Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Best wishes for 2019

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Best wishes for 2019

Postby Silver Fox » Mon, 31 Dec 2018, 10:58

I know I am a day early but I wish you all a very Happy New Year and that you may achieve your goals.

Being a tier 2/3 hopefull my wishes list is endless.
For the case of this topic I propose to list only our top three.

My best three wishes for 2019 are:
- The Netherlands promoting to the REC
- The Top Dutch clubs joining a meaningfull international competition (extended BeNeCup or even Continental Shield)
- The official announcement by World Rugby of a global tournament which I promised not to mention anymore.

I am curious about yours.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Best wishes for 2019

Postby NedRugby » Mon, 31 Dec 2018, 15:25

Best wishes to you all for next year (this year to some of you).

Unsurprisingly my wishes line up almost exactly with Silver Fox's. Maybe I would postpone wish number 2 (Dutch clubs) for a year so that I can include a northern hemisphere World Cup winner. So:

• The Netherlands promoting to the REC
  • NH World Cup winner - Most likely Ireland, but I'll take anyone
  • Meaningful and workable World Rugby global tournament

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 31 Dec 2018, 17:05

My only wish is a boring year.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Mon, 31 Dec 2018, 17:38

Armchair Fan wrote:My only wish is a boring year.

Understandable if you wished for an exciting 2018 rugby-wise, and it came back to bite you in the ass.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Mon, 31 Dec 2018, 21:34

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 31 Dec 2018, 23:22

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 31 Dec 2018, 23:43

Armchair Fan wrote:My only wish is a boring year.

Oh it won't be. Sorry. Many decisions wilm be done. I just hope we have a more global and open rugby after 2019.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 01 Jan 2019, 00:58

All the best for 2019 everyone!

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby m.map » Tue, 01 Jan 2019, 01:21

auguri* to all you
*best wishes
I hope to win the national lottery… :D

and all you too, of course

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Tue, 01 Jan 2019, 14:22

Happy New Year, lets hope is a great year for Rugby in 2019 and not just about the RWC.

My wishes is for 2019:
Better integration of T2/T3 with T1 Nations
World Rugby to not just paper over the cracks or do a paint job but proper development and infrastructure.
More meaningful test Matches for lower ranked nations instead of 1 or 2 a year.
Next Round of RWC Qualification should be everyone and not have automatic spots.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Tue, 01 Jan 2019, 17:11

I take a simple wish: let's have a number of high quality rugby performances, especially at RWC 2019.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Tue, 01 Jan 2019, 17:19

I’d also like to see more A sides like the Saxons or Wolfhounds make a real comeback and play more matches, both against other Tier 1 Nations and Tier 2
Nations, specifically as a development tournament a la Churchill Cup. To save on costs I’d probably have it just against European countries like the Netherlands or Belgium and host all the matches in one area like the repechage was. I don’t think it’d draw a huge crowd wherever it was but maybe throw a bone to the smaller cities that don’t get any test rugby.

My only caveat is that this cannot replace Tier 1 matches against Tier 2 nations which is why I’d prefer it to be against teams that are not at the top of the REC who would have very few matchups like this.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 02 Jan 2019, 00:58

Tobar wrote:I’d also like to see more A sides like the Saxons or Wolfhounds make a real comeback and play more matches, both against other Tier 1 Nations and Tier 2
Nations, specifically as a development tournament a la Churchill Cup. To save on costs I’d probably have it just against European countries like the Netherlands or Belgium and host all the matches in one area like the repechage was. I don’t think it’d draw a huge crowd wherever it was but maybe throw a bone to the smaller cities that don’t get any test rugby.

My only caveat is that this cannot replace Tier 1 matches against Tier 2 nations which is why I’d prefer it to be against teams that are not at the top of the REC who would have very few matchups like this.

I'd like them to be used to directly target priority emerging nations. Nations that will not only add to the game on but also off the pitch. So the Saxons and Wolfhounds could play against the likes of the Dutch, Germans and Spanish in as you suggest a Churchill Cup like competition to start as a means of getting a measure on where they sit. And then set schedules with the intent on helping raise the overall levels of play in order to build competitiveness over a 3 - 5 year period.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 02 Jan 2019, 16:41

The Churchill Cup never really took off but that was a weird time in USAR where WR initiatives just seemed stagnant. For all the faults that WR has it is certainly doing a better job now for T2 countries than 10-15 years ago. Another issue was the inconsistency of the tournament. Some years there were 3 and some years there were 6 and it seemed to change each year.

If done properly then a Churchill Cup style tournament can have a great impact. I really like the idea of focusing more on Europe as the time zones are easier for everyone involved and people could travel if they really wanted to. Since I don’t want to replace full test matches with this tournament I think it would be better for teams that don’t get enough test matches, possibly during June.

Teams that could be involved are as follows:

Tier 1 A sides: England Saxons, Ireland Wolfhounds (or provincial A sides), Italy A, France A (or B since French Barbarians is their second side now), Scotland A

Tier 2 sides: Netherlands, Belgium, Russia, Spain, Portugal, Germany

You could also include Georgia and Romania but it’d probably be better to have their A sides play instead

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 03 Jan 2019, 13:27

Happy new year to everyone!

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 03 Jan 2019, 16:02

Tobar wrote:The Churchill Cup never really took off but that was a weird time in USAR where WR initiatives just seemed stagnant. For all the faults that WR has it is certainly doing a better job now for T2 countries than 10-15 years ago. Another issue was the inconsistency of the tournament. Some years there were 3 and some years there were 6 and it seemed to change each year.

If done properly then a Churchill Cup style tournament can have a great impact. I really like the idea of focusing more on Europe as the time zones are easier for everyone involved and people could travel if they really wanted to. Since I don’t want to replace full test matches with this tournament I think it would be better for teams that don’t get enough test matches, possibly during June.

Teams that could be involved are as follows:

Tier 1 A sides: England Saxons, Ireland Wolfhounds (or provincial A sides), Italy A, France A (or B since French Barbarians is their second side now), Scotland A

Tier 2 sides: Netherlands, Belgium, Russia, Spain, Portugal, Germany

You could also include Georgia and Romania but it’d probably be better to have their A sides play instead

The problem about any t2 competition is that if there is a World League it coudn't be played in July or November.

A U20s Trophy-like competition with the 8 best teams outside the 6N/TRC would be cool but I can't see a proper date for it.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 03 Jan 2019, 17:53

Wouldn’t that just be the 2nd division of World League? I do agree that this should exist and would prefer it to the World League concept. No 1st division but instead only a 2nd division. It would provide much more accurate rankings for countries ranked ~10 to ~18 (Fiji benign the outlier at 8).

2 pools of 4 hosted in 2 countries. Then after the 3 pool matches there’s 1v2, 3v4, etc. You could easily have 3 matches in July with the “final” in November. Most T2 countries play against all T2 countries during June/July anyway with the exception of 1 or 2 NH teams touring so it wouldn’t require much change.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 04 Jan 2019, 18:03

Not really. There would be at least 2 T1s in the World League. I hope a open World League goes on, but if not there could be something like this.

Return to Rugby Forum