Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Belgian Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Belgian Rugby

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 30 Nov 2018, 18:34

4N wrote:St Ignatius in Cleveland doesn’t have space for a football stadium (Ohio City, you know the area) and have to play their home games 30 minutes away in the suburbs. Here are their NFL alumni: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... d=93b93753

(Oliver Luck is Andrew Luck’s dad for anyone wondering)

They are impressive, but seem more the exception (maybe a testament to how football crazed Ohio is?) than the rule. Of course, the "rule" could be something I just made up, but it does seem like a general trend.

Postby Raven » Mon, 21 Jan 2019, 15:05

Can somebody explain a bit more the Belgian Rugby (Men) League System? As far as I can see there´s 3 National Divisions and all teams have a B / 2nd XV side that play in a reserve tournament following the A / 1st XV fixture, but I can´t find any grasroots below that, aren´t there any other teams? nor Regional Leagues with sides that only field 1 team? I saw there´s been a few clubs that went AWOL, would this have anything to do with the assumption that they need 2 XVs to participate in a League structure?

Also, the only side I see has more than 2 Senior teams is ROC (Rugby Ottignies Club), who are even able to field a 4th XV! Is this the most popular club in Belgium? I never would have guessed this!

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Werner » Mon, 21 Jan 2019, 15:59

Raven wrote:Can somebody explain a bit more the Belgian Rugby (Men) League System? As far as I can see there´s 3 National Divisions and all teams have a B / 2nd XV side that play in a reserve tournament following the A / 1st XV fixture, but I can´t find any grasroots below that, aren´t there any other teams? nor Regional Leagues with sides that only field 1 team? I saw there´s been a few clubs that went AWOL, would this have anything to do with the assumption that they need 2 XVs to participate in a League structure?

Also, the only side I see has more than 2 Senior teams is ROC (Rugby Ottignies Club), who are even able to field a 4th XV! Is this the most popular club in Belgium? I never would have guessed this!
Have a look at http://www.sportkipik.be/-regionales-.
There are 3 regional divisions in the french speaking LBFR area and 2 in the Vlaanderen area. Lots of clubs with only one team and some 3rd teams are participating.

National Flag:
BelgiumBelgium

Postby louizar » Mon, 21 Jan 2019, 16:08

Yes there are 3 national divisions where each them has to field a reserve team (compulsory requirement to participate in any national league). Then there are 2 regions (french and flamish) that are managed by the LBFR and VRB. Each region has 3 division if I am not mistaken with around 8 teams per division.
Roc is indeed fielding 4 senior teams: two in the 1st division with its respective reserve and two in the third division and its respective reserve. Roc has been doing pretty well in terms of memberships and in terms of results. They reached the playoff of the 1st division for the last two years and have more than 500 members. I would not say it is the most popular club in Belgium. Historically, Boitsfort has been the most popular and performant club in Belgium.
In terms of results, Dendermonde has been the best club in the last 3 years by winning the men 1st division consecutively, they also have a large membership base with three senior team and two women team. Dendermonde also benefits from the best facilities in Belgium.

National Flag:
BelgiumBelgium

Postby DavidLg » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 13:22

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 14:53

Gotta respect what the BRB/FBRB (dont know which is correct) is doing to promote the test matches and Barbarians in the Continental Shield.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 23:27

Tobar wrote:Gotta respect what the BRB/FBRB (dont know which is correct) is doing to promote the test matches and Barbarians in the Continental Shield.

Their Twitter feed hasn't been updated in a while though - Almost a year!

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Mon, 28 Jan 2019, 12:39

Sportkipik are reporting that Belguim v Germany will receive TV coverage (of sorts) in that Sporza (For UK residents think 'Grandstand' to recognise that branding of sports show) will be livestreaming their game against Germany. There is a Federation Cup Tennis match between Belguim and France on that day as well which I believe the terrestrial channels will be showing.

Postby Raven » Mon, 28 Jan 2019, 13:11

Is the game vs Germany at risk of a location change? I saw that many of this past weekends games were re-scheduled alledgedly due to weather...

National Flag:
BelgiumBelgium

Postby bolleje » Mon, 28 Jan 2019, 15:15

Living in Belgium, we had some horrible weather last week which caused a lot of rescheduling but mainly lower leagues (eg. football games in higher divisions were all played, but youth games got cancelled. I think rugby might be a bit more pitch-intensive, but it's looking like next Sunday won't be an issue as far as I can tell.

Cool about the coverage on Sporza.be. It's by far the most well-known sports site as this is the national broadcaster sports division. They are starting to regularly stream 'minor' (in Belgian minds at least) sports like hockey which is cool. Rugby can only benefit from this. Next step is ofcourse live coverage on the actual television, but tennis (and especially Fed Cup) is a lot bigger still here. I'm also hoping for a piece about the rugby in the Sunday's evening sports show. Last time they covered something was a couple of years ago when we won the derby against Holland. So coverage is very rare. During the World Cup, they normally only show some footage of the finals (and usually half of it is the All Blacks' haka). I also saw comments last year like "Belgian National rugby team only one step away from World Cup Qualification", making it sound like it was very close. That last step being the ENC... (where we had to beat Romania, Russia, Germany... which was probably not happening). Anyway, any rugby mainstream coverage is good coverage here!

National Flag:
BelgiumBelgium

Postby louizar » Thu, 31 Jan 2019, 14:54

Belgian Squad for the REC:

Not considered for selection due to injury: Guillaume Piron (center, Blagnac), Thomas deMolder (8, Dijon), Jean Maurice Deccuber (backrow, Cognac). All of them are starters in Féderal 1 team playing the top of the table. It is a pity, Belgium will have to compose without them.

Half of the squad plays in the Belgium Championship (80% of them featured in the Belgium Barbarians squad).
The rest of the squad is mainly playing in France (ProD2,Féderale 1, Féderale 2, Espoirs) with some new additions in there:

Wiliam Van Bost: Backrow (Captain of the Espoirs at Toulon, former France U18 representative), he was raised in Belgium as he played untill U16 at Boitsfort Rugby Club
Charlesty Berguet: Prop playing for the Espoirs of Perpignan

Also a couple of Players are playing national 1: Craig Dowsett, Gillian Benoy
Vinny Hart is playing in Scotland prem team: Edimburgh Accies

La liste des 51 Diables Noirs

George Avidszba Gillian Benoy
Julien Berger Charlesty Berguet
Bertrand Billi Martin Bonnel
Nathan Bontems Keran Caro
Tom Cocqu Brieuc Corradi
Alexis Cuffolo Sep De Backer
Jean-Baptiste De Clercq Louis De Moffarts
Louis Debatty Sven D’Hooghe
Thomas Dienst Craig Dowsett
Bastien Gallaire Amin Hamzaoui
Vincent Hart Tom Herenger
Maxime Jadot Martin Jessen
Gaspard Lalli Corentin Lecloux
Rayane Leduc Julien Massimi
Adelin Mehrez Tuur Moelants
Isaac Montoisy Ervin Muric
Samuel Opsomer Romain Pinte
Florian Piron Charles Reynaert
Léopold Roobaert Lucas Sotteau
Vincent Tauzia Maxime Temmerman
Jens Torfs William Van Bost
Kjell Van den Broeke Eliott Van Trappen
Simon Vankeerberghen Antoine Vassart
Emiel Vermote Mathieu Verschelden
Thomas Wallraf Kevin Williams

https://www.sportkipik.be/les-51-diable ... gby-europe

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 31 Jan 2019, 15:29

louizar wrote:Charlesty Berguet: Prop playing for the Espoirs of Perpignan

Charles-Henry Berguet is also a Belgian citizen und started playing in his home country. http://www.sportkipik.be/membre-de-la-g ... 00-charles
Good on him.

Hopefully Belgium learned their lesson from the eligibility shambles. I mean even if they weren't as much in the spotlight, they were the absolutely worst offenders.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Postby 4N » Thu, 31 Jan 2019, 15:52

George Avidszba

That’s an Abkhaz (between Georgia and Russia) name. Looked him up and he’s a judoka.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 31 Jan 2019, 15:58

4N wrote:
George Avidszba

That’s an Abkhaz (between Georgia and Russia) name. Looked him up and he’s a judoka.

According to google his name is George Avidzba. But you never know what gets lost in transription of Georgian or kyrillic alphabet.
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
BelgiumBelgium

Postby louizar » Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 08:29

George Avidszba played a couple of years in Lille when they were in Federale 1, he was mostly playing for the B team though, do not have too much expectations on him. I doubt he is even going to get much game time.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Sat, 09 Feb 2019, 14:34

Good online audience for this REC game against Germany. Just peaked at 2492.

National Flag:
BelgiumBelgium

Postby hag » Sat, 09 Feb 2019, 15:10

IanCleverly wrote:Good online audience for this REC game against Germany. Just peaked at 2492.

I've seen it over 2600. The stream is Sporza.Be the biggest sports website/broadcaster in Flanders and brand of the national television.
The unions have done made some advertising on social media and handing out some prizes.

National Flag:
BelgiumBelgium

Postby hag » Sat, 09 Feb 2019, 15:33

Almost 3000 viewers now.

2 penalty tries to Belgium but no cards for Germany. That seems odd to me.
Belgium is looking tired to me. I hope they can keep up.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 09 Feb 2019, 16:13

Final score 29-22 for Belgium. A good old-fashioned forwards slog in the mud.

A question for the Belgians - is it not possible to find a better stadium? The pitch is always a mess and I'm sure you could fill a slightly bigger stadium. It's always nice to see a packed crowd like today, but even back when Belgium was in the RET i couldn't get a seat even after buying a ticket in advance.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Sat, 09 Feb 2019, 19:53

NedRugby wrote:Final score 29-22 for Belgium. A good old-fashioned forwards slog in the mud.

A question for the Belgians - is it not possible to find a better stadium? The pitch is always a mess and I'm sure you could fill a slightly bigger stadium. It's always nice to see a packed crowd like today, but even back when Belgium was in the RET i couldn't get a seat even after buying a ticket in advance.

Like next door? ;)

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 09 Feb 2019, 21:58

Well, that one might be a shade TOO big.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 09 Feb 2019, 23:54

How big is it?

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sun, 10 Feb 2019, 00:26

The little Heysel - I guess around 4000. The King Baudouin Stadium next door is 50.000.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Sun, 10 Feb 2019, 00:44

There must be some football stadium of a reasonable size in the Brussels area - say 10.000-15.000

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Sun, 10 Feb 2019, 00:45

Also, aren't they going to demolish King Baudouin and build a new national stadium?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum