Venue: Starfire Sports, Seattle
Referee: Pablo Deluca (Argentina)
Team Lists:
News and views

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: 3 March: USA v Uruguay ARC

Postby qwerty » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 13:32

Will it be played on that pitch that has only soccer lines (and maybe faint rugby ones)?

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 14:35

Can we win outside home? Let's see.

Postby 4N » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 15:18

Chance Wenglewski
Joe Taufete'e
Paul Mullen
Nate Brakeley
Nick Civetta
Tevita Tameilau
Hanco Germishuys
Cam Dolan
Ruben de Haas
Will Magie
Marcel Brache
Paul Lasike
Bryce Campbell
Blaine Scully (C)
Will Hooley

Kapeli Pifeleti
David Ainuu
Dino Waldren
Ben Landry
John Quill
Nick Boyer
Dylan Audsley
Gannon Moore

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 16:08

I would like Uruguay to win this one. World Rugby needs to see that the USA shouldn't be the team entered into the World League. They're getting better (and are way better than Canada, who also shouldn't be in it) but they haven't paid their dues like the pacific Islands teams have.

Postby Raven » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 16:12

snapper37 wrote:I would like Uruguay to win this one. World Rugby needs to see that the USA shouldn't be the team entered into the World League. They're getting better (and are way better than Canada, who also shouldn't be in it) but they haven't paid their dues like the pacific Islands teams have.

I don´t think they (URU) are as interesting marketingwise nor for the businness that can be created around thier figure, and they already have one spanish speaking exotic country playing with the big boys. If it was Brazil though.... well that would have another ring to it (nothing against it happening either!)

But coming back to the game itself, yeah, Vamos Teros! Uruguay nomá!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 16:22

Raven wrote:
snapper37 wrote:I would like Uruguay to win this one. World Rugby needs to see that the USA shouldn't be the team entered into the World League. They're getting better (and are way better than Canada, who also shouldn't be in it) but they haven't paid their dues like the pacific Islands teams have.

I don´t think they (URU) are as interesting marketingwise nor for the businness that can be created around thier figure, and they already have one spanish speaking exotic country playing with the big boys. If it was Brazil though.... well that would have another ring to it (nothing against it happening either!)

But coming back to the game itself, yeah, Vamos Teros! Uruguay nomá!

The Americans have the money but don't really have an interesting market place either.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rug ... 03076.html

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 17:38

If we were to capitalize on Uruguayan population this test would not be in Seattle...no Market research was done, and part of this was also to save costs which I understand. But...tickets for both this and the Canada match are lagging.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 03 Mar 2019, 04:05

We are playing like ass...Pali can't call a game to save his life.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 03 Mar 2019, 04:43

Argentina and Uruguay exotic?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sun, 03 Mar 2019, 05:15

This was a decent game. Uruguay played great and really took it to the States. The try they scored off the kick return was an awesome display of simply skills.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 03 Mar 2019, 05:29

First thing, we played like complete ass. Didn't think to change our game plan when it wasn't working. Some Sisyphean shit right there.

Pali Deluca was pretty awful in his few MLR matches as a referee, he was really awful tonight.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 03 Mar 2019, 06:53

Congrats Teros! So, I see it is possible to put rugby lines down in Seattle......

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 03 Mar 2019, 07:00

Also, Uruguay move to 16th in the world rankings. I'd imagine that's an all time high.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Sun, 03 Mar 2019, 07:51

I watched the game. Uruguay deserved a win, but . . . US defense. Was it defense at all?

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sun, 03 Mar 2019, 11:18

I found it amusing that none of us got the USA v Uruguay game in the tipping. I thought that was funny.

On a serious note is there as state in the USA that has the largest support base? shouldn't you concentrate all your matches there or keep it to one side of the country?

I understand the reasoning that you have one match in Texas the next in Washington State, is it doable. Shouldn't you harness your core base from your strongest or weakest region? Keep your matches there for the foreseeable future? genuine interested to find out why constant stadium changes.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Sun, 03 Mar 2019, 11:58

Colorado?

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Sun, 03 Mar 2019, 15:08

Strange game - strange outcome.

Was it last nail in US's coffin in terms of not including them into the World League?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 03 Mar 2019, 15:35

Thomas wrote:I found it amusing that none of us got the USA v Uruguay game in the tipping. I thought that was funny.

On a serious note is there as state in the USA that has the largest support base? shouldn't you concentrate all your matches there or keep it to one side of the country?

I understand the reasoning that you have one match in Texas the next in Washington State, is it doable. Shouldn't you harness your core base from your strongest or weakest region? Keep your matches there for the foreseeable future? genuine interested to find out why constant stadium changes.

Dude...I discussed this for awhile...we have such poor predictability with this things. Texas overall has a very strong rugby base, Dallas and Houston Rugby Communities are very large, so the Round Rock test is a meet in the middle one. We'd previously gotten over 6k there.

Seattle has a pretty decent rugby community...what's sad is that USAR couldn't sell out there when the Seawolves sold out the week before.

Postby 4N » Sun, 03 Mar 2019, 17:11

BigG wrote:Strange game - strange outcome.

Was it last nail in US's coffin in terms of not including them into the World League?

Not sure about that, but people need to be more honest about where the Eagles are as a team. We got carried away after the ARC and the Scotland test last year. The scrum has been a crippling weakness for at least 10 years now but no one wants to take the steps to fix it because it would require a few people admitting fault.

Postby 4N » Sun, 03 Mar 2019, 17:18

Thomas wrote:I found it amusing that none of us got the USA v Uruguay game in the tipping. I thought that was funny.

I’m honestly not sure if the US has a rugby hotbed to compare to somewhere like Heidelberg or Valladolid or Krasnoyarsk. Parts of Utah or Sacramento might come the closest but there isn’t really a place where rugby is considered the third or fourth sport locally.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Sun, 03 Mar 2019, 17:46

What about Denver? And maybe Atlanta (or wherever Life University is)?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sun, 03 Mar 2019, 17:48

BigG wrote:Strange game - strange outcome.

I hope so

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sun, 03 Mar 2019, 17:52

4N wrote:

I’m honestly not sure if the US has a rugby hotbed to compare to somewhere like Heidelberg or Valladolid or Krasnoyarsk. Parts of Utah or Sacramento might come the closest but there isn’t really a place where rugby is considered the third or fourth sport locally.

This is why i don't believe the States are ready for a world cup. Not enough support around one area to hold the whole tourney, Having a tourney 6 plus more states apart would lose and a Tourney feel and just one off poorly attended games.

Postby 4N » Sun, 03 Mar 2019, 17:57

qwerty wrote:What about Denver? And maybe Atlanta (or wherever Life University is)?

Rugby is more popular in the places I mentioned than Denver. Maybe Aspen or Boulder would come closer. I’ll let Coloradoan answer though.

It’s way down the pecking order in Atlanta. No disrespect to Life U but it’s a small school that most people haven’t heard of.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum