Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Are you:

For
10%
Against
90%

Total votes : 58
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal

Postby Silver Fox » Fri, 28 Dec 2018, 08:33

Sigh,... No we didn't.
I tried to explain on multiple occasions how the global schedule and the world league can or will work without World Rugby's statements being inconsistent.
But I feel that people like you either don't want to know, nor take the effort to understand, or that I can't put my reasoning into understandable English.
But the whole matter has such a speculative degree to it that I better decide to no longer contribute to the matter until official announcements have been made.
I suggest you do the same.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Fri, 28 Dec 2018, 09:43

:lol: ... into understandable English
:!: ... until official announcements

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Mon, 28 Jan 2019, 14:25

Meetings for this proposal start tomorrow IIRC?

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Mon, 28 Jan 2019, 14:34

Where? Who attends? Only major stakeholders?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 28 Jan 2019, 16:18

IINW it is in Sydney.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Mon, 28 Jan 2019, 17:35

Discussions between World Rugby’s major national bodies regarding a proposal for a new annual international world championship have been confirmed by England’s Rugby Football Union (RFU). The talks in Los Angeles, confirmed to the Daily Mail, are said to be part of an effort to better distribute the wealth between the planet’s rugby superpowers, with New Zealand, Australia and South Africa currently taking a smaller revenue share than their European counterparts. The reported proposal is to reduce the Six Nations and Rugby Championship to essentially a qualifier for a global tournament that concludes with the crowning of a world champion every year.

A spokesperson for the RFU said, "We are approaching discussions with an open mind and will be listening and asking a lot of questions. We already have our own very strong autumn internationals which sell out Twickenham and are part of an extremely strong Six Nations tournament, so for these discussions to proceed there would have to be something significantly better than what we currently have".

The Ireland Rugby Football Union are apparently opposed to the idea due to logistical concerns over a proposed one-week turnaround between the semi-finals games and the final, which means fans would be hard-pressed to buy tickets and book travel. The report also states that officials will discuss how media rights for such a global tournament would be distributed, with concerns that a move to reduce the Six Nations, Europe’s annual international tournament, would take international rugby off terrestrial television in favour of pay-per-view (PPV) packages.

An annual ‘World League’ would almost likely change the makeup of club and regional rugby union, as more players are moving onto central contracts with their respective governing bodies. It could also water down the Rugby World Cup, with the tournament every four years raking in roughly 90 per cent of World Rugby’s revenue, and gives smaller nations exposure to the sport’s biggest stage as it stands. New Zealand head coach Steve Hansen, who oversaw the All Black’s World Cup triumph in London four years ago, called on the RFU, English rugby’s governing body, to split the revenue from their Test match against England last November. It is estimated that the RFU, which had rejected the request, raked in US$13.2 million in broadcast rights, sponsorship, and ticket sales from the Test against the All Blacks alone.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/six- ... onship-rfu

Postby 4N » Mon, 28 Jan 2019, 18:27

The report also states that officials will discuss how media rights for such a global tournament would be distributed, with concerns that a move to reduce the Six Nations, Europe’s annual international tournament, would take international rugby off terrestrial television in favour of pay-per-view (PPV) packages.

PPV is what killed the mainstream popularity of heavyweight boxing.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Mon, 28 Jan 2019, 19:48

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/a ... d=12197285

'This could change rugby as we know it' - game's superpowers gather in Los Angeles

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/a ... d=12196621

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Mon, 28 Jan 2019, 22:05

I don't see how is going to work, if the Unions are worse off and will be a detriment to regional and club rugby is a none starter, World Rugby needs a leverage to force Tier 1 and on this report I don't see what the leverage is.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 29 Jan 2019, 00:22

So wait...because Southern Hemisphere Rugby isn't commercially viable the rest of us have to suffer? I'll pass.

Postby 4N » Tue, 29 Jan 2019, 00:25

TheStroBro wrote:So wait...because Southern Hemisphere Rugby isn't commercially viable the rest of us have to suffer? I'll pass.

My thoughts pretty much.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 29 Jan 2019, 02:01

TheStroBro wrote:So wait...because Southern Hemisphere Rugby isn't commercially viable the rest of us have to suffer? I'll pass.

Basically sums it up.

The SH have floundered and stagnated over the past decade, and now seem determined to make the north pay for not screwing it up. The SH unions aren't run as businesses, for example, why the hell were the All Blacks playing in Nelson (a town of 50,000) versus Argentina? They need to maximise their own revenue making opportunities before they go round looking to kneecap others. There's no reason that Eden Park, if it is managed like a business, couldn't generate as much revenue per match as the Millennium or Murrayfield.

The real kicker is that test rugby is mandatory FTA in Australia, so if this goes through the NH games will be put behind a paywall (which will genuinely destroy the sport within 15 years) to fund SH rugby, while they get to keep on watching their precious Wallabies on FTA.

With regards to the general politics of it, I'm not sure that they'll be able to implement this if it only narrowly passes, because while theoretically the 6N unions aren't in control, they generate the vast majority of revenue, if WR (Pichot) threatened to do anything like cutting them out of the game it'd be like the legs threatening to cut the body off.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 29 Jan 2019, 02:18

Not exactly only this. Europeans are concerned about 6N value too.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 29 Jan 2019, 03:15

There's a real fickleness in the Southern Hemisphere rugby communities. Australia can barley sell and more than 65,000 tickets to an All Blacks match in Sydney these days. 20 years ago we were getting World Records crowds of 105,000, even after the Olympic Stadium was converted to its present capacity games would regularly selling out. Games against the Boks would sell out too in Brisbane and Perth, and games against the likes of Argentina would sell out the smaller venues. Melbourne was about the only place where it was difficult to draw crowds for teams outside of NZ. Basically, as long as the Wallabies aren't a top 3 nation and beating the All Blacks on a regular basis, and the Super Rugby teams continue to struggle, the sporting public just isn't interested. Part of it is also that for the last 20 years Rugby has had a limited viewership. With the exception of the June test series most of the top level rugby in this country doesn't get seen by anybody because only 25% of the population has Pay TV. Up until the early 2000's there was regular Super Rugby on free to air, something like 2 matches a week plus a highlights show on Sunday morning. Now there is nothing.

Even if this World League idea comes to fruition it's not going to solve the underlying problem. The Rugby Championship has been dominated by the same team for the past 15 years. There's no build up to the competition anymore because NZ are level above the other 3 teams. In the late 90's and early 2000's it was a genuine contest. But since about 2005 the All Blacks have rarely looked like losing. Sure, Australia, South Africa and Argentina are all competitive with each other, but none of it matter if there's no chance of winning the title. The 6N at least go through cycles in terms of who the best teams is, right now it's Ireland who are dominant, but that will likely change in the next few years. But down here, it's hard to see anyone catching the All Blacks. It's gotten to the stage where I actively get pissed off every time they manage to fight their way back from being behind. I don't know how many times I've seen them score right before halftime. It infuriates me that the other 3 teams can't shut the All Blacks down at key points in the game because it's ruining the competition. I'm not angry at the All Blacks for being so good, I'm angry at the other 3 teams for not stepping up and learning how to beat them. I can understand why the All Black would want this concept, because the league they are currently in is substandard. It affects all the commercial aspects that bring money in. No-one wants a league with a foregone conclusion.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Tue, 29 Jan 2019, 07:31

As long as the SH insist of playing half as much "club" rugby and do it in a contrived, complicated competition that doesn't make any sense they will continue to have these problems.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 00:53

The Rugby Championship has been dominated by the same team for the past 15 years. There's no build up to the competition anymore because NZ are level above the other 3 teams. In the late 90's and early 2000's it was a genuine contest. But since about 2005 the All Blacks have rarely looked like losing. Sure, Australia, South Africa and Argentina are all competitive with each other, but none of it matter if there's no chance of winning the title.

That's why TRC should be expanded to 5 teams with Japan and make it with only 1 match against each team. This will give it more imprevisibilty. Look that the only recent years when NZ lost the title were RWC years, when it is played with only 1 match between each team.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 01:31

I don’t know how trustworthy the Telegraph is when it comes to rugby, but if this is true the league doesn’t sound that bad > https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... broadcast/

The games are still on terrestrial TV in the UK, no league in odd years, Fiji and Japan added to the Rugby Championship, promotion playoff in the Six Nations, etc. They just need to find a way to shorten it to fit in the current test windows. It is never going to happen though.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 01:37

Just seems to me that it will devalue the World Cup. What would the point be of having one?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 01:41

It's shit. Sure 2 SH T2 nations get a chance to play with the big boys, but the others all get shut out. If a current T1 gets relegated then they get one game vs the other T1s per year. The Rugby Championship expansion is something that should have happened years ago anyway.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 01:55

Blurandski wrote:If a current T1 gets relegated then they get one game vs the other T1s per year.

You are right. I haven’t thought about that.

Blurandski wrote:...but the others all get shut out.

I would sacrifice the token T1 vs.T2 test for even a taste of real pyramid in this fucking sport.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 02:14

This is the least worst proposal so far. I'm still not sold on the idea but if it means introducing a promotion and relegation system then there might be some value to it.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Scoob » Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 03:07

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 09:09

Berlin Olympia-Stadion? Are they nuts? Worst stadium ever. Really
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 10:07

rey200 wrote:Berlin Olympia-Stadion? Are they nuts? Worst stadium ever. Really

Would have thought that the no relegation of the 6N's teams would have caught people's attention more than the stadiums they might use. I'm happy for the 4 team groups forming the 2nd division but the article only mentions those that would likely line up with the RC as opposed to the 6N's. If it said that the 2nd Div would be formed by 4x4 playing home and away with the top team qualifying for a 4 team playoff to win the rights to play the 12th placed team in a relegation match then I'd be much happier with it.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 11:14

How can you force relegation when it's a private competition? Unless World Rugby buy shares or have a stake I cannot see it happening.

Since it's inception it has been a private cartel. what is WR or Pichot bringing to the table?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum