost to them by 7. Then Zimbabwe were close to beating Namibia whilst losing heavily to Kenya, who were subsequently thrashed by Namibia and drew with Uganda, and then Uganda beat Zimbabwe.

Posts: 2171
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 09:18
Location: Bucharest
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Possible Repechege teams for the 2019 RWC

Postby amz » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 11:24

If after this appeal Oaks will be out of any chance to qualify than I'll support Zimbabwe. :) and Namibia from repechage!

Next

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Blurandski, TheStroBro, Working Class Rugger and 8 guests