United StatesUnited States

Re: Repechege Battle 2018

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 05:13

For US folks, this is on NBC Gold.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Indepth » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 08:54

Germany will travel to France on monday and 2 more players will be cut from the squad before the team will depart.
Maxime Oltmann (Carcassone Rugby, ProD2) was a suprise omission from the squad.

Source: http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/9647/37/

First XV from my current point of view:

1. Samy Füchsel (183cm, 115kg)
2. Kurt Haupt (190cm, 110kg)
3. Julius Nostadt (186cm, 118kg)
4. Michael Poppmeier (197cm, 115kg)
5. Eric Marks (196cm, 110 kg)
6. Sebastian Ferreira (195cm, 112kg)
7. Jaco Otto (did not find reliable information, so educated guess 1,82cm, 100kg)
8. Jarrid Els or Ayron Schramm (193cm, 110kg/ 193cm, 108kg)
9. Sean Armstrong
10. Raynor Parkinson - Hagen Schulte had a complicated fracture of his hand so he wont be matchfit, already suprise to see him being nominated, otherwise I would have him slot in at 10
11. Nikolai Klewinghaus/ Harris Aounallah
12. Jamie Murphy
13. Mathie Ducau
14. Marcel Coetzee
15. Chris Hilsenbeck

Strength of this team: really solid forward pack from a german perspective - not a lot of news emerged from this training match against portugal, but apparently the scrum was a big plus point. So I can see germanys game plan relying around a dominant set-piece with a solid defence and good fitness - Germany brought in Neil Potts, who used to be in charge of Scotlands XV fitness as they identified fitness as a key area to improve in such a short period of time

Where do you see the other teams strengths and weaknesses?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 09:46

Judging from the Africa Gold Cup I'd say Kenya's biggest issue was lack of structure. They've clearly got pace in the backs but they weren't patient enough.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 13:15

thatrugbyguy wrote:Judging from the Africa Gold Cup I'd say Kenya's biggest issue was lack of structure. They've clearly got pace in the backs but they weren't patient enough.

I totally agree, and as i said earlier, this is largely because of the coaching staff, led by Ian Snook and Murray Roulston who have absolutely no idea what they are doing. They field players out of position, and bring in 7s players who won't have any effect on the team. With all due respect to both coaches, i feel the team would have been better handled by local coaches who know where the shoe pinches the most, as they are also accustomed to the local league. The main problem is with the union having an African mentality that foreign coaches being attracted to Kenyan rugby is the second best thing to ever happen in the world after sliced bread. :|

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 13:40

A debate in one of the Kenyan shows concerning the player selection, and why many people have no confidence in the coaching outfit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jMzt3LNQEU

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby sanitycheck » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 18:04

Indepth wrote:Germany will travel to France on monday and 2 more players will be cut from the squad before the team will depart.
Maxime Oltmann (Carcassone Rugby, ProD2) was a suprise omission from the squad.

Source: http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/9647/37/

First XV from my current point of view:

1. Samy Füchsel (183cm, 115kg)
2. Kurt Haupt (190cm, 110kg)
3. Julius Nostadt (186cm, 118kg)
4. Michael Poppmeier (197cm, 115kg)
5. Eric Marks (196cm, 110 kg)
6. Sebastian Ferreira (195cm, 112kg)
7. Jaco Otto (did not find reliable information, so educated guess 1,82cm, 100kg)
8. Jarrid Els or Ayron Schramm (193cm, 110kg/ 193cm, 108kg)
9. Sean Armstrong
10. Raynor Parkinson - Hagen Schulte had a complicated fracture of his hand so he wont be matchfit, already suprise to see him being nominated, otherwise I would have him slot in at 10
11. Nikolai Klewinghaus/ Harris Aounallah
12. Jamie Murphy
13. Mathie Ducau
14. Marcel Coetzee
15. Chris Hilsenbeck

Strength of this team: really solid forward pack from a german perspective - not a lot of news emerged from this training match against portugal, but apparently the scrum was a big plus point. So I can see germanys game plan relying around a dominant set-piece with a solid defence and good fitness - Germany brought in Neil Potts, who used to be in charge of Scotlands XV fitness as they identified fitness as a key area to improve in such a short period of time

Where do you see the other teams strengths and weaknesses?

Swap parkinson and hilsenbeck around and i think theres your backline .
Formerly known as "Aus_in_Germany"

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Trendsetta » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 19:01

Neptune wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:Judging from the Africa Gold Cup I'd say Kenya's biggest issue was lack of structure. They've clearly got pace in the backs but they weren't patient enough.

I totally agree, and as i said earlier, this is largely because of the coaching staff, led by Ian Snook and Murray Roulston who have absolutely no idea what they are doing. They field players out of position, and bring in 7s players who won't have any effect on the team. With all due respect to both coaches, i feel the team would have been better handled by local coaches who know where the shoe pinches the most, as they are also accustomed to the local league. The main problem is with the union having an African mentality that foreign coaches being attracted to Kenyan rugby is the second best thing to ever happen in the world after sliced bread. :|

I think the coaches did the best with the little time they had with the team especially after they were hired very late in mid April. You are right about the selections like for example Mukidza playing center, and giving a start to a rookie Edmund Anya against Zim who was straight garbage. Its like he was using the Gold Cup as warmups to the repechage, because Snook kept stressing about lack of warmups (only one) before Gold cup. They did not watch any kenya cup games, they just chose the team with what they saw in training. Well, on the issue of sevens players, they impressed in training(no warmups games) more than akina OJ and there choices should be respected.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 19:21

Tim Menzel just fell injured in his ProD2 game...

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 21:02

Trendsetta wrote:
Neptune wrote:

I think the coaches did the best with the little time they had with the team especially after they were hired very late in mid April. You are right about the selections like for example Mukidza playing center, and giving a start to a rookie Edmund Anya against Zim who was straight garbage. Its like he was using the Gold Cup as warmups to the repechage, because Snook kept stressing about lack of warmups (only one) before Gold cup. They did not watch any kenya cup games, they just chose the team with what they saw in training. Well, on the issue of sevens players, they impressed in training(no warmups games) more than akina OJ and there choices should be respected.

Trendsetta, please, let us not argue about this. If you watched the Impala Floodlights last week, you would have seen Jacob Ojee in his true colours as a blindside 11 wing. I wouldn't know much about Oyoo, but i would say he punches high above his weight in the 7s version. In the xvs game, I wouldn't tell. Let's wait and see.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 22:59

Crawshays 24-35 Hong Kong. I would imagine it's 4 tries to 5

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 23:02

Hard to know what to make of these warm up games.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby rugby.change » Sat, 03 Nov 2018, 06:46

I watched Hong Kong last night against the Crawshays, they are looking good. Accurate the the break down, strong at the scrum and direct in attack. One's to watch.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 03 Nov 2018, 13:47

rugby.change wrote:I watched Hong Kong last night against the Crawshays, they are looking good. Accurate the the break down, strong at the scrum and direct in attack. One's to watch.

Hong Kong are bagging it.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sat, 03 Nov 2018, 22:04

Neptune wrote:
rugby.change wrote:I watched Hong Kong last night against the Crawshays, they are looking good. Accurate the the break down, strong at the scrum and direct in attack. One's to watch.

Just watched Kenya against Romania, Kenya will not be a threat in the repechage... Canada vs Hong Kong will determine the winner. Canada will come out the winner

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Sat, 03 Nov 2018, 22:14

snapper37 wrote:
Neptune wrote:

Just watched Kenya against Romania, Kenya will not be a threat in the repechage... Canada vs Hong Kong will determine the winner. Canada will come out the winner

I think that you're underestimating Germany, and given their warmup result, possibly overestimating Canada.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Sat, 03 Nov 2018, 22:29

I personally think, and bias plays a big part, that Canada will come out on top but why are people seemingly sleeping on Germany? Are they missing a bunch of players from their Samoa series? As for Canada, sure they weren’t impressive in the APC or against Oxford but we’re still running out a largely second string side. Having guys like Beukeboom, Olmstead, Baillie and Ardron in the forwards will make a good difference. And a set of backs consisting of Mack, O’Leary, Paris, Hearn(?), Trainor, DTH and Evans should be able to carve up T2.5/T3 opposition. Particularly if we can get it out to our wings who are starters in the Pro14 and Top 14.

Postby 4N » Sat, 03 Nov 2018, 22:36

Agree that HK could be the spoiler and possibly finish second. Canada are much better than these other sides though. Kenya’s preparation in particular has been very disappointing.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 03 Nov 2018, 22:36

The Kenya Simba boys should just go to marseille, post pictures on instagram on the Eiffel tower and earn caps. They should play and after the tournament go and have some good french beers and make merry, maybe even pick up some girls from the club, :P coz honestly, they are just on tour and are not real title contenders. :lol: :lol:

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 06:05

They will have to take many buses from Marseille to take pictures of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whatever the results of the repechage I hope all 4 teams get valuable experience for the future of the game and for when the WC is increased to 24.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 10:00

Caught about 20 mins of the Romania A game. Honestly, Kenya are no chance of qualifying. They are too disorganised, they have no forward power, they are undercooked. They should use this tournament as a learning experience and as a building block for 2023. So, it's down to one of the other three teams.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 10:25

French wine, not beer ;)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 14:41

Neptune wrote:They should play and after the tournament go and have some good french beers

That actually would be an achievement. Finding a good French beer is maybe harder than qualify for a RWC.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 16:41

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Neptune wrote:They should play and after the tournament go and have some good french beers

That actually would be an achievement. Finding a good French beer is maybe harder than qualify for a RWC.

Hehehe, So France has no good beers? :lol: , I wonder if any of the Simba boys can take wine as most are country boys used to hard liquor and beer. :lol:

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 16:43

Sables4EVA wrote:They will have to take many buses from Marseille to take pictures of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whatever the results of the repechage I hope all 4 teams get valuable experience for the future of the game and for when the WC is increased to 24.

Hopefully, but as we said earlier the PI's and their selfish interests actually appealed to WR to let everything stay ceteris paribas, which is very unfair, as they don't want others to grow. We only grow by lifting others up.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 16:46

My money is on Hong Kong, but i know it will come down to the wire between Hong Kong and Canada. But I know Hong Kong will come out on top. Germany and Kenya will be left fighting for the scraps :lol: ,

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum