Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Youth Internationals

Posts: 2336
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby victorsra » Thu, 22 Sep 2016, 03:33

That is not true in the slightest. I've been arguing this point for years, going back to when USA was in zero danger of missing out on the JWRT/JWC because they were in the JWC. .


If you say so ok, I believe. But we still have different approaches about this stuff. Let's agree with Natal. Soon we hope WR can expand the Championship to 16 teams and most of the T2s won't be disturbed by T3s :D
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 827
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 13:53
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby olivier » Thu, 22 Sep 2016, 14:32

Natal wrote:The clear solution is to restore the World Championship to 16 teams.

With only 20 teams in total at the moment (12+8), I think that this remains the fairest way of allocating places (how do you judge whether NA2 deserves the spot more than SA2, for example) insofar as it's pretty much random.


The clearest solution is to make rugby a normal sport...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_FIBA ... ampionship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_FIVB ... ampionship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Men% ... ampionship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Men% ... _World_Cup

It's humiliating...

User avatar
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 24 Sep 2016, 14:56

victorsra wrote:There is a dangerous thing that is already happening: the creation of local dynasties. Look at Namibia and Uruguay.
As Africa and South America have just 1 place and these countries are already showing more developed junior programs,
the fact that year after year they accumulate more and more international experience
can simply make the gap to the other nations (Brazil, Chile in South America, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Tunisia in Africa) bigger.


Correct. That's why the Americas Rugby Championships is a great idea.
Also, World Rugby has invited Brazil to several rounds of the Sevens World Series.

Posts: 139
Joined: Sat, 03 May 2014, 00:22
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby Scoob » Fri, 07 Oct 2016, 19:13

Does anyone know what is happening with the European under 18 champs for 2017?.Are Wales,Italy,Scotland,Ireland,England still going it alone after they sulked away into there own competition when Scotland got relegated from 2015 european under 18 competition.
Also there was rumours of Georgia maybe joining 6 nations under 20 teams,any more news on that?

Posts: 1342
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 07 Oct 2016, 20:36

They didn't actually get relegated but would have had to qualify but yes ENG,WAL,SCO,ITA & IRE are boycotting it again.

Posts: 358
Joined: Tue, 14 Apr 2015, 19:19
National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby tryman » Fri, 07 Oct 2016, 20:55

What is the exact reason they boycott this tournament? That the competition isn't good enough or is there structure more aligned to the U20s World Cup, there must be some sort of reason.

Anyway World Rugby should force (if they have to) them into a tournament like this.

Things have gone very quiet on Georgia U20s joining the Six Nations however if the senior side beat Scotland in November it will certainly help.

Posts: 1719
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 19:00
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 07 Oct 2016, 23:19

The excuse I saw given was that the timing didn't line up with school holidays in the UK. Not sure how legitimate it was.

Posts: 139
Joined: Sat, 03 May 2014, 00:22
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby Scoob » Sat, 08 Oct 2016, 01:06

It was never a problem when those 5 teams in question were beating Belgium,Portugal,Georgia etc for the previous number of years.The bottom of group A got replaced by winner of group B. This happened without incident for number of years with no problems everything ran like clockwork.But when Georgia beat Ireland and Italy,and Portugal beat Scotland in 2015 which translated to Scotland finishing bottom in group A,it became a real issue because Scotland were going to be in group B and competing with Romania,Holland,Spain etc.And rather than face the axe they banded round there allies and formed there own tournament.
A very selfish act that still rubs me the wrong way.Maybe it was a way of saying to Georgia that you will never play in the 6 nations with us and if that doesnt grate you enough we wont play you in under 18 european champs either.

User avatar
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 08 Oct 2016, 14:32

Uruguay has been conformed as 2017 U20 World Trophy host :)

Posts: 1342
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 08 Oct 2016, 19:33

tryman wrote:What is the exact reason they boycott this tournament? That the competition isn't good enough or is there structure more aligned to the U20s World Cup, there must be some sort of reason.

Anyway World Rugby should force (if they have to) them into a tournament like this.

Things have gone very quiet on Georgia U20s joining the Six Nations however if the senior side beat Scotland in November it will certainly help.


They've never given an official explanation, they just pulled out. I've read complaints at the standard of play (bizarre as they were losing not winning games), organisation (might be something in that one) and that it clashes with exams (which is pathetic for fledgling pro sportsmen).

Scoob wrote:It was never a problem when those 5 teams in question were beating Belgium,Portugal,Georgia etc for the previous number of years.The bottom of group A got replaced by winner of group B. This happened without incident for number of years with no problems everything ran like clockwork.But when Georgia beat Ireland and Italy,and Portugal beat Scotland in 2015 which translated to Scotland finishing bottom in group A,it became a real issue because Scotland were going to be in group B and competing with Romania,Holland,Spain etc.And rather than face the axe they banded round there allies and formed there own tournament.
A very selfish act that still rubs me the wrong way.Maybe it was a way of saying to Georgia that you will never play in the 6 nations with us and if that doesnt grate you enough we wont play you in under 18 european champs either.



There wasn't even automatic promotion relegation in that tournament, they'd have just had to qualify for the main event. Relegation wasn't even confirmed.

User avatar
Posts: 591
Joined: Sat, 19 Apr 2014, 14:41
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby NedRugby » Mon, 10 Oct 2016, 21:00

It would be great if there could be proper regional qualifiers for world championships. Not just for youth where only France has the integrity to play Georgia, but also in women's rugby where the Spanish have been treated disgracefully. Giving the 6N teams a free pass into the world championships means they never have to bother playing other European teams.

However I am fully aware this is not going to happen, just dreaming really.

Posts: 1135
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 12 Oct 2016, 08:35

NedRugby wrote:It would be great if there could be proper regional qualifiers for world championships. Not just for youth where only France has the integrity to play Georgia, but also in women's rugby where the Spanish have been treated disgracefully. Giving the 6N teams a free pass into the world championships means they never have to bother playing other European teams.

However I am fully aware this is not going to happen, just dreaming really.


I wonder if the Olympics could actually be used as a pressure method. Why allow the federations of GB, Ireland and Italy to take part in that, if they are not playing within the continental federation on the youth level (or adult level for that matter) on most other occasions.

I think we all agree, that this kind of behaviour is simply unacceptable for anyone who knows about sportsmanship. Rugby Europe is the official recognized federation of our sport and if they don't want to take part in their competitions there have to be consequences. What do the other European nations have to lose? One test-match-breadcrump every 4 years if they are lucky? Maybe time to escalate things a little bit. :twisted:
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 425
Joined: Mon, 12 May 2014, 21:05
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby dropkick » Tue, 01 Nov 2016, 13:15

Ireland u18 are playing Portugal in Portugal this week.

Posts: 202
Joined: Thu, 26 Jun 2014, 11:52
National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby suofficer » Tue, 01 Nov 2016, 13:40

its Ireland schools v Portugal U 18. neither side seems to have released a team yet. any particular difference between Ireland schools and Ireland U 18?

Posts: 101
Joined: Fri, 09 May 2014, 00:26
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby ormond lad » Tue, 01 Nov 2016, 17:18

suofficer wrote:its Ireland schools v Portugal U 18. neither side seems to have released a team yet. any particular difference between Ireland schools and Ireland U 18?
It isn't Ireland schools. There is no Ireland schools team anymore. There is only two Ireland Under 18 teams. There used to be an under 18 schools team and an under 18 clubs team. The schools team was made up of kids who were attending "traditional" rugby schools which compete at top end of the schools cups while the clubs team was made up of kids who play their rugby primarily in rugby clubs

Posts: 101
Joined: Fri, 09 May 2014, 00:26
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby ormond lad » Mon, 07 Nov 2016, 10:54

Ireland won 40-12.
It was the Ireland u18 clubs team so it appears the IRFU have gone back to having separate club and schools under 18 teams

Posts: 202
Joined: Thu, 26 Jun 2014, 11:52
National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby suofficer » Mon, 07 Nov 2016, 12:30

correct. i didn't watch but apparently Portugal played well first half and then Ireland took total control. would liek to see a proper match report or some footage. seems like a positive for Portuguese rugby if i'm honest.

Online
Posts: 1250
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 17 Dec 2016, 09:47

In case somebody can enlighten us, I copy and paste a couple a messages from Georgian rugby thread:
GeoRugby wrote:According to GRU webpage, U18 European championship in 2017 will include Georgia, France, Portugal, USA, Canada, Japan, Belgium and Russia. It`ll take place between 6-16 April.

Armchair Fan wrote:How is that possible? Russia were only seventh in 2016 U18 Championship, behind Spain and Germany.


The only half reasonable explanation is that Russia earned promotion in 2015 and they want to compensate them for what happened last year, but I don't think it's fair to punish a generation two years later for a problem that was created by third parties...

Posts: 1719
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 19:00
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby Coloradoan » Sat, 17 Dec 2016, 18:21

Really shouldn't be called a European championship. Just call it an invitational.

Online
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby Neptune » Sun, 18 Dec 2016, 09:55

Canalina wrote:Kenya v Zimbabwe 27-20 in the first CAR U19 semifinal, hosted in Windhoek

In CAR U19 B, starting tomorrow in Kampala, Senegal rejoined the group (Uganda, Madagascar, Zambia) after an early ban; the ugandan health minister was worried by the erupting of ebola in western Africa, but evidently the senegalese staff must have managed to assure them

Second CAR U19 A semifinal: Namibia v Tunisia 78-3


In the African u-19 tournament, Zimbabwe and Namibia get to host it year in year out. Even after Kenya applying to host, we never get a chance. The last time Kenya hosted the youth tournament was in 2009 when we hosted the JWRT Trophy finishing third.

Online
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby Neptune » Sun, 18 Dec 2016, 13:48

victorsra wrote:
That is not true in the slightest. I've been arguing this point for years, going back to when USA was in zero danger of missing out on the JWRT/JWC because they were in the JWC. .


If you say so ok, I believe. But we still have different approaches about this stuff. Let's agree with Natal. Soon we hope WR can expand the Championship to 16 teams and most of the T2s won't be disturbed by T3s :D


The championship and Trophy should have 16 teams each. The game of rugby is expanding at a very fast rate and in- order to grow, these slots need to be expanded. Let's not be like cricket who are reducing world cup slots instead of increasing them.

Posts: 1719
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 19:00
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 18:57

Canada U19 and USA U19 to play a 2 match series Dec 30 and Jan 2: https://www.usarugby.org/2016/12/aig-mj ... da-series/

Posts: 2336
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby victorsra » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 21:27

Is this the series for the U20 World Trophy?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1719
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 19:00
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 22:34

victorsra wrote:Is this the series for the U20 World Trophy?


Nope that's going to be in the summer (July?) of 2017. This is just a stepping stone between the U18s and U20s. I'd expect to see a number of players in the U19s end up on the U20 squad, namely Ainuu and de Haas. Also probably Fualaau who has been regularly starting for Life West in the California Cup and whose older brother is in Clermont's academy.

Posts: 2336
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby victorsra » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 22:44

July? Just one month before the Trophy's kickoff?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Armchair Fan, Google [Bot], Muzzy, Neptune, thatrugbyguy, Yahoo [Bot] and 16 guests