Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

South American League (LAR)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

South American League (LAR)

Postby mcv_T2 » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 16:21

I guess the south american league (LAR) now deserves its own topic here.

The new league is coming for next year, as the news are poping up around:

http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/noticia ... ntar-staff

https://www.elobservador.com.uy/nota/pi ... 9118221218

https://www.diariouno.com.ar/ovacion/ru ... _SJsjXVaG4

https://www.lagaceta.com.ar/nota/795737 ... encia.html

National Flag:
ChileChile

Re: South American League (LAR)

Postby ficcp » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 18:52

I suppose that most of the southamerican players will participate in the LAR(in some of the franchises) but also in the national team for the 2020 ARC. How will they arrange the shedule?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 18:54

It was suggested in another topic that ARC may move to Summer.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby mcv_T2 » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 19:10

ficcp wrote:I suppose that most of the southamerican players will participate in the LAR(in some of the franchises) but also in the national team for the 2020 ARC. How will they arrange the shedule?

Sebastián Pineyrúa (president of Sudamerica Rugby) said that ARC probably will be moved to august/september. The article is here:
https://www.elobservador.com.uy/nota/pi ... 9118221218

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 19:56

It's under a paywall for a few days but Eugenio Astesiano talked about LAR at Hablemos de Rugby podcast:
https://www.ivoox.com/hablemos-rugby-21 ... 036_1.html

Basically he told all unions are waiting for a UAR meeting on February 8 to disclose their plans, he was slightly skeptical and said there are five or six bids within Argentina.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 20:44

Armchair Fan wrote:It was suggested in another topic that ARC may move to Summer.

Winter for our Southern Hemisphere friends ;) Proposed time is August/September which will line up with the Americas Rugby Challenge (2nd tier).

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 24 Jan 2019, 14:03

South American calendar will be:

Late January-May/Early June = LAR
Rest of June = ?
July = Tests
August-September = ARC
October = ?
November = Tests

This is for sure. The questions are:

South American Championship? June or October?
And what about MLR-LAR playoffs? It was previously suggested a competition between team from both leagues.

December is rest and January pre-season/Sevens
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Thu, 24 Jan 2019, 19:20

I'd keep June and October rests if possible. Better to have more rest than less rest.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 25 Jan 2019, 01:54

I agree. That's why I suggested that the South American Championship might either be cancelled or transformed into an "A" teams affair.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Fri, 25 Jan 2019, 02:19

Argentina and Uruguay played with A teams in the last version.

LAR shoild consider 3 or 4 argentinian franchises, they have the players and the teams to support it in several provinces. I suppose is easier for Cordoba, Rosario or Tucuman to conform one franchise than to Uruguay conform two.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Fri, 25 Jan 2019, 03:06

I would imagine that the league will expand in the next few years, probably with more Argentine franchises, and one from Medellín. Maybe some of the current teams fold, maybe just one Uruguayan team, maybe just one Brazilian, maybe the paraguayan one folds.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 25 Jan 2019, 12:17

What I mean is that if South American Championship clashes dates with LAR all teams will have to play without LAR players...

Man, I can't even tell you if the 2 Brazilian franchises will be sustainable. There is no such rugby market in Brazil people abroad believe.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Mon, 28 Jan 2019, 03:12

Let ´s assume a LAR with 8 franchises with a total of 4 matches per week during 14 weeks plus 2 weeks for a break.

How much would it cost to each franchise? I heard a cost figure for Jaguares first year (which of course would be much higher compared with any LAR team) of US $ 4 million, but I could not confirm it.

If it is possible to estimate a complete budget for each franchise, the question is : ¿Are there private or public sponsors interested in providing that amount?

In Chile the financing should come only from private sources. If the amount is in the range of 2 to 3 US $ million per season, I do not preview many interested sponsors. Some sort of subsidy (¿World Rugby?) would be necessary.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Mon, 28 Jan 2019, 06:18

It takes around US$ 8 million to run Jaguares.

I can’t see LAR going past US$ 500K. The budget is just air travel and payroll. They are going to cut corners everywhere else.

This is an experiment. Nobody is going all-in the first year. Most of the players will be in cheap six month contracts. Only the ones who play for their national team might get their earnings propped up with WR grants.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 28 Jan 2019, 09:59

What matters is at least an attempt is being made to professionalise the whole continent. I would rather they spend 4 or 5 years with 8 teams being semi-pro first in order to build the brand of the league, and then make the switch to full professional once we've worked out all the issues. Club stability is the first priority. If all the teams are able to survive the first few years then it's a good sign.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 11:29

The Argentine Rugby Union issued today a statement on the project of the South American Rugby League.

https://www.sudamericarugby.org/2019/01 ... americana/

The gist of it is as follows:

In the first instance, the issue will be discussed at the next meeting of the Board of Directors of the Argentine Rugby Union, which will be held on February 9 in Neuquén, in the framework of the Americas Rugby Championship.

The UAR has stated that the main objective of this League will be to expand the base of existing players, to begin to grow gradually and sustainable, contribute to the development of rugby in our region and improve the current competition. It will also be a way to collaborate with their growth and protect rugby in our country. Therefore, we want to get involved in its development and development.

It is the intention of the UAR to try to lead both the South American Franchise system and the format of the competition.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Thu, 31 Jan 2019, 21:50

La Nacion weighed in on the LAR > https://www.lanacion.com.ar/2216093-la- ... mateurismo

Paraguay, Chile and Córdoba will associate their franchises with football clubs Olimpia, Universidad Católica and Talleres.

The report mentions that there would be no more than five Argentines in the foreign franchises but that contradicts everything we have been hearing from official sources.

Salaries will go from US$ 500 to US$ 3.500 per month. If those contracts are only for the semester, it could be a problem because the amateur clubs won’t let them come back in the middle of the season. Some will play for Argentina XV/Pampas XV but others could be without competition for eight months.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 06:55

Very interesting! Thanks, Carbonero!

Not sure how good it is for Paraguay and Chile to have football clubs associated with their franchises. There are very strong rivalries in local football. I can't think about Cerro Porteño fans cheering for Olimpia in any sport. And the same for Colo-Colo and Universidad de Chile about Universidad Católica. Certainly rugby fans that are fans of those rival clubs will have problems with this. Very different from Uruguay choosing both Nacional and Peñarol.

BTW, did you know Recife's (one of major Northeast Brazil cities) rugby club is called Talleres after the Talleres de Córdoba. They were founded by a Cordobese.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 09:58

If that's a genuine problem then I don't think they're really rugby fans.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 10:06

There aren't enough rugby fans there, they will have to bring in general sport or even fans too, and alienating some of them due to the club identity is not a good idea IMO.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 13:51

Yes, very bad idea. And even the most genuine Latin American rugby fan has a soccer support and it will 100% for sure upset people. Football allegiances in South America are realy serious. The most dieheard rugby fan that is also a Cerro Porteño fan in Asuncion would NEVER wear an Olimpia shirt. Maybe they'll watch and go to the match, but with a Paraguay shirt and very annoyed. Same for Colo-Colo and Universidad de Chile fans in Santiago. It is like to tell a Real Madrid fan to support Barcelona rugby.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 17:29

You need bums on seats. Olimpia has a better chance of succeeding than “insert plastic name here”. They shouldn’t care about Cerro fans. Better hate than indifference.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 18:25

But don't you think a "Yakarés Rugby" or something that sounds like it wouldn't put the bums anyway? Not sure if Olimpia rugby would put more bums than the national team itself.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 18:34

People generally support their club in the sport they like. Very few would go to support the rugby club just because it has the name as the football club they support, but many of those who would support the club wouldn't support it because it has the name as the club they hate in football.

Postby 4N » Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 18:42

iul wrote:People generally support their club in the sport they like. Very few would go to support the rugby club just because it has the name as the football club they support, but many of those who would support the club wouldn't support it because it has the name as the club they hate in football.

Disagree. Multisport clubs are among the most successful in European basketball, “minor” sports in the American NCAA benefit from fans who follow their school primarily because of football and basketball. No way would University of Michigan sell out a 100,000 seat stadium for a hockey game if it wasn’t for football fans, for example. The BYU-Utah game has attracted some of the best crowds in American domestic rugby due to this factor.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum