Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Repechege Battle 2018

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Repechege Battle 2018

Postby Neptune » Tue, 21 Aug 2018, 21:37

Four teams from four continents will dine in France in a round robin format for the last chance to go to the 2019 RWC.
Hong Kong - Asia (21)
Canada - Americas (23)
Kenya - Africa (28)
Germany - Europe (29)

Which team will finally bag the final slot to the RWC and what are the odds for each team.

Playing squads to be released in due time.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Repechege Battle 2018

Postby qwerty » Tue, 21 Aug 2018, 21:52

As bad as Canada might be doing, I think they'll end up qualifying.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Tue, 21 Aug 2018, 22:48

I've been following the complicated world cup qualifying process...Hong kong had an easier route into the repechage...Germany was a formality even though they gave it a good shot against Samoa. Kenya came as good as they get against Namibia, they are contenders. Canada are having a rough time since they qualified earlier in the year. I reckon it will be a good tournament in France. Anyone can win it.
Kenya and Canada are my favourites....due to the level of teams they played during qualifying. I could be totally wrong in this post but just what I am thinking.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 21 Aug 2018, 22:59

Canada marginal favourites, Kenya a while behind everyone else for me. Hong Kong and Germany roughly equal in my mind. 65/15/15/5 Canada/Hong Kong/Germany/Kenya for me.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 21 Aug 2018, 23:47

Coaching stuff being what it is for Germany, they're probably done. Canada is 2-6 in Tests this year and seventh loss to ARG XV. Canada 'A' which is most of Les Rouges proper just got wrecked by two French sides in pre-season. Gonna put them at the bottom with Germany. They are finding ways to lose right now.

Postby 4N » Tue, 21 Aug 2018, 23:51

No fan of Kingsley Jones but I think Canada will still have too much. But it would be great to see Kenya qualify and I hope they do.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 03:00

From a Kenyan perspective, I can say we have met all the teams in the repechege before apart from Canada.
The Simbas have played Hong Kong thrice, winning once, drawing once and loosing once. Against Germany, the Simbas lost 31-30 courtesy of an 81st minute drop goal by Raynor Parkinson. Canada is the only team the Simbas haven't encountered.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 03:21

12 months ago I would have said Canada easily. Now? Genuine coin toss. I honestly don't know who will go through. From what I've seen of the teams so far this year Kenya I would rank least likely, I think they showed in the Gold cup they've got a lot of areas they need to work on. Germany, well they did well in the return leg against Samoa, the first leg I'm putting down to travel and climate being a factor. Hong Kong looked pretty comfortable against the Cooks, and they've had the advantage of having a professional environment, but also not enough higher level competition. And Canada, well, to say they're in a bad spot on and off the field is an understatement, moral is at an all time low and there's going to play a part on the field. I could easily see a situation where teams end up beating each other and bonus points decide who goes through. It's that unpredictable in my opinion.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 07:22

TheStroBro wrote:Coaching stuff being what it is for Germany, they're probably done.

I've honestly no idea what you are talking about. What do you mean?

My guesses are
Canada 50, HK 20, Germany 20, Kenya 10
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 07:31

Canada should win this. Kenya will have to improve slightly to have a shot, but I think it's not impossible. Germany would be fun to see, especially if there is a possibility of getting the sport going somewhere without Wild (I really don't think there is a chance...sadly). Hong Kong can pull off a surprise, but to win the whole thing? Nah.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 07:47

It is gonna be interesting who plays who first.

My wild guesses are
1st round
best ranked team vs. worst ranked team (Canada vs. Germany) (rankings as now)
2nd vs 3rd (HK vs. Kenya)

2ndround
1st vs. 3rd
2nd vs 4th

1st vs. 2nd
3rd vs. 4th

I would set it up like this as you want the potential two best teams playing each other in the last round. But who knows.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 07:55

RugbyLiebe wrote:It is gonna be interesting who plays who first.

My wild guesses are
1st round
best ranked team vs. worst ranked team (Canada vs. Germany) (rankings as now)
2nd vs 3rd (HK vs. Kenya)

2ndround
1st vs. 3rd
2nd vs 4th

1st vs. 2nd
3rd vs. 4th

I would set it up like this as you want the potential two best teams playing each other in the last round. But who knows.

Canada vs. Germany in the first round? In this case Germans have some chances.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 08:03

wouldn't it be better to first see the first results?
If you have an automated schedule it'd be possible to win the tournament after 2 games. That would suck, wouldn't it?

there are problems with my proposal too. I would go for a draw. No seedings.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 08:27

rey200 wrote:wouldn't it be better to first see the first results?
If you have an automated schedule it'd be possible to win the tournament after 2 games. That would suck, wouldn't it?

Think this through. In any schedule you can win the tournament after 2 games. There is no other way in a round-robin of 4 teams.
What does an not automated-system (which is BS as how do you termine who you play next? the one who also lost or the one who won?) or a draw change? The rankings are at least an indicator which the two best teams are and I would arrange their meeting in the last round.

More important matters are:
Do we know which point system is applied? If it is the "regular" one with bonus points for 4 tries and defensive bonus point?

BigGrey200 wrote:Canada vs. Germany in the first round? In this case Germans have some chances.

On the other hand this could be rather depressing. If you lose against Canada, you chances are extremely low to make the big comeback to qualify.
The other scheduling system would be randomization, which kind of kills how rankings are normally used in World Rugby.

Postby Raven » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 08:31

I´m not inventing the wheel here, but I agree with most, Canada are the biggest candidates in spite of their current form.

-IMHO Kenya this year is a step below the rest, boy did they screw up their chances to make it to the last RWC....
-Hong Kong hasn´t really played strong opposition but has had good games, I don´t know if they can play 80 minutes in great level against these 3 other teams though. As for them having a paved route to the Repechage, considering Asia doesn´t get a direct spot in the RWC (as Japan is both host and had qualified), it´s only logical that they did something like this.
-Germany is a box of surprises, in 2017 they were looking very good, even in some 2016 games; in 2018 we hardly saw the first pick team out there and when we did see most of it, they were facing one of the biggest T2 countries there is.

I´ve said it before, it will come down to player availability and training time prior to the tournament (there is where I think Kenya and Hong Kong might have a bit of a plus) But one thing is for sure, I quite like the open possibilities... I would expect close games, if Romania or Spain would have been here it would be a complete different story.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 08:33

RugbyLiebe wrote:

We do not have the schedule yet. Simply, it is my thought. Germany vs. Canada has more chances in the first round.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 09:12

RugbyLiebe wrote:

Think this through. In any schedule you can win the tournament after 2 games. There is no other way in a round-robin of 4 teams.
What does an not automated-system (which is BS as how do you termine who you play next? the one who also lost or the one who won?) or a draw change? The rankings are at least an indicator which the two best teams are and I would arrange their meeting in the last round.

yeah ok, with the try BP there is no way to prevent a team from winning after 2 rounds. A draw changes something: you can't try to prefer a team. You know the old blazers story, the thing that makes you believe Rugby values exist on paper but not in reality. Or do you think the World Cup scheduling is fair?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 09:42

The only way you solve the issue of winning after 2 games is to have a final, and as far as I know the repechage isn't going to have one. Whoever tops the groups wins from what I understand.

Postby Raven » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 10:33

thatrugbyguy wrote:The only way you solve the issue of winning after 2 games is to have a final, and as far as I know the repechage isn't going to have one. Whoever tops the groups wins from what I understand.

I like this format a lot more than how it used to be.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 11:25

rey200 wrote:
yeah ok, with the try BP there is no way to prevent a team from winning after 2 rounds. A draw changes something: you can't try to prefer a team. You know the old blazers story, the thing that makes you believe Rugby values exist on paper but not in reality. Or do you think the World Cup scheduling is fair?

You are mixing up two things here. A group of 4 is always fair, as everyone plays their games on the same day. It doesn't matter who they play when.
Everyone had the same regenaration time (those 2 hours don't make a difference to say that a team is prefered by anyone), everyone has the next game on the same day.

That's exactly the problem of the RWC. Uneven groups where not every team plays on the same day as all the other teams in their group. But in the repechage there are 4 teams, not 5 in the group.
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 11:35

thatrugbyguy wrote:The only way you solve the issue of winning after 2 games is to have a final, and as far as I know the repechage isn't going to have one. Whoever tops the groups wins from what I understand.

Because it makes no sense whatsoever and is a non-issue. Only in rugby we try to shoot ourselves in the foot by creating something like we want it to be fair, but not so fair that we don't get a final game which is truely important. :lol:
It is bloody sport. And thank god for once we have a tournament with 4 teams nearly on the same level. That is absolutely great.

There are 4 teams.
Two solutions:
1. Semi-final and final. That makes 3 (4) games, which two (four) teams playing once.
2. Round-robin, that makes 6 games, every team playing three times and against every opponent, and we know that the best team emerges to the RWC.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 11:53

We already know that it's a round robin

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 12:02

dwpeate wrote:We already know that it's a round robin

And thankfully for once World Rugby has opted for the best solution. Still I don't understand what is keeping them back from posting when exactly every team plays his opponents.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 12:22

WR should come up with a schedule early enough, so that teams also prepare themselves psychologically. But based on the rankings, if things remain as is, ceteris paribas, we should see 1st play 4th, then 2nd play 3rd, which in this case would be Canada vs Germany then Kenya vs Hong Kong.

A plus on WR's side is putting the game on a neutral venue, unlike Rugby Afrique who always give Namibia their toughest games in Windhoek, year in year out.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 12:56

Canada are obviously the favourites but it will be interesting to see, I think the draw might make a big difference as I can see Canada stuffing up the first game but if anyone else gets into a knockout game with them at the end surely Canada's experience will shine through.

Side note, politically speaking does anyone know what the view would be in China if Hong Kong qualified? I'd think a symbol of an independent Hong Kong on the world stage wouldn't go down so well?

Next

Return to Rugby Forum