Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Tue, 31 Dec 2019, 13:29

As far a Corinthians Rugby, I'm afraid they are running out of time. It's shocking to find out that they have absolutely nothing in place

I've been saying this for months. Americas Rugby News contacted Portal do Rugby and we shared what we know.

But Tupis squad is a professional squad with contracts with CBRu. If Corinthians is out, what will happen is simple: the Tupis (with a random name) will play. That's basically the same thing, but with all costs in the back of CBRu, that is struggling. They would borrow money from people from the CBRu Council and get one further year to find a new model. It's highly unlikely Brazil will be out because this league is a dear project for people in CBRu's Council. However, I do believe Corinthians will be in the league, just putting almost no money, only offering the brand.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Postby Raven » Tue, 31 Dec 2019, 16:33

Word of mouth is that some Argies have been in talks to play for the franchise, and AFAIK they are already in plans to move to Brazil, I´d find it awkward (to say the least) if they are left stranded...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 31 Dec 2019, 17:08

I've heard "Argentine" and "Portuguese" players + PIs payed by WR. They definitly weren't about to move to Brazil because the franchise's legal entity and budget don't exist yet...

I think the Argies were a possibility while Ambrosio was the coach. He left. Things changed in the staff's intentions about foreign players.

But if there's time enough for that a couple of Argies could indeed appear here.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Tue, 31 Dec 2019, 20:17

TheStroBro wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:The league can still go ahead with four teams. Three home games, three away games, a semi final and a final. That's the same number of games per team as the Currie Cup this year.

It's more likely this league won't happen than Corinthians are out. If it happens, Corinthians will be in.

A few months ago I would’ve agreed with you. But considering the amount of financial support and activity from 3 teams, I would find it very hard to believe that this league does not start this season, even just with those 3 teams.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 18:07

Yeah, it won't be canceled. Brazil and Chile have the teams to play. That's not the problem.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby Pichulonko » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 21:03

I disagree entirely. Brazil does not have the depth to put together a competitive 40 man roster. Their youth divisions have not progressed at all during the last WC cycle an don't seem to be getting any better. With this said there's too much at stake to miss out on the opening season but don't be fooled it can happen. As for myself I won't be sold on a Brazilian franchise for 2020 until I see Josh Reeves officially signing on the dotted line.

Moreover, word out of Feruchi is that they have a number of players signed to Selknam and will make a big announcement about it next week.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 21:22

Of course we have now. The Tupis have a professional squad since 2016 and currently with more than 30 players (SLAR squads will probably be around 35 players, not 40).

Bergo, Reeves and all Tupis have contracts with CBRu. If they decide to not go ahead with Corinthians and be the owners and operators of the franchise it is settled. But is is dangerous. CBRu is struggling with money and in debt - debt that is being payed by the Council guys. But they obviously want someone else to pay salaries players. The problem is this. They can launch now, the problem is this model is not sustainable for much more years.

Our lack of junior players affects our near future, not our present.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 23:04

Patricio Baronio and Rodrigo Bruno linked with Selknam > https://www.instagram.com/p/B6jpSkOAaNh ... 8z4zn8ol08

Bruno has one cap against France back in 2012. Played last season in Lazio. Do not confuse him with Rodrigo Bruni who is part of Jaguares. I talked about Baronio in a previous post.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 02:19

Pichulonko wrote:I disagree entirely. Brazil does not have the depth to put together a competitive 40 man roster. Their youth divisions have not progressed at all during the last WC cycle an don't seem to be getting any better. With this said there's too much at stake to miss out on the opening season but don't be fooled it can happen. As for myself I won't be sold on a Brazilian franchise for 2020 until I see Josh Reeves officially signing on the dotted line.

Moreover, word out of Feruchi is that they have a number of players signed to Selknam and will make a big announcement about it next week.

No one said they have to be competitive. If they can’t get backing this year then the hope is that they get one next year.

But if they can just put together the Brazilian National team then I don’t see how it wouldn’t be “competitive.” They don’t have to win in the first year for it to make sense.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 12:06

Nicolás Proto to Olimpia Lions:
https://www.revista22.es/2020/01/la-sup ... das-rubgy/

Alcobendas is visibly upset (they are extremely close to Revista 22) and the article claims other players from VRAC, Independiente or Barça have been offered spots in SLAR. They claim people opposed to FER is working these deals.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Salta » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 13:39

Armchair Fan wrote:Nicolás Proto to Olimpia Lions:
https://www.revista22.es/2020/01/la-sup ... das-rubgy/

Alcobendas is visibly upset (they are extremely close to Revista 22) and the article claims other players from VRAC, Independiente or Barça have been offered spots in SLAR. They claim people opposed to FER is working these deals.

Can't be serious. They can buy players but nobody can make a better offer?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 14:11

I just summed up the article. I find some of the crying from my countrymen more and more tiring, if we want players available just offer them proper conditions (both clubs and FER).

But it's true that I can't find serious that a player leaves a league mid-season, whatever the player and league we're talking about. Maybe it's time to change the profile of signings and offering local players even better projects.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby Pichulonko » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 15:23

Just as it was anticipated days ago, Selknam has officially signed a total of 35 players to their SLAR roster for 2020, which is made up of twenty five Chileans with professional contracts, two Fijians and two Tongans sponsored by World Rugby and lastly six Argentinians, five of them being former Pumitas.

https://www.rugbychile.cl/2020/01/03/35 ... s-selknam/

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 05 Jan 2020, 15:20

Peñarol signed 2 RWC Tongans

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2020/0 ... 9-tongans/

One of them (Pakalani) played for Waratahs and Leicester. Great signings.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 05 Jan 2020, 16:32

And Selknam will announce their roster soon. Apparently they’ve got a full 35 with 6 Argentine players, including former Puma Rodrigo Bruno.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2020/0 ... igo-bruno/

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 06 Jan 2020, 01:55

Opinion piece by Lisandro Olearo about how professionalism is here to stay (and it isn’t the demon people make it out to be) and obviously discusses SLAR. I just read this from the title, haven’t read the full article yet.

https://www.elciudadanoweb.com/vuelve-l ... -otra-vez/

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby Pichulonko » Mon, 06 Jan 2020, 06:54

Some more bad news for Corinthians: Wilton Rebolo just signed for Austin.

It now seems very clear to me that Corinthians will be a no-go this 2020. Whatever the CBR manages to put together will be a lot more different than what we have been led to believe.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 06 Jan 2020, 13:29

CBRu knows he is going to Austin since november. He is the only one that decided to go. There's no surprises. The team will be the Tupis with a couple of PIs.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 06 Jan 2020, 16:57

Pichulonko wrote:Some more bad news for Corinthians: Wilton Rebolo just signed for Austin.

It now seems very clear to me that Corinthians will be a no-go this 2020. Whatever the CBR manages to put together will be a lot more different than what we have been led to believe.

How is it bad news, he was trying to go last season.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby Pichulonko » Mon, 06 Jan 2020, 19:31

Definitely good news for Rebolo who gets to jump ship yet terrible news for Corinthians.

To prove my point this week‘s Up and Under from ARN:

UNDER

Brazil
2019 was not a good year for Brazil and it sees 2020 beginning in complete damage control mode. The CBRu is in dire straits with massive overspending on the elite players having taken its toll. While Os Tupis came a long way during the RWC 2015-2019 cycle, it leaves the union in poor financial state, and no resources to show for the investment. Brazil’s home games continue to not attract paying supporters and the domestic clubs lack a well-structured league system. Moreover, Paraguay may have been overtaken by Brazil, but Paraguay remain notably superior at junior levels and Paraguay, unlike Brazil, has a national rugby stadium.

Corinthians Rugby
There is now a streak in ‘Under’ as Corinthians are named in the section yet again. The reasons are unchanged – the professional team is yet to get off the ground, no players are known, and the team name is hated for it not being neutral for Brazilians. There are administrative problems, budget problems, and public relations problems. This is a nightmare scenario for a professional team launch.

Lets not forget that season begins less than two months away with the CBRu having nothing in place thus far.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Mon, 06 Jan 2020, 19:53

Victor is the source of most Brazilian news in ARN. They just translate his stuff from Portal do Rugby. If he says the team is going ahead, you better believe him.

P.S.: I couldn’t understand the sudden criticism from ARN. Then I looked at the last comment in the site. Tait is a gullible son of a gun.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 07 Jan 2020, 01:24

I had a chat with him about what we know from multiple sources involved in the project. He was concerned about the lack of official information.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 07 Jan 2020, 03:28

Interview with Uruguay’s forwards coach who will also be with Peñarol. Don’t think most of the interview has info on SLAR but still sharing here.

https://twitter.com/ugeastesiano/status ... 43744?s=21

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 08 Jan 2020, 20:03

Paraguay building a new stadium (called Estadio Heroes de Curupayty). It says it’s only one of 2 in South America to be built so I assume it’s a new turf.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 08 Jan 2020, 21:15

They've already built. It's being used for a couple of years :lol: they hosted South American Championship, South American Women's 7s, South American U18s last year...

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum