Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canada's long road out of the wilderness that was 2018

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Canada's long road out of the wilderness that was 2018

Postby rugbylineout » Mon, 21 Jan 2019, 15:28

Here's our view on Canada's troubled 2018 which ultimately ended so positively. Lots of questions to be answered once the ARC kicks off in a fortnight, but really hope that Canada's freefall down the world rankings has finally come to a stop. Lot of work to do if we are able to put in any kind of a credible challenge in Japan in what will be an exceptionally difficult Pool. therugbylineout.com

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canada's long road out of the wilderness that was 2018

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 21 Jan 2019, 15:51

rugbylineout wrote:Here's our view on Canada's troubled 2018 which ultimately ended so positively. Lots of questions to be answered once the ARC kicks off in a fortnight, but really hope that Canada's freefall down the world rankings has finally come to a stop. Lot of work to do if we are able to put in any kind of a credible challenge in Japan in what will be an exceptionally difficult Pool. therugbylineout.com

https://therugbylineout.com

"As evidenced by the growth in popularity of sports such as rugby league"

Interesting read but i have yet to see any growth in rugby league. Has there been any new rugby league only clubs? is it now being played in high schools? Junior Provincial competitions? Other then the Wolfpack being funded by a millionaire, which is awesome and I wish one would get going on a Vancouver MLR team, There isn't anything that says its growing in popularity other then the free tickets being handed out by the Wolfpack .

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rugbylineout » Mon, 21 Jan 2019, 16:27

snapper37 wrote:
rugbylineout wrote:Here's our view on Canada's troubled 2018 which ultimately ended so positively. Lots of questions to be answered once the ARC kicks off in a fortnight, but really hope that Canada's freefall down the world rankings has finally come to a stop. Lot of work to do if we are able to put in any kind of a credible challenge in Japan in what will be an exceptionally difficult Pool. therugbylineout.com

https://therugbylineout.com

"As evidenced by the growth in popularity of sports such as rugby league"

Interesting read but i have yet to see any growth in rugby league. Has there been any new rugby league only clubs? is it now being played in high schools? Junior Provincial competitions? Other then the Wolfpack being funded by a millionaire, which is awesome and I wish one would get going on a Vancouver MLR team, There isn't anything that says its growing in popularity other then the free tickets being handed out by the Wolfpack .

Fair point, and yes we agree that League has yet to catch on at a national level, but it is capturing a significant amount of the imagination in a major catchment market, plus it seems to get much better television coverage. Look at how difficult it was to see Canada's games this November or even during the ARC on TSN supposedly the "official" broadcaster of Rugby Canada. Ultimately it's all about momentum and visibility, something which Rugby Canada seems to really struggle with. Also agree that expansion of the MLR into Canada is key for the Union game and its popularity here, which would address a lot of those visibility and momentum issues particularly if we could get two teams, ie Vancouver and one in the East with Toronto probably being the most likely candidate for the East.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Mon, 21 Jan 2019, 17:37

MLR is pretty much a godsend, at the right time to be an alternate to Rugby Canada actually getting it's shit together. A Vancouver team would go a long way to helping the Arrows leapfrog the Wolfpack in Toronto as well, with two teams getting twice the national exposure
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Grayday88 » Mon, 21 Jan 2019, 23:01

It’s interesting you say that rugby league is growing massively inCanada when it it is struggling in the UK and has made futurally no inroads outside its North of England heartlands

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rugbylineout » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 01:42

Grayday88 wrote:It’s interesting you say that rugby league is growing massively inCanada when it it is struggling in the UK and has made futurally no inroads outside its North of England heartlands

I don't think we ever said it is growing massively in Canada, but what we have seen is a very successful franchise here in Toronto which has had considerable success and is regularly well attended by an enthusiastic crowd. Furthermore it has been exceptionally well publicised and receives solid media coverage all of which helps create further interest, especially as the team has been so successful in terms of results on the pitch. There are plenty of lessons here for Rugby Canada and the Union game should it wish to examine them, something the current management seem either reluctant or incapable of doing, with the national team in particular suffering as a result. While Canada's efforts in Japan this year will get the necessary media coverage and full TV rights, the buildup to the tournament and the struggle Canada had to qualify in the first place will be news to most Canadians tuning in who are not regular followers of the sport.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 05:58

While I wouldn't say league is huge, it is growing. Clubs have formed in Edmonton and Calgary this year.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 14:54

ruckovercdn wrote:While I wouldn't say league is huge, it is growing. Clubs have formed in Edmonton and Calgary this year.

That is true but it’s still almost all Union guys looking to have additional fun on the side. Though I am impressed by the effort and work Lawrence and Tom have put in to get people interested and playing in Alberta.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 17:51

Buffalo wrote:
ruckovercdn wrote:While I wouldn't say league is huge, it is growing. Clubs have formed in Edmonton and Calgary this year.

That is true but it’s still almost all Union guys looking to have additional fun on the side. Though I am impressed by the effort and work Lawrence and Tom have put in to get people interested and playing in Alberta.

Lots of expats or Aussies out for a run, just as the group in Abbotsford.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 19:33

I would say that you're nowhere close to get our of the Wilderness and it only gets tougher from here.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rugbylineout » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 21:53

TheStroBro wrote:I would say that you're nowhere close to get our of the Wilderness and it only gets tougher from here.

Given the present management at Rugby Canada, couldn't agree with you more mate!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Thu, 24 Jan 2019, 01:46

rugbylineout wrote:
Grayday88 wrote:It’s interesting you say that rugby league is growing massively inCanada when it it is struggling in the UK and has made futurally no inroads outside its North of England heartlands

I don't think we ever said it is growing massively in Canada, but what we have seen is a very successful franchise here in Toronto which has had considerable success and is regularly well attended by an enthusiastic crowd. Furthermore it has been exceptionally well publicised and receives solid media coverage all of which helps create further interest, especially as the team has been so successful in terms of results on the pitch. There are plenty of lessons here for Rugby Canada and the Union game should it wish to examine them, something the current management seem either reluctant or incapable of doing, with the national team in particular suffering as a result. While Canada's efforts in Japan this year will get the necessary media coverage and full TV rights, the buildup to the tournament and the struggle Canada had to qualify in the first place will be news to most Canadians tuning in who are not regular followers of the sport.

Such a successful franchise that they forgot to have the funds ready to pay their bills in December?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Thu, 24 Jan 2019, 03:17

snapper37 wrote:
Buffalo wrote:

Lots of expats or Aussies out for a run, just as the group in Abbotsford.

Nah I'd say its 90 percent domestic. That said Buffalo is right that it's all Union guys just looking for a run.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Thu, 24 Jan 2019, 04:13

Canadaman wrote:
rugbylineout wrote:

Such a successful franchise that they forgot to have the funds ready to pay their bills in December?

Brian Noble was on a podcast last week and explained the situation. Essentially an investor they had lined up unexpectedly pulled out due to the economic downturn before XMas. This left them with an unexpected shortfall which the original ownership group stepped in and covered. Not an uncommon situation in Rugby by any stretch.

They managed to secure new funding from a new investor and have solidifed the club for the next 5+ years.

Of note, Sky Sports, will be airing every single Wolfpack home and away game next season. Expect them to be on Rogers Sportsnet next season.

The club is fine. I'll find a link to the podcast.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 01:48

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
Canadaman wrote:
rugbylineout wrote:

Brian Noble was on a podcast last week and explained the situation. Essentially an investor they had lined up unexpectedly pulled out due to the economic downturn before XMas. This left them with an unexpected shortfall which the original ownership group stepped in and covered. Not an uncommon situation in Rugby by any stretch.

They managed to secure new funding from a new investor and have solidifed the club for the next 5+ years.

Of note, Sky Sports, will be airing every single Wolfpack home and away game next season. Expect them to be on Rogers Sportsnet next season.

The club is fine. I'll find a link to the podcast.

I doubt the Sportsnet comment and we'll see about 5+ years. I personally think its has zero growth, no school programs, no junior programs, no provincial programs and if your a kid that can play Union where do you see the greater growth, AKA Quinn Ngawati back in union

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 14:31

snapper37 wrote:
I doubt the Sportsnet comment and we'll see about 5+ years. I personally think its has zero growth, no school programs, no junior programs, no provincial programs and if your a kid that can play Union where do you see the greater growth, AKA Quinn Ngawati back in union

Seeing how the Arrows do this year will tell us a lot about how it's gonna shake out. In theory, if TWP make super league, don't have to pay for opponents' flights anymore, and get enough sponsors to cover cost, they could continue in perpetuity. But if the Arrows get a similar following, they have a higher potential for growth due to being in a North American league, with far more people knowing the sport in Canada, and being part of a larger sport globally.

We need Vancouver ASAP, that will more than double interest in the Arrows.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Thu, 31 Jan 2019, 00:54

Wolf pack was on Sportsnet this year ?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Thu, 31 Jan 2019, 02:00

ruckovercdn wrote:Wolf pack was on Sportsnet this year ?

Yes, Sportsnet owns the rights to the Challenge Cup and Super League. They usually show on Sportsnet World but showed Toronto vs Warrington on Sportsnet One.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 31 Jan 2019, 16:17

jonny24 wrote:
snapper37 wrote:

Seeing how the Arrows do this year will tell us a lot about how it's gonna shake out. In theory, if TWP make super league, don't have to pay for opponents' flights anymore, and get enough sponsors to cover cost, they could continue in perpetuity. But if the Arrows get a similar following, they have a higher potential for growth due to being in a North American league, with far more people knowing the sport in Canada, and being part of a larger sport globally.

We need Vancouver ASAP, that will more than double interest in the Arrows.

Agreed but a Vancouver team is at least a few years away as there isn't any talk of a team forming, no back ground chatter, no ownership rumours.......no anything.

Return to Rugby Forum