Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

RWCQ Europe/Oceania Play Off

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: RWCQ Europe/Oceania Play Off

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 23:20

sk 88 wrote:2023 has been awarded based on 20 teams. There is a very low chance of that changing, given there is no real campaign or groundswell of support for it the ONLY way I could see that happening is if by some miracle/disaster (delete as appropriate) Samoa and Canada both cock it up and fail to make 2019.

World Rugby hates the thought of losing any nation, so skews competitions towards existing teams. Cynically I think the only reason we expanded to 20 was because USA missed out in 1995.

That was the primary reason. There wasn’t enough quality teams at the time to expand to 20.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 20 Jun 2018, 20:01

Still not new anywhere when Germany is departing for Samoa,

According to their Facebook Site Samoa is now selling tickets for the match at Apia Park which has a capacity of 15,000

https://www.facebook.com/ManuSamoa/

They way I see it if Samoa are up for it and Germany just show up it will be a 60 point rout. If Germany do show up I see Samoa winning by 20 - 30 point which for me is a good result.

I want Germany to win and have a great match on the return leg but I just don't see it right now.

Postby Raven » Thu, 21 Jun 2018, 09:23

Thomas wrote:Still not new anywhere when Germany is departing for Samoa,

According to their Facebook Site Samoa is now selling tickets for the match at Apia Park which has a capacity of 15,000

https://www.facebook.com/ManuSamoa/

They way I see it if Samoa are up for it and Germany just show up it will be a 60 point rout. If Germany do show up I see Samoa winning by 20 - 30 point which for me is a good result.

I want Germany to win and have a great match on the return leg but I just don't see it right now.

Even if the Germans are able to pull out a victory at home on the return leg, the point difference / aggregate tally will be crucial, and as you said, if they bag up a 20/30 point difference in Apia -on what would be a good day for GER-, the potential win in Europe will only be a mere anecdote as I don´t see Samoa getting beaten by any German side by over 7 +/-.

But one thing is for sure, it will be a hell of an experience for the Germans, not long ago these sort of games would have been unimaginable.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby welshdragon2000 » Thu, 21 Jun 2018, 09:55

Just remember that this is Europe's 12th best team (based on this year's REC (probably 11 with their pros)) against the third best PI nation - a region renowned for their rugby talent. A realistic positive result in Apia for Germany will be to remain within 20pts. Germany did beat Romania last year who are ranked higher than Samoa, yes it was a bit of a freak result but it shows that the Germans are capable of pulling off the shock result when they play well and the other side has a bit of an off day. I think that the points difference after the two legs will be around 45pts in favour of Samoa. I think that Romania would get the job done and Spain would run them close, it's just a massive shame that they were both disqualified as they would have been good additions to the world cup and showing that the level of competitiveness in Europe is on the up.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 21 Jun 2018, 12:08

welshdragon2000 wrote:Just remember that this is Europe's 12th best team (based on this year's REC (probably 11 with their pros)) against the third best PI nation - a region renowned for their rugby talent. A realistic positive result in Apia for Germany will be to remain within 20pts. Germany did beat Romania last year who are ranked higher than Samoa, yes it was a bit of a freak result but it shows that the Germans are capable of pulling off the shock result when they play well and the other side has a bit of an off day. I think that the points difference after the two legs will be around 45pts in favour of Samoa. I think that Romania would get the job done and Spain would run them close, it's just a massive shame that they were both disqualified as they would have been good additions to the world cup and showing that the level of competitiveness in Europe is on the up.

To be fair, they are the 5th best team in Oceania, but I second all the rest of your post.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 22 Jun 2018, 08:30

They are leaving today. Apparently in three different travel groups due to the late notice of the flight. The latest group will arrive on Monday.
Changes in comparision to the Portugal game are Schulte and Schramm out ("personal reasons", I reckon injuries especially Schramm who was carried off the pitch against Portugal)
Fischer and Duwe in. All legionnaires playing in France on board.

Squad:
Heidelberger RK: Sean Armstrong, Marcel Coetzee, Jarrid Els, Sebastian Ferreira, Samy Füchsel, Steffen Liebig, Pierre Mathurin, Jaco Otto, Raynor Parkinson, Jörn Schröder, Timo Vollenkemper
TSV Handschuhsheim: Marcus Bender
RG Heidelberg: Antony Dickinson
RK 03 Berlin: Falk Duwe
Neckarsulmer SU: Mark Fairhurst, Marcel Henn
Hannover 78: Pascal Fischer
RC Vannes (FR): Christopher Hilsenbeck, Tim Menzel
Stade Rochelais (FR): Eric Marks
SC Neuenheim: Nikolai Klewinghaus
Aurilliac (FR): Julius Nostadt
Carcassone (FR): Maxime Oltmann
RC Strasbourg (FR): Mika Tyumenev

http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/9505/37/
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby welshdragon2000 » Fri, 22 Jun 2018, 09:00

RugbyLiebe wrote:

They are leaving today. Apparently in three different travel groups due to the late notice of the flight. The latest group will arrive on Monday.
Changes in comparision to the Portugal game are Schulte and Schramm out ("personal reasons", I reckon injuries especially Schramm who was carried off the pitch against Portugal)
Fischer and Duwe in. All legionnaires playing in France on board.

Squad:
Heidelberger RK: Sean Armstrong, Marcel Coetzee, Jarrid Els, Sebastian Ferreira, Samy Füchsel, Steffen Liebig, Pierre Mathurin, Jaco Otto, Raynor Parkinson, Jörn Schröder, Timo Vollenkemper
TSV Handschuhsheim: Marcus Bender
RG Heidelberg: Antony Dickinson
RK 03 Berlin: Falk Duwe
Neckarsulmer SU: Mark Fairhurst, Marcel Henn
Hannover 78: Pascal Fischer
RC Vannes (FR): Christopher Hilsenbeck, Tim Menzel
Stade Rochelais (FR): Eric Marks
SC Neuenheim: Nikolai Klewinghaus
Aurilliac (FR): Julius Nostadt
Carcassone (FR): Maxime Oltmann
RC Strasbourg (FR): Mika Tyumenev

http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/9505/37/

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge of German rugby players but is this a full strength side prett much?

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Fri, 22 Jun 2018, 09:28

Has the German venue been finalised yet?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 22 Jun 2018, 09:37

welshdragon2000 wrote:Forgive me for my lack of knowledge of German rugby players but is this a full strength side prett much?

Full strength, apart from the total absent of Britain based German eligible players.

YamahaKiwi wrote:Has the German venue been finalised yet?

Nothing more than rumours. (Offenbach was mentioned, but it could have been only a wish). I could imagine that the Union blessed with only 2-3 administrative was more than
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Fri, 22 Jun 2018, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Fri, 22 Jun 2018, 09:50

RugbyLiebe wrote:
welshdragon2000 wrote:Forgive me for my lack of knowledge of German rugby players but is this a full strength side prett much?

Full strength, apart from the total absent of Britain based German eligible players.

Any particular reason why no British based German players?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 22 Jun 2018, 09:57

Thomas wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

Any particular reason why no British based German players?

Basically all the other players apart from Oltmann are German based or went through the German youth system. Closer ties for this games and longer availability would be my guess. Save those British players for the Repechage would be my hope :D

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Sun, 24 Jun 2018, 11:55

So prize for pr**k of the week (not for the first time) goes to Samoan Prime minister and RFU chairman Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi. See how he describes German rugby in the article linked below. And to think only T1 unions and their admin are supposed to be ignorant and arrogant, let alone his disrespect for his own nation's players! Oh, and if he thinks Samoan rugby can go no lower, then he is wrong. For a start, no longer being good enough to qualify for RWCs would be even worse. What an ar**hole! As for being sure things for a RWC QF even if they do qualify, in a pool with IRE, SCO, and hosts JPN, for a team that hasn't reached a QF for more than 20 years, what planet is the guy living on??!!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/104971545/samoan-prime-minister-says-his-rugby-team-have-no-guts-after-losing-streak

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 24 Jun 2018, 12:01

Arrogance knows no rugby tier status.

National Flag:
NicaraguaNicaragua

Postby Gen Santa » Sun, 24 Jun 2018, 15:30

whoa, what a shithead

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 25 Jun 2018, 13:22

YamahaKiwi wrote:So prize for pr**k of the week (not for the first time) goes to Samoan Prime minister and RFU chairman Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi. See how he describes German rugby in the article linked below. And to think only T1 unions and their admin are supposed to be ignorant and arrogant, let alone his disrespect for his own nation's players! Oh, and if he thinks Samoan rugby can go no lower, then he is wrong. For a start, no longer being good enough to qualify for RWCs would be even worse. What an ar**hole! As for being sure things for a RWC QF even if they do qualify, in a pool with IRE, SCO, and hosts JPN, for a team that hasn't reached a QF for more than 20 years, what planet is the guy living on??!!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/104971545/samoan-prime-minister-says-his-rugby-team-have-no-guts-after-losing-streak

Given that 1) Samoa was a German colony when they started playing rugby and they started 2) 50 years after the "fatherland" Germany, I guess their school system isn't the best anymore :D

Edit: apparently Samoa only started in the 1920ies, where they weren't a German colony anymore, but that makes 70 years and an Olympic medal later than Germany ;)

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 03:29

RugbyLiebe wrote:
YamahaKiwi wrote:So prize for pr**k of the week (not for the first time) goes to Samoan Prime minister and RFU chairman Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi. See how he describes German rugby in the article linked below. And to think only T1 unions and their admin are supposed to be ignorant and arrogant, let alone his disrespect for his own nation's players! Oh, and if he thinks Samoan rugby can go no lower, then he is wrong. For a start, no longer being good enough to qualify for RWCs would be even worse. What an ar**hole! As for being sure things for a RWC QF even if they do qualify, in a pool with IRE, SCO, and hosts JPN, for a team that hasn't reached a QF for more than 20 years, what planet is the guy living on??!!

Given that 1) Samoa was a German colony when they started playing rugby and they started 2) 50 years after the "fatherland" Germany, I guess their school system isn't the best anymore :D

Edit: apparently Samoa only started in the 1920ies, where they weren't a German colony anymore, but that makes 70 years and an Olympic medal later than Germany ;)

Yip, he is an ignorant twit. i hope the German team has a copy of his quote in the changing rooms. i'd be pretty motivated if I was a German player and read that sh**. If the guy wants to do something positive for Samoan rugby he could do worse than resigning as the chairman of the Samoan RFU. Wouldnt be surprised if a lot of the problems of Samoan rugby stem from his presence in the leadership.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 05:10

I hadn't understood that he is Prime Minister and Rugby Federation Chairman. Ok, the nation is tiny but it seems a "give all the chairs to me!" approach. At least this should mean that he was a rugby player, so there's a former rugby-man as prime minister.
According to wikipedia he is already famous (or infamous) because of some unusual decisions and declarations https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuilaepa_ ... alielegaoi

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 06:27

When you have someone like that in charge it's almost impossible to build a team properly or have a union run smoothly. No disrespect to any Samoan forums member, but I almost feel like losing to Germany in the playoffs may actually force them to get their house in order, or at the very least have WR come in to tell them to sort their shit out. They effectively gave Oceania endless chances to screw up and still qualify for the World Cup. If they can't beat Germany then there needs to be serious questions asked about how that union is being run.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 07:03

I think is a source of despair for many Samoans and unions that he has this double role. His comments is nothing new. But how do you replace him?

On a separate note, any news on the 14th venue? The German federation keep saying an announcement is soon

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 07:28

His thrash talk is nothing new. Genuine politics right there.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 08:41

thatrugbyguy wrote:If they can't beat Germany then there needs to be serious questions asked about how that union is being run.

These questions should be asked no matter what happens.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 09:32

If there was an other man as rugby chairman, the PM probably would have said: "Manu Samoa didn't win a match since autumn 2016, your management is a blatant disaster and you are fired! I take your chair!"
Instead the chairman is already himself, so the fault of the bad moment has to be given to the players... Nothing new under the sun : )

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 21:00

Thanks to the crazy Samoan, rugby has suddenly made it to nearly every major news-outlet in Germany. Otherwise most people wouldn't have even recognised Germany faces Samoa.
Not a great advertisement for the values of rugby though.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 09:31

RugbyLiebe wrote:Not a great advertisement for the values of rugby though.

Late to the party you may be, but welcome to RWC2019 qualifying, Germany!

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 09:41

Zhenya_Zima wrote:Late to the party you may be, but welcome to RWC2019 qualifying, Germany!

Thanks we tried our best to lead to way from the beginning and create a nice scandal before the 2nd phase, the REC 2018, even started. Little did we know that this would've been topped by our fellow European nations and lead to us stumbling over Portugal. Which sent us to our former colony Samoa, whose president belittles us in front of his parliament to welcome us Samoan style.
Happy times such a Qualifier, no soap opera can match this.

I must confess I am a little disappointed about Russia. No huge scandal yet, not even a small doping case or lost players in Siberia. What a time to be alive :D

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum