Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Japan Rugby

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 10 Dec 2018, 23:44

Amargo wrote:I am just watching the semis of the Top League (Yamaha vs Santory went to overtime) ans was wondering what's the problem with further developing this league. I see good crowds, it's air on TV, I've found several bars showing it, some big names (Gitteau v/s Goromaru in this game). I'm sure there should be a reason for looking abroad.

Unrelated question. The have some golden point rule for overtime? I really didn't like that.

There's an opportunity to really look to push the Top League post RWC 2019. Especially if Japan put in a strong showing.

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby DotJP » Tue, 18 Dec 2018, 10:01

DotJP wrote:Schedule until RWC

Domestic matches
December 2018 : TopLeague ranking tournament
January 2019 : TopLeague Cup ranking tournament

International matches
from February to June : Super Rugby
from late in July to early in August : Pacific Nations Cup
(rumour) the last week of August and first week of September : Warm-up matches

Addition

Domestic matches
From June to August 2019 : TopLeague Cup tournament

International matches(in Japan Time)
Pacific Nations Cup 2019
27 July, Japan v Fiji at Kamaishi Rugby Stadium(Iwate)
3 August, Japan v Tonga at Hanazono Rugby Stadium(Osaka)
10 August, USA v Japan at ANZ Stadium(Fiji)

Warm-up match
6 September, Japan v South Africa at Kumagaya Rugby Stadium(Saitama)

About Nations Championship
A Japan media said World Rugby offered Japan to attend NC 2022 and JRFU thought positive about it but were worried about the competition method.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby ShyLockNo5 » Tue, 18 Dec 2018, 16:31

Amargo wrote:I am just watching the semis of the Top League (Yamaha vs Santory went to overtime) ans was wondering what's the problem with further developing this league. I see good crowds, it's air on TV, I've found several bars showing it, some big names (Gitteau v/s Goromaru in this game). I'm sure there should be a reason for looking abroad.

Unrelated question. The have some golden point rule for overtime? I really didn't like that.

Is Goromaru out of the picture for Japan? How come?

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby DotJP » Mon, 04 Mar 2019, 17:01

Pacific Challenge 2019
at ANZ Stadium(Suva, Fiji)

8, March
Junior Japan v Samoa A
Fiji Warriors v Tonga A

12, March
Tonga A v Samoa A
Fiji Warriors v Junior Japan

16, March
Tonga A v Junior Japan
Fiji Warriors v Samoa A

https://www.world.rugby/tournament/1927

Postby 4N » Fri, 08 Mar 2019, 13:25

Sunwolves apparently on the chopping block.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super ... uper-rugby

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 08 Mar 2019, 21:10

4N wrote:Sunwolves apparently on the chopping block.

:lol: Why would they want to continue in a country of 120m, in the perfect timezone for Aus/NZ and that in 2015 had more people watch a rugby match than live in Australia or NZ combined?

But its the rotten European clubs that are fucking their finances. :roll:

Postby 4N » Fri, 08 Mar 2019, 22:08

If that’s not enough, Japan were just talking about how the timing of the World League will be difficult for them without Super Rugby.

Jamie Joseph wrote:“It will be tough, but if we can improve the Sunwolves and get that team sorted out properly and (Japanese) players can all play Super Rugby year in, year out, then yeah, in the future, why not?” he said of Japan’s participation in the league.

At least the Aussies are making the right call for once, they want them to stay.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 09 Mar 2019, 02:45

4N wrote:Sunwolves apparently on the chopping block.

If they are cut I'd like to see them move across to GRR. Not that I think they should be cut. They've shown good form so far this season. They've been hamstrung by having to play 'home' games away from home to suit others and from constant rotation of talent. If seem to have found a solid core now and are producing some really good Rugby. I'm not a betting man but I've put a sneaky $50 on them to beat the Blues. If they want to go to the straight round robin then fine but keep the Sunwolves involved.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 09 Mar 2019, 02:46

4N wrote:If that’s not enough, Japan were just talking about how the timing of the World League will be difficult for them without Super Rugby.

Jamie Joseph wrote:“It will be tough, but if we can improve the Sunwolves and get that team sorted out properly and (Japanese) players can all play Super Rugby year in, year out, then yeah, in the future, why not?” he said of Japan’s participation in the league.

At least the Aussies are making the right call for once, they want them to stay.

Because last season proved that from an Australian perspective the actually rate and can pull a crowd. The Tahs season high of 18k came from their hosting of the Sunwolves. Certainly more of interest than pretty much all of the SA teams.

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby Hinato » Sat, 09 Mar 2019, 05:28

Working Class Rugger wrote:
4N wrote:If that’s not enough, Japan were just talking about how the timing of the World League will be difficult for them without Super Rugby.

Because last season proved that from an Australian perspective the actually rate and can pull a crowd. The Tahs season high of 18k came from their hosting of the Sunwolves. Certainly more of interest than pretty much all of the SA teams.

Surtout pas le Global Rapid Rugby! Ce sera le même foutoir avec les clubs corpos de Top League! Les japonais doivent se concentrer sur leur championnat et le renforcer (en réduisant notamment le nombre de clubs). Ils ont de quoi en faire un championnat encore plus solide.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sat, 30 Mar 2019, 17:22

https://amp.rnz.co.nz/article/9541a0dc- ... 16908f939b
Interesting article about Japanese rugby the the issues they are facing at youth level

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 01 Apr 2019, 06:49

iul wrote:https://amp.rnz.co.nz/article/9541a0dc-8c78-41ae-8fdc-9816908f939b
Interesting article about Japanese rugby the the issues they are facing at youth level

How are they doing it in the USA? If I am not wrong, the USA school system is quite a mirror of the US system. Are there a lot of youth clubs around?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby DotJP » Wed, 24 Apr 2019, 18:42

OCEANIA RUGBY U20 CHAMPIONSHIP
at Bond University, Australia

Round 1: 26, Apr
New Zealand U20s v Fiji U20s
Australia U20s v Japan U20s

Round 2: 30, Apr
New Zealand U20s v Japan U20s
Australia U20s v Fiji U20s

Round 3: 4, May
Japan U20s v Fiji U20s
New Zealand U20s v Australia U20s

*This time, there are three club team players from Japan team.
PROP, Gun TAJIMA, Kamaishi Sea Waves
NO8, Shota Fukui, Panasonic Wild Knights(Captain)
CTB, Taihei Kusaka, Kobe Steel

*Links:
http://www.oceaniarugby.com
https://www.rugby-japan.jp/news/2019/04/19/49857

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby DotJP » Thu, 25 Apr 2019, 17:27

(Draft) Main contents of reorganizing of Japanese Top League(=Top League Next)

1, Three division system* and one division has eight teams.
2, Not professional league.
3, The season will be from January to May.
4, Club teams should be more community-based.
5, The new top league will be separated from JRFU as a corporation.
6, The new format will be started from 2022( or 2021?).
7, JRFU hopes to decide them finally in August.

*Now Top League has 16 teams and Top Challenge League has 8 teams as division 2.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 26 Apr 2019, 00:40

DotJP wrote:(Draft) Main contents of reorganizing of Japanese Top League(=Top League Next)

*Now Top League has 16 teams and Top Challenge League has 8 teams as division 2.

Sorry, are you saying that they are planning on making it entirely amateur? Seems odd. Mainly because that would seem like a regression.

Apart from that. Everything else seems fair enough.

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby DotJP » Fri, 26 Apr 2019, 21:03

DotJP wrote:(Draft) Main contents of reorganizing of Japanese Top League(=Top League Next)

Sorry, are you saying that they are planning on making it entirely amateur? Seems odd. Mainly because that would seem like a regression.

It is a debatable point in Japan too, and I needed to check the issue.
The answer is No. They can't make the new professional league, even though they know it is necessary for Japan. As the present Japanese circumstances,

ⅰ, about 70% (Japanese?) players are amateur.
ⅱ, the rates of professional players in teams are largely different in the league.
ⅲ, players who make professional contracts are decreasing these days.

So, they can't make it. They would maintain the current league system in this point. And they said it depends on club teams whether players are professional or not. In addition to them, it is said by some media that Sunwolves is a role model for top league teams in order to change into professional leagues, but they are going to lose that guideline because of axing Sunwolves.

Apart from this issue and talking about Sunwolves, the other day, JRFU admitted some executives had opposed challenging Super Rugby. So many Japanese fans are disappointed in it and their attitude which is disunited inside but dogmatic outside, and habitus of keeping things secret. JRFU will change executives in June, but we don't know how they change.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 26 Apr 2019, 21:07

So basically all of the progress Japan has made will crumble? That's what it sounds like. If you don't have a professional league then there will be a significant step back.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Immenso » Tue, 04 Jun 2019, 01:04

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/sport/391169 ... ing-affair

Increasing links at lower levels between Japan and NZ.

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby DotJP » Tue, 18 Jun 2019, 16:30

The average attendance at home matches* ** and records of Sunwolves.

2019(6 matches:0W, total:2W 14L)

2018(6 matches:1W, total:3W 13L)

2017(4 matches:2W, total:2W 13L)

2016(5 matches:1W, total:1W 13L 1D)

*the seating capacity is 24,871
**excluding Singapore and Hong Kong matches

Postby Raven » Tue, 18 Jun 2019, 16:36

So the RWC fever brought a few extra fans to the Stadium this year!

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby DotJP » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 17:09

DotJP wrote:

It is a debatable point in Japan too, and I needed to check the issue.
The answer is No. They can't make the new professional league, even though they know it is necessary for Japan. As the present Japanese circumstances,

ⅰ, about 70% (Japanese?) players are amateur.
ⅱ, the rates of professional players in teams are largely different in the league.
ⅲ, players who make professional contracts are decreasing these days.

So, they can't make it. They would maintain the current league system in this point. And they said it depends on club teams whether players are professional or not. In addition to them, it is said by some media that Sunwolves is a role model for top league teams in order to change into professional leagues, but they are going to lose that guideline because of axing Sunwolves.

Apart from this issue and talking about Sunwolves, the other day, JRFU admitted some executives had opposed challenging Super Rugby. So many Japanese fans are disappointed in it and their attitude which is disunited inside but dogmatic outside, and habitus of keeping things secret. JRFU will change executives in June, but we don't know how they change.

In addition.

For a long time, JRFU has been occupied by conservatives, and their basic policy was amateurism and focusing on domestic competitions. But JRFU held an important governing board at 29, June. And many executives were changed, and now reformists occupy it(Link: https://www.rugby-japan.jp/news/2019/06/29/49999). It was a happy day for reformists of Japan rugby( I stand for this position).

The new chairman and vice chairman claimed they wanted to introduce professional systems into Top League. Some people says the draft is not functioning yet, and the new chairman said nothing was decided. But clubs are already reinforcing players from overseas. So I think it is still alive. So, I correct changed points of the draft this time. But I think this changed draft may be going to be changed too.

2, Not professional league.→professional league in the future*.
3, The season will be from January to May.→The season will be for 9 months in the future.
6, The new format will be started from 2022.

And they talked about international matches, and they hope to increase international matches including club levels.

These are not all, but I haven't completely grasped other informations yet.

*He said he aims for introducing a professional league system in the future.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 03 Jul 2019, 14:35

DotJP wrote:But clubs are already reinforcing players from overseas.

DotJP wrote:3, The season will be from January to May.→The season will be for 9 months in the future.

DotJP wrote:*He said he aims for introducing a professional league system in the future.

I would bet money, that in 5-10 years SANZAAR will deeply regret that they held the Sunwolves at ransom until they decided to denie the "offer" and leave Super Rugby.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby DotJP » Wed, 03 Jul 2019, 18:17

RugbyLiebe wrote:
DotJP wrote:But clubs are already reinforcing players from overseas.

DotJP wrote:3, The season will be from January to May.→The season will be for 9 months in the future.

DotJP wrote:*He said he aims for introducing a professional league system in the future.

I would bet money, that in 5-10 years SANZAAR will deeply regret that they held the Sunwolves at ransom until they decided to denie the "offer" and leave Super Rugby.

Sunwolves made new values to Japan rugby. This team is the first professional team in Japan, is not a company-based team, and many attendances are new fans not watching Top-League and college rugby. And their way of cheering, "Awoooo!", is so unique, and I have never seen this style in Japan. I can't be going to see them, this is a sad thing.

Postby Raven » Wed, 03 Jul 2019, 18:50

RugbyLiebe wrote:I would bet money, that in 5-10 years SANZAAR will deeply regret that they held the Sunwolves at ransom until they decided to denie the "offer" and leave Super Rugby.

On a same certainty I would say that SANZAAR may as well revise their entire "Super" League system. We haven´t seen the last of Japan in SANZAAR either as talks of expanding Rugby Championship are louder with Japan and Fiji being the stronger candidates.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Edgar » Wed, 03 Jul 2019, 19:53

I doubt that will happen and wouldn't want to see SANZAAR become a World League-minus-Europe anyway. That's a recipe for shrinking the game at the top level. & Japan are still going to get smashed by the All Blacks.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum