Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Broadcasters push for radical shake up of SANZAAR Competitio

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Broadcasters push for radical shake up of SANZAAR Competitio

Postby antlat » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 10:48

Broadcasters push radical shake-up of Super Rugby, Rugby Championship

Super Rugby would take a leaf out of the Champions League and NFL's book and sell off the Super Rugby final to the highest bidder under a broadcasters' wishlist obtained by the Herald.
The proposal would see the final played at a neutral venue from 2021 instead of the home ground of the highest-ranked team in the final, a format used by the peak professional competitions in European and American football.
It was one of a number of big changes outlined in a summary of a presentation to SANZAAR by the southern hemisphere's top pay television broadcasters, Fox Sports (Australia), Super Sport (South Africa), Sky Sport (New Zealand) and UK broadcaster Sky Sports in London on March 9.

The broadcasters also proposed moving the Rugby Championship to a tour-based itinerary with midweek games.
And at Super Rugby level it argues for a pool of 'marquee players' be able to move across the SANZAAR nations without it impacting their Test eligibility, as well as all Super Rugby teams featuring their home city or region in their names.

There would also be themed rounds across the competition, a single sponsor for Super Rugby and consistent time slots in each nation.

Neither Rugby Australia nor SANZAAR would comment when contacted by the Herald. The proposed changes are for 2021 and beyond, and a new format may not be announced for some time.
While there are still hopes World Rugby secures support for its annual global competition proposal - the Nations Championship - the southern-hemisphere nations have been hard at work on their plan B.

Central to that is the Rugby Championship, the four-nation Test competition run over three two-Test blocks between the Wallabies, Pumas, All Blacks and Springboks in August and September.
Once considered the best Test championship in the world in its Tri Nations days, its star has fallen as its northern rival the Six Nations has risen.
The broadcasters are proposing an overhaul, including scrapping the two-week blocks in favour of moving to a "tours focused calendar, akin to the June series" that would run from August to October.
The Springboks would tour Australia for two Tests in a row, for example, bringing across an expanded squad to make possible midweek games against Super Rugby sides.
Those fixtures would give the states an opportunity to make up for the loss of one or two home games in Super Rugby, a change with an estimated price tag of $7 million a year across the four Australian teams, the document says.
The Super Rugby tweaks could have large flow-on effects for all the southern hemisphere countries, all of which are battling a talent drain to the cashed-up competitions in Japan, France and the UK.

The 'marquee player' concept is effectively proposing a safe zone for the movement of players, allowing them to move overseas but to countries in the same competition, meaning no schedule clashes and a closer high performance relationship. Having Australians playing in South African teams, for instance, could also help boost interest in the traditionally poorly-watched games between South African and Australian teams.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 51c1d.html

Re: Broadcasters push for radical shake up of SANZAAR Compet

Postby 4N » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 11:53

A neutral site final would be a disaster.

Postby Raven » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 15:03

Midweek games would be awesome.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 15:29

4N wrote:A neutral site final would be a disaster.

I mean really, how do they even come up with such an idea, when it works in the soccer Champions League, because a) soccer is massive b) Europe's distances are a joke compared to SANZAAR's. Can't wait for the masses an All-Kiwi-final in South Africa creates with a lot of Kiwi fans after their 20-hour-flight :D

I love the imagination though. Let's throw Japan with a proven rugby TV audience of 20 million people out and then desperately try to create more income. :roll: Maybe Discworld is not a fantasy book series but a direct view into the head of rugby admins.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 18:31

Only logical solution: Wembley. It's going to happen.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 18:47

The rugby world is full of awful ideas right now it seems.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 19:42

rey200 wrote:Only logical solution: Wembley. It's going to happen.

Or Colwyn Bay!

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 20:33

I think a neutral final could work quite well.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 22:46

Team names might not seem like a big deal, but the truth is the lack of location in the names of most of the teams means people have no idea where teams are coming from.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 11 Apr 2019, 18:05

dwpeate wrote:
rey200 wrote:Only logical solution: Wembley. It's going to happen.

Or Colwyn Bay!

It's been a few years since Canada's played a game a Colwyn Bay... Hopefully it stays that way.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 12 Apr 2019, 15:41

Exactly. If South Africa would host a Brumbies vs Highlanders match, attendance would be minimal.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Higgik » Fri, 12 Apr 2019, 16:57

NaBUru38 wrote:

Exactly. If South Africa would host a Brumbies vs Highlanders match, attendance would be minimal.

How come the SuperBowl is massively oversubscribed?
If the final was marketed correctly, then the number of fans from competing teams would not matter, as many fans would go to the game to be part of the experience.
I have been suggesting for a few years to have marquee players, including PI players, who could not lose their nationality.
This would add depth to the teams, and I don’t care if the Aussie teams have a few more NZ and Saffers. If it raises the standard of the teams, more players will want to play. Look at the English teams and how they are credited for having EQP, but are allowed to have foreign players. The depth of the English game is the gr3ates5vit has been for a long time, even if they are not yet at the highest Level.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 12 Apr 2019, 18:28

Higgik wrote:
NaBUru38 wrote:

How come the SuperBowl is massively oversubscribed?
If the final was marketed correctly, then the number of fans from competing teams would not matter, as many fans would go to the game to be part of the experience.
I have been suggesting for a few years to have marquee players, including PI players, who could not lose their nationality.
This would add depth to the teams, and I don’t care if the Aussie teams have a few more NZ and Saffers. If it raises the standard of the teams, more players will want to play. Look at the English teams and how they are credited for having EQP, but are allowed to have foreign players. The depth of the English game is the gr3ates5vit has been for a long time, even if they are not yet at the highest Level.

Think about how many football fans there are in this country. Then think about the size of New Zealand or Australia and they can't sell out semi-finals.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 12 Apr 2019, 19:40

NaBUru38 wrote:

I don't like the idea but they are obviously thinking about Asia or North America. Specially Asia. Tokyo, Osaka, Hong Kong, maybe Singapore with heavy mkt...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sat, 13 Apr 2019, 16:05

Do you honestly think plane loads of Kiwi's or Aussies are going to fly over to South Africa to watch a Rebels Crusaders Final? It works in American Football A) because its all in one country B) all centred around major airports C) the game is incredibly boring so they fill it hype the shit out of it and it last 6 hours.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 13 Apr 2019, 17:09

snapper37 wrote:Do you honestly think plane loads of Kiwi's or Aussies are going to fly over to South Africa to watch a Rebels Crusaders Final? It works in American Football A) because its all in one country B) all centred around major airports C) the game is incredibly boring so they fill it hype the shit out of it and it last 6 hours.

The games are only boring because you have the two best teams in the league playing each other...and then they add four hours of bullshit...if you get rid of all the BS it would be a much more exciting game.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Sat, 13 Apr 2019, 18:40

This year's game sucked. But I agree, if they manage to get 60 minutes of play into a 2,5h time frame, it would be much more fun to watch. College Football is even worse tbh.
Still, Super Rugby won't succeed that way. It's still a league for local fans, and those fans live in Arg, SA, NZ, JP and Aus. Taking the final away from them... well, I think that would be the next step to irrelevance.
Imo it'd very good to have real team names (City/Region + Nickname back. Man I'm interested in Super Rugby, but really have always to look up where the teams play. That sucks.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 17 Apr 2019, 13:34

rey200 wrote: Imo it'd very good to have real team names (City/Region + Nickname back. Man I'm interested in Super Rugby, but really have always to look up where the teams play. That sucks.

Agree. My father like rugby, but we will never memorize the nicknames. I tell him it's Pretoria versus Sydney rather than Bulls versus Waratahs.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Wed, 17 Apr 2019, 17:53

I think UEFA scored a massive own goal for the future development of young fan base by taking UCL off FTA. Here in UK we had Sky SPorts (Subscription) and ITV (FTA) for years an it worked well.

Then BT came along and took UCL, then as a punter you had to pay extra to watch UCL. Then ITV lost and it all went to BT.

UCL TV audience is now tiny, and poorer kids can no longer watch the stars of the 'peoples game'.

I've written to UEFA about this twice - no reply.

I wish Rugby would be brave and offer it's Euro Champions Cup competition to ITV in direct competition to UCL on Wednesday nights. It would definitely get a bigger audience.

But then when I read proposals like this one I wonder why Rugby is so keen to just follow UEFA and take the money, and not make the big bold moves to actually grow the sport.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 17 Apr 2019, 18:49

Just out of curiosity to the Argentine contributors on the forum. How was the Copa Libertadores final played in Spain perceived by the Argentine General public? Was there a good TV coverage? I know the events leading to the change of continent but how was it perceived afterwards?

Did many Argentines travelled to Spain?

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Wed, 17 Apr 2019, 22:13

The decision was reviled before, during and after the game. Buenos Aires didn’t deserve to host the match but there were more sensible options for the ordinary fan like Mendoza, Córdoba, Salta or even Asunción. CONMEBOL went for the highest bidder. Now every fucking final will be in neutral ground killing some of the best atmospheres in sport.

Almost 30.000 fans made the trip to Madrid but most of them already lived in Europe. TV coverage was wall to wall. There is nothing to extrapolate into rugby. This was our biggest club game ever.

Return to Rugby Forum