Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

New Japanese pro league

Posts: 6364
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby victorsra » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 19:08

They played the 2018 series, not the 2019.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1654
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 23:23

victorsra wrote:If two or three Japanese teams decide to go full pro (I remember Panasonic Wild Knights was trying that path and some years ago made a private bid to go to Super rUGBY) and SANZAAR realy kicks the Sunwolves out, than suddenly (and not planned) GRR will become the best alternative. An with 2 or 3 Japanese teams, having GRR as the Top level of Japanese rugby, public and media will look at it and the Force will finaly have competition. With 3 or 4 solid teams, the other adventures (teams in risky markets) can be possible because the league woudn't depend on them.

However, all this is a theory. Would the Japanese enter a league controled and funded by one Australian team? That's a big question. Japanese involved would probably demand change on how GRR is funded, lead, etc. I don't know how it is now.


This could be rather significant for Aus Rugby in general. If say 3 or 4 of the current Japanese Top League teams decide to go fully pro and join GRR that could change how it is viewed by the current SR franchises. They were not happy at all about the Sunwolves being dumped and all of them have been forging ties with Japanese Rugby over the past 4-5 years. GRR could be looked at very seriously as an alternative.

Posts: 1654
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 23:25

Tobar wrote:
victorsra wrote:If two or three Japanese teams decide to go full pro (I remember Panasonic Wild Knights was trying that path and some years ago made a private bid to go to Super rUGBY) and SANZAAR realy kicks the Sunwolves out, than suddenly (and not planned) GRR will become the best alternative. An with 2 or 3 Japanese teams, having GRR as the Top level of Japanese rugby, public and media will look at it and the Force will finaly have competition. With 3 or 4 solid teams, the other adventures (teams in risky markets) can be possible because the league woudn't depend on them.

However, all this is a theory. Would the Japanese enter a league controled and funded by one Australian team? That's a big question. Japanese involved would probably demand change on how GRR is funded, lead, etc. I don't know how it is now.


Panasonic already played in the first GRR exhibition league so they’re open to the idea of playing at least. And before this year there were rumors of a Japanese team joining. But if they plan to join with 3 or 4 teams then they would certainly flex their muscles a bit and determine some terms.


Each team would get a seat on the board. So they would be able to work out terms for sure. And I don't think Forrest would be all that fussed with that.

Posts: 6364
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby victorsra » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 01:25

Each team would get a seat on the board. So they would be able to work out terms for sure. And I don't think Forrest would be all that fussed with that.

Yes, but how is it now? Who funds the league? Who owns it?

This could be rather significant for Aus Rugby in general. If say 3 or 4 of the current Japanese Top League teams decide to go fully pro and join GRR that could change how it is viewed by the current SR franchises. They were not happy at all about the Sunwolves being dumped and all of them have been forging ties with Japanese Rugby over the past 4-5 years. GRR could be looked at very seriously as an alternative.

Was South Africa that wanted Japan out, right?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby Tobar » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 02:15

victorsra wrote:They played the 2018 series, not the 2019.


Yes that’s what I said - the first exhibition league which took place in 2018

Posts: 1654
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 02:20

victorsra wrote:
Each team would get a seat on the board. So they would be able to work out terms for sure. And I don't think Forrest would be all that fussed with that.

Yes, but how is it now? Who funds the league? Who owns it?

This could be rather significant for Aus Rugby in general. If say 3 or 4 of the current Japanese Top League teams decide to go fully pro and join GRR that could change how it is viewed by the current SR franchises. They were not happy at all about the Sunwolves being dumped and all of them have been forging ties with Japanese Rugby over the past 4-5 years. GRR could be looked at very seriously as an alternative.

Was South Africa that wanted Japan out, right?


While there's no details as a matter of public record I'd imagine Minderoo which is Forrest's philanthropic arm is. So Forrest is the answer. Not that it would bother him as investment in sports program is a tax deductible activity.

As for the second question. The were a primary driver from all accounts.

User avatar
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 11:27
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby ihateblazers » Sun, 19 Jan 2020, 02:36

Toyota got 37k to watch them beat Panasonic. Jesus, come on Top League you can't stay amateur now. The cats out the bag.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/01/18/rugby/robbie-deans-wild-knights-top-steve-hansens-verblitz/#.XiPAJGgzbcs

Posts: 2179
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby sk 88 » Sun, 19 Jan 2020, 10:00

15,000 in the second tier for Luke Thompson's last game too.

Posts: 6364
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby victorsra » Sun, 19 Jan 2020, 13:41

I'd like to know which teams want full professionalism and who blocked it.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby Tobar » Sun, 19 Jan 2020, 16:42

ihateblazers wrote:Toyota got 37k to watch them beat Panasonic. Jesus, come on Top League you can't stay amateur now. The cats out the bag.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/01/18/rugby/robbie-deans-wild-knights-top-steve-hansens-verblitz/#.XiPAJGgzbcs


To be fair that was Kenki Fukuoka’s last game. It yes, 37,000 is a hell of a lot for a club match and they should embrace professionalism. Enough with the bloated contracts to Super Rugby players looking for a break.

Posts: 6364
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby victorsra » Sun, 19 Jan 2020, 20:13

Image
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1954
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 20 Jan 2020, 02:09

So Kinetsu aren't promoted because the league formation plans are still on?

User avatar
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 11:27
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby ihateblazers » Tue, 21 Jan 2020, 01:51

Tobar wrote:
ihateblazers wrote:Toyota got 37k to watch them beat Panasonic. Jesus, come on Top League you can't stay amateur now. The cats out the bag.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/01/18/rugby/robbie-deans-wild-knights-top-steve-hansens-verblitz/#.XiPAJGgzbcs


To be fair that was Kenki Fukuoka’s last game. It yes, 37,000 is a hell of a lot for a club match and they should embrace professionalism. Enough with the bloated contracts to Super Rugby players looking for a break.


Toyota club playing in Toyota city probably plays a big part too!

Posts: 6364
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby victorsra » Tue, 21 Jan 2020, 02:12

Toyota Verbitz is a very traditional club that has in the squad Kazuki Himeno, Kieran Read and Willie Le Roux and they played the mighty Panasonic Wild Knights that has Shota Horie, Damian De Allende, David Pocock and Sam Whitelock. Pretty big match.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 3034
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby 4N » Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 05:13

26312 at Kobelco vs Suntory.


Posts: 327
Joined: Sat, 26 Apr 2014, 07:43
National Flag:
JapanJapan

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby Hinato » Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 10:02

Nouvelle ligue japonaise de rugby: Les conditions d'entrée connues
https://www.asierugby.com/post/nouvelle ... 9e-connues

Posts: 6364
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby victorsra » Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 13:24

Not dead! Great news!
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 327
Joined: Sat, 26 Apr 2014, 07:43
National Flag:
JapanJapan

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby Hinato » Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 18:56

Hinato wrote:Nouvelle ligue japonaise de rugby: Les conditions d'entrée connues
https://www.asierugby.com/post/nouvelle ... 9e-connues


Mayumi Taniguchi a déjà parlé de 25 équipes entrées en contact. L'une d'elles n'est ni de Top League, ni de Top Challenge League. Ce sont les Sunwolves.

Posts: 6364
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby victorsra » Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 18:59

No possibility of foreign-based teams? If the GRR fails, it would be a great league for Western Force ou South China Tigers, for exemple. Or even for a new Korean pro team. Why not?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 327
Joined: Sat, 26 Apr 2014, 07:43
National Flag:
JapanJapan

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby Hinato » Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 21:04

victorsra wrote:No possibility of foreign-based teams? If the GRR fails, it would be a great league for Western Force ou South China Tigers, for exemple. Or even for a new Korean pro team. Why not?


Non pas d'équipes étrangères. La nouvelle ligue ne sera représentée qu'avec des équipes présentes sur l'archipel, donc japonaises. Pour les sud-coréens, ils vont devoir se tourner vers le Global Rapid Rugby.

Posts: 6364
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby victorsra » Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 21:16

But is there a South Korea plan of a GRR franchise?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 327
Joined: Sat, 26 Apr 2014, 07:43
National Flag:
JapanJapan

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby Hinato » Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 21:33

victorsra wrote:But is there a South Korea plan of a GRR franchise?


Hyundai Glovis veut devenir une franchise pro et l'intégrer. La Corée du sud est dans les plans du Global Rapid Rugby.

Posts: 327
Joined: Sat, 26 Apr 2014, 07:43
National Flag:
JapanJapan

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby Hinato » Wed, 29 Jan 2020, 00:09

Je viens de mettre des exemples de stades pour la future ligue japonaise. Ce que j'ai mis, c'est certain. https://twitter.com/AsieRugby

Posts: 1654
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 29 Jan 2020, 06:28

Hinato wrote:
victorsra wrote:But is there a South Korea plan of a GRR franchise?


Hyundai Glovis veut devenir une franchise pro et l'intégrer. La Corée du sud est dans les plans du Global Rapid Rugby.


Has there been any official about this?

Posts: 3203
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: New Japanese pro league

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 29 Jan 2020, 06:37

Hinato wrote:
Hinato wrote:Nouvelle ligue japonaise de rugby: Les conditions d'entrée connues
https://www.asierugby.com/post/nouvelle ... 9e-connues


Mayumi Taniguchi a déjà parlé de 25 équipes entrées en contact. L'une d'elles n'est ni de Top League, ni de Top Challenge League. Ce sont les Sunwolves.


25 Mannschaften? Ist das wirklich realistisch? Wo kommen die plötzlich her?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ficcp and 10 guests