Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Italy vs Georgia

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Italy vs Georgia

Postby oldprussians » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 09:33

Hi all!

Last time I was here on this board there was a whole lot of lets get Italy out the 6N which is impossible since they are partners in the company.... ;)

But rather than pushing for interrelation into the Euro cup of nations, it was a dog eat dog, get Italy out and give us a chance. That's is how how the Anglophiles win. Divide and conquer.

Rather kind of turns people off who were once very supportive of Georgia and the like.

Anyhow. This is the crunch game.

Saying nothing more till the end of the game.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: Italy vs Georgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 11:05

Thats because Georgia is in terrible shape + long list of injuries.

in 2016 i was sure in Lelo's victory. Now im not.

Nobody who has some sort of intelligence will say to kick italy out. They are too good and too rich for T2 tournament.
What people are saying is that Georgia needs to perform with big guys.

Anyways now is our chance to beat 1st T1 team. And im sure our team will perform well and despite Italy is favourite in this match it is possible to beat them. squads will be announced on 8 November!!

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby oldprussians » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 13:26

RugbyPUBtbilisi wrote:Thats because Georgia is in terrible shape + long list of injuries.

in 2016 i was sure in Lelo's victory. Now im not.

Nobody who has some sort of intelligence will say to kick italy out. They are too good and too rich for T2 tournament.
What people are saying is that Georgia needs to perform with big guys.

Anyways now is our chance to beat 1st T1 team. And im sure our team will perform well and despite Italy is favourite in this match it is possible to beat them. squads will be announced on 8 November!!

I always supported Georgia and say in the world cup you scored with drive that would have knocked Ireland out.

The and I support also full integration with the cup of nations.

But it is actually Wales and Scotland that are the problem, because they would never want the 6N company to be dissolved.

Pro Rugby would collapse there is they had to run it based on the cup of nations.

And that is where this issue lie.

On Saturday if Italy play to their potential Georgia are in trouble.

What is the solution? Don't know, maybe some 6N money should go to the 6NB. but that will never happen, Wales and Scotland will never allow that.

Why? Because the only reason that pro rugby survives in those countries, and Scotland only has 2 teams is the 6N money.

So why would they ever give that up? And believe you me as soon as there was a threat to that money every stroke in the book would be played to make sure they wouldn't lose anything.

WR could fix this by ruling that clubs can only gain income from their own means, and not from the Unions.

But the WR is in the hands of the directors of which Scotland and Wales have a few.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 14:44

Somebody from GRU should take this part of the article from:
https://www.corriere.it/sport/18_novemb ... resh_ce-cp

Sotto con la Georgia

Ma Chicago per l’Italia è stato solo l’inizio. Seguiranno infatti altre tre partite. Sabato prossimo a Firenze con la Georgia, sabato 17 a Padova con l’Australia, sabato 24 a Roma con la Nuova Zelanda. E, paradossalmente, la più importante sarà quella con la Georgia. Perché gli avversari non sono marziani ma hanno ambizioni notevolissime e da anni piangono e si lagnano reclamando un posto nel Sei Nazioni (a spese degli azzurri, ovvio). La Romania ci ha provato fino al 2015, poi, dopo essere stata smantellata in meno di un’ora in Coppa del Mondo ha abbassato la cresta. L’obiettivo della Nazionale è ripetere l’operazione sabato con i caucasici, suonarli per bene e tappargli la bocca per almeno cinque, sei anni.

Translate it to Georgian and show it to Georgian players for extra motivation, not that they need one.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 14:51

LOL if 32-22 means to dismantle a team I wonder how can be called a 54-7 :lol:

Cmon Lelos!

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 15:17

Four days after playing Canada, let me add.

I cheer always for Italy whenever they play against a Tier 1 nation (the first time I attended a test match was a France v Italy), but some of their fans and media live in a parallel reality. Being part of the royal court doesn't make of you a king.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 15:33

And without Macovei who was banned for 2 matches. After that RWC WR changed the regulations as the disciplinary panel have to check first if the infringement deserve a red. In Macovei's case, it did not deserved a red.

Too bad Oaks realized too late that they can hurt Italy. I would have liked to played Azzuri somewhere in 2016 or 2017 when team was more experienced with big games.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby m.map » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 15:53

the italian "corriere della sera" about rugby is like "Máo Zhǔxí Yǔlù" about christianism

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Marc711 » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 17:24

GeoRugby wrote:Somebody from GRU should take this part of the article from:
https://www.corriere.it/sport/18_novemb ... resh_ce-cp

Sotto con la Georgia

Ma Chicago per l’Italia è stato solo l’inizio. Seguiranno infatti altre tre partite. Sabato prossimo a Firenze con la Georgia, sabato 17 a Padova con l’Australia, sabato 24 a Roma con la Nuova Zelanda. E, paradossalmente, la più importante sarà quella con la Georgia. Perché gli avversari non sono marziani ma hanno ambizioni notevolissime e da anni piangono e si lagnano reclamando un posto nel Sei Nazioni (a spese degli azzurri, ovvio). La Romania ci ha provato fino al 2015, poi, dopo essere stata smantellata in meno di un’ora in Coppa del Mondo ha abbassato la cresta. L’obiettivo della Nazionale è ripetere l’operazione sabato con i caucasici, suonarli per bene e tappargli la bocca per almeno cinque, sei anni.

Translate it to Georgian and show it to Georgian players for extra motivation, not that they need one.

Do not pay attention to such an article, surely it is not the kind of newspaper to read when we talk about rugby.
On the RWC match, the Oaks did well managing to come back (and very close indeed), but Italy turned off the engine after 50 minutes, it was actually kind of frustraing and upsetting watching them after a while, leaving the momentum and the control of the match to Romania.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby oldprussians » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 19:31

What will be will be

And Georgia may have injuries, but so do Italy.

So we'll see.

And again I also believe in giving Georgia a chance.

I would like to see promotion and relegation.

I think there need to be a bigger spread of money across Europe.

But Yes Italy is under pressure.. so not to be anti Georgia Italy and Conor O'Shea need a 1 a result and 2 a good one.

Sadly this will not be good for Georgia.

I wish it wouldn't have to be under these circumstances.

Unfortunately the 6N evolved from another age, and maybe it doesn't support the needs of today

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 20:00

I think this is the worst injury crisis that I can remember in past 10 years..
Half of the leaders are either out or just coming back from the injury.
4-Nemsadze - out
5-Mikautadze - out
7-Kolelishvili - out
13-Katcharava - out
12-Sharikadze - First game in a year for club or country.

I would say these are the most important players in Georgian NT right now and we see the state of them. Some people might add front row but at least front row spots can be covered. some of these guys are absolutely irreplaceable right now. That's just the beginning tho we have tons of others absent as well. we could make just as strong of a team from absent players as we have with the fit ones.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Marc711 » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 21:22

fullbackace wrote:I think this is the worst injury crisis that I can remember in past 10 years..
Half of the leaders are either out or just coming back from the injury.
4-Nemsadze - out
5-Mikautadze - out
7-Kolelishvili - out
13-Katcharava - out
12-Sharikadze - First game in a year for club or country.

I would say these are the most important players in Georgian NT right now and we see the state of them. Some people might add front row but at least front row spots can be covered. some of these guys are absolutely irreplaceable right now. That's just the beginning tho we have tons of others absent as well. we could make just as strong of a team from absent players as we have with the fit ones.

Don't worry, we welcome you with no fullbacks and almost no wingers, no starting scrum half, and a series of injuries in the back row forwards that do not help. Just when Italy was starting to build some depth for some roles (still very far away from a true depth, and we saw in Chicago), not to mention that three of the injured are Minozzi, Hayward and Sarto, probably the most talented players (with Campagnaro) in the back line.
Georgia can still bring very high quality props, and tons of physicality in the scrum, plus you have a very young pair of scrum halves that can build a great future for the Lelos in that department.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 23:43

The match of the century! :D

Injuries are part of the game these days. It's more about having strong squads than strong teams.

It's going to be the most interesting match of the weekend and a measure of where Georgia are. The Italians will respect Georgia and no doubt they'll be up for it because they're aware of the comments about Georgia replacing Italy in the 6 nations.

I think Georgia will have a big advantage in the scrum and will hope for wet weather. The Italian scrum is fairly weak these days. Maybe they'll have a maul advantage too?

I wouldn't read too much into Italy's result in Chicago. It could have been level at half time and I'd expect the first choice Italian team to be much better.

I think the Italians will be technically too good for Georgia. They'll know Georgia's strengths and I expect them to avoid making too many mistakes and avoid giving away penalties in their own half. So we might see a lot of kicking from their own half and pressurise Georgia into making mistakes but if there's an opportunity they'll go for it. They're capable of scoring tries and have a decent attacking game.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 06 Nov 2018, 07:29

I m not too optimistic for Georgia this time. I think they lost some key players, especially "the engine" from the second row Nemsadze- Mikautadze and the pair of centers. Will be Sharikadze ready to rumble?
Also Italy are not pushovers. They actually start playing some complete style of rugby at all age grades. Italian franchises looks better also. Their pack is not that weak at all and they have the players to target badly the Georgian line out.
Anyway if Georgia could put pressure on their scrum from the start they will have a big chance. If this game was held in Tbilisi in front of 40 k Georgians...totally different story. C'mon Lelos!

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Tue, 06 Nov 2018, 20:58

I am not very optimistic. Why? There are a lot of objective and subjective factors.

In my opinion Georgia should focus on WC 2023, not 2019. At that time we will have number of good backs including fly half.

The acting generation made a lot, especially at WC 2015. That was maximum. The rugby we play nowadays became outdated. Meanwhile there is a big need for a new blood.

After coming WC new head coach will come and hopefully we begin to play modern style rugby.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 06 Nov 2018, 21:57

BigG wrote:I am not very optimistic. Why? There are a lot of objective and subjective factors.

In my opinion Georgia should focus on WC 2023, not 2019. At that time we will have number of good backs including fly half.

The acting generation made a lot, especially at WC 2015. That was maximum. The rugby we play nowadays became outdated. Meanwhile there is a big need for a new blood.

After coming WC new head coach will come and hopefully we begin to play modern style rugby.

Don't think you can blame Haig for lack of modern style rugby. You haven't had the attacking backs to do it. That'll change as some of the backs from the U20s of the past few years continue to mature and improve. Sharikadze is probably the best player you've had 10-15 in recent times and he's really not more than a 2nd division French player. He's not bad but to really compete, you're going to need backs with the quality to play in the top 3 European leagues. Abzhandadze will be a huge step up at 10 if he continues to develop.

National Flag:
IsraelIsrael

Postby ZUKER » Wed, 07 Nov 2018, 09:46

Q to georgians - Which TV channel is gonna stream this game in Georgia? Imedi as usual?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 07 Nov 2018, 09:51

Not Georgian, but during last Six Nations DMAX Italia streaming wasn't geoblocked https://it.dplay.com/live/25102/cattoli ... streaming/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 07 Nov 2018, 14:08

Between 15K and 20K tickets sold so far. It's less than what I expected, but probably for the main italian public, the not-specialized one, Georgia has much less appeal than All Blacks or Springboks.
The Florence's stadium hosts as much as 47K spectators, so less than an half covered so far.
The FIR article says that two thousands georgians will arrive in Florence while dozens of thousands will cheer in front of a mega-screen in the main square of Tbilisi. I hope it's really so, but it sounds quite exaggerated
https://www.federugby.it/index.php?opti ... 22&lang=it

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Wed, 07 Nov 2018, 14:20

Canalina wrote:Between 15K and 20K tickets sold so far. It's less than what I expected, but probably for the main italian public, the not-specialized one, Georgia has much less appeal than All Blacks or Springboks.
The Florence's stadium hosts as much as 47K spectators, so less than an half covered so far.
The FIR article says that two thousands georgians will arrive in Florence while dozens of thousands will cheer in front of a mega-screen in the main square of Tbilisi. I hope it's really so, but it sounds quite exaggerated

two thousand ?????? Georgian sources said five thousand. I feel lied to :x
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Wed, 07 Nov 2018, 14:26

Georgia squad down to 28 players

Loosehead Prop
Mikheil Nariashvili (28, Montpellier, France) - 51 caps
Zurab Zhvania (27, Wasps, England) - 34 caps
Guram Gogichashvili (20, Racing92, France) - uncapped

Hookers
Shalva Mamukashvili (28, Enisei-STM, Russia) - 57 caps
Jaba Bregvadze (31, Sunwolves, Japan) - 51 caps
Badri Alkhazashvili (23, Toulon, France) - 9 caps

Tighthead Props
Davit Kubriashvili (31, Grenoble, France) - 45 caps
Levan Chilachava (27, Montpellier, France) - 41 caps
Beka Gigashvili (26, Grenoble, France) - uncapped

Locks
Shalva Sutiashvili (35, Soyaux-Angoulême, France) - 68 caps
Lasha Lomidze (26, Aurillac, France) - 41 caps
Nodar Cheishvili (27, Cornish Pirates, England) - 14 caps

Loose Forwards
Beka Bitsadze (27, Narbonne, France) - 26 caps
Otar Giorgadze (22, Brive, France) - 13 caps
Beka Gorgadze (22, Bordeaux-Bègles, France) - 11 caps
Giorgi Tsutskiridze (21, Aurillac, France) - 9 caps

Scrumhalves
Giorgi Begadze (32, Locomotive Tbilisi, Georgia) - 63 caps
Vasil Lobzhanidze (22, Brive, France) - 35 caps
Gela Aprasidze (20, Montpellier, France) - 8 caps

Flyhalves
Lasha Malaguradze (32, Krasny Yar, Russia) - 87 caps
Lasha Khmaladze (30, Batumi, Georgia) - 65 caps
Tedo Abzhandadze (19, Aia Kutaisi, Georgia) - uncapped

Centres
Merab Sharikadze (25, Aurillac, France) - 57 caps
Giorgi Kveseladze (20, Armazi Marneuli, Georgia) - 10 caps
Zurab Dzneladze (26, Locomotive Tbilisi, Georgia) - 1 cap

Outside Backs
Tamaz Mchedlidze (25, Agen, France) - 47 caps
Soso Matiashvili (25, Lelo Saracens, Georgia) - 12 caps
Giorgi Koshadze (22, Kharebi Rustavi, Georgia) - 10 caps

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 07 Nov 2018, 14:35

fullbackace wrote:
Canalina wrote:Between 15K and 20K tickets sold so far. It's less than what I expected, but probably for the main italian public, the not-specialized one, Georgia has much less appeal than All Blacks or Springboks.

two thousand ?????? Georgian sources said five thousand. I feel lied to :x

Is it reliable? Even two thousand would be great to me

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby sandro » Wed, 07 Nov 2018, 14:53

What a pessimism, we have been shouting for 5+ years give us Italy. Now we got the desired test so we have to man up, put our big boy pants on don't whine about injuries and give them hell.
I think we are going to win this match, I know it is a bold statement. But this match is the dream of a whole rugby generation and I'm confident Georgia has been preparing for years now mentally for this match. So I think the thrive to win against Italy will deside this match in our favour.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Wed, 07 Nov 2018, 15:40

I agree. Lelos need to go all out for this one. That means having Tedo as a starting fly-half. Some of of the youngsters on the team have beaten tier1 nations at U20 level, so they should not have inferiority complex. Give theses players a chance. Keep the ball and attack as much as possible. Spread the ball. Whatever happens, happens.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby sandro » Wed, 07 Nov 2018, 16:26

As much as I would love to see Tedo starting in this match, we all know Haig has a conservative track record when it comes to youngsters. And who can blaim him? I'ts his ass on the line not ours.
Lobzjanidze-Khmaladze will start I think.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum