Ireland 19 - 10 Germany

Re: HK 7s World Series Qualifier

Postby 4N » Sun, 07 Apr 2019, 05:13

HK 7 - 5 Chile

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 07 Apr 2019, 05:41

So disappointment one way or the other from every single candidate to promotion bar Ireland...

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 07 Apr 2019, 09:29

Fuck this sport.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sun, 07 Apr 2019, 09:44

Only Silver lining all british teams haven't performed well. maybe time to finally merge the nations.

Wales has lost to Spain
and Scotland fighting it out with Japan for Challenge final
England missed out on the 5th place playoff.

In other (Olympic) sports is a GB Team, time for Rugby Union to look at it.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Sun, 07 Apr 2019, 10:32

A GB 7s side is logical. The good news is that Wales are in the relegation spot, and I suspect that relegation will be used as an excuse to go back to a part time programme.

Postby 4N » Sun, 07 Apr 2019, 10:44

thatrugbyguy wrote:Fuck this sport.

I get that you’re disappointed but look at it this way - Ireland showed to other aspiring nations what can be accomplished in a short period with the right setup and players.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Sun, 07 Apr 2019, 11:04

4N wrote:

I get that you’re disappointed but look at it this way - Ireland showed to other aspiring nations what can be accomplished in a short period with the right setup and players.

Ireland is anything but aspiring they have great programs setup across the isle. they just choose to starting to invest in 7's properly.

Postby 4N » Sun, 07 Apr 2019, 11:06

Not sure how that differs from my point. They are an aspiring nation in 7s and have invested in it.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 07 Apr 2019, 11:35

I join ...

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Sun, 07 Apr 2019, 14:28

Well Ireland did it fairly and squarely on the pitch starting from the bottom and with no special favours. They deserve it and well done to them.

Now let's hope it is Wales that go down so we keep the same number of established XVs nations and don't lose one of the different sides.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Sun, 07 Apr 2019, 15:02

Yes, but I fear that it is Kenya that will go down in the end.
One of the most colourful sides and supporters on the circuit.
It is a bit premature but that would really suck.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Grayday88 » Sun, 07 Apr 2019, 15:40

Worth remembering that 4 years ago Ireland were playing the equivalent of Conference 2in sevens. Yes I appreciate that they they have an advantage in terms of resources but at the same time an impressive achievement in such a short time

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 07 Apr 2019, 17:46

Everybody knew it was a matter of time for Ireland. That's why a GB team is so important.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby gibbs » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 04:50

Thomas wrote:Only Silver lining all british teams haven't performed well. maybe time to finally merge the nations.

Wales has lost to Spain
and Scotland fighting it out with Japan for Challenge final
England missed out on the 5th place playoff.

In other (Olympic) sports is a GB Team, time for Rugby Union to look at it.

Only British team to do fairly well was HK... :lol:

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 07:57

Look, Ireland may have earned their place, but at the same time they have access to resources the other nations don't. Ireland being in the World Series does nothing to develop rugby in T2 or T3 nations. Germany, Chile, Hong Kong, any one of those would have done far more for the sports profile than Ireland being there. The only hope now is for the Great Britain merger to happen which will open up two places on the World Series. If that happens then Ireland being there isn't as big an issue. This just pisses me off because every time the sport takes two steps forward the T1 nations in some way, intentional or not, take us three steps back.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 08:29

Congrats to Ireland, they've been the best and extremely consistent European team since last year without a question.

Germany could have won this semi-final, but we didn't and this time, there is nobody to blame, apart from a simply smarter and efficient Ireland even winning, when the other team seems to dominate. Overall one must say, that simply the best team won the lottery that is the HK7s Qualifier.

For the sport itself this is a tragedy. You can only receive additional funds when you play at the highest level as a smaller nation and this money is lost now that Ireland took this place ahead of Chile or Germany. I don't know if Ireland receives funds from the Olympic Federation for this, but the impact is way less than it is for the other nations.

For Germany, the most important thing is to continue to perform well at the European level to get the support of state funds for the 7s program. But to lose now three times in a row against the team who makes the World Series in very close games is still heart-breaking.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 09:00

Thomas wrote:
4N wrote:

Ireland is anything but aspiring they have great programs setup across the isle. they just choose to starting to invest in 7's properly.

This. Actually Ireland shows that even with all the money possible (in relation they do have the most money) it is not that easy anymore to get an the World stage. That's the positive thing to take out.

But nobody can go behind them, as the Shame Nations left the U18 7s Euros. So how exactly can you build a team which never plays against the best? The Shame Nations don't have this problem as they have more players on a high level nationally and they can have their Shame Nations incest cup or whatever they call their 7s now. But small nations don't have that many players capable and so international games are extremely important for development. Germany build up because of Olympic money and that they sent their youth teams more likely to a tournament in South Africa than to a Shame Nation says a lot.

Sorry for the harsh words, but I am extremly pissed what was done in the last year by the 6N Ltd.! Ireland qualifying itself is actually not unfair in the slightest, but from a "only sport"-perspective well earned. But citing this as a success or role-model is extremely cynical, as the sports admin does everything to keep everybody else down.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Postby Raven » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 09:56

I agree with you @RugbyLiebe.

I´ll add to all you said that one can only hope these years of preparation and lost finals / semi help as experience for these boys, that once they make it as a Core Team (and they will) they get to stay there for many years.

Time to reshuffle and focus on an Olympic Qualification which is ultimately what the German Olympic Federation want, surely they know about the World Series, but they probably don´t care as much as having a team participating in the O.Games.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 10:18

The best team won and there isn't much to say. But as you all say it's cynical to sell an underdog story out of this when IRFU has spent in the last year in their men's Sevens program as much as some full time World Series teams receiving financial support from World Rugby. Add to this the fact they have the facilities, academies, coaches already in place whereas their rivals started almost from scratch from this POV and it's pretty clear it was a question of time. But hey, World Rugby needs to sell stories on social media, we've seen this in the past with T2 and T3 often benefiting from that exposure.

Regarding Olympic funding, Irish women receive it so it's probable men will have access to it too after this summer.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 14:27

I agree that the best team won. Congratulations to Ireland.

I also congratulate the Chilean team, they advanced a lot but they did not reach this target yet. They are not professional players, they have only partial dedication to Rugby so there is a valuable merit to be one of the 4 best teams. Next target is to reach the Olympic Games ¡¡¡

Sooner or later this squad will face the Renovation, very likely during 2020. Nevertheless, it wil be on the same basis : non professional players.

Postby 4N » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 15:56

T2Rugby blog getting a kicking in the comments here. Rightfully so.

https://mobile.twitter.com/T2Rugby/stat ... 3747164160

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 17:04

Does Beeman do that in real life with romantic interests? Because he must be quite the lonely person.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 17:44

4N wrote:T2Rugby blog getting a kicking in the comments here. Rightfully so.

https://mobile.twitter.com/T2Rugby/stat ... 3747164160

He's got a point but the way it is presented makes it easily kickable.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 18:32

Somebody copied my post and took out the angry rant parts :D
Fair enough as I never really liked twitter and don't use it actively.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum