Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canada vs Scotland

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Canada vs Scotland

Postby rugbylineout » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 05:35

Seems everything is against Canada on this one. Heard ticket sales are still poor for size of venue, it's supposed to rain and Scotland are bringing a young but very talented and well coached side. Still good experience for the boys and will cheer them all on, and hope they get to do themselves pride, either way you know they'll put up a good fight. Good luck boys! therugbylineout.com

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Canada vs Scotland

Postby argie » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 12:39

Postby Cor Kalom » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 17:40

The most important thing for Canada at the moment is to build confidence before the Repechage. Can anyone comment on the quality of this Canadian side? I must admit I know very little about anyone except DTH and O'Leary...
Zbudź się!

Postby 4N » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 17:46

Many will be wondering why Barkwill and Parfrey are starting.

Other than that they have some decent young forwards (Rumball, Ciulini) and Hassler who is a wild man.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 17:57

Normally psyched for a T2 hosting a 6N side, but just can't see this as anything other than a massive hiding. Scotland have been riding high whilst Canada are at an all time low.

By the by countries of birth for Scottish XV:

1. South Africa
2. Scotland
3. New Zealand
4. Australia
5. Scotland
6. Scotland
7. Scotland
8. Zimbabwe

9. Spain
10. England
11. South Africa/Namibia
12. England
13. England
14. Scotland
15. Scotland

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 18:38

4N wrote:Many will be wondering why Barkwill and Parfrey are starting.

Why are you so hard with Barkwill?. I'm agree that it is time to retire but he's still useful.
Do you prefer Benoit Piffero?. Any other?.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 18:54

Cor Kalom wrote:The most important thing for Canada at the moment is to build confidence before the Repechage. Can anyone comment on the quality of this Canadian side? I must admit I know very little about anyone except DTH and O'Leary...

This is more or less their full strength side. They are names recognized by us and good players but they still have to find a game identity.
Other names that I would like to see with more game minutes are Sears-Duro or McRorie but I don't know if they are in the roster.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 19:35

Other than that they have some decent young forwards (Rumball, Ciulini) and Hassler who is a wild man.

Ain't nobody behind him trying to make him retire with their performance. We'll see how Howie does, when Kingsley didn't select him for the ARC I immediately discounted any move he did from that point.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 20:59

Canadian side is pretty pedestrian/poor all around aside from the wingers. Other positions are basically all people that know what they are doing but offer little physically/creatively. The 9 is a squirrely/erratic 7s player.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sat, 09 Jun 2018, 04:53

argie wrote:
Cor Kalom wrote:The most important thing for Canada at the moment is to build confidence before the Repechage. Can anyone comment on the quality of this Canadian side? I must admit I know very little about anyone except DTH and O'Leary...

This is more or less their full strength side. They are names recognized by us and good players but they still have to find a game identity.
Other names that I would like to see with more game minutes are Sears-Duro or McRorie but I don't know if they are in the roster.

McRorie was hurt in training this week but my opinion is that he doesn't offer much. He may be safer than Mack but he is way to slow to the breakdown and he will repeatedly pass to players who are standing still. That being said my only real complaint with the lineup is Parfray at 15 and the non-selection of Staller. That is inexplicable to me.

Sears-duro showed promise earlier but simply hasn't developed. This is as strong a side as we could name with the bodies not in the medical ward. There are a few top player and few solid players out with injuries. It'll be a drubbing I suspect. Best case scenario is that they keep it within 15 for 60 minutes and then the wheels fall off. The scrum will be dominated at every aspect of the game. The breakdown will be shambolic, particularly when the substitutes come on. There will be constant attempts to get the ball wide to Hassler and Van Der Merwe even though they have not earned the right to go wide and the handling errors will be the undoing of the backs.

I'm just praying that Hassler doesn't get hurt. He doesn't have a contract and any kind of significant injury will stick a fork in his career. It would be nice to see him follow Ardron down under and see how he goes there. There's rumors of that possibility.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sat, 09 Jun 2018, 04:56

marvinparsons wrote:Canadian side is pretty pedestrian/poor all around aside from the wingers. Other positions are basically all people that know what they are doing but offer little physically/creatively. The 9 is a squirrely/erratic 7s player.

re. Mack... I'm really hoping that a season of 15's with seattle has helped in that regard. I have watched three of his games with seattle and been impressed with his play there. We can always hope...

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sat, 09 Jun 2018, 05:02

TheStroBro wrote:

Ain't nobody behind him trying to make him retire with their performance. We'll see how Howie does, when Kingsley didn't select him for the ARC I immediately discounted any move he did from that point.

The same old story gets told over and over again. Without any kind of real developmental pathway from club to international we have no clue if we have a couple guys out there that have the potential to move up. All my hopes are pinned to Ont. and Vancouver being admitted to MLR next year. It'll be to late to make any real difference in 2019 but maybe 2023 will see the fruit of it. If somehow that gets shelled were screwed, blued and tattooed for the next generation.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 00:03

Is this Noah Barker's first start? I know he played in the ARC, but I think it was always off the bench.

I have to assume Staller was injured or unavailable; Kid's a fucking rock star.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 00:41

grande wrote:Is this Noah Barker's first start? I know he played in the ARC, but I think it was always off the bench.

I have to assume Staller was injured or unavailable; Kid's a fucking rock star.

That's the inexplicable part...

https://rugby.ca/en/news/2018/06/jones- ... e-scotland

When you read RC's lineup article on their website, they list the match day 23 then list all the players "Unavailable". Staller is no where to be found on the list. They even list Matt Evans on the unavailable list and he hasn't played in a Canada jersey since 2016. Even the list of caps that follows the unavailable players list omits his name. It's like he dropped completely off RC's radar. He's a capped player, playing professionally at the Seattle Seawolves and has been having a good season. His omission is really weird. Especially in light of Parfrey starting at full back and Fraser starting at outside centre. I'm not downing Fraser, I think he has some upside as yet unrealized. Just noting that you would think he would have be preferred over Fraser.

Yes this is Noah Barker's first start. He has had two appearances for Canada. Once against Argentina XV (non-cap) and once against Chile (cap). It will be nice to see how he goes. This is a big step up for him.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 01:09

Commonwealth is too big for this, it looks ridiculous to have 10-15,000 in this venue.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 01:10

Sad looking crowd. I doubt its 10-15 K Looks more like 8-9k

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 01:13

I can’t take Gareth.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 01:13

rusty_lock wrote:Sad looking crowd. I doubt its 10-15 K Looks more like 8-9k

What's even worse is how scattered the crowd is, concentrating them in fewer sections would make the camera angles more flattering.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 01:15

Kicking away possession is always a great game plan.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 01:16

Was_a_Kat wrote:I can’t take Gareth.

I'm constantly having fight the urge to slit my wrists

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 01:17

rusty_lock wrote:
Was_a_Kat wrote:I can’t take Gareth.

I'm constantly having fight the urge to slit my wrists

I don’t mind Blake Price. Could be a lot worse.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 01:18

Was_a_Kat wrote:Kicking away possession is always a great game plan.
Bad kicking is even worse

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 01:19

rusty_lock wrote:
Was_a_Kat wrote:Kicking away possession is always a great game plan.
Bad kicking is even worse

It’s a hybrid.

Classic Rees. Canada doesn’t mistakes, refs always do. Embarrassing.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 01:20

Oh god

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 01:21

Rare Hassler error.

I think this is going to be ugly. Point a minute stuff right now.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum