Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby tryman » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 19:55

This league is starting to sound promising i.e millionaire backers

Are people pleased with the structure, amount of teams and potential reach of this league in South America? Like MLR it will take a few seasons to grow.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 20:07

Do you know why "americano" has a different use? Because Portuguese America was Atlantic-Oriented. Portuguese Empire was a net of seaports spreading all over the Atlantic and Indic and Pacific Oceans. Brazil was build with the back turned to the continent, linked to Africa and in a lesser dregree the Portuguese Asia. Spanish America, in the other hand, was a huge empire from California to Tierra del Fuego (and Philippines, from Mexico!), with regions distant from each other, yes, but with internal connections. You all fought for independence in the same context, with similar answers (republics). That's why in Spanish America there is the clear idea of an American unity and that it is all "America", "Americanos".

Brazilian culture was formed in a diferent way. Even Brazilian independence was basically a breakaway of the Portuguese monarchy during Napoleonic Wars, when Portuguese royal house saved its Empire moving the Emperial capital to Rio. It hasn't felt the way the Spanish monarchy felt to Napoleon. The Brazilian Empire became independent keeping the same Dynasty, to preserve slavery (and therefore the unity was crucial - instead of being broken in many republics). In the daily vocabulary, the idea of "Americano" was never linked to a continental unity and eventualy became attached to the USA (probably because they call themselves just "Americans").

Apart from River Plate wars in the 19th century, it was only in the 20th century that a bigger integration started. Sports were really important for that, BTW.

I obviously think about integration. I usualy write "estadunidense" instead of "americano" for USA, for exemple. But is it smart to use a term in one way while in 99% of the time it is used in other way? Definitly not. And most of all when it is needless. It would be really easy to avoid such mess. It is a matter of trying to understand how the public in each country thinks. It is level 1 market study. And just show Sudamerica Rugby is launching a league without studying the market. The brand is too much important to be chosen careless.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby TuMachNach » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 20:29

argie wrote:Live streaming coming soon. :thumbup:
https://twitter.com/SLARugby

For those who want to watch it. The announcement is supposed to start at 20:00 (UTC-3)... so, maybe the livestream begins just a few minutes before.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 21:13

Hernan14 wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Salta wrote:Why do you think there is a damn country called United States of America? Because it's in a fucking continent called America. Can you believe that?

Uh...obviously. That's not my point and you know it.

Sudamerica refers to South America in Spanish. Sul America in Portuguese. Amerique de Sud in French (For Guyane Francaise). Zuid-Amerika (for Suriname)

But the name's continent is América...so call Americana is perfectly well, because is a Superliga (a femenine word), if was called Campeonato (masculine) will be Americano...When someone asks of which continent I live, I answer that I am from América, not from South América, it is as if a Frenchman called his continent as Western Europe, he can live in that part, but the continent is Europe :thumbup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organizat ... can_States

And for Victor ... what do you call the Copa Libertadores de América in Brazil?

Well, not to add to this odd debate but you’re from South America. America isn’t a continent.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 21:22

Tobar wrote:
Hernan14 wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Salta wrote:Why do you think there is a damn country called United States of America? Because it's in a fucking continent called America. Can you believe that?

Sudamerica refers to South America in Spanish. Sul America in Portuguese. Amerique de Sud in French (For Guyane Francaise). Zuid-Amerika (for Suriname)

But the name's continent is América...so call Americana is perfectly well, because is a Superliga (a femenine word), if was called Campeonato (masculine) will be Americano...When someone asks of which continent I live, I answer that I am from América, not from South América, it is as if a Frenchman called his continent as Western Europe, he can live in that part, but the continent is Europe :thumbup:

Well, not to add to this odd debate but you’re from South America. America isn’t a continent.

Hahaha I think you need to return to school.
America is a continent. South America and North America are sub-continents.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 22:39

Uh, no it’s not. There are 7 continents - North Am, South Am, Europe, Asia, Antarctica, Africa, Australia. Check your facts bud.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Hernan14 » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 22:41

Tobar wrote:
Hernan14 wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

And by that your country is called United States of North America :lol:

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 22:42

América is not a continent for me (and for Conmebol :lol: ). North America is one, South America is another one. They are completely different land masses. The only unity is the history of being colonized by Europe. That's purely cultural definition, not of physical geography. Just like Europe. Europe and Ásia are purely cultural definitions (Eurocentic). The physical continent is Eurasia.

BTW, there are many continents definitions.
Last edited by victorsra on Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 22:45

I am sorry for the off topic.... I know this has nothing to do with the language debate

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Hernan14 » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 22:48

;)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 22:52

BTW, Sudamérica Rugby does an awesome thing uniting Latin America... why they keep their name as Sud and not Latin? :roll:

There is a reason for 2 confederations (North and South) being created in most sports...

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 22:54

Osmanperalta wrote:I am sorry for the off topic.... I know this has nothing to do with the language debate

Logo is okay, video is pretty good - I know it's based off ARC/ARCh footage but it's pretty well edited.

Postby 4N » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 22:54

Schools in Latin America (at least the Spanish-speaking part) do teach that North and South America are one continent. You can see the Club America soccer logo for example shows both. In the US it is taught that they are separate.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 22:59

Yes, only in Spanish America because from California to Argentina it was all the same Empire...

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 23:00

tryman wrote:This league is starting to sound promising i.e millionaire backers

Are people pleased with the structure, amount of teams and potential reach of this league in South America? Like MLR it will take a few seasons to grow.

Yeah. While the amounts aren't huge it's certainly a lot more invested into the structure than say the NRC in Australia. Which has to cover similar distances and runs for a similar length of time.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 23:01

structure? where?

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 23:12

TuMachNach wrote:
argie wrote:Live streaming coming soon. :thumbup:
https://twitter.com/SLARugby

For those who want to watch it. The announcement is supposed to start at 20:00 (UTC-3)... so, maybe the livestream begins just a few minutes before.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Hernan14 » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 23:15

victorsra wrote:Yes, only in Spanish America because from California to Argentina it was all the same Empire...

Because the name América originally called what you call South America, and then it extended to the rest of the continent, if continent, and I'm not going to go millions of years ago in time, for something they chose the name United States of AMERICA, precisely because they were in that continent and in opposition to Europe ... the sons of europeans born here and the original people of this land were called Americanos, not Sudaméricanos, and if you have doubts read something about the languages of the originals inhabitants of these lands, from North to South, and then tell me if both part not were united long before the Spanish Empire ... how was corn grown both in Mexico from where it originated and in Peru 10 thousand years ago ???? Or how Patagonia's original tobacco ended up in Mexico? Or the tomato from América Central spread to both sides? Of course they had no connection until the arrival of the Spanish :thumbup:

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 23:23

Just like Europe, Ásia and África didn't existed in Roman times as definitions, as their unity was the Mediterranean world (Roman Africa was only Tunisia, Roman Asia was Aegean Anatolia = West Turkey... the names of those continents derived from that).... definitions change according to references, if you stick to cultural ones...
Last edited by victorsra on Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 23:25

4N wrote:Schools in Latin America (at least the Spanish-speaking part) do teach that North and South America are one continent. You can see the Club America soccer logo for example shows both. In the US it is taught that they are separate.

French do too. Aged 7 my parents and teacher fought over this. I had to list 6 continents in my homework and put North and South America separate while ignoring Antarctica.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 23:27

victorsra wrote:structure? where?

Mate, I get it. You're not a fan. But even with 5 team playing home and away plus finals that's pretty obvious.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 23:28

There are 5, 6 and 7 continents models (if you don't ignore Antarctica!).

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 23:29

Working Class Rugger wrote:
victorsra wrote:structure? where?

Mate, I get it. You're not a fan. But even with 5 team playing home and away plus finals that's pretty obvious.

it's not a matter of being a fan. There is zero done in Brazil and it looks like in Chile too... i don't know how you believe there is investment in structure

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 23:58

Let's move to the next conflict... THE HOST OF THE LAUNCH EVENT SAID RUGBY IN SPAIN SPANISH INSTEAD OF LATIN AMERICAN SPANISH!

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 30 Nov 2019, 00:02

mistery solved, Eduardo Mufarej made the Corinthians deal happen in the last week... let's wait to understand how is this deal. As of yesterday they haven't signed anything...

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum