Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Tobar » Wed, 11 Mar 2020, 13:07

victorsra wrote:
Tobar wrote:Overall it’s a pretty decent website, except for that one glaring issue. Would be great if all the teams also had their own website but since it took until just a few weeks ago for most to even have social media I’d imagine we have to wait for that.

Decent? How? A league that doesn't show fixtures, results or table?! It is useless. The worst possible because that's the basic information.


Lol what? I literally said that it was a decent site EXCEPT for that one glaring issue....

Posts: 6588
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Wed, 11 Mar 2020, 14:53

Tobar wrote:
victorsra wrote:
Tobar wrote:Overall it’s a pretty decent website, except for that one glaring issue. Would be great if all the teams also had their own website but since it took until just a few weeks ago for most to even have social media I’d imagine we have to wait for that.

Decent? How? A league that doesn't show fixtures, results or table?! It is useless. The worst possible because that's the basic information.


Lol what? I literally said that it was a decent site EXCEPT for that one glaring issue....

Yes, I understood. What i am saying is I believe it can't be considered decent if it doesn't offer the most basic information - that should be the first reason to have a website.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 49
Joined: Wed, 27 Nov 2019, 13:38

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby TuMachNach » Wed, 11 Mar 2020, 16:10

victorsra wrote:https://www.abc.com.py/nacionales/2020/03/11/resolucion-clarifica-que-esta-restringido-y-permitido-durante-estos-15-dias/

COVID19 messing with South American sports too. The Paraguayan government determined all sports events must be played without fans. This means Olimpia vs Corinthians can only be played with the closed gates.


SLAR communicates that Olimpia Lions vs Corinthians will be played without crowds/fans.

https://twitter.com/SLARugby/status/1237757036336762880

Posts: 6588
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Thu, 12 Mar 2020, 01:40

Corinthians team for the debut:

Image
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 5429
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Canalina » Thu, 12 Mar 2020, 08:54

Nice short toon about the Selk'nam people


User avatar
Posts: 1334
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 12 Mar 2020, 16:30

Argentine football club Racing was told to play the Copa Libertadores match on March 18 with no spectators.

Posts: 54
Joined: Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 14:36
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Salta » Thu, 12 Mar 2020, 16:35

Jaguares v Highlanders with no spectators

Posts: 144
Joined: Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 00:10
National Flag:
ChileChile

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby ficcp » Fri, 13 Mar 2020, 00:43

Canalina wrote:Nice short toon about the Selk'nam people


Nice Contribution, Canalina.
There were some explorers who had strong contacts with the last groups of selk´nam or onas (the way they were called by the spanish speaking pepole), the most important was an italian priest: Alberto de Agostini(1883-1960). He did explore the southern regions of Chile and Argentina, especially the mountain chains (he was native from a town in the Alpes) but his most important contribution was the cultural one : he gathered an invalauable knowledge about the native ethnicities (selk´nam and others) recorded in pictures, movies and books. Most of the knowledge we have today about the SELK´NAM people is thanks to his long and committed work.

Posts: 144
Joined: Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 00:10
National Flag:
ChileChile

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby ficcp » Fri, 13 Mar 2020, 01:00

DE Agostini was one of the few persons who dared to publicly criticize the official tratment to the Selk´nam, in order to protect and to preserve their way of living but he lost that fight.
The main scientific Museum of Punta Arenas was named in his honor as well as the third largest National Park of Chile (14.600 square kms.) located in the region further south to Land of Fire.

User avatar
Posts: 5429
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Canalina » Fri, 13 Mar 2020, 06:59

Thank you for these infos, I didn't know them.
To note that Pinerolo (the town that gave name to Penarol) and Pollone (the native village of De Agostini) are from the same italian region, Piemonte (Piedmont in english). If Greece may be proud to have given name to Olimpia and Corinthians, we may say to are a bit part of the history of Penarol and Selk'nam.
That cartoon is very well made in my opinion; and that final fight in the hut resembles a bit a ruck... but without ball.

User avatar
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri, 19 Feb 2016, 22:49
Location: Córdoba
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby argie » Fri, 13 Mar 2020, 14:56

Image

Image

Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:40
Location: Europe
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Thomas » Fri, 13 Mar 2020, 18:21


Posts: 6588
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Fri, 13 Mar 2020, 18:50

Image
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 144
Joined: Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 00:10
National Flag:
ChileChile

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby ficcp » Fri, 13 Mar 2020, 19:33

Canalina wrote:Thank you for these infos, I didn't know them.
To note that Pinerolo (the town that gave name to Penarol) and Pollone (the native village of De Agostini) are from the same italian region, Piemonte (Piedmont in english). If Greece may be proud to have given name to Olimpia and Corinthians, we may say to are a bit part of the history of Penarol and Selk'nam.
That cartoon is very well made in my opinion; and that final fight in the hut resembles a bit a ruck... but without ball.


De Agostini was a multiple person : geographer, photographer , explorer and writer but also an excellent mountaineer (we call them andinistas) who always climbed mountains with his photographer stuff. He got obssesed with Monte Sarmiento in Isle of Fire during his youth. When he was living there he tried to climb it 2 or 3 times without sucess. After he moved back to Italy , he was succesful with Sarmiento´s summit in his last trip to Patagonia at 72 years old !!!!!!

I guess he would have supported a team named by the ethnicity he got to know so well.

User avatar
Posts: 5429
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Canalina » Fri, 13 Mar 2020, 20:00

The publishing house DeAgostini (founded by his elder brother Giovanni) is still existing. It was for several decades one of the most prestigious Italian ones in the ambit of cultural divulgation, mostly geographical; I had at least one of their geographical atlas when I was a kid. Now I see visiting their website that they have transformed themselves in a multi-sectorial firm, selling also toys, games, magazines and running one or more tv channels. The old publishing house DeAgostini seemed more serious than the current one, but, ok, they have to keep the pace of the times.
Our little article about Alberto De Agostini in our rugby site: https://blog.rugby.it/?p=11091

User avatar
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri, 19 Feb 2016, 22:49
Location: Córdoba
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby argie » Fri, 13 Mar 2020, 20:30

It is not yet suspended for Selknam v Ceibos tomorrow.

SELKNAM LINEUP

1. Iñaki Gurruchaga
2. Tomás Dussaillant
3. Esteban Viale
4. Clemente Saavedra
5. Mario Mayol
6. Nicolás Garafulic
7. Ignacio Silva (c)
8. Bautista Stavile
9. Patricio Baronio
10. Ignacio Albornoz
11. John Ika
12. Latiume Fosita
13. Domingo Saavedra
14. Lucca Avelli
15. Francisco Urroz

SUBSTITUTES
16. Augusto Böhme
17. Vesi Rarawa
18. Matías Dittus
19. Rodrigo Bruno
20. Thomas Orchard
21. Martín Sigren
22. Beltrán Vergara
23. Matías Garafulic


Image

Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Tobar » Fri, 13 Mar 2020, 20:38

victorsra wrote:
Tobar wrote:
victorsra wrote:
Tobar wrote:Overall it’s a pretty decent website, except for that one glaring issue. Would be great if all the teams also had their own website but since it took until just a few weeks ago for most to even have social media I’d imagine we have to wait for that.

Decent? How? A league that doesn't show fixtures, results or table?! It is useless. The worst possible because that's the basic information.


Lol what? I literally said that it was a decent site EXCEPT for that one glaring issue....

Yes, I understood. What i am saying is I believe it can't be considered decent if it doesn't offer the most basic information - that should be the first reason to have a website.


I know it’s silly to engage in a fight over this but that’s basically half the stuff we do on here anyway (myself very much included).

All I’m saying is that the rest of the site looked pretty decent so it’s a shame they are missing this key component.

Posts: 6588
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Fri, 13 Mar 2020, 20:48

Let's see if covid-19 gives them time to improve it :lol:
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 5429
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Canalina » Sat, 14 Mar 2020, 19:59

Selknam v Ceibos


Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 14 Mar 2020, 20:23

There's a big crowd. They have filled one side of the stadium.

Posts: 6588
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Sat, 14 Mar 2020, 21:21

Just to note, Corinthians home debut would be at Santo André, a city in Greater São Paulo. The stadium is this one, Estádio Bruno José Daniel (capacity of around 15k). Let's see how fixtures will change now with COVID-19.

Image

This stadium hosted once the Tupis, a Brazil-Mexico test in 2013.

Although Santo André is in Greater São Paulo, traffic is huge and most people won't like the idea of crossing the metropolitan area...

Santo André's municipality wants to host all 4 Corinthians' home matches, but they couldn't confirm it because the local football club (Esporte Club Santo André) is doing pretty well in the São Paulo Championship and some fixtures can clash.

Anyway, Santo André is the centre of the "ABC" region, the industrial Southeastern zone of Greater São Paulo (named after the 3 cities that compose it: Santo André, São Bernardo and São Caetano). Santo André has one rugby club, ABC Rugby Clube, that plays Paulista B (São Paulo's 2nd division), and one varsity team, UFABC Leprechauns. I hope this means more support from local government to the ABC and UFABC - and not only to the Corinthians/CBRu professional project.

There's another club in the ABC Region, Templários (from São Bernardo, playing Paulista B as well), and two other varsity teams, Mauá (from São Caetano) and FEI (from São Bernardo). Those 3 varsity clubs have 15-a-side teams playig the main varsity competition in São Paulo. This means 5 clubs in the area. There is also another city in the region, Diadema, much poorer (but sometimes the region is called ABCD to include it). Diadema has a rugby club as well, Rhinos, that is focused now on Youth Rugby.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 6588
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Sat, 14 Mar 2020, 22:04

FT - Selknam 16-32 Ceibos

Very good for the Chileans anyway.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 144
Joined: Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 00:10
National Flag:
ChileChile

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby ficcp » Sat, 14 Mar 2020, 22:25

The most important aspect : 4.000 people assisted to the match, more spectators than any of the ARC matches. The stadium looked empty because they were concentrated under the roof. There are positive and negative aspects about the use of this stadium.

Ceibos is clearly the strongest team of the league, in fact it would be Argentina C team. High indfividual quality, they will grow as a tam.

Good attitude of Selk´nam , strong defense but they need to correct discipline : 3 yellow cards offers a big advantage to the opposite team. I hope we will be able to see offensive display against teams weaker than Ceibos.

Posts: 144
Joined: Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 00:10
National Flag:
ChileChile

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby ficcp » Sat, 14 Mar 2020, 22:50

Victor : It is good to know that Rugby is played in ABCD, an area always associated with large factories, warehouses and commercial companies. It looks a good stadium which could incentivate the activity among the local clubs. I hope Corinthians get a high attendance.
I remember Sao Caetano football team which was a succesful oufit wining the Libertadores Cup, some years ago. I understand is not any longer in first division.

Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 14 Mar 2020, 23:38

ficcp wrote:The most important aspect : 4.000 people assisted to the match, more spectators than any of the ARC matches. The stadium looked empty because they were concentrated under the roof. There are positive and negative aspects about the use of this stadium.

Ceibos is clearly the strongest team of the league, in fact it would be Argentina C team. High indfividual quality, they will grow as a tam.

Good attitude of Selk´nam , strong defense but they need to correct discipline : 3 yellow cards offers a big advantage to the opposite team. I hope we will be able to see offensive display against teams weaker than Ceibos.


I thought the stadium was good and the pitch was good. And 4,000 people is a really good size crowd; better than I expected. I really cannot fault the decisions that have been made in Chile in choosing the name, kit and stadium for this new rugby team.

As you say, Ceibos is a really good team. Probably the strongest club team in the Americas after Los Jaguares. I do hope we get to see them play the MLR champions at some point.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], io.porcorosso, toulousain and 6 guests