Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 06 Mar 2020, 23:49

Pedro1 wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:
Pedro1 wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:Higher than MLR, GRR, Top 12, Top League, Superliga and Russian Premier League. But lower than Pro D2. At the moment lower than RFU Championship, but that could change with funding cuts in England.

Have you ever watched a game from any of those leagues? You are hallucinating if you think SLAR is a higher level than the Japanese Top League.

I'm not hallucinating when I watch Top League, where tackling seems optional, and most players are factory workers with a few famous marquee (has-been) players on each side.

SLAR is a league of professional teams.

Peñarol = Uruguay (Fiji slayers) strengthened with some of the best tier 2 players and Argentinians
Selknam = Chile re-enforced with some Argentinians
Corinthians = Brazil
Ceibos = Argentina's 2nd pro team
Olimpia Lions = basically Argentina's 3rd pro team, based in Paraguay.

My friend, you have got to be trolling if you are calling the likes of De Allende, Pocock, Read, Whitelock, Vermeulen "has-beens". Not to mention that even a 37 years old Dan Carter is so much better than any player in SLAR it's not even funny. And if you take out the "has beens" as you say, you still have a bunch of Mitre 10 guys.
The "factory workers" made a world cup quarter final, how many apart from the Uruguayans have even been to a world cup?
Just because you don't like the style of play in the competition, doesn't make it objectively better/worse.

Of course the Japan team are professionals. But there are 16 Top League teams, so does that mean there are 700 or so professional rugby players in Japan? Of course not. There are some very good professionals in the Top League but most of those teams would lose to a professional team from another league because the amateur players are the weak links in defence.
I actually love the Japanese style of rugby. Junior Japan against Tonga A yesterday were fantastic. And if Japan launches its new fully professional league it will be one of the best leagues in the world.

Unread postby TuMachNach » Sat, 07 Mar 2020, 00:08

Please, stop this nonsense discussion. It looks like children discussing whose father is the best.

I wrote nonsense because SLAR has shown us only one match till now and there's no gain in comparing it with other leagues. Some comments are a direct offense to a team or player which is invoked in it and IMO that's not in concordance with the spirit of the sport.

Unread postby TuMachNach » Sat, 07 Mar 2020, 00:09

Pedro1 wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:
Pedro1 wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:Higher than MLR, GRR, Top 12, Top League, Superliga and Russian Premier League. But lower than Pro D2. At the moment lower than RFU Championship, but that could change with funding cuts in England.

Have you ever watched a game from any of those leagues? You are hallucinating if you think SLAR is a higher level than the Japanese Top League.

I'm not hallucinating when I watch Top League, where tackling seems optional, and most players are factory workers with a few famous marquee (has-been) players on each side.

SLAR is a league of professional teams.

Peñarol = Uruguay (Fiji slayers) strengthened with some of the best tier 2 players and Argentinians
Selknam = Chile re-enforced with some Argentinians
Corinthians = Brazil
Ceibos = Argentina's 2nd pro team
Olimpia Lions = basically Argentina's 3rd pro team, based in Paraguay.

My friend, you have got to be trolling if you are calling the likes of De Allende, Pocock, Read, Whitelock, Vermeulen "has-beens". Not to mention that even a 37 years old Dan Carter is so much better than any player in SLAR it's not even funny. And if you take out the "has beens" as you say, you still have a bunch of Mitre 10 guys.
The "factory workers" made a world cup quarter final, how many apart from the Uruguayans have even been to a world cup?

I think that only one, Lucas Mensa.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Unread postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 07 Mar 2020, 00:16

Namibians and Nalaga, no?

It is still not a measure of the average quality of a league.

Unread postby TuMachNach » Sat, 07 Mar 2020, 00:49

Circa 6500 fans in the stadium. This looks a little small for such a crowd.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Unread postby TheStroBro » Sat, 07 Mar 2020, 00:51

TuMachNach wrote:Circa 6500 fans in the stadium. This looks a little small for such a crowd.

There's definitely not 6500 people at this game. Looks like it could be 2k.

Unread postby TuMachNach » Sat, 07 Mar 2020, 00:55

TheStroBro wrote:
TuMachNach wrote:Circa 6500 fans in the stadium. This looks a little small for such a crowd.

That number was announced by the organization. BTW, I'm not an expert counting people, Can you teach me please?

National Flag:

Unread postby TheStroBro » Sat, 07 Mar 2020, 01:08

TuMachNach wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

That number was announced by the organization. BTW, I'm not an expert counting people, Can you teach me please?

I looked at the Bleachers extending only out to the 22s, then there only being like 8 rows. Then thinking about the fence being lined. I'd hazard that if there is a stand on the camera side...then 4k? 6500 seems stupid high.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Unread postby carbonero » Sat, 07 Mar 2020, 01:10

The bleacher on the side of the camera is double the size.

Edit: I think I'm wrong. It is half the size. 6.500 seems excessive.

Unread postby TuMachNach » Sat, 07 Mar 2020, 01:20

TheStroBro wrote:
TuMachNach wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

I looked at the Bleachers extending only out to the 22s, then there only being like 8 rows. Then thinking about the fence being lined. I'd hazard that if there is a stand on the camera side...then 4k? 6500 seems stupid high.

Have you watched the stand on the camera side? Or, Have you counted the people around the pitch?

It's not so easy to count because of those sides.

6500 stupid high? I don't think so.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Unread postby carbonero » Sat, 07 Mar 2020, 03:24

The first round has been pretty boring. Zero rhythm. Tons of penalties. Error-ridden. They need to book better pre-season games next time around.

Refs have to do their part in improving the product. The first match was a mess so I can understand the high penalty count but today they were extremely rigorous with Olimpia. Just let them play.

Nice turnout in Tala. Love the shirt as well.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 07 Mar 2020, 03:28

Ceibos 48 - Olimpia Lions 8.
As expected Ceibos will be the team to beat.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Unread postby argie » Sat, 07 Mar 2020, 05:21

carbonero wrote:The bleacher on the side of the camera is double the size.

I went to the match and the stadium was full. My calculation was 7,000. Lots of kids with free pass. Nice to see this.
While the capacity can be expanded, parking is a problem. There are no parking facilities. I had to leave my car far away.
Another thing to improve is the addressing of the tower lights. There were areas where they were brighter than others.

National Flag:

Unread postby Tobar » Sat, 07 Mar 2020, 06:03

argie wrote:

I went to the match and the stadium was full. My calculation was 7,000. Lots of kids with free pass. Nice to see this.
While the capacity can be expanded, parking is a problem. There are no parking facilities. I had to leave my car far away.
Another thing to improve is the addressing of the tower lights. There were areas where they were brighter than others.

You could see this on the stream - some parts were bright and others dim. It looked odd and not professional, which makes some sense because this is not a professional stadium.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Unread postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 07 Mar 2020, 07:41

argie wrote:

How was the game received in general? I don't really care what the figure was more that the ground was full. Which is what really matters. Happy to see the locals at least willing to give SLAR a go. Would be great if next season Argentina could get a 2nd side up and running. Having one based in Tucuman and another in Cordoba. Would give the Jaguares a really solid pool of talent to draw from. If not, perhaps more freedom of movement for Argentines wanting to pursue the opportunity to feature more in others franchises. Anyway. A pleasing start to the competition. Solid crowd in Montevideo especially for a Wednesday night game and a really good crowd in Cordoba.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 07 Mar 2020, 09:25

TuMachNach wrote:Please, stop this nonsense discussion. It looks like children discussing whose father is the best.

I wrote nonsense because SLAR has shown us only one match till now and there's no gain in comparing it with other leagues. Some comments are a direct offense to a team or player which is invoked in it and IMO that's not in concordance with the spirit of the sport.

Your comment is very sensitive and that is not in accordance with the spirit of the sport. I am English but I still think that Super Rugby and Pro 14 are slightly stronger leagues than the English Premiership. Pro D2 is definitely stronger than the English Championship. I am actually envious of the Pro D2 and I am happy to admit it. It's not about saying your league is better than another, it's just trying to objectively rank them. World Rugby ranks teams without them ever playing each other. Ranking teams, players and leagues is quite normal.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Unread postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 07 Mar 2020, 12:28

Crowd looked pretty good for both games. Encouraging start for the league.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Sat, 07 Mar 2020, 17:20

Corinthians (in fact, CBRu) hasn't defined which stadium will be used. They haven't reach an agreement with any stadium yet. It is likely they'll have a different stadium each round.

The first home match will be probably be at São José dos Campos (TBC).
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Tue, 10 Mar 2020, 16:35

4N wrote:Their domain is http://slar.rugby but it doesn’t appear to have any content yet.

It has content now but it os the first website in the history of professional sports leagues without fixtures or standings. I hope they're still working on it.

National Flag:

Unread postby Tobar » Tue, 10 Mar 2020, 16:39

Overall it’s a pretty decent website, except for that one glaring issue. Would be great if all the teams also had their own website but since it took until just a few weeks ago for most to even have social media I’d imagine we have to wait for that.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Unread postby Canalina » Tue, 10 Mar 2020, 17:02

I wasn't able to find a SLAR calendar, neither in the usually highly detailed wikipedia pages; I've found now one on ESPN.ar

https://www.espn.com.ar/rugby/nota/_/id ... de-la-slar

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Tue, 10 Mar 2020, 17:31

Tobar wrote:Overall it’s a pretty decent website, except for that one glaring issue. Would be great if all the teams also had their own website but since it took until just a few weeks ago for most to even have social media I’d imagine we have to wait for that.

Decent? How? A league that doesn't show fixtures, results or table?! It is useless. The worst possible because that's the basic information.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Tue, 10 Mar 2020, 18:13

Canalina wrote:I wasn't able to find a SLAR calendar, neither in the usually highly detailed wikipedia pages; I've found now one on ESPN.ar

https://www.espn.com.ar/rugby/nota/_/id ... de-la-slar

This league really could have done with another team. Three games a week is much better than two.
Does Peñarol have a game this weekend? I mean I know they have a bye in the SLAR but they could do with playing a game if there are any suitable opponents.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Tue, 10 Mar 2020, 19:39

It doesn't have more teams because nobody else wanted to afford it. The original plan was 8 teams...

We are lucky Brazil is playing. 100% CBRu money (donated by its own Council people), no sponsors, no TV, no stadium yet... pretty impressive.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Wed, 11 Mar 2020, 03:16

https://www.abc.com.py/nacionales/2020/ ... s-15-dias/

COVID19 messing with South American sports too. The Paraguayan government determined all sports events must be played without fans. This means Olimpia vs Corinthians can only be played with the closed gates.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum