Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

RWCQ Europe/Oceania Play Off

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

RWCQ Europe/Oceania Play Off

Postby Thomas » Sun, 17 Jun 2018, 08:45

Starting a new thread for the upcoming matches:
Samoa (16th) will kick off things in Apia against Germany (29th)

First leg

Samoa v Germany - 30th June 2018 (Apia)

Second leg

Germany v Samoa - 14th July 2018 (Heidelberg???)

The winner of of the home and away series will join Pool A as the play off winner whilst the loser enters the repechage.

*Venue for the games?
Credit to Tomster7uk who setup the format
Last edited by Thomas on Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: RWCQ Europe/Oceania Play Off

Postby qwerty » Sun, 17 Jun 2018, 13:38

It'd be good if they could play maybe in Sandhausen, it has a stadium for like 15,000 and it's right next to Heidelberg.

Otherwise in Frankfurt.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby germanbullsfan » Sun, 17 Jun 2018, 14:08

Well, the DRV dont have the money to rent a venue like Offenbach and Frankfurt again , so it will be in the Livingroom i guess!

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Sun, 17 Jun 2018, 15:13

Thomas wrote:Starting a new thread for the upcoming matches:
Samoa (16th) will kick off things in Apia against Germany (29th)

First leg

Samoa v Germany - 30th June 2018 (Apia)

Second leg

Germany v Samoa - 14th July 2018 (Heidelberg???)

The winner of of the home and away series will join Pool A as the play off winner whilst the loser enters the repechage.

*Venue for the games?

This looks similar to what I posted last night...the layout

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Sun, 17 Jun 2018, 15:56

Yeah, I nicked the format to set up the new thread..

New Rankings are out tomorrow so will change that if there are any movements.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Kettleoffish » Sun, 17 Jun 2018, 20:57

Thomas wrote:Yeah, I nicked the format to set up the new thread..

Samoa down to 17th in the rankings released tomorrow.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 17 Jun 2018, 20:59

germanbullsfan wrote:Well, the DRV dont have the money to rent a venue like Offenbach and Frankfurt again , so it will be in the Livingroom i guess!

if thiis is not the time to pay for a stadium I don't know when would be.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Sun, 17 Jun 2018, 22:04

Exactly, this might be THE most important game Germany has ever played on home soil.

National Flag:
NicaraguaNicaragua

Postby Gen Santa » Sun, 17 Jun 2018, 22:48

victorsra wrote:
germanbullsfan wrote:Well, the DRV dont have the money to rent a venue like Offenbach and Frankfurt again , so it will be in the Livingroom i guess!

if thiis is not the time to pay for a stadium I don't know when would be.

well much of the world is hardly aware of samoa, let alone samoan rugby, perfect place then to play would be heidelberg...

the theoretical canada game would make more sense at a big venue, since it's more likely germany would beat them (i think they will, just because of how bad canada has been over the last 5 years)

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Sun, 17 Jun 2018, 23:33

samoa is a strong name commercially in the rugby world would make sense to play in a stadium but maybe they are considering the time of preparation for the event or the results they get in samoa and arent so optimistic about the enthusiasm of the public

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Sun, 17 Jun 2018, 23:41

A little credit would have been appreciated dude though...Haha

Postby Raven » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 08:41

So in the end Germany did "kinda" choke, but managed to pull the play off through.
This might sound idiotic, but perhaps the strike / ban of German players might play a wee bit into Germany´s advantage after all. Why?

Well, in preparation for test matches as these is normal to analyse various videos of the rivals, when you think how the Germans played against Portugal there´s not an actual game plan shown, Samoa will only envision that they won with a massive stroke of luck. You go back to the REC2018 and almost every player with the exception of ca.5 guys didn´t play for various reasons - so can´t rely on those games for analysis. They would have to rely entirely on Heidelberg´s matches in the Cont. Shield, or the REC2017, a pretty long way back with also various other names.

Considering that the first game will be in Samoa, the underestimation / surprise factor might help keep a bulky score down, depending on how well can Germany hold up against a side that will clearly be better, regardless of the analysis they may or may not have done. Putting a respectable show over there might create some hope to try and wrap a big upset up in German soil after.

Chances are slim... but would be an awesome underdog story!

Regardless of what happens in these places, the fact that Germany might even play this repechage is quite remarkable already.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 17:18

Tomster7uk wrote:

You two are different posters?!

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 20:33

Zhenya_Zima wrote:
Tomster7uk wrote:

I obviously didn't mind the person using it but the principle of the web is, if you are using someone else's work you should at least reference it other wise plagiarism can occur. But the fact that it's NOT exactly the same as mine, therefore the writer is okay. But the layout of my original post was the same as what the poster used therefore in reality, a reference would be required.

How would you like it if someone used your work and took all the credit for your artwork or photographs if you was a photographer for example?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 20:55

Don't really think there's much to discuss on this as these were all facts and details that we knew before you posted anyway. On with the match discussions...

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby cheesus » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 04:54

Tomster7uk wrote:
Zhenya_Zima wrote:
Tomster7uk wrote:

I obviously didn't mind the person using it but the principle of the web is, if you are using someone else's work you should at least reference it other wise plagiarism can occur. But the fact that it's NOT exactly the same as mine, therefore the writer is okay. But the layout of my original post was the same as what the poster used therefore in reality, a reference would be required.

How would you like it if someone used your work and took all the credit for your artwork or photographs if you was a photographer for example?

wow, you're really comparing this shit with artwork or photographs? are you serious with this?
those are just some facts written down. i mean, how could you even write it differently? it's not like you made a graphic for it or something...

if you search the forums i bet someone else did nearly the same "design" before you...i hope for you they will not sue you for copyright infringement... :roll:

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 08:00

I seriously laughed at the comments, I only copy the format out of sheer laziness if I knew I was going to ruffle feathers I would have done a more serious work and really upset people, I just wanted to get the thread started.

To the matter at hand:

I would like to see a provisional squads from both Countries particularly Germany since they are the away team. Also the game is in 11 days how seriously are they taking the away leg? average flight to Samoa is 33 hours give or take depending on the route. *There are no direct flights or you go via Auckland or Sydney

Germany need to arrive by the 27th of June at latest, they need to manage their circadian rhythm otherwise it will go pear shape for the game and then 2 week preparations for the home leg.

Samoa for me is a puzzle they lost by 2 points to Fiji and Tonga by 10 points, I would have thought they would have won at least 1 match.. they have at least 2 games preparations against tough opposition. they've had serious struggles financially with lots of governance issues but still a force to be reckoned with.

This series is actually very interesting. I would love to see Germany's plans and how seriously they are taking it.
Last edited by Thomas on Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 08:08

I'd hope in a 78-0 or 85-0 victory by Samoa in the first leg, then the samoans totally relax down and Germany conquers by a point the home match; just to have the pleasure to see the germans winning on a so blazoned nation.
But I think Samoa will win easily (+30/+40) both the games

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 12:47

Samoa didn't look that good in either PNC game, except for a few patches against Fiji where the Fijians seemed to fall asleep at the wheel. Germany looked ok in patches also against Portugal but really only got out of jail in the last few minutes. Basically, neither team is coming into this series with any real sort of form. Samoa on paper should win, but the team they've assembled has looked disinterested in the games they've played so far, and if there's a bad habit I've seen from Samoa before it's them looking disinterested. Germany's preparation on the other hand has been hampered by the qualification drama. Samoa will probably win, but I'm honestly not expecting them to completely dominate it either, they just haven't looked good enough for me to believe they will breeze through it. Germany have rode an awful lot of luck to get here and they'll probably need that again for these 2 matches. But if anything is going to spur them on it's that they are 160 mins away from making history. So who knows, the heart would love to see the Germans win, but the realist in me says they are probably still 4 years away from making a genuine challenge for a world cup spot.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 15:30

cheesus wrote:
Tomster7uk wrote:
Zhenya_Zima wrote:
Tomster7uk wrote:

<---- ( word, haha)

wow, you're really comparing this shit with artwork or photographs? are you serious with this?
those are just some facts written down. i mean, how could you even write it differently? it's not like you made a graphic for it or something...

if you search the forums i bet someone else did nearly the same "design" before you...i hope for you they will not sue you for copyright infringement... :roll:

I was joking..... hence the word haha.

Doesn't bother me if there 100's of the same layouts to me, at the end of the day the facts will have been repeated many times throughout the forums on this site.

Seriously though, I do hope Germany can pull of a major shock victory over the Pacific Islanders....

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Sick » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 17:09

thatrugbyguy wrote:So who knows, the heart would love to see the Germans win, but the realist in me says they are probably still 4 years away from making a genuine challenge for a world cup spot.

The realist part of me thinks more like 10-15 years. My heart is more like... the same actually.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 17:38

Sick wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:So who knows, the heart would love to see the Germans win, but the realist in me says they are probably still 4 years away from making a genuine challenge for a world cup spot.

The realist part of me thinks more like 10-15 years. My heart is more like... the same actually.

All depends on the number of rwc spots. Should 2023 be 24 teams I reckon that they'll be allocated: Africa 2 (Kenya), Americas 3 (Canada or Brazil...), PI 3/Asia 1 playoff (Samoa through) (loser to repechage, to replace Samoa/Germany), Europe 2 (Spain) direct to WC. 2 spot repechage. If we say that the disqualifications do not happen, but everything else stays the same: Africa 3 (Uganda) PO beforehand v Asia 2 (South Korea), Europe 3 (Russia), Europe 5 (RETW - Portugal) round robin for the first spot. PIA L (Hong Kong), Americas 4 (Brazil), Europe 4 (Germany), for the second.

31/37, 19, 24, and 21, 26, 29 in the repechage.

I went with a two team repechage because 11 is the absolute top number of teams for Europe, plus SA+Namibia+AN Other, Japan, US, Uruguay, Canada, but they can't give all 3 PIs an automatic bye, so only four direct from there. That gets you to 22.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 18:55

2023 has been awarded based on 20 teams. There is a very low chance of that changing, given there is no real campaign or groundswell of support for it the ONLY way I could see that happening is if by some miracle/disaster (delete as appropriate) Samoa and Canada both cock it up and fail to make 2019.

World Rugby hates the thought of losing any nation, so skews competitions towards existing teams. Cynically I think the only reason we expanded to 20 was because USA missed out in 1995.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Sick » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 19:23

Yeah if you enlarge the world cup ofc their chances are higher.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 19:43

sk 88 wrote:2023 has been awarded based on 20 teams. There is a very low chance of that changing, given there is no real campaign or groundswell of support for it the ONLY way I could see that happening is if by some miracle/disaster (delete as appropriate) Samoa and Canada both cock it up and fail to make 2019.

World Rugby hates the thought of losing any nation, so skews competitions towards existing teams. Cynically I think the only reason we expanded to 20 was because USA missed out in 1995.

After the 2015 WC there was talk from the WR CEO of expansion for 2023 (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31924309), plus the fact that the quality of teams 18-20th in the world compared to 21-24th is almost identical, and the fact that expansion would make it easier to sell rights gives WR a hefty incentive, as for 2023 being awarded based on 20 teams, true. But seeing as the FFR would keep the additional ticket revenue, I cannot possibly see them objecting.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum