Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

South American League (LAR)

Re: South American League (LAR)

Postby Raven » Thu, 31 Oct 2019, 05:48

It's taking me forever to figure out how to upload an image which is not on a website. Is there a way for it?

There's a few photos going round that I would like to share, a rugby brand which coincidentially is the new Brazilian Rugby kit manufacturer with names, logos and jersey design of some of the league teams.

So it seems, Peñarol (URU), Nacional (URU), Olimpia (PAR), Corinthians (BRA) and Cobras (BRA) would be the names. Jaguares XV isn't shown on those graphics, but no doubt they'll take part, the Chilean one is a bit more of a mystery.

That been said, I had also heard the rumor that Brazil wanted to go back with one of the franchises and some even mentioned that due to the offers many Uruguayans have had during and after the RWC (not just the MLR) the plan of launching 2 at the same time was going to prove difficult.

Time will tell.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Thu, 31 Oct 2019, 06:18

Raven wrote:It's taking me forever to figure out how to upload an image which is not on a website. Is there a way for it?

There's a few photos going round that I would like to share, a rugby brand which coincidentially is the new Brazilian Rugby kit manufacturer with names, logos and jersey design of some of the league teams.

So it seems, Peñarol (URU), Nacional (URU), Olimpia (PAR), Corinthians (BRA) and Cobras (BRA) would be the names. Jaguares XV isn't shown on those graphics, but no doubt they'll take part, the Chilean one is a bit more of a mystery.

That been said, I had also heard the rumor that Brazil wanted to go back with one of the franchises and some even mentioned that due to the offers many Uruguayans have had during and after the RWC (not just the MLR) the plan of launching 2 at the same time was going to prove difficult.

Time will tell.

You have to upload the pics somewhere and the insert them in the post here. You can upload them on imgur.com, but they'll get theleted from there at some point, so if you want them to stay around indefinetly you could post them on facebook, twitter or instagram.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 31 Oct 2019, 14:49

Raven wrote:It's taking me forever to figure out how to upload an image which is not on a website. Is there a way for it?

Time will tell.

I saw those images and I haven't posted them here or on my website because they are a false clue.

Flash is the manufacturer, it is Argentine. Those images are a project of how would be the uniforms. Corinthians hasn't signed nothing and Cobras won't happen. The former Brazilian Rugby Union CEO made this fake teams just to try to sell the project. Brazil WON'T have 2 teams because money is over. It is a load a misinformation.

BTW, Cobras is a ridiculous name for a Brazilian team and would become a joke around here. Terrible idea.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Thu, 31 Oct 2019, 22:18

Hourcade now says that there will be six teams: Uruguay (2), Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Paraguay.

What names do you like victor for a Sao Paulo franchise?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 01 Nov 2019, 09:54

If it is just one team, Tupis XV, because it is not a SP representative. But I am sure CBRu won't name it Tupis XV. So, the correct is to make a public poll.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 01 Nov 2019, 10:20

If they want a longer competition, the sanest thing to do is an expanded South American Championship, 6 teamsm home and away. If they want to put foreigner players, just transform what would be the national teams in franchises to allow a couple of foreigner and give them a fancy name. But keep the teams as like 75% the proper national teams. It would prepare everybody to ARC and ARCh and that's it. Of course 2 teams is the ideal, but there is no money or market anywhere (apart from Argentina) for 2 franchises (Teros matches are never sell out, come on). Allow players to go to MLR too, helping the development of more players.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 01 Nov 2019, 10:52

Got to try and build a market though.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 01 Nov 2019, 11:27

You don't build market with obscuredly named franchises anounced from day to night. CBRu dwarfed its own events because they turned the back to the market they already have.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Fri, 01 Nov 2019, 13:29

victorsra wrote:If they want a longer competition, the sanest thing to do is an expanded South American Championship, 6 teamsm home and away. If they want to put foreigner players, just transform what would be the national teams in franchises to allow a couple of foreigner and give them a fancy name. But keep the teams as like 75% the proper national teams. It would prepare everybody to ARC and ARCh and that's it. Of course 2 teams is the ideal, but there is no money or market anywhere (apart from Argentina) for 2 franchises (Teros matches are never sell out, come on). Allow players to go to MLR too, helping the development of more players.

If the season lasts from Feb to June then it will go straight into the international test matches in July/August.

Perhaps Uruguay will have some bigger crowds after a successful RWC.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 01 Nov 2019, 16:01

That's pretty much the project. 12 rounds from late february to june.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 01 Nov 2019, 17:07

If we view this as essentially an extended training camp for all the teams where they get to play 10-12 matches against better opponents than they’re used to then this can be seen as a big success. If we can get a decent crowd for each game then even better.

If we strictly look at this as a sustainable pro league after just 1 season then it sounds like we’ll be pretty disappointed. The national teams will certainly improve, especially if the entire team is playing together consistently. Hopefully over time this can be financially successful as well and doesn’t fail after a few seasons.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 02 Nov 2019, 07:35

Yes, pretty much it.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 02 Nov 2019, 08:07

Tobar wrote:If we view this as essentially an extended training camp for all the teams where they get to play 10-12 matches against better opponents than they’re used to then this can be seen as a big success. If we can get a decent crowd for each game then even better.

If we strictly look at this as a sustainable pro league after just 1 season then it sounds like we’ll be pretty disappointed. The national teams will certainly improve, especially if the entire team is playing together consistently. Hopefully over time this can be financially successful as well and doesn’t fail after a few seasons.

To be honest, the best opportunity for most of the teams to be competitive was to go with one franchise from day one. The only nation in terms of providing more than one competitive team with great deal of confidence is Argentina. Ideally, this would have featured x2 Arg and a team from each of Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay and potentially Colombia.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 02 Nov 2019, 15:13

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Tobar wrote:If we view this as essentially an extended training camp for all the teams where they get to play 10-12 matches against better opponents than they’re used to then this can be seen as a big success. If we can get a decent crowd for each game then even better.

To be honest, the best opportunity for most of the teams to be competitive was to go with one franchise from day one. The only nation in terms of providing more than one competitive team with great deal of confidence is Argentina. Ideally, this would have featured x2 Arg and a team from each of Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay and potentially Colombia.

I could see Uruguay working off of 2 clubs in Montevideo, basically splitting their extended Teros squad into 2 sides plus foreign players. But Brazil having 2 clubs was unrealistic.

As much as I want Colombia to have a club so they don’t get left behind, it doesn’t seem viable at this stage. If I’m being perfectly honest, it might make a lot more sense to develop their own domestic competition similar to their soccer league. The Copa Colombia was a great success for its first year so hopefully they can build off of that. Players won’t make a ton of money but if they can have 5 or 6 cities involved with clubs that go pro and have proper seating for fans then it could get more Colombian fans involved. If you look at the Liga Águila, the top 5 teams are from Medellin, Cali, Cali, Bogota and Barranquilla (top 5 largest cities in Colombia). Switch out one of the Cali clubs for Cúcuta then have 2 in Bogota and 2 in Medellin then you can have a league of 7 clubs.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 20:09

The Chilean Union does not have resources to etablish Development centers in the regions which is certainly urgent. The distances between the southern and northern regions and the capital are too big to maintaain only one DC in Santiago.

The only way to fund a professional team during 6 month is to get sponsors, but I am doubtful they will appear due to the social and economic changes we must face as a society. From my point of view is more important to bring opportunities of development to younger players than to finance a professional team which would be composed at least in 50 % by foreign players.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 20:43

victorsra wrote:It all comes from Piñeyrua, right? That's always the same. He still believes Brazil wil field 2 teams and won't.

Victor : I am afraid that Mr, Piñeyrua is extremely optimistic and seems to be urged to start the League NOW!!!! I think is better to establish a well structured league from economic and organisational point of view starting with less than 8 teams in 2020, but with a longer life. A failure in the taking off would be quite harmful for the Professional Rugby in the region.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 00:33

ficcp wrote:
victorsra wrote:It all comes from Piñeyrua, right? That's always the same. He still believes Brazil wil field 2 teams and won't.

Victor : I am afraid that Mr, Piñeyrua is extremely optimistic and seems to be urged to start the League NOW!!!! I think is better to establish a well structured league from economic and organisational point of view starting with less than 8 teams in 2020, but with a longer life. A failure in the taking off would be quite harmful for the Professional Rugby in the region.

Exactly.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 00:37

ficcp wrote:The Chilean Union does not have resources to etablish Development centers in the regions which is certainly urgent. The distances between the southern and northern regions and the capital are too big to maintaain only one DC in Santiago.

The only way to fund a professional team during 6 month is to get sponsors, but I am doubtful they will appear due to the social and economic changes we must face as a society. From my point of view is more important to bring opportunities of development to younger players than to finance a professional team which would be composed at least in 50 % by foreign players.

Also more logical.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 14:08

Uruguayan rugby journalist Ignacio Chans claims there will be 7 teams.

https://www.elobservador.com.uy/nota/la ... 9115162154

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 14:29

He believes Brazil will have 2... nobody in Uruguay seems to know what's happening here because CBRu's former CEO lied to Sudamerica Rugby. They believe we are ready.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 15:14

I apologize to non spanish-portuguese speaking posters for the use of a coloquial expression.

En Latinoamerica solemos "tirarnos los pedos por arriba del hombro", creo que Piñeyrúa es un digno representante de esta mala costumbre y su inadecuado sistema de informaciones está envolviendo el inicio de la Liga en una nube de incertidumbre que podría ser muy dañina.

Summarizing in English : In Latinamerican countries we seldom speak at a higher frequency than the way we can do the things, so we generate expectations which finally are not fulfilled. I am afraid it is the case with Mr. Piñeyrúa and the Professional League.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 15:32

ficcp wrote:I apologize to non spanish-portuguese speaking posters for the use of a coloquial expression.

En Latinoamerica solemos "tirarnos los pedos por arriba del hombro", creo que Piñeyrúa es un digno representante de esta mala costumbre y su inadecuado sistema de informaciones está envolviendo el inicio de la Liga en una nube de incertidumbre que podría ser muy dañina.

Summarizing in English : In Latinamerican countries we seldom speak at a higher frequency than the way we can do the things, so we generate expectations which finally are not fulfilled. I am afraid it is the case with Mr. Piñeyrúa and the Professional League.

Again, bingo.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 20:47

victorsra wrote:He believes Brazil will have 2... nobody in Uruguay seems to know what's happening here because CBRu's former CEO lied to Sudamerica Rugby. They believe we are ready.

They are not that stupid. Hourcade said last week that Brazil will have only one.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 21:21

Not quite that. Hourcade knows now. Piñeyrua hasn't informed Chans, clearly. And they are for months working like if Brazil was progressing while that wasn't true. Or they always knew it wasn't true and were only throwing misinformation around or they were believing in CBRu and realized now the mistake.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 21:51

I agree that the last CEO was full of shit. He was clearly selling smoke. The thing is that in any project there comes a time to show progress in terms of stadia, sponsors, players, etc. Piñeyrúa eventually found out that Brazil couldn’t handle two franchises. Now he must be calling them every day.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum