Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby World Cup 2019

Posts: 25
Joined: Wed, 24 Jan 2018, 21:09
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Rugby World Cup 2019

Postby rugbylineout » Fri, 18 Jan 2019, 02:40

Here's a look at the four Tier 2 teams that we think will cause the most problems for the big boys in Japan this year. We haven't included Canada, as we're doing a separate piece on them, it being a Canadian blog. therugbylineout.com

Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2014, 18:27
National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: RWC 2019

Postby GeoRugby » Fri, 18 Jan 2019, 18:59

In the article you mention Georgia losing to Tonga in the PNC, which is incorrect. Georgia beat Tonga.

User avatar
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat, 19 Apr 2014, 14:41
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: RWC 2019

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 18 Jan 2019, 23:33

The link in the OP doesn't work. Here it is: https://therugbylineout.com/

User avatar
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 23:16
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: RWC 2019

Postby Silver Fox » Sat, 19 Jan 2019, 13:25

I cut the knot and bought myself a ticket for three games this morning.
That leaves me with the task of organising travel and places to stay.
I am pretty excited I must say.

Posts: 25
Joined: Wed, 24 Jan 2018, 21:09
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: RWC 2019

Postby rugbylineout » Mon, 21 Jan 2019, 15:31

GeoRugby wrote:In the article you mention Georgia losing to Tonga in the PNC, which is incorrect. Georgia beat Tonga.


We are SO SORRY!!! Immediately rectified and our heartfelt apologies to all Georgian rugby supporters.

User avatar
Posts: 4977
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: RWC 2019

Postby Canalina » Mon, 11 Feb 2019, 22:08

Silver Fox wrote:I cut the knot and bought myself a ticket for three games this morning.
That leaves me with the task of organising travel and places to stay.
I am pretty excited I must say.

Well done Silver Fox

According to this page the sell is going good
https://tickets.rugbyworldcup.com/showProductList.html

The most part of the pool games has a "low" availability of tickets, no one has an "high" availability.
Curiously the only three games apparently sold out are the inaugural one, the final one and Fiji v Uruguay. Maybe this last is played in a tiny stadium.

User avatar
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 23:16
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: RWC 2019

Postby Silver Fox » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 11:05

Thank you.
The plan was to see some T2 hopefulls in action against T1 opposition.
All within a certain timeframe and logistically and financially possible of course.
My first choice was ARG-USA, AUS-GEO and JAP-SCO.
But when it was my time to place my order 2 of them were already gone.
So now it's going to be FRA-TON, SCO-RUS and AUS-GEO.

Judging the speed by which tickets became unavailable I had the impression that from the T2 games especially those with the USA and Canada were selling quite quickly.
Indicating that there is certainly a travelling audience outside T1 also.

Posts: 449
Joined: Sun, 19 Feb 2017, 18:10
National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: RWC 2019

Postby BigG » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 13:05

Silver Fox wrote:Thank you.
The plan was to see some T2 hopefulls in action against T1 opposition.
All within a certain timeframe and logistically and financially possible of course.
My first choice was ARG-USA, AUS-GEO and JAP-SCO.
But when it was my time to place my order 2 of them were already gone.
So now it's going to be FRA-TON, SCO-RUS and AUS-GEO.

Judging the speed by which tickets became unavailable I had the impression that from the T2 games especially those with the USA and Canada were selling quite quickly.
Indicating that there is certainly a travelling audience outside T1 also.


There are two very important aspects you should take into serious account while analyzing the situation with ticket selling.
1) Rich-poor countries. For example Georgia, even Romania could not compete with US, Canada and Western Europe.
2) Geographic proximity. US Pacific coast is much closer to Japan rather than Europe.

Posts: 3764
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: RWC 2019

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 19:41

I'm starting to get nervous watching France situation. If they fail to finish Top 3 at their RWC pool we're gonna see a qualifying spot gone for 2023 in an already strangled panorama for bottom Tier 2 and upper Tier 3 teams.

Posts: 166
Joined: Thu, 01 May 2014, 09:57

Re: RWC 2019

Postby armchair_expert » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 20:06

they are hosts

Posts: 2133
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: RWC 2019

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 20:19

Exactly, the top three from that group will qualify automatically as will France leaving only 7 qualification spots for the entire world.

#GrowingTheGame

Posts: 5760
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: RWC 2019

Postby victorsra » Wed, 13 Feb 2019, 13:06

But the way WR manages the Qualy nothing changes anyway. Their current maths are:

Europe: 8.5
Oceania: 4.5
Americas 3.5
Africa 2.5
Asia 1.5
Reps: 2

There was just a slight change in Oceania's path, nothing else and expected.

No matter what happens in the RWC, nothing changes, usless there's expansion, that won't happen for 2023...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 3008
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: RWC 2019

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 13 Feb 2019, 13:22

victorsra wrote:But the way WR manages the Qualy nothing changes anyway. Their current maths are:


Your numbers don't add up.
The right allocation is:
Europe: 8,625
Oceania: 4,75
Americas 3,25
Africa 2.25
Asia 1.125

Important to notice that this numbers are not influenced at all by who qualifies directly for 2023 nor who hosts the world cup.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 5546
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: RWC 2019

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 13 Feb 2019, 14:02

I said it before, I believe there's the very big chance that at least two T1 nations will fail to auto qualify this year.

Posts: 5760
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: RWC 2019

Postby victorsra » Wed, 13 Feb 2019, 14:12

RugbyLiebe wrote:
victorsra wrote:But the way WR manages the Qualy nothing changes anyway. Their current maths are:


Your numbers don't add up.
The right allocation is:
Europe: 8,625
Oceania: 4,75
Americas 3,25
Africa 2.25
Asia 1.125


Important to notice that this numbers are not influenced at all by who qualifies directly for 2023 nor who hosts the world cup.


By .5 I meant a Repechage spot, but I guess I should have written +1
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 621
Joined: Sun, 07 Dec 2014, 20:31
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: RWC 2019

Postby Figaro » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 13:01

thatrugbyguy wrote:I said it before, I believe there's the very big chance that at least two T1 nations will fail to auto qualify this year.


Which two? Conceivably France or Argentina could miss out if Tonga are on top of their game, but in every other group the tier 1 would need to slip up twice. Whilst Geo/Fij could conceivably beat one of WAL/Aud the smart money wouldn't back either to beat both.

Posts: 464
Joined: Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 02:19
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: RWC 2019

Postby Blurandski » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 13:07

Hosts don't auto qualify, there was a statement from WR before 2015 wrt Japan.

Plus I wouldn't rule out 2023 expansion until we see the Qual path.

Posts: 3008
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: RWC 2019

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 13:39

Blurandski wrote:Hosts don't auto qualify, there was a statement from WR before 2015 wrt Japan.

Plus I wouldn't rule out 2023 expansion until we see the Qual path.


I would love to read that statement. And I would bet a lot of money that this statement would become invalid the second the host misses qualification :D
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 5546
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: RWC 2019

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 13:54

Figaro wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:I said it before, I believe there's the very big chance that at least two T1 nations will fail to auto qualify this year.


Which two? Conceivably France or Argentina could miss out if Tonga are on top of their game, but in every other group the tier 1 would need to slip up twice. Whilst Geo/Fij could conceivably beat one of WAL/Aud the smart money wouldn't back either to beat both.


I'm not 100% convinced the Wallabies are safe.

Posts: 538
Joined: Sun, 06 Dec 2015, 06:42
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: RWC 2019

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 19:02

There are a few pool games that are interesting as i think the real dog fight will be who finishes third and gets automatic's qualified for 2023.


Pool A
1.Ireland (too good)
2.Scotland/Japan (one of the most interesting games to watch as this game is the last one in the pool. )
3.Samoa/Japan (depends which Samoa decides to show up to the tourney and how Japan reacts to pressure)
4.
5.Russia


Pool B
1.New Zealand/South Africa (either team can win on the day)
2.
3.Italy
4.Namibia
5.Canada (worst team at the tourney)

Pool C
1.England (too good)
2.France/Argentina (another game to watch, can go either way)
3.
4.USA/tonga ( the yanks are better athletes but rugby IQ will be the decider)
5.

Pool D
1.Australia/Wales (either or)
2.
3.Fiji (best of the rest, but have the ability to be awesome. but good enough to beat the aussie or wales im not sure)
4.Georgia
5.Uruguay

Posts: 5760
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: RWC 2019

Postby victorsra » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 19:15

https://www.elobservador.com.uy/nota/lo ... 9213151820

Uruguayan journalist Ignacio Chans talking about hte possibility of South America having one direct spot in the RWC.

South America is the only continent without a direct spot, as for 2019 South America 1 needed to play North America 2 in a Repechage.

That surprises me because I thought they would simply use the ARC, meaning equal chances between North and South for the 2 Americas spots...

And according to him there would be a Repechage spot too for South America.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat, 19 Apr 2014, 14:41
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: RWC 2019

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 15 Feb 2019, 23:01

A direct spot apart from Argentina you mean? In the same way that Asia doesn't have a direct spot apart from Japan?

Posts: 269
Joined: Sat, 03 May 2014, 00:22
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: RWC 2019

Postby Scoob » Sat, 16 Feb 2019, 01:45

I think Canada will beat Namibia despite there terrible form currently.

Posts: 5760
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: RWC 2019

Postby victorsra » Sat, 16 Feb 2019, 04:11

A direct spot apart from Argentina you mean? In the same way that Asia doesn't have a direct spot apart from Japan?


Yes, that's what they are discussing apparently....
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat, 19 Apr 2014, 14:41
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: RWC 2019

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 16 Feb 2019, 07:02

Well then this isn't true:
South America is the only continent without a direct spot
since Asia is in the same position.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], PRCL and 6 guests