Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Third European cup - press release from FIR

Re: Third European cup - press release from FIR

Postby 4N » Mon, 18 Dec 2017, 16:33

The level of Batumi is impressive tbh. They could have a better record if not for some second half collapses too, which was probably down to being new to this level. A Georgian-Romanian-Russian Cup competition would be very interesting.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby datodato » Mon, 18 Dec 2017, 16:34

Bogdan_DC wrote:@GeoRugby It is hard to understand how after ONE game you decide that Didi10 is better than SuperLiga. Is like saying the Oaks are better than Lelos after that one game in March. Based on a single game yes Batumi &Oaks where better in the day nobody can say nothing (or at least nobody because still i see on this forum some moaners about that game too). For me is hard to make this conclusion after only one game.

Brother nobody is saying that DIDI10 is better, read the Posts. We are saying SL is better but DIDI10 not far away. And the Italian league also not far away, because Batumi lost closely both games and were ahead at half time. It was not a Blowout for Batumi. All Teams in the semis are at the same Level so except HRK (who are a Special case) it is ok to say that the competitions from those Teams are closer together than we thought, because they represent the middle table of each competition. But it is not like 5 years ago when DIDI10 was about brawling, scrums and drinking after the game. Calm down, nobody is saying DIDI10 is "better".

But Forget this nonsense now. How impressive is HRK? They won 3 games, against two Excelenca Teams and just steamrolled Lisboa. Great development there as well. Crazy to see how they will be left out of the German National Team...

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Mon, 18 Dec 2017, 17:57

4N wrote:The level of Batumi is impressive tbh. They could have a better record if not for some second half collapses too, which was probably down to being new to this level. A Georgian-Romanian-Russian Cup competition would be very interesting.

You can expand the Continental Shield to 20 teams. 4 groups of 5 teams in each. 2 games at home and 2 games away in our groups. In the playoffs are the 4 winners of the groups. In 1/4 they play one match in January on the field of teams, which scored more points in their groups. Two winners play two semifinals in April. By 4 teams from Italy, Russia, Romania and Georgia + 4 teams from other countries depending on different circumstances (Germany, Belgium, Spain, Portugal ...).

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Tue, 19 Dec 2017, 08:27

Have NOT some posters paniced reading about this

PROPOSED JOINT COMP :?:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=277&start=1225#p73812

while thinking deep in their minds that
Georgian posters are ZERO's RUGBY-wise :?:

@

ANTIM | BLACK SEA LEAGUE actually would

KEEP *local, internal rivalries* as they stand today =
10 games per season for a club in its CONFERENCE (G | R)

and

ADD much needed *across the Black Sea* exposure =
minimum 7 games per season for qualified teams

As for player WELFARE, during 16 rounds of REGULAR play
a team flies only ONCE over Black Sea and
plays ONLY 3 games in ANOTHER country

As for preserving TRADITION | IDENTITY,
both parties would STILL have their own CHAMPIONS =
either winner over those 10 DOMESTIC games leg,
or better finisher overall

Plus, there would be a BLACK SEA Premier as well

The comp could have DIFFERENT naming sponsors in both countries
and of course, DIFFERENT TV-rights owners

@

And if one DON'T likes the proposal, then why abuse people :?:

Just politely say, NO :thumbdown: , we'd rather
keep our *CEC SL* and move forward with it

@

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 19 Dec 2017, 08:40

NO

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Tue, 19 Dec 2017, 09:40

Thanks and kindest of respects for HONESTY

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 19 Dec 2017, 09:55

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:Thanks and kindest of respects for HONESTY

You're welcome. No money for a transnational competition.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Tue, 19 Dec 2017, 12:50

TIMISOARA VA JUCA DIN NOU CU BATUMI IN CONTINENTAL SHIELD.
Primul meci va avea loc la Batumi.

TBC shortly: 13/01_2018 @ Batumi, 20/01 @ Timisoara

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 20 Dec 2017, 13:00

A bunch of Spanish journalists were invited ten days ago to watch a couple of Champions Cup games in Ireland and interview Vincent Gaillard. Let's see what the rest of interviews offer to us, but the one published by Revista 22 has the following content:
- EPCR will replicate 2018-2019 final choices in the future: one totally new country, then a new place in a traditional country. He mentions Italy (Rome or Milan), Germany, Netherlands (Amsterdam is favourite), Lisbon, Marseille or Lille.
- Even though Top 14 final in Barcelona success helped to take the decision to bring finals to a new country, EPCR believes Barcelona is a bit too big for what they are looking for (I remember they were in the shortlist for 2018).
- Spanish clubs won't be vetoed by EPCR in the future for renouncing to Continental Shield this season, but in case they want to return Rugby Europe will have the final word.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Wed, 20 Dec 2017, 15:19

Moscow also aspires to the finals of European competition.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 20 Dec 2017, 15:34

I know, I read it here, but he didn't mention it. In fact he even say he wants to take the finals outside traditional places but not too far, so I don't know if he meant something by that.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Wed, 20 Dec 2017, 16:04

It seems that the new head of the Russian rugby federation Artemyev is a real man. There were builders at the new VVA stadium. Before that, no one had done anything for years. Also, I heard rumors that maybe in St. Petersburg will be a new professional club Zenit. Will wait for good surprises.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 20 Dec 2017, 18:27

Armchair Fan wrote:A bunch of Spanish journalists were invited ten days ago to watch a couple of Champions Cup games in Ireland and interview Vincent Gaillard. Let's see what the rest of interviews offer to us, but the one published by Revista 22 has the following content:
- EPCR will replicate 2018-2019 final choices in the future: one totally new country, then a new place in a traditional country. He mentions Italy (Rome or Milan), Germany, Netherlands (Amsterdam is favourite), Lisbon, Marseille or Lille.
- Even though Top 14 final in Barcelona success helped to take the decision to bring finals to a new country, EPCR believes Barcelona is a bit too big for what they are looking for (I remember they were in the shortlist for 2018).
- Spanish clubs won't be vetoed by EPCR in the future for renouncing to Continental Shield this season, but in case they want to return Rugby Europe will have the final word.

Lille and then Amsterdam would almost be a dangerously coherent pair to award the finals to! Lille is a great stadium and really good town too.

I think Italy should get a final too, now we have moved away from the 4 capital cities of the UK rotating the hosting the whole of Europe has opened up and the possibilities are practically endless.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 20 Dec 2017, 21:32

STMKY wrote:It seems that the new head of the Russian rugby federation Artemyev is a real man. There were builders at the new VVA stadium. Before that, no one had done anything for years. Also, I heard rumors that maybe in St. Petersburg will be a new professional club Zenit. Will wait for good surprises.

I am sure Russia would be a great host, but lets face it: it is simply to far away from European rugby hotbeds, not enough local interest and the average rugby fan wouldn't go there.
Nobody will fly those 4 hours from London to Moskva.
Home nation fans (and they are an important factor moneywise) will travel to Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands, the Nordic countries, Italy, Swiss, Portugal, Germany and maybe as a wildjoker the Czech Republic.

Every other country makes no sense to host it. Hopefully this will change one day. But that's 10-20 years away.

My personal favourite is Amsterdam. Lots of rugby homebase around, easy travelling, a lot of hotel beds and a place people want to go to.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Postby 4N » Wed, 20 Dec 2017, 21:36

Amsterdam seems sensible. People were suggesting that back in the HEC days.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 21 Dec 2017, 23:26

In another interview in Play Rugby SER (at the start of the podcast, answers in French) Gaillard says Challenge Cup won't expand anytime soon and that basically the responsibility of the competition is on Rugby Europe side. He affirms it's up to them to select the 8 best sides from "amateur rugby" (yeah, he considers Russia and Romania amateur...). Asked about funding for travelling purposes (one of the reasons given by Spanish teams to renounce), he states EPCR won't fund it more until sponsors or TV come onboard.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Thu, 21 Dec 2017, 23:27

Post-2013, no one is touching Moscow with a bargepole for a very long time.
But, yes, Igor Yurievich is a very serious, serious dude.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby JamesWales » Fri, 22 Dec 2017, 13:11

It’s really encouraging to hear about the finals being taken around Europe more – As much as I’ve loved Cardiff getting the finals every 3-4 years, this should have happened years ago.

It is a bit pointless however, without a legacy, and that legacy needs to be greater representation in the European Challenge Cup.

At the very least, two additional sides need to qualify from the Challenge Shield, so that typically we would end up with (for example) a Russian, Spanish, Georgian and German team – that then starts to have the hallmarks of a genuinely pan-european tournament.

Personally, I’d favour the below; increasing access to the tournament, widening to new markets, reducing group games, while increasing knock out games. Top two from a group of three would go through, meaning almost no dead-end games. Strikes me as a win-win situation.

Champions Cup
24 teams
8 groups of 3 > 16 >8>4>2

Challenge Cup
24 Teams
8 groups of 3>16>8>4>2

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Postby suofficer » Wed, 27 Dec 2017, 09:07

Not sure where to post about this anymore now...

So i went to CDUL v Heidelberg

The germans were incredibly well drilled and their front 5 had a superb work rate and domintated the game. The German backs were fairly average (in comparison) except for one winger who was super rapid. They were deseved winners without a doubt, a few additions and they could really make a mark one level up.

CDUL had lots of creative hands in the back line and defended hard but their forwards let them down. total waste of time , the CDUL back row was non existent and were simply three grey men. The NZ prop for CDUL was excellent taking the ball into contact and breaking through the first tackle almost every time . Hamish Gramham the Irish full back for CDUL simply couldn't find touch with his boot. It was in general a very mediocre showing from the Portuguese. I left on the hour mark to go down and watch another game between Cascais v Agronomia (both teams loaded with Fijians, south africans and Kiwi), hopefuly one of these teams will represent Portugal next year.

The match day experience was poor. 10 euros in (which i am a supporter of) but no programme , a dismal crowd of maybe less than 150 and a bar run by some of the mothers. This is not how to attract youth or sponsors. Hopefully CDUL don't represent Portugal next year. If we have a place.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 27 Dec 2017, 12:28

There is a thread for the Continental Shield 2017-18... I dont knkw why this one is still active.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Wed, 27 Dec 2017, 13:01

10 euros for a club game in Portugal ??? WTF, how do you want to attract crowds...

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 27 Dec 2017, 13:33

Not too different here, unless you're a socio, you've got a yearly ticket (much cheaper) or your family has players in the club. It's meant to be a financial support rather than a real price for the game.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Wed, 27 Dec 2017, 14:58

victorsra wrote:There is a thread for the Continental Shield 2017-18... I dont knkw why this one is still active.

:!: DEAR ALL :!:

PLS, jump to viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1332&p=74236#p74236
and stay there in NEW YEAR

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum