Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

MLR and Toronto Arrows

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

MLR and Toronto Arrows

Postby rugbylineout » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 03:03

Great to be at the Arrows home opener today and able to cover it. Lots of positives despite a heartbreaking narrow loss and great to see the crowd really getting behind the boys. Here's to a great run of home games and the first MLR match on Canadian soil and great for the development of the game at a national level! Well done lads! https://therugbylineout.com/

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: MLR and Toronto Arrows

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 08:00

Saw the highlights. Good crowd in, not sure about that field though. The makeshift goalposts were kind of embarrassing.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 16:25

I was there, it was a good crowd for sure, pretty packed in the stands. They've got some figuring out to do with beer concessions etc but it was a good time!
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Tue, 09 Apr 2019, 08:42

:oops: WHAT a RUBBISH this TABLE is
https://www.usmlr.com/stats-standings/

PLS, tell them to insert team NAMES not only LOGOS

:::

Can somebody help: Which team out of 10 is missing :?:

:::

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Tue, 09 Apr 2019, 09:35

There are only 9 teams this season

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Tue, 09 Apr 2019, 15:53

Yeah...so rubbish....

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Tue, 09 Apr 2019, 22:00

I see that the Attendance was triple that of the Wolfpack on their first ever home game.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 07:32

snapper37 wrote:I see that the Attendance was triple that of the Wolfpack on their first ever home game.

Not really, The Wolfpack had an attendance of 6,281 in their first home game. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Toronto_Wolfpack_season#League_1_fixtures

And for the Arrows 3081.

No idea if that is good or not in comparision, just stating facts.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 12:04

They called it a sellout - what that actually means with bleachers idk. I don't think they actually stopped selling tickets, but my guess is that they figure 3000 capacity for the stands and beyond that is standing room only.

So pretty close to capped on capacity, and the word is that there are no free tickets like TWP. Also, TWP had some novelty factor since it was the first rugby team of any kind.

That all being said, I wish we could stop constantly comparing, and celebrate the initial success that the Arrows have achieved, as well as help keep it going. We finally have a professional rugby team,that seems to be going about things in the right ways, getting good support and playing some good rugby. It's a time to be happy as a rugby fan here.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 16:04

The TWP GM has been on record stating that 5% of their tickets are comps, meaning that the two sides are as good as level in terms of ticket sales.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42702631

Postby 4N » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 16:07

There’s been some question as to who that claim is attributed to.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 16:09

Blurandski wrote:The TWP GM has been on record stating that 5% of their tickets are comps, meaning that the two sides are as good as level in terms of ticket sales.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42702631

50%

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rugbylineout » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 19:55

jonny24 wrote:They called it a sellout - what that actually means with bleachers idk. I don't think they actually stopped selling tickets, but my guess is that they figure 3000 capacity for the stands and beyond that is standing room only.

So pretty close to capped on capacity, and the word is that there are no free tickets like TWP. Also, TWP had some novelty factor since it was the first rugby team of any kind.

That all being said, I wish we could stop constantly comparing, and celebrate the initial success that the Arrows have achieved, as well as help keep it going. We finally have a professional rugby team,that seems to be going about things in the right ways, getting good support and playing some good rugby. It's a time to be happy as a rugby fan here.

Well said jonny24. Was suprised at how everybody kept harping on about the fact that the Wolfpack were Toronto's first professional rugby franchise, in contrast to what a great day out Sunday was in terms of the arrival of the Arrows. Absolutely the Wolfpack can claim the mantle of first professional "rugby" franchise in Canada and Toronto, and like many have been delighted by their success and thoroughly well earned. However, this country has been crying out for years for a pro rugby union franchise in order to help build the base for our beleaugered national side who face a very daunting World Cup challenge in less than six months, a challenge that many of the Wolfpack players will not be facing. If we could get a second Canadian team most likely Vancouver then how great would that be. For now though the Arrows debut on home soil was great for Canada and great for Toronto and needs to be celebrated for the success it was on Sunday for both players and supporters alike regardless of the final score!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 23:43

Happy for the Arrows. I want to see them play at Lamport and think they and the Wolfpack should share a Stadium. There is room for both clubs in Toronto.

Here is what I am finally happy about: Toronto has taken the mantle from BC as Canada's "professional" rugby centre of excellence.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sat, 13 Apr 2019, 16:25

Not a league fan and don't consider it Rugby. It is great for Arrows and i am a bit envious to be honest. I hear nothing about Vancouver but have heard a little rumbling about the Prairie Fire coming back. Maybe they can generate enough interest and gt a team in Regina.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 14 Apr 2019, 03:00

snapper37 wrote:Not a league fan and don't consider it Rugby. It is great for Arrows and i am a bit envious to be honest. I hear nothing about Vancouver but have heard a little rumbling about the Prairie Fire coming back. Maybe they can generate enough interest and gt a team in Regina.

Are you talking about a potential MLR bid?

Return to Rugby Forum