Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Repechege Battle 2018

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Repechege Battle 2018

Postby amz » Fri, 05 Oct 2018, 21:24

Neptune wrote:
Raven wrote:Is this for real? I hope there aren't any more disqualified teams for whatever reasons there might be.

on what grounds will there be disqualification of a team? Unless in the case of Rugby Europe where Romania played Judge, Jury, Prosecutor and the DEA in a deciding match against Spain, I don't see any reason to disqualify either of the four participant teams. If Namibia decide to abort ship, then the Simbas should go ahead as Africa 1, while Uganda get to go to Marseille for the repechege. Even if they won't have time to prepare, it will be good experience for the Ssebos and their boys.

you'll have more nightmares with Romania after November match

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 05 Oct 2018, 22:32

qwerty wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:Preview of what Canada will look like during the APC. Canada A is basically a full strength squad minus DTH, Ardron, and Olmstead. So if they perform poorly they're gonna be bad in November.

Uruguay will field a strong team as well, except for some European-based players.

Hence my point about them possibly getting taken to the woodshed.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby north walian » Fri, 05 Oct 2018, 22:41

TheStroBro wrote:Preview of what Canada will look like during the APC. Canada A is basically a full strength squad minus DTH, Ardron, and Olmstead. So if they perform poorly they're gonna be bad in November.

Plus Ilnlcki, Larsen, O'Leary, Trainor, Paris,Evans, Beukeboom,Hearn.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Fri, 05 Oct 2018, 22:57

north walian wrote:

So not really full strength

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Sat, 06 Oct 2018, 00:12

qwerty wrote:
north walian wrote:

So not really full strength

Current full strength is probably:

1) ???
2) Barkwill/Howard/Piffero
3) Jake Ilnicki
4) Josh Larsen
5) Brett Beukeboom
6) Kyle Baillie
7) Evan Olmstead
8) Tyler Ardron
9) Phil Mack
10) Shane O’Leary
11) DTH van der Merwe
12) Ciaran Hearn/Connor Braid
13) Conor Trainor
14) Taylor Paris
15) Matt Evans

16) Barkwill/Howard/Piffero
17) ???
18) Matt Tierney
19) Paul Ciulini/Matt Beukeboom
20) Matt Heaton
21) Gordon McRorie
22) Connor Braid/Ciaran Hearn
23) Dan Moor

There’s no real outstanding Hooker though Ray Barkwill is the safe bet to start even if Benoit Piffero is a starter in Fédérale 1. And presently no Loosehead is putting his hand up to be the starter. Though I’d like to see them try the big South African, Clint Lemkus, at Loosehead when he’s both healthy and qualified even if he’s usually a Tighthead.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 06 Oct 2018, 01:14

north walian wrote:

Excepting that all of those guys aren't in even level 2 competitions. So not showing up is more not putting a hand up imo.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Sat, 06 Oct 2018, 03:05

TheStroBro wrote:
north walian wrote:

Excepting that all of those guys aren't in even level 2 competitions. So not showing up is more not putting a hand up imo.

Aside from Hearn those guys are all decently consistently in their Championship or Mitre 10 Cup sides game day 23. Most of them often starting it seems. Makes more sense for them to stay with their clubs than to bring them in for a mostly developmental tournament. Give the domestic guys one last chance to showcase themselves, though the lot they’re bringing have consistently shown not to be up to par yet keep getting picked.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Sat, 06 Oct 2018, 21:11

Will the repechage be televised/streamed do you know?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 07 Oct 2018, 00:15

World Rugby have been streaming qualifiers recently, I'd imagine they'll do it for this.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sun, 07 Oct 2018, 15:02

Tomster7uk wrote:Will the repechage be televised/streamed do you know?

It will be shown on Pro7Maxx in Germany which is a free-to-air-tv-channel. So yes from that alone everybody will be able to watch it.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Postby Raven » Sun, 07 Oct 2018, 19:14

I believe Germany has been doing some trainings with a few players but can't seem to find the list, anybody can provide it? I don't suppose there being major changes nor additions as it's mainly local based players...

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 08 Oct 2018, 07:32

Raven wrote:I believe Germany has been doing some trainings with a few players but can't seem to find the list, anybody can provide it? I don't suppose there being major changes nor additions as it's mainly local based players...

https://www.rugby-verband.de/naechster- ... er-drv-xv/

Berliner RC: Hendrik Zimmermann, Mick Burisch, Levin Störzinger, Constantin Hasenauer, Marvin Ugbomor
BSC Offenbach: Winston Cameron-Dow
FC St. Pauli: Ben Ellermann
Hannover 78: Jan Piosik, Rafael Pyrasch
Heidelberger RK: Jörn Schröder, Dash Barber, Nikita Ovchinnikov, Sean Armstrong, Steffen Liebig, Niklas Hohl, Felix Lammers
RG Heidelberg: Robin Plümpe
RSV Köln: Morne Laubscher
SC Frankfurt 1880: Marcel Becker, Jens Listmann, Michael Poppmeier, Emil Rupf, Marcel Henn, Raynor Parkinson, Samy Füchsel
SC Germania List: Stefan Mau
SC Neuenheim: Oliver Paine
TSV Handschuhsheim: Jaco Otto, Marcus Bender, Paul Schüle, Felix Martel, Max Reinhard, Nicolai Klewinghaus, Marcel Coetzee, Eden Syme
Aberdeen (SCO): Matthias Schösser
Cambridge (ENG): Benjamin Ibrahim
Vereinslos: Kurt Haupt
England: Kain Rix
Otley (ENG): Oliver Goss

Kurt Haupt is a South-African-born hooker with some Super Rugby experience. Last year he played for the Worcester Warriors.
Never heard about Oliver Goss and Benjamin Ibrahim.
Google reveals that Goss played in the RU Championship for the last 9 years (first for Doncaster and then for Yorkshire Carnegie) and after that he played amateur rugby for the last year.

Ibrahim is a loose-head prop.
Interesting read about him: http://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/s ... -1-5690894

Actually this answers a question I've always asked. His grandmother was born in Breslau (now Wroclaw in Poland) when it was still a part of Germany.
Can't remember who wrote that this was the case for eligibility (that if cities change the country, the old country still counts). But the guy was right ;-)

All the others are local based players and/or regulars.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Postby Raven » Mon, 08 Oct 2018, 12:13

Right, thanks @RugbyLiebe, now I guess my question is, did all the above participate? Or some were called and couldn't come?

It's strange to see a few players from 2nd and even 3rd division -in the local league- being called up (not that it cannot happen, but it's still strange)

Many guys playing now abroad, I know, but I thought Timo Vollenkamper and Sebastian Ferreira were still in GER...? What happened with Schramm?? He's gone completely under the radar, AFAIK wanted to pursue a career in USA but isn't announced anywhere...

Kurt Haupt can be a good addition, I'd like to see Alan Kessen again in the current squad, with a RWC chance in the horizon...

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 08 Oct 2018, 13:40

Raven wrote:It's strange to see a few players from 2nd and even 3rd division -in the local league- being called up (not that it cannot happen, but it's still strange)

It is not strange. Neuenheim in the 2nd division has about 10 national team players under contract. They will go straight back up again.
Offenbach plays 3rd division only because a strange argument between them and their regional federation, that they weren't eligible to be promoted.

Both players have been regulars in the national team in the years before, but are slowly closing in on their careers.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 08 Oct 2018, 18:58

http://officiating.worldrugby.org/index ... ents&id=84

According to this link, games are on November 10th, 17th, and 23rd, rather than the first round being on 11th.

I think order of play remains the same however.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 08 Oct 2018, 20:53

Update on the now 5 Germans playing in France.
Nostadt is a starting prop, Menzel has atm the starting 9, while Hilsenbeck plays switching starting 10 and off the bench. Oltmann is back from injury.
Ferreira is now with Chambery in 3rd division.
He apparently had some difficulties to find a club under the restrictions that he definitely will be away for national team duties the repechage for all of november. But that seems to be sorted now.
http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/9621/37/

Postby Raven » Tue, 09 Oct 2018, 10:23

RugbyLiebe wrote:It is not strange. Neuenheim in the 2nd division has about 10 national team players under contract. They will go straight back up again.
Offenbach plays 3rd division only because a strange argument between them and their regional federation, that they weren't eligible to be promoted.
Both players have been regulars in the national team in the years before, but are slowly closing in on their careers.

Yeah, I am aware of what happened in Neuenheim, they also have 2 National Emblems as coaches too. Nonetheless, its 3 guys playing in lower leagues in Germany (don´t forget there´s one from Köln), however I don´t expect them to make the starting XV if all the best players are available BUT if they do, good on them! I´m not against it, just pointing it out; wouldn´t be strange to see a player from Fed 1 / 2 or National One, but from the local league not something that happens everyday.

RugbyLiebe wrote:Update on the now 5 Germans playing in France.
Nostadt is a starting prop, Menzel has atm the starting 9, while Hilsenbeck plays switching starting 10 and off the bench. Oltmann is back from injury.
Ferreira is now with Chambery in 3rd division.

I had seen that and literally came here to post it... however there are some more eligible players in France that have been left out as "possibles" in the article, still uncertain on his recovery, Zani Dembele would be the most interesting prospect, as he is a part of Racing 92s Espoirs. Then Mika Tyumenev (in Nice) and Harris Aounallah (Dijon) could be another two to take a closer look.
Lastly I could also mention Ducau and Brechenmacher, but with 22 years of age each they will probably be a part of the upcoming German rugby scene once this once in a lifetime opportunity ends.

RugbyLiebe wrote:He apparently had some difficulties to find a club under the restrictions that he definitely will be away for national team duties the repechage for all of november. But that seems to be sorted now.
http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/9621/37/

Hmm… Interesting, cause he was also in conversations with Nottingham at one point, I don´t suppose there will be any restrictions for the other players playing in England or France in light of this problems he had…?

Question, if a player is born in a UK military base on a German town, does that make them eligible for Germany? It´s not the first time I´ve daydreamed and posted on this forum, and I have wondered several times why no one has talked with Rory Clegg (yes, he did play for for Eng. Saxons, but using the 7s loophole...) and Tom Hicks (now in Doncaster but has played for Northampton and Gloucester... I don´t suppose there are many players of that level)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 09 Oct 2018, 11:14

Raven wrote:Question, if a player is born in a UK military base on a German town, does that make them eligible for Germany? It´s not the first time I´ve daydreamed and posted on this forum, and I have wondered several times why no one has talked with Rory Clegg (yes, he did play for for Eng. Saxons, but using the 7s loophole...) and Tom Hicks (now in Doncaster but has played for Northampton and Gloucester... I don´t suppose there are many players of that level)

If you (or your parents or your grand-parents) are born in Germany you are eligible for Germany. Doesn't matter if on a military base or a civil hospital. My guess is that most players will have actively approached the federation to play for Germany. I mean there's nothing apart from the good old honour to be play for a national team to be earned.

Good spot with the other Germans in France. Especially Tyumenev is an unusal absent. Aounallah was more with the 7s setup. No idea about Ducau and Brechenmacher, Dembele had a serious injury against Romania this year and he's still quite young.
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Tue, 09 Oct 2018, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 09 Oct 2018, 11:27

About the 7s loophole. That's only something for Pacific Islanders. European teams need two (or even three) GPs tournaments to use the loophole. If it was easy Toby Flood has already said he would play for Germany. Another point is that the 7s programme gets the Union good state money, so nobody will want to risk that for one additional player at a 15s RWC.

Tom Hicks is indeed a nice find. Doesn't seem to be captured as well.

Postby Raven » Tue, 09 Oct 2018, 12:02

RugbyLiebe wrote:About the 7s loophole. That's only something for Pacific Islanders. European teams need two (or even three) GPs tournaments to use the loophole. If it was easy Toby Flood has already said he would play for Germany. Another point is that the 7s programme gets the Union good state money, so nobody will want to risk that for one additional player at a 15s RWC.

Tom Hicks is indeed a nice find. Doesn't seem to be captured as well.

But Toby Flood is currently 33, wouldn't make it for this RWC IF GER qualifies for it, whereas Clegg who's 28, still has some juice in him (although I admit he looked better 2 or 3 years ago when in Glasgow) and isn't at a bad age to start and bow off his international career with a new team.

With or without the state money, he still is a hell of a player to let go just because, and surely the entire German set up could benefit from a player like him... *I'm not a particular fan of Hilsenbeck, although I can admit he's talented, I suppose it's the story of his life as he fails to secure a starting place on every team he's played for despite the several chances. Parkinson could go 12, Schulte at 15, Coetzee on one wing, Oltmann on the other...Not bad for a T3 team.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Tue, 09 Oct 2018, 14:06

dwpeate wrote:http://officiating.worldrugby.org/index.php?page=appointments&id=84

According to this link, games are on November 10th, 17th, and 23rd, rather than the first round being on 11th.

Kenya’s RFU still believes the first game is on the Sunday going by a recent post on their website about ticketing details.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 09 Oct 2018, 16:19

IanCleverly wrote:
dwpeate wrote:http://officiating.worldrugby.org/index.php?page=appointments&id=84

Kenya’s RFU still believes the first game is on the Sunday going by a recent post on their website about ticketing details.

:shock: Those pair of individuals at the Kenyan Union are the most clueless people you will ever meet. Most of them have never played rugby, nor
know the rules of rugby. :lol:

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Trendsetta » Tue, 09 Oct 2018, 16:53

Well, according to the link, the games begin on the 11th.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Tue, 09 Oct 2018, 18:29

Trendsetta wrote:

Well, according to the link, the games begin on the 11th.

Been updated since yesterday then. They didn't have kick off times then either.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby CM » Wed, 10 Oct 2018, 10:42

Germany is apparently playing a warmup game against Portugal on the 29th in Lisbon.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum