Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby World Cup 2019

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 12:18

If Australia had beaten a 6N team 27-8 we wouldn't be surprised. But because it's Georgia they are apparently not good enough for a 6N place.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 12:18

I don't think the condition did help. The Wallabies were just shit.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 12:29

201 tackles Georgia made.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 12:32

jservuk wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:Considering last time Japanese GP was affected by a typhoon a driver died, I wouldn't take F1 as an example of anything.

I haven't checked but if you're referring the one in the 1980s, let's just say that times were very different then, and the emphasis on safety in F1 is very different since Senna/Ratzenberg deaths..

Mention of F1 is however apposite in this current typhoon debate. For as long as I can remember, F1 Japanese GP has been at this time of year, and they've largely avoided weather dangerous problems. On that basis perhaps we can forgive WR for thinking their chances of avoiding this were good as well.

He means Jules Bianche in 2015. It is a good point, though there were factors other than the weather apparently (I don't follow F1 much but my friend is a big fan and we actually spoke about it on Wednesday, so I googled it).

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 13:27

Closer scoreline that I expected. Good Georgian defense, but so much to work on. Georgia's main weapon, scrum wasn't present in this World cup. In retrospect I can say that it was due to wrong selection. Not taking Zhvania or Aseishvili was a huge mistake. Gogichashvili is a promising talent but it was too soon for him. Nariashvili is clearly not his old self. He recovered from recent operation and has some ways to go to get back to his best form. Backs had some moments here and there but overall, its bad. They need to invest in some serious coach for backs.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby SHIZZZO » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 13:28

A lot of soul searching to do now, if by next WC we are not playing a different style of rugby, we will find ourselves knocking on the T1 door for eternity. We missed a great chance, I mean from the quality of play we have seen from our team, it was not really a chance to be frank.
You are terminated!

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 13:32

NedRugby wrote:If Australia had beaten a 6N team 27-8 we wouldn't be surprised. But because it's Georgia they are apparently not good enough for a 6N place.

Yeah but if a 6N team would be beaten by Fiji in that way there's be some eyebrows raised and calls for to eliminate the respective team, look at Italy.

I think Georgia showed its limits this RWC and Haig have a "contribution" to this because he barely used the 4 years he had to build up some ambushes for Fiji, Wales and Australia like Joseph did for Ireland.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 13:37

GeoRugby wrote:Closer scoreline that I expected. Good Georgian defense, but so much to work on. Georgia's main weapon, scrum wasn't present in this World cup. In retrospect I can say that it was due to wrong selection. Not taking Zhvania or Aseishvili was a huge mistake. Gogichashvili is a promising talent but it was too soon for him. Nariashvili is clearly not his old self. He recovered from recent operation and has some ways to go to get back to his best form. Backs had some moments here and there but overall, its bad. They need to invest in some serious coach for backs.

It's the story for most T2 nations at the world cup, the defences have improved a lot, but the backs are severely lacking. It was nice to finally play you guys though! Let's hope it happens again in the next few years. :)

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 14:22

It was nice to finally play you guys though! Let's hope it happens again in the next few years

Definitely. I hope it is first of many games between Georgia and Australia.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 14:25

NedRugby wrote:Tim Visser, the most famous Dutch rugby player, is one of the commentators on Dutch television. He is repeating the mantra that Georgia is not worthy of a place in the six nations.

Scottish international, isn't he?

jservuk wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:Considering last time Japanese GP was affected by a typhoon a driver died, I wouldn't take F1 as an example of anything.

I haven't checked but if you're referring the one in the 1980s, let's just say that times were very different then, and the emphasis on safety in F1 is very different since Senna/Ratzenberg deaths..

Mention of F1 is however apposite in this current typhoon debate. For as long as I can remember, F1 Japanese GP has been at this time of year, and they've largely avoided weather dangerous problems. On that basis perhaps we can forgive WR for thinking their chances of avoiding this were good as well.

Bianchi, only five years ago. Yes, there was a crane off the road, but that race should never have been raced at that time, when the typhoon was arriving.

National Flag:
IsraelIsrael

Postby ZUKER » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 14:31

GeoRugby wrote:Closer scoreline that I expected. Good Georgian defense, but so much to work on. Georgia's main weapon, scrum wasn't present in this World cup. In retrospect I can say that it was due to wrong selection. Not taking Zhvania or Aseishvili was a huge mistake. Gogichashvili is a promising talent but it was too soon for him. Nariashvili is clearly not his old self. He recovered from recent operation and has some ways to go to get back to his best form. Backs had some moments here and there but overall, its bad. They need to invest in some serious coach for backs.

Mate, Gogichashvili REGULARLY plays as no.1 for Racing. This is a LEVEL. While Aseishvili was just after 1Y missing due to injury.
Agree with you about Misha - poor participation on this WC, and Zhvania had to replace HIM instead. Bit It seems to me its gonna be huge scandal in Georgia

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 15:12

[It's the story for most T2 nations at the world cup, the defences have improved a lot, but the backs are severely lacking. It was nice to finally play you guys though! Let's hope it happens again in the next few years. :)[/quote]

I do not think so.
Now all (t1) wish to play with Fiji and Japan.
Georgia is beyond their interest.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 15:38

ZUKER wrote:

Mate, Gogichashvili REGULARLY plays as no.1 for Racing. This is a LEVEL. While Aseishvili was just after 1Y missing due to injury.
Agree with you about Misha - poor participation on this WC, and Zhvania had to replace HIM instead. Bit It seems to me its gonna be huge scandal in Georgia

But Asieshvili was the best Georgian front-rower in the tests both in the scrum and open play. Zhvania never even got the chance. I personally feel like Zhvania-Asieshvili were the ones supposed to go but Coaches chose Name over current form.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Edgar » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 21:36

Edgar wrote:
Meanwhile, latest on the Russian bid for the 2027 World Cup, Today, Igor Artemyev, at a sports forum in Nizhny Novgorod, invited Putin to apply for the Rugby World Cup 2027 in Russia. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV_XYP3s7O8

I think my preference would be:

2027 SA (if they bid) or Australia (if not)
2031 Italy (if they bid) or Russia (if not)
2035 Argentina (if they bid) or US (if not)
2039 Russia
2043 US

If nothing else the typhoon sagas have brought to the surface those long-simmering frustrations of the less privileged members of the international rugby community, with complaints galore about double standards involving everything from the officiating and scheduling to typhoon-induced cancellations.

Whatever the outcome of this World Cup, hard questions need to be asked of the administrators before the next installment. Why are the foundation unions still receiving preferential treatment, both at the World Cup and in between tournaments? & Why are the rest still regarded as second class?

After the All Blacks vs Italy game was called off the press was full of quotes suggesting Italy were on a "hiding to nothing" anyway. Unbelievable! What's the point in holding a World Cup at all then? We knew before this one kicked off that most of the teams were only there to make up the numbers.

The press should have done its job and vilified the administration the way it would have if it were a FIFA event. But therein lies another of rugby's ingrained problems. Its most influential press dominated by the same small group of nations which maintain a stranglehold on the game.

& you can be sure this press is in league with the rugby establishment, rubbing shoulders at meetings and functions, sharing gin & tonics, receiving all manner of perks and privileges, reliant upon it for the very material which serves as the basis of its trade, and not disposed toward meaningful criticism.

It’s all a matter of class, and as American comedian and social critic George Carlin once put it: “It’s a big club, and you ain’t in it.”

Comments like this in the Samoan Observer, meanwhile, won't see the light of day in the international community:

"Rugby is in the middle of a decades-long identity crisis brought on by the professional era and trying to take a corporation’s philosophy to running national sport. For centuries national sports have been much deeper than that; the pride of representing one’s nation and seeing it represented on the field is ineffable and the values of sportsmanship, and respect are on display nowhere more in the world than the Pacific.

World Rugby has lost sight of this value. Their treatment of the Pacific teams has been shameful. But what’s more it is bad strategy,

They have created a council structure where values like respect between nations and sportsmanship are designed by committee. And, ultimately, one run by its wealthiest members; a less consequential microcosm of the U.N. Security Council, if you will.

That may be good for their bottom-line in the short-term. But as time goes by all this will do is entrench dominant teams; test the loyalty of the truest fans and make the sport more predictable and one-sided."

https://www.samoaobserver.ws/category/e ... 7IDti7URNo

Japan should join Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands in an alliance
Now in article form: https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/10/11/j ... -alliance/

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 22:05

Edgar wrote:
Edgar wrote:
Meanwhile, latest on the Russian bid for the 2027 World Cup, Today, Igor Artemyev, at a sports forum in Nizhny Novgorod, invited Putin to apply for the Rugby World Cup 2027 in Russia. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV_XYP3s7O8

The press should have done its job and vilified the administration the way it would have if it were a FIFA event. But therein lies another of rugby's ingrained problems. Its most influential press dominated by the same small group of nations which maintain a stranglehold on the game.

& you can be sure this press is in league with the rugby establishment, rubbing shoulders at meetings and functions, sharing gin & tonics, receiving all manner of perks and privileges, reliant upon it for the very material which serves as the basis of its trade, and not disposed toward meaningful criticism.

It’s all a matter of class, and as American comedian and social critic George Carlin once put it: “It’s a big club, and you ain’t in it.”

Japan should join Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands in an alliance
Now in article form: https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/10/11/j ... -alliance/

Interesting point. One notices how the press that cover football will write many more column inches attacking various aspects of the sport here in the UK to the point you often wonder whether the scribes actually like the sport they earn a living off. The RU press, by enlarge are a lot more positive about their sport, more or less towing the party line of keeping the 6N, AIs, British Lions in tact as sacred cows.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 10:45

Entire pitch in Fukuoka has been relaid for Samoa v Ireland.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 11:08

Funny to see Mark Dodson, head of theScottish union talk about 'sporting integrity' if Scotland are eliminated from the contest.

Yet he campaigns against promotion / relegation from the 6N and hires full time staff to lure players with Scottish grandparents from other unions.

I don't think anyine should be taking lectures on from him on integrity or values.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 11:13

Look, it's just bad luck for Scotland if they are eliminated that way. The reality is if they had beaten Ireland themselves they wouldn't be in this position in the first place.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby CraigChalmers » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 11:21

thatrugbyguy wrote:
dropkick wrote:The Scots are considering legal action. Not a good day for world rugby. The cancellations could cost a lot of money too. It's a matter of how many millions. €20m or €30m?

That’s a bit rich considering they came out being ok with the rules earlier in the week when the storm was originally headed for the Ireland game. Yeah, ‘rules are rules’ is all well and good when it benefits them, but now they are the ones who may be affected their attitude has changed.

Have you actually read what Townsend said? He said his understanding was that the game had to be played that day or cancelled. He then went on to say he felt the rules left it open to change the venue and ensure the game was played. He absolutely did not suggest the game should just be cancelled and called a draw, the way many Irish fans on twitter seem to be suggesting he did (Usually followed immediately by having another dig at the SRU for not voting for Ireland's 2023 RWC bid).

I think it's reasonable to assume he will have taken a much closer interest in what the rules say since the predicted path changed to hit Yokohama - and besides, everything I have seen from him this week is "we are assuming we are playing Japan on sunday evening". The complaints have been from Mark Dodson mostly, who has taken legal advice, and obviously feels they have a case - from what I have read, based on a force majeure clause in the tournament rules that allows for far greater flexibility in such circumstances.

Obviously the safety of everyone involved must be the primary concern, however World Rugby's decision to delay making a decision has forced many of the Scotland fans I know over there into changing their plans - to travel back to Tokyo/Yokohama earlier and brace themselves for what is to come, rather than staying elsewhere and travelling back for the game on sunday. Is that really the safest option here?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby antlat » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 11:25

These new head high rules are oing to destroy this game.

Another Red Card!

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 11:34

Players can't get any lower. What does WR expect them to do? Tackle on their knees?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 11:36

CraigChalmers wrote:Have you actually read what Townsend said? He said his understanding was that the game had to be played that day or cancelled. He then went on to say he felt the rules left it open to change the venue and ensure the game was played. He absolutely did not suggest the game should just be cancelled and called a draw, the way many Irish fans on twitter seem to be suggesting he did (Usually followed immediately by having another dig at the SRU for not voting for Ireland's 2023 RWC bid).

I think it's reasonable to assume he will have taken a much closer interest in what the rules say since the predicted path changed to hit Yokohama - and besides, everything I have seen from him this week is "we are assuming we are playing Japan on sunday evening". The complaints have been from Mark Dodson mostly, who has taken legal advice, and obviously feels they have a case - from what I have read, based on a force majeure clause in the tournament rules that allows for far greater flexibility in such circumstances.

Obviously the safety of everyone involved must be the primary concern, however World Rugby's decision to delay making a decision has forced many of the Scotland fans I know over there into changing their plans - to travel back to Tokyo/Yokohama earlier and brace themselves for what is to come, rather than staying elsewhere and travelling back for the game on sunday. Is that really the safest option here?

I've never been involved in a typhoon, hurricane of cyclone so I don't know that the best options are.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 11:57

Samoa have a one man advantage for 60 mins and yet somehow look like they are the ones who are a man short.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 12:03

Can Aki appeal the red and be dowgraded to Yellow? Honest question. or is he out of the tournament altogether?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 12:05

He can appeal as far as I know.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum