Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby World Cup 2023 Qualifying

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Rugby World Cup 2023 Qualifying

Postby novac » Fri, 15 Nov 2019, 12:01

I will combine this topic with the one about increasing the participants to the RWC to 24.
We have the 12 already qualified teams. Let's add to these the two Oceania teams, Tonga and Samoa and we have 14. After that add the first four teams from REIC. We have seen this year that there is no problem to have all of them at the final Tournament (ipotetic speaking). I refer to Georgia, Romania, Spain and Rusia. Now we have 18 teams qualified. Now add the winner between USA and Canada and the winner from South America, probably Uruguay. We are at 20 teams already. Add again Africa 1 (Namibia) and we have 21 teams.
Now we need three more places. First one should be a Playoff between the loser from USA-Canada and the second team after Uruguay. The winner goes to RWC. We have 22 qualified teams.
Last two places could be the winner from a Playoff between the loser from America and a second team from Africa and another Playoff between Europe 5 and Asia best team (here it could take place also a Playoff Asia/Oceania like it was last time Hong Kong-Cook Islands). We have seen that Canada and Germany were better than Kenya and Hong Kong at last Repechage, so it should be avoided a direct Playoff between America and Europe teams.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 15 Nov 2019, 12:39

novac wrote:I will combine this topic with the one about increasing the participants to the RWC to 24.
We have the 12 already qualified teams. Let's add to these the two Oceania teams, Tonga and Samoa and we have 14. After that add the first four teams from REIC. We have seen this year that there is no problem to have all of them at the final Tournament (ipotetic speaking). I refer to Georgia, Romania, Spain and Rusia. Now we have 18 teams qualified. Now add the winner between USA and Canada and the winner from South America, probably Uruguay. We are at 20 teams already. Add again Africa 1 (Namibia) and we have 21 teams.
Now we need three more places. First one should be a Playoff between the loser from USA-Canada and the second team after Uruguay. The winner goes to RWC. We have 22 qualified teams.
Last two places could be the winner from a Playoff between the loser from America and a second team from Africa and another Playoff between Europe 5 and Asia best team (here it could take place also a Playoff Asia/Oceania like it was last time Hong Kong-Cook Islands). We have seen that Canada and Germany were better than Kenya and Hong Kong at last Repechage, so it should be avoided a direct Playoff between America and Europe teams.

It is better suited here indeed.
The Americas playoff is history as I understand it. The teams will now qualify through the America 6N, which is so much better than the current playoff.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 15 Nov 2019, 13:43

Yes, Americas Rugby Championship is the qualy path now.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 19 Nov 2019, 14:18

The 2021 and 2022 seasons to be precise. So teams can test players in the 2020 edition.

Postby Raven » Tue, 19 Nov 2019, 17:18

novac wrote:I will combine this topic with the one about increasing the participants to the RWC to 24.

I´ll join you in the experiment. Knowing that this is very unlikely to be true as the RWC won´t be expanded in this cycle, but for a sake of arguement.

novac wrote:We have the 12 already qualified teams. Let's add to these the two Oceania teams, Tonga and Samoa and we have 14. After that add the first four teams from REIC. We have seen this year that there is no problem to have all of them at the final Tournament (ipotetic speaking). I refer to Georgia, Romania, Spain and Russia. Now we have 18 teams qualified.

I agree that all these can pull their weight but giving 2 extra spots and a play off / repechage place to Europe might be a bit too much. I´d say Europe 1, 2 and 3 direct qualif. Europe 4 to a Play Off.

Making it 17 as per my count.

For the remaining participants I´ll change what you said above for the following; "add the winner & second American Rugby Championship teams (excluding Argentina XV), where we´ll probably see USA and (likely to be) Uruguay".

We are at 19 teams already. Add again Africa 1 (ie. Namibia) and we have 20 teams.

Up to there, with a mere semantic difference, we have almost the same amount of teams & practically the same countries.

But we now need four more places, for which I would go for something like this:
(taking also the recent experiments done by WR)

Qual 1 - Playoff between the 3rd ARC team (ie: Canada) & Europe 4 (ie. Russia). Winner to RWC, loser to Repechage.
Qual 2 - Playoff between Africa 2 (ie: Kenya) & Asia 1 (ie: Hong Kong). Winner to RWC, loser to Repechage.

Pl Off for Repechage seed (to get a place in the repechage, no direct qualification to RWC)
Rep 1 - Africa 3 (ie: Zimbabwe) v Asia 2 (ie: Korea). Winner to Repechage.
Rep 2 - ARC 4th (ie: Brazil) v Oceania 3 (ie: Cook Islands). Winner to Repechage.

Lastly, the Final Repechage 4 teams round robin:
Loser of Qual 1 (Canada / Russia)
Loser of Qual 2 (Kenya / HK)
Winner Rep 1 (ZIM / KOR)
Winner Rep 2 (BRA / CKI)

The first 2 of the tourney make it to the RWC.

I think something like this would be pretty fair?

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 21 Nov 2019, 17:52

The 2023 World Cup will have 20 teams, so please don't merge the threads.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Sat, 18 Jan 2020, 10:24

It was about this time in 2016 that the process was officially announced. Maybe we will have some information soon.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 18 Jan 2020, 12:48

It will be 20 teams from the 2019 RWC plus Spain and Romania, minus Russia (banned for doping). So one of these teams will miss out: Romania, Spain, Canada.
Namibia will qualify unless Algeria form their best team of French professionals.
The only teams not taking part in 2019 with any realistic chance of qualifying are Spain, Romania and Algeria, unless there are a lot of teams disqualified, in which case maybe Brazil, Portugal and Belgium have a chance.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 18 Jan 2020, 16:50

No ban has been confirmed for Russia. I would fully expect them there.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 18 Jan 2020, 17:02

Isn't the ban only for Olympic sports?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 18 Jan 2020, 18:09

They are banned from all major international sporting events for 4 years. Only the FIFA world cup and the Olympics are more major than the Rugby World Cup.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 18 Jan 2020, 18:13

Yes, but Football is Olympic. Is Rugby 15s included?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 18 Jan 2020, 18:13

Yeah... Wait until it happens. It's not even clear it will affect them in Sevens World Series.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 07:42

I think many of us had been hoping World Rugby would eventually graduate to a proper random draw for its showpiece event, live on TV within a year or so of the tournament, for instance, a la FIFA. Alas no, they've gone in completely the opposite direction, and will instead devise the pools once again - this time three years out from the event! So the rankings used as the basis for this will have become entirely irrelevant by the time of the World Cup itself, and as usual it will follow the Autumn tours, at which point Southern Hemisphere teams are invariably at a nadir, having sent their experimental squads to Europe at the end of a long season to top up the coffers of their respective national unions.

There will be the usual excuse of the logistics involved but that doesn't stack up.
Rugby should take a leaf from football with the FIFA World Cup draw which is often held only six months out from the tournament, producing a far fairer reflection of standings heading into its global showpiece.
Football's World Cup is a far biggger beast to handle than rugby's equivalent, yet they seem to cope.
Adding to the rugby madness is that eight of the 20 teams entered into the draw in November won't even be known – they still have to come through a long and involved qualification process.
As it stands, the heavyweight teams now have less than a year to sort themselves out for a tournament that is still way over the horizon.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/int ... 4z7FU05N00

https://www.world.rugby/news/555584

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby ihateblazers » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 08:08

Most likely a lack of confidence from World Rugby to be able to sell tickets. Considering 2023 will be in France and a guaraneed sell out it's a stupid decision. Third biggest event in the world my ass.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 08:25

Still, it does mean that every international match played in 2020 is important. Coaches can't use the excuse that they're rebuilding. Every game involving the top 12 teams is in effect a qualifying match for 2023.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 10:15

Oh for crying out loud. How on earth they can do this again is beyond me. You could easily get England, Ireland and Scotland in one pool, and New Zealand, Australia and Argentina in another. The rankings are unlikely to shift dramatically by November. Honestly, if tickets to the RWC can't be sold 18 months prior to the tournament then it really isn't as big as WR would want people to think it is.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 17:02

Chester-Donnelly wrote:Still, it does mean that every international match played in 2020 is important. Coaches can't use the excuse that they're rebuilding. Every game involving the top 12 teams is in effect a qualifying match for 2023.

Yeah but... the year immediately following a World Cup is the perfect time to rebuild. Coaches need times to try out new formations. Going from one WC cycle directly into the next has got to be frustrating.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 18:20

thatrugbyguy wrote:Oh for crying out loud. How on earth they can do this again is beyond me. You could easily get England, Ireland and Scotland in one pool, and New Zealand, Australia and Argentina in another. The rankings are unlikely to shift dramatically by November. Honestly, if tickets to the RWC can't be sold 18 months prior to the tournament then it really isn't as big as WR would want people to think it is.

Yes, bizarre.

I would understand if they decided to draw the groups in November 2021. It would be ok to have one season between draw and the RWC year. It would taste as preparation, ok. But more than this, no.

Trying to understand the reasons, I woudn't be surprised if they fear the Home Nations can lose points in July 2021 because of the Lions and, therefore, they want the draw in 2020. Obviously it could be solved not giving test status to Home Nations tests during the Lions.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 18:50

The top seeds should be the teams most likely to win the world cup. Sometimes Wales are ranked in the top four, sometimes Ireland are, and obviously anything is possible, but realistically New Zealand, South Africa, Australia and England are the teams that can win a world cup. Maybe France can win in 2023 but the top 4 seeds should be the four Nations that have won it. Of course I do enjoy a pool of death as long as it's not England being knocked out by Australia and Wales.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 08:58

Looks like Beaumont already plays the old Empire games on Pichot and World Rugby starts to "forget" about informing everyone.
Pichot dislikes the drawing and says he didn't know on Twitter

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2020/0 ... r-rwc-2023
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 10:07

What the actual fuck? How the hell is the Vice-Chairmen of the game completely out of the loop on this? This organisation is the laughing stock of sport.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 10:40

thatrugbyguy wrote:What the actual fuck? How the hell is the Vice-Chairmen of the game completely out of the loop on this? This organisation is the laughing stock of sport.

Whole conversation
https://twitter.com/AP9_/status/1222890654260289538

Also Pichot: "Sorry [...] got some more info, from RWC board; not steve brown steve tew or michael hawker knew maybe @TomCruise will film it next time for MI ... "
https://twitter.com/AP9_/status/1223034563154337795

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 13:53

What will do Pichot after leaving WR is a very interesting question. He's pissed off, clearly, but not sure he'll give up...

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 14:08

Well, I presume 2018 left some questions mark concerning Pichot. Also that world league he was planning looked like a closed shop, even more for T2. I don't mind if he goes.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum