Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Third European cup - press release from FIR

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Re: Third European cup - press release from FIR

Postby Osmanperalta » Wed, 05 Apr 2017, 15:37

No! In fact tbilisi already host a uefa super cup final without problem so why not in rugby? Bucharest get 5000 crowd but i heard that the tickets are more expensive than in other countries
And not all final in the home nations were always successful what about toulon vs clermont final get 50.000 in a 82000 stadium and with some free tickets mistake and i am pretty sure that have enough flights between france and london
So why not give them a chance?

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Wed, 05 Apr 2017, 16:45

Osmanperalta wrote:No! In fact tbilisi already host a uefa super cup final without problem so why not in rugby? Bucharest get 5000 crowd but i heard that the tickets are more expensive than in other countries
And not all final in the home nations were always successful what about toulon vs clermont final get 50.000 in a 82000 stadium and with some free tickets mistake and i am pretty sure that have enough flights between france and london

I agree with what you are saying, as it highlights where I think people are mixed up when it comes to "expansion".

If expansion is about taking the game to new areas and getting the locals interested, then the focus should be on taking a final to Tbilisi etc and ensuring there is a huge local interest generate about a big event taking place on their doorstep.

If it just becomes about how get 50,000 people from England/Eire/France to some country, then what really is the true value in that for the development of the game?

I am 100% convinced that staging a T1 v T1 test international or Euro final in GErmany, POortugal, Sweden, BeNeLux, would sell out, not because of any inherent love for teh game in those locations, but because enough people from rugby nations will see it as a good rugby weekend away.

It's true of course that, looking at what happens in football UEFA finals, the vast majority of the fans in the stadia are fans of the two team, from the home cities of the teams, but football doesn't need to conquer these territories.

Edit - replaced "making" with "taking the top Rugby Euro Cup"
Just to pitch in another idea, how about making taking the top Rugby Euro Cup semi-finals on neutral grounds in T2 countries?
Last edited by jservuk on Wed, 05 Apr 2017, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Wed, 05 Apr 2017, 18:02

Well they did that this past weekend with Krasny Yar playing Timisoara in Georgia. But I know that likely isn't what you meant. :p

I doubt the FIR would allow it seeing as they are insisting in parachuting their teams into the semi finals from next year I believe.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 08:22

jservuk wrote:If it just becomes about how get 50,000 people from England/Eire/France to some country, then what really is the true value in that for the development of the game?

I am 100% convinced that staging a T1 v T1 test international or Euro final in GErmany, POortugal, Sweden, BeNeLux, would sell out, not because of any inherent love for teh game in those locations, but because enough people from rugby nations will see it as a good rugby weekend away.

You overestimate the knowledge about rugby in those countries you mentioned. People in Germany HAVE NO IDEA how big rugby is worldwide. 50k people watching rugby in a German stadium would be a really big exclamation mark. I would help those countries a lot. We are in the stage of telling people what rugby is. An outsold stadium will exactly do that.

The Barcelona-Top14-final made it into German news i.e. As an obscure thing, that French people apparently dare to do something else when the soccer (Euro 2016) is on.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Horsehead » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 11:36

Osmanperalta wrote:No! In fact tbilisi already host a uefa super cup final without problem so why not in rugby? Bucharest get 5000 crowd but i heard that the tickets are more expensive than in other countries

So it did, I didn't realize that. I think Barcelona have more of a pulling power than most rugby clubs though, their fans are in the millions world wide.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for Tbilisi to host it, I'm just not certain that it would sell out if they did. Lets take last years final for example, Saracens vs Racing, neither have the greatest traveling support. Do you think there would be enough interest from locals to come and watch this match to make the game a sell out? If so then maybe it should be considered, I would certainly love to go but am put off by the fact there are no direct flights for me and it is expensive to get there and I think I am more willing to travel than a lot of rugby fans.

Tbilisi would also have to put in a bid to host it which they didn't do, perhaps they will next time

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 12:03

To be honest, I don't see the point of hosting something like this in Georgia as long as no Georgian team has a realistic chance.
No money to be made (very low ticket price level) and rugby-awareness already very high. (we know Georgian fill stadium for the Lelos).

I actually couldn't say why one should host an European final in Georgia and what a positive outcome would be.
A totally different thing, when we are talking about a rich EU country like, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, Belgium or, another option even from some financial viewpoints, Switzerland.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 10 Apr 2017, 18:21

Mogliano v Yenisey highlights (6') https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKvsPLrP6EE

Return match will be in Moscow, I think to have understood

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 11 Apr 2017, 02:53

Canalina wrote:Mogliano v Yenisey highlights (6') https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKvsPLrP6EE

Return match will be in Moscow, I think to have understood

From those highlights did Mogliano even get on the scoreboard?

Have to say, everytime I've seen Yenisey play they seem to have this uptempo style to their game that makes for good viewing. They also seems a cut above this level of competition.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 18 Apr 2017, 07:30

The return semifinals, this saturday, should be at the same hour: 14.00 local, 13.00 CET
Enisei promises that its moscovite game against Mogliano will be live streamed, even if they still don't specify where.
No news at the moment about a Timisoara v Krasny streaming

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 08:23

Youtube will show the Enisei match live from Moscow

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Stef » Fri, 21 Apr 2017, 07:06

The game between Timisoara and Kransy Yar will be live on rugbytv.ro .

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 21 Apr 2017, 07:06

Timisoara - Krasny Yar will be broadcasted on https://www.rugbytv.ro/ at 14:00 local timezone (12:00 GMT).

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Fri, 21 Apr 2017, 19:32

amz wrote:Timisoara - Krasny Yar will be broadcasted on https://www.rugbytv.ro/ at 14:00 local timezone (12:00 GMT).

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 21 Apr 2017, 22:49

can you just stick to rugby and spare us of your silly stuff?

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sat, 22 Apr 2017, 04:32

amz wrote:can you just stick to rugby and spare us of your silly stuff?

I can not rid you of stupidity.

However, ask the moderator and he will ban me.

I hope Temishoara will also play rugby not football as in the last game. :D

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sat, 22 Apr 2017, 05:34

I don't want you to be banned :)

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sat, 22 Apr 2017, 05:59

amz wrote:I don't want you to be banned :)

And I do not want to rid you of stupidity!

I propose peace on these terms! :D

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sat, 22 Apr 2017, 06:08

Canalina wrote:Youtube will show the Enisei match live from Moscow

Yenisei today plays the no strongest composition. And I went to the stadium.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sat, 22 Apr 2017, 11:03

alternative link:
https://www.privesc.eu/arhiva/75645

Vova12 wrote:I hope Temishoara will also play rugby not football as in the last game. :D

If Krasny Yar will get rid of those gay shirts :D

National Flag:
AlbaniaAlbania

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Sat, 22 Apr 2017, 11:16

amz wrote:alternative link:
https://www.privesc.eu/arhiva/75645

Vova12 wrote:I hope Temishoara will also play rugby not football as in the last game. :D

If Krasny Yar will get rid of those gay shirts :D

And an early contender for today's most stupid post from an outsider on the betting front...

And I do actually like them.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sat, 22 Apr 2017, 11:29

Zhenya_Zima wrote:And an early contender for today's most stupid post from an outsider on the betting front...

Oh please, after tons of idiotic comments from Vova, especially at the first round, you only notice this one :roll:

National Flag:
AlbaniaAlbania

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Sat, 22 Apr 2017, 11:32

amz wrote:
Zhenya_Zima wrote:And an early contender for today's most stupid post from an outsider on the betting front...

Oh please, after tons of idiotic comments from Vova, especially at the first round, you only notice this one :roll:

That is why I said it was a surprise author! ;)

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sat, 22 Apr 2017, 11:38

You also didn't noticed the context. He made a joke about Timisoara faking, I've made a joke about Krasny Yar shirts :) I think you overreacted, he made a joke, I've made a joke, I don't think it was offensive in any way.

Back on game, shame to Timisoara for not being able to provide a watchable stream in a country with one of the best internet speed world wide

Romania is ranked 10th in the world and 1st in Europe in terms of average Internet peak connection speed with 85 Mbit/s.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 22 Apr 2017, 12:12

Glad to see "EPCR" and "Edinburgh 2017 finals" banners on the stadium in Moscow

Scores at mid-time appear to be
Enisei leading 31-0 (now 36-0)
Krasny leading 14-8

National Flag:
AlbaniaAlbania

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Sat, 22 Apr 2017, 12:56

Yessssssssss!

(Although also a big noooo, because to be honest both of these teams should be in the Challenge Cup next year)

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum