Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby World Cup 2019

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019

Postby Canalina » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 09:13

BigG wrote:looks Italy is going to have the best ever result - 12 points (2 wins + 1 draw).

Well, it's ten points: two wins and a loss. Of course we are not going to really consider these two points, if not by joke

It seems that O'Shea and Parisse are quite furious about the decision, but I've still not read/heard their words

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 09:14

I just don't understand why there were no plans in place for something like this. They could have easily moved the Saturday games to Friday, and the Sunday games to Monday, even if the times were not great for TV. Inconvenient, yes, but at least the matches would be played and most fans would still be able to attend.
Last edited by thatrugbyguy on Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 09:15, edited 2 times in total.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 09:14

Canalina wrote:
BigG wrote:looks Italy is going to have the best ever result - 12 points (2 wins + 1 draw).

Well, it's ten points: two wins and a loss. Of course we are not going to really consider these two points, if not by joke

It seems that O'Shea and Parisse are quite furious about the decision, but I've still not read/heard their words

Would this have been Parisse's last match?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 09:15

Canalina wrote:It seems that O'Shea and Parisse are quite furious about the decision, but I've still not read/heard their words

https://www.onrugby.it/2019/10/10/itali ... piacevole/

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby antlat » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 09:39

As a supporter, I am bitterly disappointed as well.

It would have been magical to see Italy attempt to make the Quarter Finals for the first time and in the process send New Zealand home early. No it will always be... What if???

This is what happens when you have a rigid calendar agreement that only allows the World Cup to be played in September/October.

Now I only hope Japan make it on merit and not on weather anomaly.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 09:44

Yes, this is certainly not the way anybody would have wanted the Pool stage to end. It does beg the question though, what would have happened if this was the first weekend of the knockout rounds? What would have happened if it was the Final?

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 09:44

thatrugbyguy wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:Again,

This tournament has been a real snoozer. Scheduling, #of red cards handed out. The fact teams are being eliminated having not played a match and people seem to be ok with that? It's a joke.

I was in r/rugbyunion and people were like "Italy wouldn't beat the All Blacks anyways, doesn't matter they didn't play"

It makes a joke of the tournament and pool play. Why even bother?

I don't see anybody being ok with a lot from this tournament. Many games have been good but there's been a consistent stream of complaints regarding scheduling, red cards, inconsistent referees, the TMO's consistent butting in when not needed, the commentary from the world feed (Yes, I'm talking you, Sean Maloney), and now the lack of contingency in place for this. I've heard nothing but complaints outside of everyone saying Japan has been a wonderful host. This tournament has done a lot of good, but the governing body is being run by clowns. And for those saying the All Blacks were bound to win, whilst true, it means they would have gone two weeks without a match, whilst Ireland will have another game under their belt. Some players would prefer to play than not in a tournament like this because your rhythm can be lost .

NZ will be delighted with the week off. Its an attritional tournament so a week off is a hell of a bonus. No injuries and they can go into the 1/4 final fresh.

You can be sure Eddie Jones won't be complaining too much either.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 09:48

Word from Irish press suggests all quarterfinals may be moved to Oita next weekend. Will depend on what the storm does to Tokyo. There's going to be many rugby fans from the Europe, Australia and New Zealand who have never experiences weather like what's about to hit Japan.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 09:57

thatrugbyguy wrote:Yes, this is certainly not the way anybody would have wanted the Pool stage to end. It does beg the question though, what would have happened if this was the first weekend of the knockout rounds? What would have happened if it was the Final?

Rules say play-off games could be moved, not group stage games. Stupid rules - I would say.

It is interesting that we talk a lot about the on-going WC and nobody asks a question about what happens if Typhoon hits next Olympic games in Tokyo.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 10:00

Canalina wrote:

Here we go: https://www.facebook.com/espnscrum/post ... 8667173093

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 10:04

BigG wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:Yes, this is certainly not the way anybody would have wanted the Pool stage to end. It does beg the question though, what would have happened if this was the first weekend of the knockout rounds? What would have happened if it was the Final?

Rules say play-off games could be moved, not group stage games. Stupid rules - I would say.

It is interesting that we talk a lot about the on-going WC and nobody asks a question about what happens if Typhoon hits next Olympic games in Tokyo.

Never even thought of that.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 10:22

It begs the question, what are the sport world bodies thinking? For anyone interested in Athletics, look what happened in Doha; Absolute shambles. Events at 1 in the morning!!

You would have thought the strategists in the relevant ivory towers would have thought of this.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 10:29

@BIGG since you mentioned about typhoon season, how badly the Olympics would be affected?

The dates are Fri, 24 Jul 2020 – Sun, 9 Aug 2020 and the Paralympic Tue, 25 Aug 2020 – Sun, 6 Sep 2020

Greater or lesser chance?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 10:36

Thomas wrote:@BIGG since you mentioned about typhoon season, how badly the Olympics would be affected?

The dates are Fri, 24 Jul 2020 – Sun, 9 Aug 2020 and the Paralympic Tue, 25 Aug 2020 – Sun, 6 Sep 2020

Lesser, but still present according with what the sites on the net say. Typhoon season goes from july to november with a major chance of events in september/october

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 10:50

Thomas wrote:It begs the question, what are the sport world bodies thinking? For anyone interested in Athletics, look what happened in Doha; Absolute shambles. Events at 1 in the morning!!

You would have thought the strategists in the relevant ivory towers would have thought of this.

Here's what I imagined happened. The exact same rules for what happens to games that can't be played have been in the contract for every world cup for the past 20+ years. The issue the tournament has never had to contend with before is it's never been played in an area of the world susceptible to this type of weather event and WR simple forgot to amend the rules accordingly to take the location into account. Think about it. World Cups have either been played in either European Autumn, or Southern Hemisphere Spring, and both locations have pretty stable weather conditions at this time of year. You might get a freak storm happen, but you'll never get a storm like this that cancels pool matches. Essentially, World Rugby has had no experience with this type of situation and they simply didn't think hard enough to consider what would happen if it did.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 10:58

Thomas wrote:@BIGG since you mentioned about typhoon season, how badly the Olympics would be affected?

Only god knows what kind of weather will be at that time. However, Japan (see my post above) is very vulnerable from July to November. Typhoon affects the country almost every year.
My point is that the decision-makers should think twice before selecting this or that venue.
FIFA chose Qatar as WC venue and later started thinking about moving the dates from summer to winter.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 11:26

thatrugbyguy wrote:
Thomas wrote:It begs the question, what are the sport world bodies thinking? For anyone interested in Athletics, look what happened in Doha; Absolute shambles. Events at 1 in the morning!!

Here's what I imagined happened. The exact same rules for what happens to games that can't be played have been in the contract for every world cup for the past 20+ years. The issue the tournament has never had to contend with before is it's never been played in an area of the world susceptible to this type of weather event and WR simple forgot to amend the rules accordingly to take the location into account. Think about it. World Cups have either been played in either European Autumn, or Southern Hemisphere Spring, and both locations have pretty stable weather conditions at this time of year. You might get a freak storm happen, but you'll never get a storm like this that cancels pool matches. Essentially, World Rugby has had no experience with this type of situation and they simply didn't think hard enough to consider what would happen if it did.

Fair enough, but the Japan World Cup in 2002 was in May to June

Japan has hosted the World Athletic Championships twice surely that would have given people some thought: 1991 was held in August to September in Tokyo and 2007 in similar dates in Osaka. there is plenty of data as to world events held in Japan they should have known or taken it into consideration

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 11:52

Do you think it would matter? I mean, both IOC and World Rugby evaluate bids seriously and then official reports are ignored as the final vote depends on lobbying.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 12:01

Rugby Europe blunder with REC 2018 scandal looks as a joke compared with this...I can't imagine they didn't find a stadium in one of the most developed country in the world to play two matches.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 12:13

Hell yeah, vote Morariu for World Rugby!

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 12:16

Sorry boys but you are very very heavy. Very very very heavy. I'm not surprised anymore that people as Salvini are so popular in my country when in all the world the populistic thoughts have this success. Japan organizers was forced to cancel at least two games, losing a big amount of money on tickets and sponsors and tv rights refunding; there's a "super-typhoon" arriving, whose area is as big as half Europe, over a World Cup which just celebrated the victims and the resilience of Kumaishi, but no, the games should have been played, it's a scandal, it's a farce, it's a joke! (It's always a scandal, a farce, a joke...)
It's a conspiracy against Italy! And the yellow cards are a conspiracy against Fiji! And the schedule a conspiracy against Scotland!
And if sunday's match will be not cancelled it will be the proof that the cancellation of saturday's games is a scandal! And if instead it will be cancelled it is be the proof that there's a conspiracy to favor Japan!
And of course now we are all expert meteorologists, we all perfectly know that no sports event should be given to Japan from july to november. Or from january to december, considering the earthquakes. It's five years that we know that the RWC 2019 would have been in Japan, no one of us never said nothing about typhoons; but now all experts and professors and graduate in meteorologism

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 12:34

I think you're simply afraid of another trashing of Azzuri from ABs :P
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby-world-cu ... s/?sfns=mo

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 12:56

I have to really wonder what would have happened had South Africa beat NZ in that first match. The All Blacks would have eliminated at the pool stage. I can't imagine WR not doing everything it their power to have that match against Italy played if that happened, because the idea of NZ being eliminated in that fashion would have caused an uproar bigger than the storm.

Postby Natal » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 13:12

The All Blacks wouldn't be eliminated in that scenario. Even if the Boks had thrashed them, NZ still would have had (at least) 10 points, equal with Italy's current total, and a much greater point difference.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 13:24

I asked a Japanese friend (rugby guy that lives in Brazil) and he said there shouldn't be those sort of typhoon in October, as it is already automn. The same about the heat, it shoudn't be that hot and warm in Week 2 of the RWC, only in week 1. Which means WR when selected Japan was counting that no typhoon would happen in the end of the groups phase... maybe only on early stage. Maybe only an earthquake :?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum