Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Greece

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Greece

Postby victorsra » Mon, 28 Jan 2019, 14:21

The local federation looks to be back with a new administration: http://www.paradimotika.gr/2019/01/blog ... 1WhZukYz6k

The Facebook is back too https://www.facebook.com/hellasrugby/

So, what they need to do now to go back as a Rugby Europe member?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Re: Greece

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Mon, 28 Jan 2019, 14:37

BB = bribe board

Postby Raven » Mon, 06 May 2019, 10:59

So are there any plans of them wanting to Join the Ranks of Rugby Europe again? (or any other non-participant nation for that matter?)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 10 Nov 2019, 15:01

Greece is in the Rugby League World Cup 2021: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/10/mod ... ng-serbia/

Probably most of the players are Aussies, but there as some domestic players in the squad (don't know how many, but the report shows there are). What this could mean for local Rugby Union? Maybe players switching codes because of possible future better conditions for League (while local Union isn't even in Rugby Europe tournaments)?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sun, 10 Nov 2019, 15:24

Funny stuff. They will have a nation at their WC that has about 50 people that play the game there. And then they wonder why their game isn't bigger.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 10 Nov 2019, 15:40

it looks like there are already more League clubs than Union there. But both are obviously tiny.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Edgar » Sun, 10 Nov 2019, 16:45

It seems there has been something of a mini-rebellion against rugby union in this corner of Europe, with a number of countries, including Greece and Turkey, running into strife with administration, both internally and externally. The upshot has been the formation of a Balkans League of rugby league, which I've mentioned before. Last season it included clubs from as far afield as Italy and Turkey, while centered on the states which made up the former Yugoslavia, of course. The countries involved have also started playing international friendlies against each other. A couple of months ago I tuned into the live stream of Greece's 38-24 win over Turkey in Edirne. It was like watching a bunch of kids running around in an empty park with nobody in the stands. I doubt there was a single player who'd grown up playing either league or union, though most - if not all - would have come from a union background. Probably more than a few are actually playing both codes, in fact! But there is no schools or age-grade union or league in Turkey, and I'd guess the same applies to Greece and the rest of the region. & the reason such small numbers of players are making the trip Down Under to represent their national teams ;) is they are required to pay their own way, for the most part. I'm not sure what the idea is behind an Emerging World Cup of mostly Australian players. It's not getting any publicity here, and I'm pretty sure it's not getting any publicity anywhere else either. I suspect it's merely a gimmick to fool Aussie league fans themselves that theirs really is an international game - just like union. :lol: Meanwhile, I do think there is a growing awareness of rugby in Turkey. When I first came here 14 years ago most seemed to have no idea what the game was, and the few who did invariably had it confused with American football. Now I'm finding most Turks are aware of the game's existence - but nonetheless appear surprised when I inform them it is played in Turkey (albeit on a very minor, strictly amateur level).

Turkey vs Greece pics: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... ZvTUxSakFn

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sun, 10 Nov 2019, 16:48

Don't forget Serbia, that is also growing and bigger than Union from my observations this Autumn.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sun, 10 Nov 2019, 17:58

Thomas wrote:Don't forget Serbia, that is also growing and bigger than Union from my observations this Autumn.

They have fewer clubs and fewer players than union. They just seem bigger because they get more attention in the league media and from league fans.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 10 Nov 2019, 18:07

In fact League and Union in Serbia are almost the same size it seems, as both claim around 2.000 players. In other words, doesn't matter, both are really small. Probably just like in Greece. But it is notable anyway the scenario in the Balkans. And in the Greek case it is worse as their Union is not inside Rugby Europe system anymore.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sun, 10 Nov 2019, 18:16

In greece league has two governing bodies and the one affiliated to RLIF or whatever they're called now isn't the one recognized by the state and they've had to play games in the middle of the night and play their "home" qualifiers in London.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 10 Nov 2019, 19:41

well, a RLWC qualification can make them solve such issues. Otherwise it would be a big time stupidity.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sun, 10 Nov 2019, 19:56

iul wrote:
Thomas wrote:Don't forget Serbia, that is also growing and bigger than Union from my observations this Autumn.

They have fewer clubs and fewer players than union. They just seem bigger because they get more attention in the league media and from league fans.

That maybe so but were easier to find than Union and the impression on the ground they are bigger.

iul wrote:In greece league has two governing bodies and the one affiliated to RLIF or whatever they're called now isn't the one recognised by the state and they've had to play games in the middle of the night and play their "home" qualifiers in London.

Yes there is the Greek Rugby League Association the one that qualified and the Hellenic Federation of Rugby League managed by Anastasios PANTAZIDIS he also runs the Hellenic Modern Pentathlon federation and is a member of the sports ministry which is the reason why Greece is suffering.

is a very messy situation.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Sun, 10 Nov 2019, 21:04

It seems if you are a T3 nation who wants to grow Rugy, you have a choice between RU with its bigger profile, greater cash for development, but closed door T1-cartel, or RL which will probably be more open to helping you grow but will lack the funds of WR.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 11 Nov 2019, 10:59

jservuk wrote:It seems if you are a T3 nation who wants to grow Rugy, you have a choice between RU with its bigger profile, greater cash for development, but closed door T1-cartel, or RL which will probably be more open to helping you grow but will lack the funds of WR.

I would simply say, that RU has higher standards and demands from a Union which can be sometimes hard to meet for small countries when you don't have a real administrative structure.
I don't say that RU standards are that high compared to other sports. RL seems to make it simple for everyone. If you have enough players to form a team, you play international. RL in Germany is some Union players playing in off-season playing for clubs who are not even registered under German law (maybe some RU clubs have their RL section).

So if you simply want to play and don't bother to much about the irritating administrative works, RL is your choice. If you have the smallest kind of amibition to seriously grow the sport, RU is the better choice because of the Olympic inclusion (and therefore possible state money).
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Return to Rugby Forum