Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby TuMachNach » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 03:54

I understand the point of view that many people made about the league name but there's something that should be clear. If the name is in Spanish, people won't think that it is a competition taking part around USA (because their official language is English). I don't get it why someone should think about that. Maybe if the country is used to translate everything from other language to theirs, that could be a possibility of confusion (Till now I haven't seen anyone naming "Liga de Rugby de Mayores" to the MLR, it's just MLR).

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 04:11

Not exactly in Spanish. Super Liga Americana de Rugby is a perfect phrase in Portuguese. In Brazil a person that is not familiar with rugby will read it in Portuguese (not Spanish) and believe it is from USA.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 04:19

TuMachNach wrote:So, is there any way to distinguish when someone refers to a US citizen or a America's continent citizen?

I also think about Copa América, How people in Brazil call it without thinking that this is a US competition? Does it have a different name in Portuguese? I don't know how it works in Brazil that's why I ask.

USA is not called "America" in Brazil. But "Americano" usualy refers to USA.... Of course it also means people from all the continent but it is not the first idea that comes to the majority of people. A bit complicated but that is it. Usualy in sport Pan-Americano is the word used to mean all the Americas. Different from Spanish America, Brazil is a bit isolated historicaly and it is not as common as in Spanish-speaking countries to use a term for people from the whole continent.

In other words, it is not wrong, just misleading for the public and in the end we are talking about marketing, not linguistics...

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 04:28

Armchair Fan wrote:It's not only Spanish-speakers. French high school and university professors would usually correct us if we said "Américains" instead of "États-Uniens". Of course people in the street say it, but from a certain academical level the distinction is welcome. And I would say it's even a sweet and stupid little revenge, reminding the USA of their position in the continent.

Funny, because the French use Americains all the time. :D :D :D

TuMachNach wrote:I understand the point of view that many people made about the league name but there's something that should be clear. If the name is in Spanish, people won't think that it is a competition taking part around USA (because their official language is English). I don't get it why someone should think about that. Maybe if the country is used to translate everything from other language to theirs, that could be a possibility of confusion (Till now I haven't seen anyone naming "Liga de Rugby de Mayores" to the MLR, it's just MLR).

Actually...we don't have an official language, although many people have tried!

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 12:44

Thanks to the Adm/Mod for changing the thead's name to the correct one.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby Pedro1 » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 13:49

It could be marketed as "Superliga de Rugby" in Brasil but then you increase the costs of an already cash strapped league. The whole league is becoming a marketing nightmare for Brasil, 3 famous football clubs playing against 3 "generic" teams with somewhat difficult names to translate. I have no idea how to pronounce the Chilean team's name.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 13:54

How about Porto Alegre then? The football club is multi-sport already. I actually met the football team once at Sao Paulo Airport and they were nice guys :D . I've also been to the city, which is among the nation's 10 largest with a population of 4.5 million - and also the most southern, about 700km from Montevideo.

Which club from Porto Alegre you mean? There are two big clubs: Grêmio and Internacional.

It would be exactly like in Uruguay. They have maybe the hottest rivalry in Brazilian football. If you choose one, be sure the other fans won't appear. Inter is red, Grêmio is blue. Coca-Cola changed their colours inside Grêmio's stadium... this is how their rivalry is.

Porto Alegre is Rio Grande do Sul's capital and indeed this is the second state with more rugby in Brazil.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 14:20

No point in using football club's names if you are just going to have one team from each nation, the tribal rivalry builds support but without anyone to be a rival with it is pointless.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby Pedro1 » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 14:23

Exactly. It only made sense when they had both Peñarol and Nacional in Uruguay. And even so it was a risky gamble.

If this league setup works, the first expansion has to be bringing the local rivals on board, forget expanding participating countries.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 15:16

Speaking of Penarol, Chan’s interviewed one of the execs who is taking on the role as president of Penarol rugby. Like the Ceibos, this aso has $1 million invested between private/URU money.

https://www.elobservador.com.uy/nota/ev ... 9112817510

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Salta » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 16:30

Why do you think there is a damn country called United States of America? Because it's in a fucking continent called America. Can you believe that?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 16:41

???

We are talking about common use of language because it is about MARKETING, not what is right or wrong in the language. Doesn't matter if it is dumb someone not understanding the name. What matters is effective communication.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 17:08

Pedro1 wrote:It could be marketed as "Superliga de Rugby" in Brasil but then you increase the costs of an already cash strapped league. The whole league is becoming a marketing nightmare for Brasil, 3 famous football clubs playing against 3 "generic" teams with somewhat difficult names to translate. I have no idea how to pronounce the Chilean team's name.

Pedro1 : Do not worry about the translation, it is an original name expressed in a native language. Pronunciation in english or spanish is similar (see the site "to Phonetics"). Could it be pronounced "seuquinami" in portuguese?

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Salta » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 17:10

victorsra wrote:We are talking about common use of language because it is about MARKETING, not what is right or wrong in the language. Doesn't matter if it is dumb someone not understanding the name. What matters is effective communication.

You are assuming that the people are stupid. Words exist in an context, if you say: Liga Americana de Rugby in Brazil people will know what you are talking about. If don't they need a little more info, marketing doesn't end in the name, is a name, not a description or a brief.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 17:25

Sorry, trust me, people only use Americano as USA here. It will cause confusion. Very bad choice. Rugby people of course know what it is, but general press, public, will be confused. Would be soooo easy just to find a name good for everybody, thought to spread rugby to new audiences. You in Argentina dont need new audience, but we do. That's the different between something well planned and... Well... This league.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 17:42

Just to make it clear: Portal do Rugby and most Brazilian fans (and maybe even CBRu) will probably call it Superliga. SLAR I don't see catching and nobody will be confortable using "Americana". Is it bad to call it "Superliga"? No. In fact, this is not an issue. But maybe not that good for the brand.

I am just being an ass about this because the future of this league is very important for everybody. I own a website+podcast, for us it is an incredible oportunity. And this will affect a lot club rugby here, in good and bad ways - difficult to predict.

And exactly because of this it annoys be how bad has been all the planning, marketing, communications process of building this league. The bad branding is just a small part of it. In the end, Superliga can be a huge success. But at the moment it is causing a huge amount of doubt and bad anxiety around here. Brazilian rugby is too fragile to deal with things done that way. Chile and Paraguay too.

Postby 4N » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 17:53

sk 88 wrote:No point in using football club's names if you are just going to have one team from each nation, the tribal rivalry builds support but without anyone to be a rival with it is pointless.

Generally the best teams in a competition will develop a rivalry (eg CSKA vs Real Madrid in European basketball), and these clubs already have fanbases familiar with one another from Copa Libertadores.

Penarol’s traditional rival is joining in season 2 anyway...

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 18:04

Salta wrote:Why do you think there is a damn country called United States of America? Because it's in a fucking continent called America. Can you believe that?

Uh...obviously. That's not my point and you know it.

Sudamerica refers to South America in Spanish. Sul America in Portuguese. Amerique de Sud in French (For Guyane Francaise). Zuid-Amerika (for Suriname)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 18:22

Usualy América do Sul in Portuguese. Like French.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 18:30

4N wrote:
sk 88 wrote:No point in using football club's names if you are just going to have one team from each nation, the tribal rivalry builds support but without anyone to be a rival with it is pointless.

Generally the best teams in a competition will develop a rivalry (eg CSKA vs Real Madrid in European basketball), and these clubs already have fanbases familiar with one another from Copa Libertadores.

Penarol’s traditional rival is joining in season 2 anyway...

Both true, but benefit of rivalries is that they matter regardless of the teams being good or near the top. Earlier the thread was talking about college sports in the US and this is rivalry week in CFB which I think makes that point very well. Al of those matches matter even if their is nothing else riding on it.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 18:31

Live streaming coming soon. :thumbup:
https://twitter.com/SLARugby

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby Pedro1 » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 18:46

Brazilian culture is distinct from the rest of Latin America. Victor is not exaggerating when he says "Liga Americana" will be perceived as being from the USA. Not in the press but if you want everyday people talking about it, you should avoid confusion for a niche sport that is still confused as "futebol americano".

If this league busts, like the PRO Rugby did in the USA due to poor planning (also a crap brand), there isn't going to be another attempt in South America anytime soon. I think the concerns are very valid.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: South American League (LAR)

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 19:27

Tobar wrote: Some more info on the Argentina team. Will be backed and owned by an Argentine, former Los Caranchos president. It says he’s a businessman but I believe he made his money from medicine.

He's a medicine businessman. He owns a prepaid medicine service, similar to an American private insurance.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Hernan14 » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 19:38

TheStroBro wrote:
Salta wrote:Why do you think there is a damn country called United States of America? Because it's in a fucking continent called America. Can you believe that?

Uh...obviously. That's not my point and you know it.

Sudamerica refers to South America in Spanish. Sul America in Portuguese. Amerique de Sud in French (For Guyane Francaise). Zuid-Amerika (for Suriname)

But the name's continent is América...so call Americana is perfectly well, because is a Superliga (a femenine word), if was called Campeonato (masculine) will be Americano...When someone asks of which continent I live, I answer that I am from América, not from South América, it is as if a Frenchman called his continent as Western Europe, he can live in that part, but the continent is Europe :thumbup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organizat ... can_States

And for Victor ... what do you call the Copa Libertadores de América in Brazil?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 19:52

Copa Libertadores.

Its not fine in Brazil. The question is not what is right, it is what is used. Once more, it is about marketing, we are talking about selling, not proving to the public the we are all Americans. Obviously we are. But 99% of the times you hear "americano" in Brazil is about USA. Period.

You don't sell a product that the name is misleading for part of your public. Not smart.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum