Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum - View topic - Canada vs Scotland

Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canada vs Scotland

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Canada vs Scotland

Postby sk 88 » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 10:17

Recorded the game overnight and watched it this morning.

I've seen little of Hong Kong, Germany or African sides but the reperchege is by no means a given. Whilst Scotland's pack is good to be totally dominated like that is a concern, especially when the back line never looked particularly dangerous either. Scotland v USA should be a closer test next week I hope.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 20:51

I didn't watch the game but how are Canada looking seeing as they have a repechage to contend with later this year against an African, Asia/Oceania playoff and Oceania/Europe playoff side.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 22:12

Tomster7uk wrote:I didn't watch the game but how are Canada looking seeing as they have a repechage to contend with later this year against an African, Asia/Oceania playoff and Oceania/Europe playoff side.

This is going to sounds strange: They didn't really get close to scoring a try (beyond the penalty try), but it was much improved from what we've seen recently. There's still a lot (a lot) to work on, but I'm not too worried about the repechage right now.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 02:58

Exactly, the other repechage candidates wouldn't even come close to such a result against Scotland, except maybe MAYBE Namibia if somehow they fuck it up in the Gold Cup. Hell, Germany got a similar result at home, against the US.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 15:09

Honestly, without Spain/Romania/Samoa to potentially worry about, Canada will take the repechage. The other countries don't have quite enough quality.... yet.

The World Cup Qualification Process needs to change though. The REC is clearly getting stronger as are Americas countries and a few African countries, I fully expect one of the Pacific Islands to not make the RWC next cycle. Canada is going to get pushed more and more unless serious changes to the way Rugby is administered and governed are undertaken in this country.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 16:38

Remember this Germany team did manage to beat Romania in 2017. We'll see I guess and Canada are certainly the favourites.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 19:30

From what I've seen I'd have the Canada that played Scotland at even odds to come out of the repechage on top. I'm not sure how the repechage works though, is it total points after a round robin, or an elimination style tournament? If it is elimination then I like Canada's chances less as I honestly think they could lose to anyone. Also I do think Canada would be much better if some injured/unavailable/sevens guys suit up. Never seems to happen, but you never know.

Like I said though, Canada could easily lose to those teams. You think they don't have guys in Namibia or Germany that are as good as Parfrey, Doug Fraser, Barkwill, Rumball, Ciulini, Campbell, Keith, Keys etc.? These players aren't anything remotely special.

Also I do think teams like Scotland/Maori could blow Canada out more than they have if they played looser and treated us like the minnows we are. They always seem content to grind us out by kicking for penalties, driving mauls, kicking penalties etc. If they upped the pace and played looser I think they'd put up another 20 points or so, but I understand they want to play their normal structures etc.

Tyler Ardron
Kyle Baillie

Brett Beukeboom
Matt Beukeboom
Connor Braid
Andrew Coe
Matt Evans

Gordon McRorie
Dan Moor
Taylor Paris
Matt Tierney
Conor Trainor
Admir Cejvanovic

Hearn?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 01:43

marvinparsons wrote:From what I've seen I'd have the Canada that played Scotland at even odds to come out of the repechage on top. I'm not sure how the repechage works though, is it total points after a round robin, or an elimination style tournament? If it is elimination then I like Canada's chances less as I honestly think they could lose to anyone. Also I do think Canada would be much better if some injured/unavailable/sevens guys suit up. Never seems to happen, but you never know.

Like I said though, Canada could easily lose to those teams. You think they don't have guys in Namibia or Germany that are as good as Parfrey, Doug Fraser, Barkwill, Rumball, Ciulini, Campbell, Keith, Keys etc.? These players aren't anything remotely special.

Also I do think teams like Scotland/Maori could blow Canada out more than they have if they played looser and treated us like the minnows we are. They always seem content to grind us out by kicking for penalties, driving mauls, kicking penalties etc. If they upped the pace and played looser I think they'd put up another 20 points or so, but I understand they want to play their normal structures etc.

Tyler Ardron
Kyle Baillie

Brett Beukeboom
Matt Beukeboom
Connor Braid
Andrew Coe
Matt Evans

Gordon McRorie
Dan Moor
Taylor Paris
Matt Tierney
Conor Trainor
Admir Cejvanovic

Hearn?

Round robin league
all teams play each other once
Most points
then other tie breakers

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 02:40

Thx. I think the format favours Canada as they are more likely to be consistent over all matches. But not a given.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum