23%
Undecided
30%

Total votes : 47
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal

Postby Silver Fox » Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 07:58

I don't think it will harm World Cup's popularity in any way.
What I do think is that it may decrease the value of the 6 Nations and the Rugby Championship.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 08:24

I thought of another pro:
It will replace the 'meaningless' Nations Cups (Tbilisi-, Pacific, American-Pacific, etc.)

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 09:45

Silver Fox wrote:I don't think it will harm World Cup's popularity in any way.
What I do think is that it may decrease the value of the 6 Nations and the Rugby Championship.

I can't see that at all. 6N is sold on history, rivalry and a little bit as a European Championship. It's still all those things even with a World League.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 10:21

sk 88 wrote:
Silver Fox wrote:I don't think it will harm World Cup's popularity in any way.

I can't see that at all. 6N is sold on history, rivalry and a little bit as a European Championship. It's still all those things even with a World League.

This is true from a British and Irish point of view. But these arguments are less valid elsewhere.
The problem with the British perspective is that they still think they are centre of the world.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 12:37

How much does the 6N generate outside UK, France & Ireland?

What do you feel it trades on if not the three things I mentioned?

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 15:58

sk 88 wrote:How much does the 6N generate outside UK, France & Ireland?

You do know that the Sponsorship for the 6N has dwindled right?

Postby 4N » Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 16:01

Silver Fox wrote:I thought of another pro:
It will replace the 'meaningless' Nations Cups (Tbilisi-, Pacific, American-Pacific, etc.)

People seem fairly excited about the return of the PNC. It’s important to the Pacific Islander community in the US.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 16:38

This is a power struggle between World Rugby and the Commonwealth old boys.

I will add a concern: the reduction of home test matches. I reject increasing the number of test matches at neutral venues.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 16:52

TheStroBro wrote:
sk 88 wrote:How much does the 6N generate outside UK, France & Ireland?

You do know that the Sponsorship for the 6N has dwindled right?

Yes, because the British sponsorship market is extremely soft at the moment. What has that got to do with either question, or indeed Silver Fox's previous post?

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 19:12

Silver Fox wrote:The problem with the British perspective is that they still think they are centre of the world.

So we’re not the only ones!

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 19:14

NaBUru38 wrote:This is a power struggle between World Rugby and the Commonwealth old boys.

I will add a concern: the reduction of home test matches. I reject increasing the number of test matches at neutral venues.

I only see this adding neutral venues for the third division teams which would not take away from any home matches because they hardly have any to begin with.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 18 Dec 2018, 18:28

According to Pichot's comments, the 12 teams of the league would play in four host countries.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 18 Dec 2018, 18:41

That's odd....that would basically take away home games for these teams.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 18 Dec 2018, 19:36

NaBUru38 wrote:According to Pichot's comments, the 12 teams of the league would play in four host countries.

What a moronic proposal. Teams generate more money when they play at home, it's a fairly basic principle.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 00:13

NaBUru38 wrote:According to Pichot's comments, the 12 teams of the league would play in four host countries.

I haven't seen this reported anywhere. Do you have a link?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 00:19

Tobar wrote:That's odd....that would basically take away home games for these teams.

Yeah, once you do that you lose the South Hemisphere vote.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 01:00

TheStroBro wrote:
Tobar wrote:That's odd....that would basically take away home games for these teams.

To be fair, NZRU and RugbyAus make next to nothing on hosting home games, even an okay TV deal will more than compensate losses.

In 2017 Rugby Aus made $13.3m AUD on match day revenue - match day costs, in 2016 NZRU made $16.5m AUD before costs on match days, including two home Bledisloes.

So if they lost the three home games in June/July then it'd be a next loss of $6m odd, or $2m per game lost, which is absolutely nothing.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 03:16

Blurandski wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

To be fair, NZRU and RugbyAus make next to nothing on hosting home games, even an okay TV deal will more than compensate losses.

In 2017 Rugby Aus made $13.3m AUD on match day revenue - match day costs, in 2016 NZRU made $16.5m AUD before costs on match days, including two home Bledisloes.

So if they lost the three home games in June/July then it'd be a next loss of $6m odd, or $2m per game lost, which is absolutely nothing.

$6MM is a lot of money. Trust me when I say that they make money on match day. Otherwise the Lions tour would not have happened.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 04:32

Blurandski wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

They make money on match day revenues. Otherwise there would be no point in having them. Not hosting games is a net loss for them.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 05:40

Not to mention broadcast times and the relationship between the Unions and their sponsors during the events.

About the kickoff time, it is important when selling the events. And a tricky issue when you are talking about so distant locations. Home matches help a lot in the promotion of the event in all spheres. It is not only about tickets.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 08:31

I got the impression that nobody is talking about taking matches away from anyone. The league would take the place of all the friendlies that normally take place in July/June and November. Many of the matches would be against the same teams anyway but they would count towards the league.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 12:26

TheStroBro wrote:
Blurandski wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

$6MM is a lot of money. Trust me when I say that they make money on match day. Otherwise the Lions tour would not have happened.

Yeah, they make money. but $6M AUD =£3m (or what the BBC pay to broadcast one 6N game) is not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things, even an okay TV deal would more than replace that.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 12:27

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Blurandski wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

They make money on match day revenues. Otherwise there would be no point in having them. Not hosting games is a net loss for them.

Yes, that is what I said, but the whole point of the NL is that the TV deal gets shared, so an uplift in TV revenue could very easily more than cover the money lost from not hosting, due to how little the SH unions make from hosting games.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 13:04

Trust me, the ARU would easily forego home matches for this league if it mean extra money.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 14:19

NedRugby wrote:I got the impression that nobody is talking about taking matches away from anyone. The league would take the place of all the friendlies that normally take place in July/June and November. Many of the matches would be against the same teams anyway but they would count towards the league.

Friendlies? You mean test matches, right? The games would be "taken away" in the sense that they will be held on neutral ground which is not what is currently (except in some circumstances, typically involving only Tier 2 countries).

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum