Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Youth Internationals

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: Youth Internationals

Postby BigG » Sat, 20 Apr 2019, 17:49

I think Spain played better rugby at least for 55 minutes.

Georgia disastrous performance.

Coaching staff, first of all head coach should be fired.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 20 Apr 2019, 17:54

I don't think it's only up to the Georgian staff. Honestly I didn't want to say this before the final not to sound like a jerk, but it looked to me this Georgian side was worse than your last three or four U18. Forwards were quite random and indisciplined on the floor, giving away penalties and posessions to two really inferior sides on paper like Germany and Russia. Then 9, 13 and 15 looked great but since they played against easy defenses their talent had to be tested today and I'm not impressed. The one who looked better at the same time was the one who lost his mind more easily throughout the final, #15.

On our side, we didn't excel in attack but defense was great. I only wanted to give Georgia a hard time (man, half the squad is playing abroad, I always thought we had a shot to shock you...), so I'm glad. Maybe not as happy as I'd like since my butt is still sore after U20 final.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Sat, 20 Apr 2019, 18:04

Armchair Fan wrote:I don't think it's only up to the Georgian staff. Honestly I didn't want to say this before the final not to sound like a jerk, but it looked to me this Georgian side was worse than your last three or four U18. Forwards were quite random and indisciplined on the floor, giving away penalties and posessions to two really inferior sides on paper like Germany and Russia. Then 9, 13 and 15 looked great but since they played against easy defenses their talent had to be tested today and I'm not impressed. The one who looked better at the same time was the one who lost his mind more easily throughout the final, #15.

On our side, we didn't excel in attack but defense was great. I only wanted to give Georgia a hard time (man, half the squad is playing abroad, I always thought we had a shot to shock you...), so I'm glad. Maybe not as happy as I'd like since my butt is still sore after U20 final.

Fully agree on discipline, however these guys (in general) are more skilled than those from the last year team.

Again, terrible coaching - obsolete methods and approaches. Hope to see new head coach next year.

Anyway, this was a good lesson for Georgia.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Scoob » Sun, 21 Apr 2019, 01:54

Spain manned up on defence and when you do that that you pressurise the opposition. Credit to Georgia who got there in the end.

I also watched the Georgia under 20 games in sth Africa with interest.

They have some good players do Georgia. Front row as always will be good,and loose forwards were very good in attack and defense notably Gushirashvili and Iashigashvili.
The backline which is where Georgia hope to see some players crack the pro teams around the world showed some promise but need to do basics better.
Alania generally went well at halfback.

Abzhandadze was class as one would expect.Problem would be at under 20 world cup he might not be available as Haig might want him preserved for national team and world cup 2 months later.There is a huge drop in quality to Gobejishvili and Margiani at 10.

Centres Tapladze and Lomidze are fine players.Simsive a bit one dimensional.
Back 3
Lashki looks a really good prospect,done well in defence and attack.Marjanishvili and Chichinadze are quick guys but need to work on tackling and high balls,ball security etc.Kavtaradze is a powerful winger.Dzagnidze is solid but nothing special.

Interesting that the under 20 team Argentina beat Georgia and Sth Africa with had 12 off those players in the squad that recently lost to Uruguay at under 20 sth america champs.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 21 Apr 2019, 04:52

8,000 spectators according to the game sheet!

If true, it could be a world record for an U18 match (I suppose)

https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/sites/defaul ... esheet.pdf

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Sun, 21 Apr 2019, 06:53

Final game 9700 spectators. Official from electronik system on Russian Union. Record of this U18 tournaments.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby umea » Sun, 21 Apr 2019, 09:19

I must mention very good organization of this tournament. And in general people in Kaliningrad and Kaliningradskaya oblast love rugby.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Sun, 21 Apr 2019, 11:14

umea wrote:I must mention very good organization of this tournament. And in general people in Kaliningrad and Kaliningradskaya oblast love rugby.

After the collapse of the USSR, rugby club Zvezda moved from Tashkent to Kaliningrad. In the 90s, they were prize-winners of the Russian Championship and won the Russian Cup. In the team played for example Konstantin Rachkov. They have good traditions. Now they have an amateur club Baltic Storm, but at the level of the governor they are already talking about creating a professional club.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 21 Apr 2019, 17:12

Italy second in the Six Nations U18 !

Today France defeated England 40-19, Scotland def Ireland 42-40 and Italy dominated (I think we can say it) Wales 34-13

France got the title ahead of Italy, England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland

PS: thanks Armchair for the streaming links. Maybe we would have found them anyway, but basically a lot of italian fans watched the games thanks to your suggestions

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 21 Apr 2019, 17:26

I suppose it's the other Armchair! I don't wanna get credit when I don't deserve it :D

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 21 Apr 2019, 17:32

Canalina wrote: Italy dominated (I think we can say it) Wales 34-13

great tournament by Italy, could have won it with little luck!

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 21 Apr 2019, 18:04

I never noticed there were two Armchairs :geek:
Ok, so thanks to the "other" Armchair :thumbup:

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sun, 21 Apr 2019, 18:16

Yes, I think the other one is an expert rather than merely a fan.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Mon, 22 Apr 2019, 05:09

amz wrote:

Maybe this whole Six Nations business wasn't such a good idea after all. They should consider reverting to a 5 Nations format.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Mon, 22 Apr 2019, 06:22

Italy dominate all their 3 matches, they had a real chance to win the tournament. 2nd place isn't bad at all either, being ranked above England on their soil.
Georgia wasn't bad, it was Spain having a very good team, half of them from French&English academies.Credited where is due: Iberians are doing a great job in youth preparation only that Spain are having an extra boost from their Frenchies. Also 100+ u18 teams are helping them a lot. Be afraid, the Spaniards are coming.
Romania had a good team but somehow they blow every chance they had but we still need to increase the pool of youth players . Now!

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 22 Apr 2019, 08:38

I think the french victory vs Italy was deserved, I don't think Italy "dominated" that match even if in a certain moment of the second half the chance of an overcome was quite solid.
I haven't seen the game vs Scotland but certainly Italy dominated both the first half (despite the score 10-10) and the second half yesterday vs Wales.
All in all, the separation between Six Nations Festival and Rugby Europe Championship is a big pity; maybe the Six Nations have their good reasons, but it's hard to imagine them.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 22 Apr 2019, 08:40

Silver Fox wrote:
amz wrote:

Maybe this whole Six Nations business wasn't such a good idea after all. They should consider reverting to a 5 Nations format.

The two "latin" nations conquered first and second place, maybe a 4 Nations format would be even wiser :)

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Mon, 22 Apr 2019, 08:43

I already posted an info on Oceania U20 championship, starting on April 26.

As for broadcasting - "Oceania Rugby has confirmed that it will live stream the Oceania Rugby U20s Championship on the Oceania Rugby Facebook page and also on rugby.com.au for the three rounds of the tournament".

I believe we are going to watch interesting games. It is also interesting to find out how strong is Fiji team.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 22 Apr 2019, 11:14

Bogdan_DC wrote:Credited where is due: Iberians are doing a great job in youth preparation only that Spain are having an extra boost from their Frenchies. Also 100+ u18 teams are helping them a lot. Be afraid, the Spaniards are coming.

Yes but not only. There is a lot of work to do.

From Portugal I still envy three things:
- Coaching of individual skills
- Amount of training camps together
- Amount of junior rugby tournaments with international participation

Spain has always had a lot of U18 teams compared to the rest of European T2/T3 and it has not always made a difference. We had 90 teams in 2009, 87 in 2011, 85 in 2013 and results weren't that good. Now the total number is 108 (unofficially). An increase of 20-25 teams doesn't explain the full story.

I'd say the reasons are the fact that players start younger (U8 national tournament was implemented in 2008, U6 in 2011), overall coaching quality has improved, central scouting has been put in place through regional academies structure (they may not be the physical building reuniting all players we all would like to see, but at least 60 players from each year are monitorised every 3-4 weeks by coaches tied to FER, so it's hard that talent slips through), the number of training camps has been increased and a key element that has little to do with rugby: Spanish society is mixed now. A lot of the kids that played the final last Saturday have one if not both of their parents born abroad even if born and/or raised here. They see the benefit of playing rugby abroad, either to earn their lives or to study there.
Last edited by Armchair Fan on Mon, 22 Apr 2019, 12:18, edited 3 times in total.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Mon, 22 Apr 2019, 11:20

Solution: Kick Italy and France out because British children are suffering emotional traumas by them.

Stupidest management in sports, by far ahead of any other sports governing bodies.

Good job and congrats to macaronis!!! :D Great result. Looks like Italy vs Georgia is never ending challenge

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Mon, 22 Apr 2019, 14:23

Canalina wrote:I think the french victory vs Italy was deserved, I don't think Italy "dominated" that match even if in a certain moment of the second half the chance of an overcome was quite solid.

You had something like 60% or more of territory and possession. Gifted at least 2 tries (1 interception, 1 blocked kick in own try line) other 2 very easy. And you started without your best props, once they came in you totally dominated the scrum. Of course France deserved their victory but you got a good chance in that game also.
Anyway Italy's youth is looking good. The Academies system is paying off for Italy or what exactly changed in last years in your youth system?

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Fri, 26 Apr 2019, 07:16

Are you watching? A great game so far. NZ vs Fiji

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/04/2 ... alia-japan

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Fri, 26 Apr 2019, 14:25

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Tue, 30 Apr 2019, 10:55

Today there is an interesting test between Wales U20 vs. South Africa U20.

Surprisingly I could not find any info on Wales rugby official site incl. Tweeter and Facebook.

Do you know if game is streamed and if yes, please post the link.

Thank you in advance.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Fri, 03 May 2019, 09:44

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum