Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Wed, 19 Feb 2020, 03:36

Between Thursday and Tuesday Corinthians had anounced 32 players.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 19 Feb 2020, 20:46

BTW, Corinthians has two pairs of twin brothers: Felipe Sancery and Daniel Sancery, Gabriel Quirino and Vincent Quirino. Is there any other case of two pairs of twins in pro rugby in the same team? And both coming from the same club, São José.

(well, a "pair" of twins sound wrong, as twins must be 2... but whatever, you all understood)

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Salta » Wed, 19 Feb 2020, 23:07

Is that a mengele thing?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 19 Feb 2020, 23:31

:?:

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 20 Feb 2020, 07:55

Salta wrote:Is that a mengele thing?

There are rumours that Nazi doctor Josef Mengele, who escaped his trial and died in 1979, had some experiments with twins in Brazil as the place where he lived has unusual many of them. But since he died in 1979, no active national rugby 7s player was alive when he died.

Just an anecdote, but the number of twins in my club is also unusual high. Maybe they enjoy physical sports a bit more than single delivery kids. Also the number of twins is rising massively (in Germany it has more than doubled in the last 30 years) as more hormons as parents tend to get older. If we have a look at the background of most rugby players being from middle-to-upper-class, their parents might also be older in average.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 20 Feb 2020, 13:57

I know Mengele, but couldn't find the connection for the joke.

Anyway, São José is a club with players that aren't upper class, as their junior teams draw players from middle-to-poor-areas from São José dos Campos. But this is just a funny coincidence, as the Sancerys came from French rugby.

BTW, São José had also a couple of opposite-sex twins in both Brazilian U20s national teams, but they haven't made it to the senior national teams. The boy got seriously injured in the shoulder and started a referee career. He is Cauã Ricardo, the young Brazilian that will referee in the World Rugby Challenger Series next weekend. His sister still plays for São José Rugby Clube. Fun fact :D

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 00:02

Ceibos' squad for the first warm up match against Los Pumitas U-20 tomorrow Friday 21th, 17:30 hs, at the Jockey Club Córdoba field.
Live streaming on Youtube.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 02:28

The coming SLAR warm-ups.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 10:58

victorsra wrote:BTW, Corinthians has two pairs of twin brothers: Felipe Sancery and Daniel Sancery, Gabriel Quirino and Vincent Quirino. Is there any other case of two pairs of twins in pro rugby in the same team? And both coming from the same club, São José.

(well, a "pair" of twins sound wrong, as twins must be 2... but whatever, you all understood)

I have a vague recollection of the All Blacks having two sets of twins in a team, but I think it was in the amateur era, sometime in the 60's. Don't quote me on that, lol.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 19:43

argie wrote:Ceibos' squad for the first warm up match against Los Pumitas U-20 tomorrow Friday 21th, 17:30 hs, at the Jockey Club Córdoba field.
Live streaming on Youtube.

Is it wise to have a u20 team play against the Ceibos? Yes, these guys are pretty developed for 18/19 year olds so it’s not like they’re children but they still haven’t full matured and playing against fully grown adults.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 20:01

The two sides are preparing for the next tournaments. One for SLAR which begins on Friday, March 6, and the other for the WR U20 Championsship to take place in Italy fron June 28 to July 18.
The warm-up match will be in three times of 30 minutes each one. The idea is that all players have the possibility to play and be evaluated in the game. They are training here in Córdoba since last sunday as a first camp of the year, and this game mark the end of it.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 20:14

Here the link to see the live stream right now. The game begins at 17:30 hs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjMwm-9ClCw

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 20:51

thatrugbyguy wrote:I have a vague recollection of the All Blacks having two sets of twins in a team, but I think it was in the amateur era, sometime in the 60's. Don't quote me on that, lol.

Pretty sure the Whettons are the only twins to have played for NZ. You might be thinking of the Meads and Clarke bros, who all appeared together against France in the early 60s, though none were twins. Stan Meads was as good as his legendary brother, they say, but retired early due to pressure from the Mrs. (or so the rumor goes). Don and Ian Clarke once appeared with 3 more of their bros for the Waikato province vs Thames Valley. Ian eventually became president of the NZRFU. I met him once briefly :D

The Lanza twins played for Argentina in the 80s. I seem to recall they were both on the wings against NZ in 85 and one had the misfortune to be marking a rampant John Kirwan, who charged across for 4 tries. Nonetheless, Los Pumas forced a draw in the 2nd test, thanks to Hugo Porta's boot, and very nearly won when hulking backrower Ernesto Ure went close in the dying minutes. That remains Argentina's best result against the All Blacks to date. Los Lanzas also played at the inaugural World Cup.

Meanwhile, feeling generous? These guys could use some help :thumbup:

& although Belize joined Mexico in RAN, all the action on their 2020 Calendar appears to be against fellow Central Americans aligned with South America, so I'll squeeze that in here as well :twisted:

Brazil & Peru league test tomorrow - in Britain, of course :lol: https://www.liverpoolchampion.com.au/st ... f-nations/

Here the link to see the live stream right now. The game begins at 17:30 hs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjMwm-9ClCw
[/quote]

Gracias. Ceibos with the early 12-0 lead. :thumbup: 8-)

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 20:59

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 21:08

29-12 for Ceibos at the end of the first Half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jyw1R4_MHw

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 21:41

Brazil & Peru league test tomorrow - in Britain, of course :lol: https://www.liverpoolchampion.com.au/st ... f-nations/

Not in Britain. It is Liverpool in Australia. Sydney suburb.

That is the "Braussies", the Brazilian Aussie team. Not the real national team (we do have one now :lol: there are about 5 RL-only clubs in Brazil now). Anyway, there are 2 former Tupis in the Braussies squad: Mark Jackson (Australian that qualified to play for Brazil for residency... he played in the 15s national team, while playing for Desterro Rugby Clube) and Matt Gardner (English rugby league professional player with Brazilian mother, only played 7s for Brazil... his brother is pretty famous in English RL, Ade Gardner). They also invited David Harvey (remember him?), but declined. Two Brazilian players (that are playing RL in Brazilian clubs) travelled to join them too.

I wouldn't be surprised if RL grows in Brazil in areas where the Brazilian Rugby Union left unaffiliated.

Postby 4N » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 21:59

victorsra wrote:

Hey it’s easy to confuse the two, especially with a .com.au domain. :lol:

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 22:14

victorsra wrote:

As with pretty much every one of these emerging nation games they are nearly always based out of Sydney.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby Pichulonko » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 22:50

I reckon Ceibos are going to run away with the SLAR championship on its first year. They are head and shoulders above the rest no doubt.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 23:04

Pichulonko wrote:I reckon Ceibos are going to run away with the SLAR championship on its first year. They are head and shoulders above the rest no doubt.

I expect you are right. There could be some very uneven scorelines.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 23:05

Tobar wrote: Is it wise to have a u20 team play against the Ceibos? Yes, these guys are pretty developed for 18/19 year olds so it’s not like they’re children but they still haven’t full matured and playing against fully grown adults.

FT: Ceibos 99 - 17 Pumitas

I don’t see a problem. It shows them what it takes to make it in the game. The issue in these type of scrimmages is the set piece. Ceibos stole everything and that devalues the test.

Ceibos played in their new kit:

Postby 4N » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 23:36

Pichulonko wrote:I reckon Ceibos are going to run away with the SLAR championship on its first year. They are head and shoulders above the rest no doubt.

Probably favorites to win it but Peñarol won’t be pushovers.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 22 Feb 2020, 00:00

4N wrote:

Probably favorites to win it but Peñarol won’t be pushovers.

It's certainly a solid expectation for the Ceibos to walk the tournament considering they are the sole Argentine franchise with Argentina being the undisputed powerhouse of Rugby in the Americas period. But, greater exposure to HP training and playing opportunities can have interesting results for players and while unlikely it's possible there could be some surprises in store. Well, I hope there are some surprises in store as that would make the season a little more compelling. My expectation is for Ceibos to win it. Likely undefeated. But I would welcome close scorecards in their games. Most certainly a loss wouldn't hurt anyone and would definitely help the league.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Sat, 22 Feb 2020, 03:49

Hmmm. Is there anyone in South America that could possibly collect a couple of kits together then ship them to me? I'll fully reimburse then a bit on top. Unfortunately shipping each kit individually is a bit cost prohibitive.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Sat, 22 Feb 2020, 18:33

Blurandski wrote:Hmmm. Is there anyone in South America that could possibly collect a couple of kits together then ship them to me? I'll fully reimburse then a bit on top. Unfortunately shipping each kit individually is a bit cost prohibitive.

I’d imagine it’d be just as expensive to ship jerseys from South America regardless. If you can get the jerseys to Colombia I can ship them from NYC....in June.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum