Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2020 Olympic Games 7s

2020 Olympic Games 7s

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 09:55

Thought it would be helpful to have a dedicated topic as the news get buried in the plethora of general 7s or regional news. A pity we are stuck with the 12 team format again.

Any old info already posted please feel free to copy it here.

Dates: 27 July to 1 August 2020 - Men's: 27th, 28th, 29th July; Women's 30th, 31st July and 1st August.
Venue: Tokyo Stadium

victorsra wrote:
The 2018-19 South American Sevens Series will serve as 2020 Olympic qualifier.

No. As I undestood there will be another Olympics Qualy, probably in May, TBA.

Canalina wrote:I think to remember that the regional championship is alternatively one year XV and one year 7s. This season it's time of 7s.
Somehow those 7s tournaments will be also part of the Olympic Games qualifying, or at least Rugby Africa said so

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:
La Côte d’Ivoire accueillera le championnat Régional d’Afrique de rugby à 7 (Régional 7’S). Une compétition pré-qualificative pour les Jeux Olympiques de 2020. Cette compétition qui rassemblera 10 pays (l’Algérie, le Burkina Faso, le Benin, La Côte d’Ivoire, la Guinée, le Mali, le Niger, le Nigeria, la Sierra Leone et le Togo), se déroulera du 15 au 16 septembre 2018 au Stade Robert Champroux de Marcory.

http://www.lintelligentdabidjan.info/ne ... septembre/

There must be a southern Zone too, since teams like Malawi, Lesotho, the two Congos etc are listed on the Rugby Afrique site but I can't find news of it.

Canalina wrote:from twitter

Martin Cross @MartinXRugby
BREAKING: The IOC have announced that the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games Rugby 7’s will again feature in the first week of the Games with matches being played across six days of two sessions per day from 27 July to 1 August 2020
Last edited by Ser Podrick of Payne on Tue, 24 Jul 2018, 17:03, edited 3 times in total.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: 2020 Olympic Games 7s

Postby Thomas » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 12:26

is the UK Qualifying the same as last time?

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 12:42

I assume it will be the same as for 2016 that there will be a European Regional qualification tournament series. The WRSS 2018/19 is also a qualifying tournament but since England / Scotland / Wales compete separately I don't know if one of those teams finishes in a spot with automatic qualification then GB are qualified?

I can't even find how many teams can qualify through the WRSS.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 18 Jul 2018, 01:46

I guess that there will be no changes to the continental spots for the 2020 Olympic tournament and Olympic repechage.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 24 Jul 2018, 13:37

If the tempo of the march will be the same of Rio 2016 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_sev ... tournament) the next European Grand Prix, in 2019, will be qualifying for the olympics. This means that Belgium, Lithuania, Ukraine and all the other nations not part of the current Grand Prix or not qualified for the next one (Romania) are already out of the Olympics?

https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/sites/defaul ... y_2018.png

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 24 Jul 2018, 13:41

If the tempo of the march is the same of Rio 2016 there should be a European repechage:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Rugb ... Tournament

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 24 Jul 2018, 13:47

Armchair Fan wrote:If the tempo of the march is the same of Rio 2016 there should be a European repechage:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Rugb ... Tournament

I might be wrong, but I always had the feeling this repechage was only created to give Ireland a chance to qualify for the Olympics. Apart from that, this tournament made no sense whatsoever imho. Best teams from GPS who are not qualified through W7S qualify. End of story.

In ceterum censeo that only Olympic federations should be allowed to play 7s at both W7S and GPS.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 24 Jul 2018, 14:05

Yes, I have the same feeling but who knows. It's also a bit hard to swallow that Great Britain has theoretically five chances to qualify (three through World Series and two through European Grand Prix Series).

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 24 Jul 2018, 15:06

Armchair Fan wrote:Yes, I have the same feeling but who knows. It's also a bit hard to swallow that Great Britain has theoretically five chances to qualify (three through World Series and two through European Grand Prix Series).

And by doing so (starting as GB1 and GB2 before Olympic years) risking state money for all the other Unions involved as when two teams from the same country take part it is technically not a European championship anymore, so you don't get funding for it. A major fear of the German Union, which was avoided closely if I remember that right.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 24 Jul 2018, 15:17

My concern is rather that if England needs a good result in Paris Sevens to be Top 4 in Sevens World Series and plays against Wales or Scotland... will the latter players tackle and run as if nothing was at stake? Will they risk their chances of going to the Olympics?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 24 Jul 2018, 15:34

from twitter

Martin Cross @MartinXRugby
BREAKING: The IOC have announced that the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games Rugby 7’s will again feature in the first week of the Games with matches being played across six days of two sessions per day from 27 July to 1 August 2020

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Tue, 24 Jul 2018, 17:12

Thanks, here's the official announcement at the website: https://www.worldrugby.org/news/351716

This is key considering what transpired over this last weekend in SF.

“By alternating the schedule, the world’s top women’s teams have the opportunity to shine on ‘Super Saturday’, the biggest moment of the Games, which is extremely exciting for the advancement and popularity of women’s sevens.”

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Thu, 26 Jul 2018, 07:19

Armchair Fan wrote:My concern is rather that if England needs a good result in Paris Sevens to be Top 4 in Sevens World Series and plays against Wales or Scotland... will the latter players tackle and run as if nothing was at stake? Will they risk their chances of going to the Olympics?

Makes me wonder whether you've met any Welsh or Scottish people. There is nothing they like better than beating England, and they probably think any GB 7s team would be 90% English anyway.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 27 Jul 2018, 00:09

I support the Olympic repechage tournament. It's a good way to distribute the last spot, and encourages smaller countries to invest.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 27 Jul 2018, 06:35

NaBUru38 wrote:I support the Olympic repechage tournament. It's a good way to distribute the last spot, and encourages smaller countries to invest.

We were talking about the European repechage tournament before the "World" repechage tournament. The world one is fine.

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 28 Jul 2018, 20:23

Copied here from the Africa thread

Canalina wrote:Africa Regional South (or "Centre", as the newspaper calls it) confirmed for september 29 and 30. Venue will be Bujumbura, Burundi's capitol city. Six teams involved: Burundi, Rwanda, Congo, Congo Brazzaville, Gabon, Lesotho.

So we have the Pre-qualification for Africa - men's at least - now

15 & 16 September in Côte d’Ivoire: (TBC if all will actually participate) Algeria, Burkina Faso, Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea (Conakry), Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Togo
29 & 30 September in Burundi: Burundi, Rwanda, Congo-Kinshasa, Congo-Brazzaville, Gabon, Lesotho.

Postby Raven » Wed, 01 Aug 2018, 10:45

Bit of a strange question, but with with Charles Piutau trying to find a way to play for Tonga in the upcoming RWC, does anybody know if there´s any confirmed cases of players already lined up to try to use the Olympic eligibility loophole?

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 01 Aug 2018, 15:42

Raven wrote:Bit of a strange question, but with with Charles Piutau trying to find a way to play for Tonga in the upcoming RWC, does anybody know if there´s any confirmed cases of players already lined up to try to use the Olympic eligibility loophole?

Samoa is going to attempt to do so with several players, although the article doesn't say whom specifically: https://www.radionz.co.nz/international ... s-loophole

National Flag:

Postby The Captain's Run » Wed, 01 Aug 2018, 18:28

Armchair Fan wrote:My concern is rather that if England needs a good result in Paris Sevens to be Top 4 in Sevens World Series and plays against Wales or Scotland... will the latter players tackle and run as if nothing was at stake? Will they risk their chances of going to the Olympics?

Well, we can look at what happened the last time around. England was the qualifying team for Team GB in the 2014-15 SWS campaign ahead of the 2016 Olympics. They did not face any of the other GB teams at the Gold Coast, Dubai, South Africa, USA, and Scotland tournaments. Here are the results when they did face off:
Wellington - England def. Scotland 24-19 in the semifinals.
Hong Kong - England def. Wales 26-19 in the pool stage.
Japan - England def. Wales 10-7 in the pool stage. England went on to win this tournament and pass Australia into 4th place for the first time since the opening tournament.
London - Scotland def. England 22-19 in the pool stage. England was ahead of Australia by 16 points entering the tournament and needed only to qualify for the cup quarterfinals to clinch 4th place, which they had achieved before this final pool stage match.

I think we were lucky enough to avoid the more obvious scenario you described with England entering the final tournament with a healthy lead over Australia, but the Hong Kong and Japan matches against Wales might be a little suspect. Japan in particular, as England stood a good chance of not qualifying for the cup QFs if they lose to Wales with Fiji as their last group match. That said, a 3-1 record against Scotland and Wales over the course of four matches would be expected for England. And that's probably fewer matches than England would typically play against those two teams over a season given that you can expect to face any given team 3-4 times over the course of the year. I think World Rugby adjusted the schedules to avoid those match-ups in pool play as much as possible.

Those results are enough for me to say that despite all that may be done to ensure fairness in the qualifying process, it would still be better to have Great Britain play as one team in qualifying years.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Thu, 02 Aug 2018, 10:01

Is there any truth to the rumours that Frank Halai also wants to play for Tonga?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 02 Aug 2018, 13:04

Lets recap the rules for the loophole. The player needs to be a passport holder and plays in X tournaments of an 7s event which doubles or solely is an Olympic qualifying event.

World Series: (but any player needs to be a part in X tournaments)

America: X Tournaments
Africa: x tournaments
Oceania: x tournaments
Europe: x GPS tournaments, if not a GPS-Series-team x tournament(s)
Asia: x tournaments

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Thu, 02 Aug 2018, 13:18

RugbyLiebe wrote:Lets recap the rules for the loophole. The player needs to be a passport holder and plays in X tournaments of an 7s event which doubles or solely is an Olympic qualifying event.

Also having stand down for 3 years before playing for the new country under IOC guidelines, and play Four qualifying tournaments

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 02 Aug 2018, 13:43

Thomas wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:Lets recap the rules for the loophole. The player needs to be a passport holder and plays in X tournaments of an 7s event which doubles or solely is an Olympic qualifying event.

Also having stand down for 3 years before playing for the new country under IOC guidelines, and play Four qualifying tournaments

Four World Series tournaments I reckon. Four qualifying tournaments is simply not possible for Tonga i.e. They don't play that much.
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Thu, 02 Aug 2018, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 02 Aug 2018, 14:45

Isn't it five tournaments this year, or did I read that wrong somewhere?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 02 Aug 2018, 18:07

I believe the rules say it must be 50% of the qualifiers the nation takes part in. So it would be 5 SWS tournaments, or two European GPS, one South American tournament or the only Olympic qualifier in other regions.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum