Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby carbonero » Wed, 26 Feb 2020, 22:15

Can MLR players live through the whole year with the money they earned during the first six months? Do they need to supplement those earnings with another side job?

Unread postby TuMachNach » Wed, 26 Feb 2020, 22:43

Here's the link to the livestream of Peñarol vs, Corinthians.

https://youtu.be/wnYaOUT_ubw

It's the YouTube channel of SLAR.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 26 Feb 2020, 22:48

Looks like a pretty decent size crowd for a new team warm up game. Very encouraging.

Unread postby 4N » Wed, 26 Feb 2020, 23:40

28-0 Peñarol. They are really punishing Corinthians’ scrum.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Unread postby Pichulonko » Wed, 26 Feb 2020, 23:56

Looks like it's going to be a long season for Corinthians.

Unread postby 4N » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 00:07

Storti went off for Peñarol with a shoulder injury.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Unread postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 00:12

Pichulonko wrote:Looks like it's going to be a long season for Corinthians.

And they score and convert. Penarol 28 - Corinthians 7.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 00:19

35 - 14 this game isn't over.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 00:35

Penarol is now my favourite South American rugby club team. The yellow and black chevrons kit actually looks really good. They have some great star internationals like Namibian hooker Nortje and Portugal winger Sorti. And they already have loads of supporters.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Unread postby Tobar » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 00:40

carbonero wrote:Can MLR players live through the whole year with the money they earned during the first six months? Do they need to supplement those earnings with another side job?

At the current wages, no. But this is a brand new league what do you expect? Even if they got paid for 9-12 months out of the year many of them would have to have a side job. I don’t understand the relevance of this comment.

Unread postby 4N » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 00:44

45-14 FT

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 00:46

4N wrote:45-14 FT

The last try was excellent. What a wonderful start to SLAR. I must go to bed. 00:45hrs in UK.

Unread postby 4N » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 00:53

Yep it was a positive start for sure. Nice crowd for a Wednesday night and good intensity for a trial.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 01:09

Tobar wrote:
victorsra wrote:
carbonero wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:Well, if the South African teams join a European league, and Australia, New Zealand and Japan form an Asia Pacific league, then Jaguares won't be in a league and the only Argentinian team playing in a professional league will be Ceibos.

Also, professionalism is overrated. Italy, Spain, Romania or Russia have some sort of semi-professional setup. Do they develop Tier 1 level talent consistently? Is SLAR going to do better than them?

Blatant truth.

Most of those countries don’t have true professionalism and Italy only has 2 teams.

In Spain, Romania and Russia you have 2 or 3 “professional” clubs and then a bunch of amateurs. They are not professional leagues, just leagues with professional teams.

SLAR is not supposed to follow that path. The purpose is to establish itself as a professional league with professional clubs. One Argentine franchise surely isn’t enough but if they had 3 or 4 fully professional clubs then that would make a huge difference.

Russia has 10 professional clubs and Romania has 7.
But I agree that Argentina can have more professional teams than their current 2. I think they could have about 3 teams in SLAR, plus Jaguares in Super Rugby. Also, Olimpia is basically a team of Argentinians based in Paraguay. This would mean a 7 team league (1 Uruguay, 1 Brazil, 1 Chile, 4 Argentina/Paraguay). In my opinion 7 is a great number of teams for a professional league (same as the Currie Cup) and 6 is probably the minimum (as per GRR and Scottish Super Six).
From watching Peñarol this evening I am very hopeful for SLAR. The quality was high, the style was very entertaining and there was a surprisingly large crowd.
Last edited by Chester-Donnelly on Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Unread postby carbonero » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 01:14

Tobar wrote:
carbonero wrote:Can MLR players live through the whole year with the money they earned during the first six months? Do they need to supplement those earnings with another side job?

At the current wages, no. But this is a brand new league what do you expect? Even if they got paid for 9-12 months out of the year many of them would have to have a side job. I don’t understand the relevance of this comment.

You described SLAR as "true professionalism” compared to Italy, Romania and Russia. For example, the Italian Top 12 can pay better salaries throughout at least 10 months. That to me seems more professional than this current version of MLR or SLAR where as you pointed some players cannot make ends meet.

And Italy has shown that that having a pro league can be inconsequential to the development of the sport.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 02:20

Professionalism and junior rugby are part of the same equation.

Professionalism without good junior rugby (Romania, Russia) and good junior rugby without professionalism (Portugal) leads to nowhere. You must have both (or have a replacement for the equation, like USA with varsity rugby and american football).
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Unread postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 02:33

4N wrote:Yep it was a positive start for sure. Nice crowd for a Wednesday night and good intensity for a trial.

I enjoyed what I saw. The standard of play was fairly good. Especially for a trial. Nice crowd in attendance. Probably 2,000 or so. Which as you mention for a mid-week tiral is very good.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Unread postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 02:37

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
Tobar wrote:
victorsra wrote:
carbonero wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:Well, if the South African teams join a European league, and Australia, New Zealand and Japan form an Asia Pacific league, then Jaguares won't be in a league and the only Argentinian team playing in a professional league will be Ceibos.

Also, professionalism is overrated. Italy, Spain, Romania or Russia have some sort of semi-professional setup. Do they develop Tier 1 level talent consistently? Is SLAR going to do better than them?

Blatant truth.

Most of those countries don’t have true professionalism and Italy only has 2 teams.

In Spain, Romania and Russia you have 2 or 3 “professional” clubs and then a bunch of amateurs. They are not professional leagues, just leagues with professional teams.

SLAR is not supposed to follow that path. The purpose is to establish itself as a professional league with professional clubs. One Argentine franchise surely isn’t enough but if they had 3 or 4 fully professional clubs then that would make a huge difference.

Russia has 10 professional clubs and Romania has 7.
But I agree that Argentina can have more professional teams than their current 2. I think they could have about 3 teams in SLAR, plus Jaguares in Super Rugby. Also, Olimpia is basically a team of Argentinians based in Paraguay. This would mean a 7 team league (1 Uruguay, 1 Brazil, 1 Chile, 4 Argentina/Paraguay). In my opinion 7 is a great number of teams for a professional league (same as the Currie Cup) and 6 is probably the minimum (as per GRR and Scottish Super Six).
From watching Peñarol this evening I am very hopeful for SLAR. The quality was high, the style was very entertaining and there was a surprisingly large crowd.

The aim for next season would be to get a 2nd Argentine and Uruguayan franchises up. And if possible get the Cafeteros more games. Look to get 8 teams playing at a solid level ensuring the league is competitive and build from there. Early signs are reasonably good.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Unread postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 02:54

First 3 or 4 years ago going to be crucial for this league. There are going to be ups and downs of course but as long as the right lessons are being learned then hopefully it's a long term success. The stronger both SLAR and MLR become, the better it will be for rugby in the Americas as a whole moving forward, hopefully attracting not only players from the nations involved, but other players throughout the Americas.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 03:37

thatrugbyguy wrote:First 3 or 4 years ago going to be crucial for this league. There are going to be ups and downs of course but as long as the right lessons are being learned then hopefully it's a long term success. The stronger both SLAR and MLR become, the better it will be for rugby in the Americas as a whole moving forward, hopefully attracting not only players from the nations involved, but other players throughout the Americas.

You make a very good point. Once this league is established, with Cafeteros of Colombia included, and SLAR, MLAR and ARC being broadcast across the Americas, inspired young rugby players from Latin America and the Carribbean should have the opportunity to play professional rugby. I can imagine Mexicans playing for the Texan teams, Venezuelans playing for Cafeteros, Bolivians playing for Olimpia. Maybe there could one day be a West Indies team based in Cayman Islands.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Unread postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 08:37

West Indies team would be great, maybe in SLAR one day based in Trinidad. We're never going to have a situation like in soccer where there are numerous leagues throughout the region, so it's going to be important for both SLAR and MLR to succeed long term. MLR will probably expand to 16 teams with the next couple of years which will provide further opportunities to Caribbean and Central Americans. Hopefully SLAR can eventually get to 10 or so, but what's most important is overcoming the challenges for the next couple of years. I'd rather they stay with the 6 teams they have now for the next 3 or 4 years before trying to do any type of expansion.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Unread postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 11:12

thatrugbyguy wrote:West Indies team would be great, maybe in SLAR one day based in Trinidad. We're never going to have a situation like in soccer where there are numerous leagues throughout the region, so it's going to be important for both SLAR and MLR to succeed long term. MLR will probably expand to 16 teams with the next couple of years which will provide further opportunities to Caribbean and Central Americans. Hopefully SLAR can eventually get to 10 or so, but what's most important is overcoming the challenges for the next couple of years. I'd rather they stay with the 6 teams they have now for the next 3 or 4 years before trying to do any type of expansion.

Where does the fascination of Commonwealth people for the West Indies in sport come from? Cricket? When the Commonwealth was nothing more than a pirate nation? A love for tax havens?
Those are nations, where, from a global expansion strategy point, it doesn't even matter if they play rugby or not. Well apart from giving British citizens spots in more national teams. I'll take any other nation in South America (apart from the Guyanas) over a combined team from the West Indies.
Why is this adorable love for smaller Commonwealth parts never applied for any other nations?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Unread postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 12:01

I’m not quite sure what prompted that respond. I was merely talking about the two leagues giving players through the Americas the opportunity to play in a professional environment. The Caribbean is part of that area.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Unread postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 12:08

thatrugbyguy wrote:I’m not quite sure what prompted that respond. I was merely talking about the two leagues giving players through the Americas the opportunity to play in a professional environment. The Caribbean is part of that area.

Thinking that the West Indies could be formed in rugby is a pipe dream.

But apart from that and a bit of sarcasm aside, it was a sincere question. Over the years I've came to realize, that a big majority of rugby people love the small stories, about Commonwealth expats playing here or there and fantasizing how they could step on the global game. But whenever a nation seems to establish real roots in a country and even has mostly locals playing it, it is all crickets or even worse people are degrading them that they are not good enough.
Why is that so? Part of the conception of rugby as a way to form relations over the sport itself?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 12:26

RugbyLiebe wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:I’m not quite sure what prompted that respond. I was merely talking about the two leagues giving players through the Americas the opportunity to play in a professional environment. The Caribbean is part of that area.

Thinking that the West Indies could be formed in rugby is a pipe dream.

But apart from that and a bit of sarcasm aside, it was a sincere question. Over the years I've came to realize, that a big majority of rugby people love the small stories, about Commonwealth expats playing here or there and fantasizing how they could step on the global game. But whenever a nation seems to establish real roots in a country and even has mostly locals playing it, it is all crickets or even worse people are degrading them that they are not good enough.
Why is that so? Part of the conception of rugby as a way to form relations over the sport itself?

It is not at all fanciful that Cayman Islands could have a professional rugby team. Jersey, a British tax haven island has a professional rugby team. Hong Kong's professional rugby team is basically an expat club. I can see absolutely no reason why Cayman Islands could not decide to form a professional rugby team, employing the best rugby players from the West Indies. And I don't know why you would be against it.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum