Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

South American League (LAR)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American League (LAR)

Postby victorsra » Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 18:48

Europe and Latin America are like each other and different from North America in sports cultura.

You must be very succesful to really draw your own football fans to other sport. Barcelona is a great exemple in Europe in many sports. You have Greek, Israeli and Turkish basketball good exemples too. Not sure about Russian clubs, but I guess they draw supports to ice hockey, which probably is not that hard as it is a realy popular sport there. Flamengo's basketball in Brazil maybe, but still the attendance is not that great. In rugby it looks more risky than positive IMO. The only one that look a right thing is in Uruguay.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 19:01

And if you mention FC Barcelona I must say they keep that multisport structure just because of tradition and because it's a way to prove they are 'better' than the rest (than Real Madrid). Crowds are dwindling in basketball, handball...

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 19:57

victorsra wrote:But don't you think a "Yakarés Rugby" or something that sounds like it wouldn't put the bums anyway? Not sure if Olimpia rugby would put more bums than the national team itself.

It could but the franchise concept is still alien in the region. Building brands from scratch is not easy here. Just look at Jaguares.

And remember that the Paraguayan franchise is far from being the national team.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 20:14

Yes. It is perhaps more concerning the possibly souless Brazilian franchises.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Salta » Sat, 02 Feb 2019, 03:18

I think this is circus and bad marketing. Play rugby and stop stupid things like this. We want rugby, think about the game, simple.

Talleres? Ok, Cordobians are funny, but better let Tucumán lead, they don't need the fame of a footbal club.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 03:22

carbonero wrote:Salaries will go from US$ 500 to US$ 3.500 per month.

How good is this in Argentina? In parts of Colombia, $500 is meh but $3500 can be very good.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 05:03

You can live frugally with US$ 1.000. If the goal of LAR is to retain players, you need at least US$ 2.000 to compete with low tier European leagues.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 15:05

In Brazil it depends on the city. São Paulo and Rio are very expensive... With 1.000 dolars you don't save money.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Grayday88 » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 16:21

[quote="carbonero"]La Nacion weighed in on the LAR > https://www.lanacion.com.ar/2216093-la- ... mateurismo

Paraguay, Chile and Córdoba will associate their franchises with football clubs Olimpia, Universidad Católica and Talleres.

I find this fascinating on the one hand I can see the benefits to trying to build up brand awareness but I could appreciate why fans of rival teams would not support a rival. I know that as a Spurs fan I could not bring myself to support anything That would be called Arsenal

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 00:05

victorsra wrote:In Brazil it depends on the city. São Paulo and Rio are very expensive... With 1.000 dolars you don't save money.

I wonder how this would work. Will they directly pay the players or do as Uruguay had planned and use it to compensate employers for time away from work in order to train?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 01:21

CBRu already pays national team players. The question is more about the foreigners.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 18:21

FCR (Colombian Rugby Federation) posted an article on their website called "Changing the Focus" which briefly discusses how they need to focus on the next level of development (professionalism) or risk getting left behind.

http://colombia.rugby/2019/02/11/cambiando-el-enfoque/

It's in Spanish but here's an excerpt translated:

Today we have to decide as Rugby Colombia where we want to be, if we want to take a leap of quality thinking of performing at the level of the A, make our selections more competitive that can become professionals and have a franchise in this new league or continue betting on development and wait a little longer to improve our level progressively.

In the first of the scenarios, the challenge is enormous and will require sacrifices in development, to be able to sustain the performance structure for at least 2 years and be able to cut distances with a job as professional as possible and with this bet, keep us in the zone A. In the second scenario, continue investing the largest amount of our resource for development, but let the performance go, think about reaching it later, with a work that can progressively improve the level little by little.

I am convinced that if we do not enter today, the train will leave and I do not think we can reach it again in many years, so my invitation is that, as a country, we begin to change the focus, from development to a targeted development to the performance and that we understand that the Colombian Rugby Federation will have to sacrifice a little the development, for the performance, it is a risky bet, but that can bring us many benefits to all.

Sebastian Mejia (Colombian captain) also posted on his IG basically asking for investors for this new team. The desire is there, they just need to find the money.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 19:33

If there is no money there is no desire.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 19:48

Colombia is doing everything right. No need to rush. Nothing suggests Brazilian, Chilean and Paraguayan professionalism will be sustainable.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby mcv_T2 » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 20:49

(...) en referencia a las franquicias con las que podría contar nuestro país en el mencionado torneo (...) se tratará el tema en la próxima reunión del Consejo Directivo de la Unión Argentina de Rugby, que se llevará a cabo el 9 de febrero en Neuquen (...) (http://uar.com.ar/2019/01/30/comunicado-de-prensa/)

Guys from Argentina! Does anybody know the conclusions of this meeting?

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 21:34

I would be very interested to find out if this fully takes off and is sustainable.

I must stress that I have only hear rumours for sometime but Mexico also wants to make their top league fully professional.

If South America takes off will others follow???

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 21:36

How many people follow rugby in Mexico?

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 22:28

Hard to know. You get good crowds of several thousand for semis and final. But for regular matches get several dozen. All depends also in who is playing.

A couple of times barely a man and his dog (metaphorically speaking)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 13 Feb 2019, 12:55

It makes more sense for Mexico to have one day a team in MLR. I know nothing about Mexico's rugby geography, but I guess Mexico City is the core and probably a city closer to the US border woudn't be the best option...

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 13 Feb 2019, 14:09

Interesting developments from Columbia. Honestly, if I were the rugby bosses in Columbia, I would continue to develop as is but start talking to the people running LAR now about coming on board in the future. I understand the fear. They don't want to get left behind should professionalism take off in South America, but if I were them I'd wait 2-3 years first to see how this league goes. Wait for it to stabilise and then apply for entry. Distance of course is the biggest hurdle.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Wed, 13 Feb 2019, 15:32

victorsra wrote:It makes more sense for Mexico to have one day a team in MLR. I know nothing about Mexico's rugby geography, but I guess Mexico City is the core and probably a city closer to the US border woudn't be the best option...

The 3 major cities in Mexico for Rugby

Mexico City
Guadalajara
and
Monterrey

They are more well known to the outside public and in terms of investment and infrastructure that would be the logical choices. The National Teams usually bases themselves in the Olympic and sports sites the later ones are managed by CONADE (National Committee for Sport) similar body to the UK and Australia.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 13 Feb 2019, 22:30

thatrugbyguy wrote:Interesting developments from Columbia. Honestly, if I were the rugby bosses in Columbia, I would continue to develop as is but start talking to the people running LAR now about coming on board in the future. I understand the fear. They don't want to get left behind should professionalism take off in South America, but if I were them I'd wait 2-3 years first to see how this league goes. Wait for it to stabilise and then apply for entry. Distance of course is the biggest hurdle.

I agree, Colombia wants to get in ASAP but should wait at least one year for sustainability, in the meantime figure out some sort of HP program and get the guys together who want to play professionally. They are already in discussions with LAR execs and will pull the trigger as soon as the investors are there. Colombia suffers from 2 issues -- lack of talent and distance from the other LAR countries which are primarily in the Southern Cone.

The way I see it, this is sort of like the calls for a Pro14 team in the US. Everyone's really excited and wants a team ASAP thinking it will turn everything around but you need to be patient and focus on long term growth. As we've seen with MLR, after just 1 season the league looks tremendously better and more worth it financially. Whoever invests in a pro rugby team in Colombia has to do it with either a passion of owning sports team or the deep desire to help Colombian rugby because it will be some time until significant returns are made.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 13 Feb 2019, 23:56

Yes. But the first season must be focused on the Southern Cone, as there will be tremendous $ challenges...

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 01:11

Maybe to try to set a league with Mexico instead. Bogotá, Medellín, Cali, Monterrey, Mexico City and Guadalajara for instance.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 22:08

victorsra wrote:Yes. But the first season must be focused on the Southern Cone, as there will be tremendous $ challenges...

I agree but it would be nice to have some Colombians in the league as well, similar to what Uruguay is doing with MLR. Maybe add them to the Paraguay team.

qwerty wrote:Maybe to try to set a league with Mexico instead. Bogotá, Medellín, Cali, Monterrey, Mexico City and Guadalajara for instance.

Any league should be with the rest of South America just like soccer is - AFAIK there is little connection with Mexico in any sports but plenty with South America. That'd be a fine idea if they were doing a proof of concept and sent representative teams to play each other similar to what MLR did the year before it started with Austin, Glendale and I think NOLA. Travel would still be pretty expensive though.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum