National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Chicago Triple Header (3 november 2018)

Postby Canalina » Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 08:59

12:00 pm - USA Eagles (W) v Black Ferns

3:00 pm - Ireland v Italy

6:00 pm - USA Eagles (M) v Maori All Blacks​​​​

Chicago is 5 hours late to UCT, 6 hours late than CET

Italy will field a sort of "Replacements Team", preserving the best players for the three home november matches.
The game with Ireland will be shown in Italy by a pay-tv (DAZN). Are maybe the two Usa Eagles matches transmitted worldwide by some free tv or stream? (I doubt, but I ask anyway)

A triple header seems a bit too ambitious to me: who watches rugby from noon to eight pm? I fear there will be empty stands for the women match or people walking in & out the food sellers during the men's games

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Chicago Triple Header (3 november 2018)

Postby Figaro » Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 09:44

I agree that a triple-header seems a bit hard going. Not sure I would want to watch three games on the trot. It's not clear which of the three games is meant to be the main event too, which probably means you'll have people coming and going throughout.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 10:10

I think the real test is going the be USA v the Maori. The Eagles have improved a lot since the All Blacks came a few years ago, and if the put on a competitive performance against the Maori that's going to be good for future games against the All Blacks.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 11:45

According to the image above the main game seems the all-european one. Maybe they are just trying to attract the irish and italian Chicago communities.

And maybe the aim of a so long triple header (or one of the aims) is to push people not to just sit on their seat but also to spend money in the stadium stores

Postby 4N » Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 12:14

thatrugbyguy wrote:I think the real test is going the be USA v the Maori. The Eagles have improved a lot since the All Blacks came a few years ago, and if the put on a competitive performance against the Maori that's going to be good for future games against the All Blacks.

USA will have a weakened squad vs Maori. No Lasike, Manoa, Taufetee, Lamositele. Plus no MacGinty due to injury. Gonna be a tough one.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby JamesWales » Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 13:31

Ticket sales look a bit anaemic to me. Based on the availability below, it looks like maybe 25,000 tickets sold? It also looks like some tickets have been reduced in price, to a very healthy $20.

That isn't a shocking crowd in the grand scheme of things, but it does imply that the sell-out against the All Blacks in Chicago a couple of years ago was the exception rather than the norm.

I can't help but feel that hosting this in a city with no MLR team is a bit of an error, but then again it's a large city with many Italian and Irish ex pats, etc.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/event/0400548D9D6542BF

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 16:38

There was a PNC triple header game in Toronto a couple years back and yeah... three straight games is a lot. Very few people were there from the start.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 17:55

JamesWales wrote:Ticket sales look a bit anaemic to me. Based on the availability below, it looks like maybe 25,000 tickets sold? It also looks like some tickets have been reduced in price, to a very healthy $20.

That isn't a shocking crowd in the grand scheme of things, but it does imply that the sell-out against the All Blacks in Chicago a couple of years ago was the exception rather than the norm.

I can't help but feel that hosting this in a city with no MLR team is a bit of an error, but then again it's a large city with many Italian and Irish ex pats, etc.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/event/0400548D9D6542BF

Chicago has been a central piece of Rugby Events for awhile now. Rugby Weekend 2014, 2015, 2016, now 2018. Usually not a double header though, 2016 was a match on Friday and then one Saturday...and that one worked out pretty well.

National Flag:

Postby sanitycheck » Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 20:00

I heard there is no pass outs either so means once ou are in you cant leave .
Formerly known as "Aus_in_Germany"

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 21:03

sanitycheck wrote:I heard there is no pass outs either so means once ou are in you cant leave .

That's what it says: https://soldierfield.net/facility-guide

But what's the point of exiting? Most people won't have lodging anywhere near Stadium.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 21:39

TheStroBro wrote:
sanitycheck wrote:I heard there is no pass outs either so means once ou are in you cant leave .

But what's the point of exiting? Most people won't have lodging anywhere near Stadium.

Maybe people don't want to be in a stadium for 8 hours straight, paying stadium prices for food, drink and anything else, particularly if the weather isn't great. Also for people bringing a significant other or kids, 8 hours straight would be ridiculous.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 22:43

Coloradoan wrote:
Maybe people don't want to be in a stadium for 8 hours straight, paying stadium prices for food, drink and anything else, particularly if the weather isn't great. Also for people bringing a significant other or kids, 8 hours straight would be ridiculous.

Although I sort of agree with you...triple header idea is brutal unless you're in a suite. But the point I'm making here is that there aren't many comfortable places to unwind (free of charge) near there. Which is also why I purchased club tickets as it allows the significant other to go inside if need be.

Been to an 8 hour baseball game once, no thanks.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 23:34

TheStroBro wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:

Although I sort of agree with you...triple header idea is brutal unless you're in a suite. But the point I'm making here is that there aren't many comfortable places to unwind (free of charge) near there. Which is also why I purchased club tickets as it allows the significant other to go inside if need be.

Been to an 8 hour baseball game once, no thanks.

There aren't but it's like a 10 minute Uber ride to Wacker/River North/Millenium Park.

National Flag:

Postby sanitycheck » Thu, 01 Nov 2018, 03:32

TheStroBro wrote:

Maybe to bounce between the stadium and tailgate ?
Formerly known as "Aus_in_Germany"

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Thu, 01 Nov 2018, 12:16

The Italy/Ire match, and the women's match should have been one day, with the MAB v USA the day after imo.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Thu, 01 Nov 2018, 13:26

Why not have Italy/Ireland in Boston??

Would a crowd have turned out? if so what is the logical venue?

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Thu, 01 Nov 2018, 20:34

Thomas wrote:Why not have Italy/Ireland in Boston??

Or the most Irish town in America, Butte, Montana. :thumbup:

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Thu, 01 Nov 2018, 21:21

dropkick wrote:

Now that made me laugh...

I was serious have the double header in Chicago and the Italy/Ireland game well could be anywhere but we are talking November and Boston has a big Italian population so why not? Not familiar with the area hence what venue?

failing that MLR expansion city?

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 01 Nov 2018, 21:44

Thomas wrote:
dropkick wrote:

I was serious have the double header in Chicago and the Italy/Ireland game well could be anywhere but we are talking November and Boston has a big Italian population so why not? Not familiar with the area hence what venue?

Boston is getting a team in 2020. New England Freejacks. Think they're putting together the core of the side now and will play exhibitions next year.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 01 Nov 2018, 22:17

Thomas wrote:
dropkick wrote:

The original plan was to host a game in Fenway Park in November. I don’t know if it was going to be Ireland per se but that’s an easy choice for Boston. Don’t know why it fell through but Chicago is trying to be made the regular location for TRW every year or so.

They hosted a Hurling tournament there with all Irish counties involved and it sold out. They would easily sell out an Irish rugby match. It’s not perfect for rugby but it’s right in the city so you’d get plenty of people there.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 01 Nov 2018, 23:00

Chicago having a regular test during the November internationals is actually a good thing in my opinion. It becomes an annual event in the rugby calendar. What matters in the future is who's playing the game. Long term it has to be the Eagles playing, although I think there is room for there to be double headers, maybe on consecutive days instead of the same day however. 3 rugby matches at one venue in one day is pushing it even for the most diehard of rugby fans. I would actually like to see the All Blacks play the Eagles again in 2020, by that time MLR would have playing for 3 seasons meaning the fitness levels of US players would have increased even more.

National Flag:

Postby RiffRaff » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 00:25

I will be there with my wife, college age boys, and father in law for all three matches. Can't wait!

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 05:18

Originally there was going to be an Ireland match in Boston...there wasn't going to be a Rugby Weekend type thing. No idea why Fenway fell through, but Legacy is the agency for Ireland and they probably wanted to do a joint promotion that is in their wheelhouse which is The Rugby Weekend. They have run The Rugby Weekend with the Chicago Sports Commission three times: '14, '15, '16.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 09:32

Pitch size issues perhaps at Fenway.

Return to Rugby Forum