Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby World Cup 2023 Qualifying

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Rugby World Cup 2023 Qualifying

Postby novac » Fri, 15 Nov 2019, 12:01

I will combine this topic with the one about increasing the participants to the RWC to 24.
We have the 12 already qualified teams. Let's add to these the two Oceania teams, Tonga and Samoa and we have 14. After that add the first four teams from REIC. We have seen this year that there is no problem to have all of them at the final Tournament (ipotetic speaking). I refer to Georgia, Romania, Spain and Rusia. Now we have 18 teams qualified. Now add the winner between USA and Canada and the winner from South America, probably Uruguay. We are at 20 teams already. Add again Africa 1 (Namibia) and we have 21 teams.
Now we need three more places. First one should be a Playoff between the loser from USA-Canada and the second team after Uruguay. The winner goes to RWC. We have 22 qualified teams.
Last two places could be the winner from a Playoff between the loser from America and a second team from Africa and another Playoff between Europe 5 and Asia best team (here it could take place also a Playoff Asia/Oceania like it was last time Hong Kong-Cook Islands). We have seen that Canada and Germany were better than Kenya and Hong Kong at last Repechage, so it should be avoided a direct Playoff between America and Europe teams.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 15 Nov 2019, 12:39

novac wrote:I will combine this topic with the one about increasing the participants to the RWC to 24.
We have the 12 already qualified teams. Let's add to these the two Oceania teams, Tonga and Samoa and we have 14. After that add the first four teams from REIC. We have seen this year that there is no problem to have all of them at the final Tournament (ipotetic speaking). I refer to Georgia, Romania, Spain and Rusia. Now we have 18 teams qualified. Now add the winner between USA and Canada and the winner from South America, probably Uruguay. We are at 20 teams already. Add again Africa 1 (Namibia) and we have 21 teams.
Now we need three more places. First one should be a Playoff between the loser from USA-Canada and the second team after Uruguay. The winner goes to RWC. We have 22 qualified teams.
Last two places could be the winner from a Playoff between the loser from America and a second team from Africa and another Playoff between Europe 5 and Asia best team (here it could take place also a Playoff Asia/Oceania like it was last time Hong Kong-Cook Islands). We have seen that Canada and Germany were better than Kenya and Hong Kong at last Repechage, so it should be avoided a direct Playoff between America and Europe teams.

It is better suited here indeed.
The Americas playoff is history as I understand it. The teams will now qualify through the America 6N, which is so much better than the current playoff.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 15 Nov 2019, 13:43

Yes, Americas Rugby Championship is the qualy path now.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 19 Nov 2019, 14:18

The 2021 and 2022 seasons to be precise. So teams can test players in the 2020 edition.

Postby Raven » Tue, 19 Nov 2019, 17:18

novac wrote:I will combine this topic with the one about increasing the participants to the RWC to 24.

I´ll join you in the experiment. Knowing that this is very unlikely to be true as the RWC won´t be expanded in this cycle, but for a sake of arguement.

novac wrote:We have the 12 already qualified teams. Let's add to these the two Oceania teams, Tonga and Samoa and we have 14. After that add the first four teams from REIC. We have seen this year that there is no problem to have all of them at the final Tournament (ipotetic speaking). I refer to Georgia, Romania, Spain and Russia. Now we have 18 teams qualified.

I agree that all these can pull their weight but giving 2 extra spots and a play off / repechage place to Europe might be a bit too much. I´d say Europe 1, 2 and 3 direct qualif. Europe 4 to a Play Off.

Making it 17 as per my count.

For the remaining participants I´ll change what you said above for the following; "add the winner & second American Rugby Championship teams (excluding Argentina XV), where we´ll probably see USA and (likely to be) Uruguay".

We are at 19 teams already. Add again Africa 1 (ie. Namibia) and we have 20 teams.

Up to there, with a mere semantic difference, we have almost the same amount of teams & practically the same countries.

But we now need four more places, for which I would go for something like this:
(taking also the recent experiments done by WR)

Qual 1 - Playoff between the 3rd ARC team (ie: Canada) & Europe 4 (ie. Russia). Winner to RWC, loser to Repechage.
Qual 2 - Playoff between Africa 2 (ie: Kenya) & Asia 1 (ie: Hong Kong). Winner to RWC, loser to Repechage.

Pl Off for Repechage seed (to get a place in the repechage, no direct qualification to RWC)
Rep 1 - Africa 3 (ie: Zimbabwe) v Asia 2 (ie: Korea). Winner to Repechage.
Rep 2 - ARC 4th (ie: Brazil) v Oceania 3 (ie: Cook Islands). Winner to Repechage.

Lastly, the Final Repechage 4 teams round robin:
Loser of Qual 1 (Canada / Russia)
Loser of Qual 2 (Kenya / HK)
Winner Rep 1 (ZIM / KOR)
Winner Rep 2 (BRA / CKI)

The first 2 of the tourney make it to the RWC.

I think something like this would be pretty fair?

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 21 Nov 2019, 17:52

The 2023 World Cup will have 20 teams, so please don't merge the threads.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum