Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Third European cup - press release from FIR

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Third European cup - press release from FIR

Postby GiorgioXT » Sat, 04 Oct 2014, 14:36

The FIR , Italy's rugby federation released today this press communicate

Coppe Europee

Il Presidente federale ha relazionato circa la terza coppa europea, il cui inizio è previsto per il prossimo 17 gennaio, confermando la partecipazione di tre Club italiani d’Eccellenza (Cammi Calvisano, Marchiol Mogliano, Rugby Viadana) unitamente ad una squadra georgiana, una tedesca, una olandese, una russa ed una portoghese.

La formula prevede due gironi da quattro squadre ciascuno, con gare di sola andata. Le prime due classificate di ciascun girone si affronteranno in gara unica in semifinale il 18 aprile, mentre la Finale è in calendario il 2 maggio.

Translation ( During the Consiglio Federale ) the President relationed about the third european competition, with its start forecasted for the next 18 January , confirming the participation of 3 Italian eccellenza teams, (Cammi Calvisano, Marchiol Mogliano, Rugby Viadana) , jointly with a Georgian team, a German, a Dutch , a Russian and a Portuguese.

Championship will be played in two poule of 4 teams each, with single matches, the first two of each poule will play a single semifinal match the 18 April , the final will be played the 2 may.

No other news.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Third European cup - press release from FIR

Postby iul » Sat, 04 Oct 2014, 14:46

A Dutch side but no Romanian side?
WTF?!?!

Postby ultravioletu » Sat, 04 Oct 2014, 14:58

If it were a Spanish side, I also would have understood the logic behind it (six teams from each ENC 1a country plus four Italians = 10 teams for the two Challenge spots and the eight spots in the third competition).

But Dutch? Why not Belgian? At least judging by the results from North Sea cup, Boitsfort RC would have been a much more formidable opponent. In this cup, the Dutch field regional teams (which however fulfill the formal requirements of playing regular competitions, so they are not classified as "representatives").

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby GiorgioXT » Sat, 04 Oct 2014, 15:19

No additional news , will need some time to get some "insider" to talk.
Don't know if there was already contacts with EPCR/FIRA/IRB , because these kind of int.l competition needs to be authorized.
strange also the absence of Romania and Belgian teams, on which we could only make hypothesis - there's also the biggest hurdle to be taken - the money..

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Sat, 04 Oct 2014, 16:08

Maybe it will be a Dutch XV squad similar to the Bucharest Wolves or Tbilisi Caucasians? I assume the German side will be Heidelberger RK.

Postby ultravioletu » Sat, 04 Oct 2014, 18:12

Buffalo wrote:Maybe it will be a Dutch XV squad similar to the Bucharest Wolves or Tbilisi Caucasians?
I don't expect so - the Italian union just complained about such teams. On the other hand, thw two Dutsch regions (imaginatively named North and South) already take place in a cross-border club competition (Nordsee-Cup), so they are okay.

Buffalo wrote:I assume the German side will be Heidelberger RK.
They'd better be, they have no place in German league. I just came back from the another "nail-biting" game of theirs, 71-0 against city fellows Handschuhsheim. It's the fourth consecutive "clean sheet" game - they only conceded 8 points in the first season game, probably while still daydreaming about the past vacation days. And: all of this happened in the Southern group, which is regarded as the best. Heck, they even thrashed the last years finalists, Pforzheim, 54-0, away...

Postby Silver Fox » Sat, 04 Oct 2014, 18:34

ultravioletu, Giorgio and Buffalo, I guess to a degree you are all right.

There are no top division matches today in the Netherlands because today was scheduled for the first North Sea Cup round.
Both Dutch regional sides were to play their away game against Belgian opponents. However there is not a shred of news about it anywhere.
I think we can safely assume that this years edition has been abandoned. For the reasons we can only speculate, but it is no secret that the appetite for it, especially among the German clubs, was not that great. I had still hoped that the NSC would function as the joint German/Belgian/Dutch feeder for the Qualifying Competition. This is what is was originally devised for after all.
I hoped that this would be the impetus to make it a high level supernational competition.

With a format of 10 teams involved in European qualification based on the nations playing in ENC 1A plus 4 Italian clubs however, there is no reason anymore for the German champs to persue this through the NSC.
This leaves the Netherlands Union with a newly set up high performance center in which about 30 promising players from various clubs are training together on a daily basis.
They still play for their clubs in the weekends, but part of the program was to let them make up the core of the two regional sides and let them play together against the top Belgian and German teams in the NSC.
Just like the Germans being happy to have been presented a straight entrance into the QC, I think the Dutch will be more than happy that they were able to take the spot left by the Spanish (the latter undoubtedly having forfeited for financial reasons).

Some personal notes:
- I still prefer club teams taking part so I hope to see the Romanian champions taking the Wolves' place in next years edition.
- I hope the Spaniards get their act together and be able to field their champion from next year on (albeit instead of the Dutch).
- I hope that through the HP activities the Dutch team will prove to be competitive.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 04 Oct 2014, 20:11

Silver Fox wrote:- I hope that through the HP activities the Dutch team will prove to be competitive.

I really like your optimisme!

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby GiorgioXT » Sat, 04 Oct 2014, 20:16

Silver Fox wrote:Some personal notes:
- I still prefer club teams taking part so I hope to see the Romanian champions taking the Wolves' place in next years edition.
- I hope the Spaniards get their act together and be able to field their champion from next year on (albeit instead of the Dutch).
- I hope that through the HP activities the Dutch team will prove to be competitive.

- Me too , a source not 100% reliable, tell me that there is probably the FRR behind absence of a Romania team "they won't let Timisoara back through the window after been kicked out by the door"
- Same source tell me that FIRA/EPRC are rather cold with the FER, due to last year Challenge Cuo yo-yo politic
- Portuguese seem able to have same support (Federation+Super bock beer sponsors) as last season Lusitanos XV, maybe this time a club?
- Lot of efforts to find money.

There are how are just rumours, let's see how it works, time is short. Anyway this is still the best opportunity for the development in the countries involved, since there are no other train (nor ever were) better don't lose this.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Horsehead » Mon, 06 Oct 2014, 14:46

I really hope this does go ahead - the fact that it includes Calvisano and a Georgian team but not Rovigo or Bucharest suggests to me that this is a recent post qualifier story so hopefully current.

I imagine that Bucharest Wolves are Romania's entry this year and that as they qualified for the challenge cup there will be no place for them in this. I'm guessing that Spain opted out as they did from the Amlin last season. It's a shame but I am surprised at a Dutch team taking their place, I can't imagine they will be that competitive.

I hope that next season this will start in October and run concurrently with the Challenge Cup, consist of more teams and have quarter finals as well. I see no reason why all 7 Romanian SuperLiga clubs shouldn't compete, as well as more Italian to get it up to 16 competitive teams

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby rugbyonline » Fri, 10 Oct 2014, 15:42

Gavazzi: We’re expecting a response from Rugby Europe’s President, Mr.Morariu concerning the third competition, which we hope won’t take too long, so we can start defining details.

http://rugbyonline.ru/news/2014/10/10/a ... _evrokubka
Sorry for my bad English

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 11 Oct 2014, 10:17

rugbyonline wrote:Gavazzi: We’re expecting a response from Rugby Europe’s President, Mr.Morariu concerning the third competition, which we hope won’t take too long, so we can start defining details.

http://rugbyonline.ru/news/2014/10/10/a ... _evrokubka

Is this news updated? It seems a step backward compared to the last Italian Federation press release, where FIR already defined some details like the format and the beginning day of the cup (january 17th) and the nationality of the eight involved teams.
I hope this answer from Gavazzi to Lisko is antecedent that press release

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 27 Nov 2014, 09:17

GiorgioXT wrote:The FIR , Italy's rugby federation released today this press communicate

Translation ( During the Consiglio Federale ) the President relationed about the third european competition, with its start forecasted for the next 18 January , confirming the participation of 3 Italian eccellenza teams, (Cammi Calvisano, Marchiol Mogliano, Rugby Viadana) , jointly with a Georgian team, a German, a Dutch , a Russian and a Portuguese.

Championship will be played in two poule of 4 teams each, with single matches, the first two of each poule will play a single semifinal match the 18 April , the final will be played the 2 may.

No other news.

Any news about the name of the Georgian, German, Dutch, Russian or Portuguese teams?
Fifty days are gone since when FIR released this statement and fifty days remain until the debut of the Third Cup on january 17-18. No further news, as far as I've read, in this last month and a half
I'd love to see this Third Cup

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Postby mestre » Thu, 04 Dec 2014, 06:40

Canalina wrote:
GiorgioXT wrote:The FIR , Italy's rugby federation released today this press communicate

No other news.

Any news about the name of the Georgian, German, Dutch, Russian or Portuguese teams?
Fifty days are gone since when FIR released this statement and fifty days remain until the debut of the Third Cup on january 17-18. No further news, as far as I've read, in this last month and a half
I'd love to see this Third Cup

According to information from the Portuguese Rugby Union (FPR) three teams will play in a pool, the winner playing Bucharest Wolves (home & away) for the last place on Challenge Cup 2015-2016.
Teams will be italian Mogliano, georgian Tbilissi and portuguese CDUL.
CDUL will play Mogliano on Jan, 17, in Italy, and Tbilissi on Jan, 24, in Lisbon.
Cf. http://www.fpr.pt/noticias/index.asp?opm=25&id=11457&id2=25
Rugby in Portugal: http://www.maodemestre.com/

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Postby suofficer » Thu, 04 Dec 2014, 08:52

The Portuguese side will be CDUL, a relatively decent side with a significant number of national players and a few international journeymen.

http://p3.publico.pt/raguebi/internacio ... em-janeiro

Edit: apologies! realised Mestre has already posted this.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 04 Dec 2014, 12:01

Thank you Mestre and Suofficer

So the second group should be composed by Calvisano, Viadana (?) and a non-italian team, with the winner matching Rovigo for a place in the CC 15/16

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Stef » Thu, 04 Dec 2014, 12:39

Canalina wrote:Thank you Mestre and Suofficer

So the second group should be composed by Calvisano, Viadana (?) and a non-italian team, with the winner matching Rovigo for a place in the CC 15/16

I really would like to see RCM Timisoara as that non-italian team, but I don't think that RCM Timisoara received an invitation.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Horsehead » Thu, 04 Dec 2014, 16:12

Stef wrote:
Canalina wrote:Thank you Mestre and Suofficer

I really would like to see RCM Timisoara as that non-italian team, but I don't think that RCM Timisoara received an invitation.

Why would the second group contain 2 Italian teams? Wouldn't it be 1 Italian and 2 others? I think if RCM Timisoara (or whoever the Romanian champions are) were to compete they would take the place of Bucharest Wolves. But I don't see why if we can have more than 1 Italian team why we can't have more than 1 team from any other country

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Thu, 04 Dec 2014, 17:00

suofficer wrote:The Portuguese side will be CDUL, a relatively decent side with a significant number of national players and a few international journeymen.

Some mixed feelings about this news

1/ It seem this competition will be run, great!
2/ Great to see the portuguese champion able to participate!
3/ Only 3 teams per pool ?! So 6 teams insteat 8 teams initially? A shame...
4/ Tbilisi Caucasians, Bucharest Wolves? IIRC, only teams from domestic leagues are able to participate to the Challenge Cup next season
5/ I'm really disapointed because it seem the romanian team and the georgian one can't both qualify for the Challenge Cup next season

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby olivier » Thu, 04 Dec 2014, 17:05

beber wrote:
suofficer wrote:The Portuguese side will be CDUL, a relatively decent side with a significant number of national players and a few international journeymen.

4/ Tbilisi Caucasians, Bucharest Wolves? IIRC, only teams from domestic leagues are able to participate to the Challenge Cup next season
5/ I'm really disapointed because it seem the romanian team and the georgian one can't both qualify for the Challenge Cup next season

We're talking about playoff for the last two places in 2015/16 Challenge Cup. Third tier comp start in 2015/16 with every ENC nations.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Horsehead » Thu, 04 Dec 2014, 17:05

beber wrote:

Yeah, I agree with all of these points but at least it is a start and we will have a 3rd competition this year. Hopefully it will grow each year from here on in

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Horsehead » Thu, 04 Dec 2014, 21:34

and hopefully we will see some fixtures like this not too long in the future

http://www.rugbydump.com/2014/12/4010/l ... ch-in-1995

Postby 4N » Wed, 10 Dec 2014, 16:29

Tbilisi Caucasians have withdrawn from qualifying: http://rugbyonline.ru/news/2014/12/10/g ... bku_vyzova

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Wed, 10 Dec 2014, 16:55

Completely agree with GRU president. First GRU is informed that the next qualifying tournament will start in September 2015 and now they are told that the Caucasians should be ready to play in January 2015. GRU already changed on the quick notice the structure of the league for this season to accommodate the qualifying dates against Rovigo. Created a team a month before the first match in Italy and now they are asked to participate in the qualifying just one month in advance, when it should be in September. With no finances it is impossible. Completely unprofessional and laughable approach to this whole qualifying format. As for the Italian initiative for the tournament where Portuguese and Italian team would meet Caucasians, it seems the GRU didn`t even know about it.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby olivier » Wed, 10 Dec 2014, 18:53

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rugby...

Next

Return to Rugby Forum