Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Japan Rugby

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 04 Aug 2018, 06:29

YamahaKiwi wrote:Probably Suntory as with Pana they have consistently been the top two teams in Japan, on and off the field in the last decade. Possibly could be Kobe, Yamaha, Canon, or NEC etc but doubtful.

I thought may be Suntory.

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby DotJP » Thu, 13 Sep 2018, 17:14

Autumn test matches +α

In Japan(in Japan time)
26 October, Japan XV v World XV in Osaka
*27 October, New Zealand v Australia (Bledisloe Cup, Match 3) in Yokohama
3 November, Japan v New Zealand in Tokyo

In England(in England time)
17 November, England v Japan in London
24 November, Russia v Japan in Gloucester

*** Ticket Information ***
Latest general ticket sales ballot for RWC2019 will start from 19th September to 12th November.
https://www.worldrugby.org/news/363201

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Thu, 13 Sep 2018, 19:19

Why is Russia playing Japan in Gloucester? That seems far for both countries involved. It's adding unnecessary travel for both teams. I guess it makes sense because Japan is playing in London the following week.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 13 Sep 2018, 20:06

I don't see any sense. Why not Sochi or Krasnodar?

Or even a place like Vladivostok, as the Japanese will return home in the following week. I know rugby is not important in Vladivostok, but how many times a national team of any sport plays there? Better than Gloucester.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 13 Sep 2018, 20:46

victorsra wrote:I don't see any sense. Why not Sochi or Krasnodar?

Or even a place like Vladivostok, as the Japanese will return home in the following week. I know rugby is not important in Vladivostok, but how many times a national team of any sport plays there? Better than Gloucester.

Why would the Japanese return home if the Match is in England. They stay put and just Russia moves.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 13 Sep 2018, 20:51

dude, look at the calendar, the match against Russia is the last test. They will return home to play for their Top League clubs in the following weekend.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby DotJP » Fri, 14 Sep 2018, 10:06

Tobar wrote:Why is Russia playing Japan in Gloucester? That seems far for both countries involved. It's adding unnecessary travel for both teams. I guess it makes sense because Japan is playing in London the following week.

Actually, JRFU have not announced that Japan will play Russia at 24th Nov yet. Just a few media told the new match in Japan. So I don't know the reason. However, 26th Oct and 3th, 17th Nov matches had already been announced officially until about a month ago(https://www.rugby-japan.jp/news/2018/08/03/49358). So I guess the 24th Nov match was made in a hurry.
On the other hand, England has much grounds and is accustomed to host other countries matches. So I think it was easier to set the match in England( and Japan team played Gloucester Rugby(a club team) in Gloucester in 2013, and the team have an experience to do there).

"It's adding unnecessary travel for both teams."

Maybe because there are a difference among the number of spectators, Japan team might need another place to play.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 14 Sep 2018, 10:09

TheStroBro wrote:
victorsra wrote:I don't see any sense. Why not Sochi or Krasnodar?

Why would the Japanese return home if the Match is in England. They stay put and just Russia moves.

Exactly. Returning home is more or less killing the spirit of the tour. You are back at home, but stay with the team? Kind of sucks and everybody is only waiiting to go their families.
Playing in Russia means adjusting to an additional time-zone, which definitely will take its toll. From a Japanese POV, this is absolutely logical.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby rugby-veterinarian » Wed, 03 Oct 2018, 07:30

Japan’s 2015 win over Boks to hit big screen, “The Brighton Miracle”

https://www.planetrugby.com/news/japans ... ig-screen/

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 03 Oct 2018, 08:39

That's hilarious and awesome, lol.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Thu, 04 Oct 2018, 06:20

As long as we don't have to endure Matt Damon's South African accent it will be good.

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby DotJP » Sat, 20 Oct 2018, 14:42

Results of the league match of Top League 2018-2019

Red Conference
1 Kobe Kobelco Steelers
2 Suntory Sungolirath
3 Toyota Verblitz
4 NTT-com Shiningarcs

5 NEC Greenrockets
6 Toyota Shokki Shuttles
7 Hino Reddolphins
8 Munakata Sanix Blues

White Conference
1 Yamaha Jubilo
2 Panasonic Wildknights
3 Kubota Spears
4 Ricoh Blackrams

5 Honda Heat
6 Toshiba Bravelupus
7 Canon Eagles
8 Coca Cola Redsparks

Winners are in bold type.
Detail: http://www.top-league.jp/standings/2018/

Play Off
Kobe v Ricoh
Toyota v Panasonic
Suntory v Kubota
NTT-com v Yamaha

Detail: http://www.top-league.jp/2018/10/20/po_tournament/

*How to watch matches
DAZN
J Sports-Ondemand

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby JRugbyPodcast » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 21:48

ENG v JAPAN EPISODE OUT NOW! With the Autumn internationals in full swing, JRugbyPodcast catches up with Kyodo News journalist Rich Freeman to discuss Japan's performances so far and to look ahead to the weekend's match against England at Twickenham. We discuss Eddie's recent comments, the Japanese squad, and wrap things up with a short quiz. https://soundcloud.com/user-260271034/4 ... onals-2018 #rugbyjp #rugby #EngRugby #EnglandRugby #rugbynz #BraveBlossoms

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby DotJP » Sun, 02 Dec 2018, 18:48

Schedule until RWC

Domestic matches
December 2018 : TopLeague ranking tournament
January 2019 : TopLeague Cup ranking tournament

International matches
from February to June : Super Rugby
from late in July to early in August : Pacific Nations Cup
(rumour) the last week of August and first week of September : Warm-up matches

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Mon, 03 Dec 2018, 12:16

Do you have news other than this?
SANZAAR to axe Sunwolves from Super Rugby? https://www.planetrugby.com/news/sanzaa ... per-rugby/

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 03 Dec 2018, 13:08

Honestly, they'd probably be better off in the Rapid Rugby competition.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 03 Dec 2018, 14:39

I completely agree, closer level of play and they can become a real stakeholder rather than the perennial #15 team.

I seem to recall, possibly on this forum, that Japan was planning on ending the Sunwolves (or at least taking them out of Super Rugby) after the RWC. WCRugger joined me on Reddit saying things I remember hearing (that it was too expensive) so it makes me think I wasn’t making that up.

Would be good to see the Sunwolves join GRR rather than fold into Top League teams.

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby DotJP » Mon, 03 Dec 2018, 18:47

BigG wrote:Do you have news other than this?
SANZAAR to axe Sunwolves from Super Rugby? https://www.planetrugby.com/news/sanzaa ... per-rugby/

Sorry, I don't have any news.

JRFU said the contract was basically for five years. That means from 2016 to 2020. But I think if the contract is over it means Sunwolves will be axed.

And only SANZAAR can decide how Super Rugby should be. So I hope you keep up with English media. I have a friend who is a rugby player, and he said many Japanese players don't know this so much.

I often go to Chichibunomiya rugby stadium to watch games including Sunwolves ones. So I feel sad about this news. But, at the same time, I understand it and feel the team doesn't go well rather than college rugby and Top League teams, because they can't win and get fans well. I think this may justify that news.

However, I also wonder what growing worldwide(World Rugby said) means. Of course, I know the next RWC held in Japan means it. But axing a tier 2 team doesn't mean it. But as a rugby fan, I can understand tier 1 fans hate matches with a large point difference and sometimes those matches were occurred by the team.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching Super Rugby and watching Jaba Bregvadze too in Japan again. He is a great Hooker.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 05 Dec 2018, 09:06

Lets face it: many rugby fans in all former Commonwealth countries are among the short-sighted people you will ever read. There are off course a lot honourable exceptions. But I fear this is shamefully the norm if you read about rugby anywhere on social medias.

They have no patience with new teams, they started whining the first minute a new team came up. And if the team does better there's is silence, until the team loses again, then the cry for axing comes up. That rugby isn't bigger is solely and absolutely solely due to this attitude also being installed in World Rugby for decades and decades. One could say that they are xenophobic to "foreign" countries who have not been governed by an english monarch before. This is quite unique as this is the only xenophobia I know about which is not about culture but only, if they were united under one sovereign anytime in history before.

Especially New Zealand is shooting themselves in the foot mid-to-long-term. The brand All Blacks relies on foreign money to sustain the excellent professional level they have reached. If they other nations finally catch up, it will be interesting if i.e. the deal with Adidas or AIG will bring as much money in.
Don't get me wrong they will always be a major contender, but this dominance in the last year is due to the amazing things they've done with the money coming in from outside of NZ.

The axing of the Sunwolves cannot be in the interest of NZ and OZ as they need them as a strategic partner if SA goes North to Europe. If that happens they need new tv money and that's not coming from OZ, the PI or NZ itself. Japan is there Faustpfand (no english word for it, means to keep some security in your hand in case you need it).

Apart from that I think the Sunwolves do quite fine, especially with the idiotic idea that some of their home games are played in Singapore, which killed off a lot of their marketing potential in Japan. (I mean nobody wants England to play home games in Dubai, but yet it is about the same distance as Tokio-> Singapore). Yeah, I know travelling issues, but come on. IF there was a real will, there would have been a way.

Actually I think a smart move would be to install a second Japanese team (if there are more PI players, fair enough) and therefore reduce travelling costs with two subsequent away games in Japan. But my very pessimistic expection is that the Sunwolves will be axed.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 05 Dec 2018, 11:54

I'd be willing to bet Forrest would offer them a lifeline with Rapid Rugby. It's likely his competition will already used the established Fiji Drua side from the NRC as that nations representative, so it's entirely possible he would extend the invitation to the Sunwolves as they've already got an established brand name.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby ShyLockNo5 » Wed, 05 Dec 2018, 13:12

RugbyLiebe wrote:Lets face it: many rugby fans in all former Commonwealth countries are among the short-sighted people you will ever read. There are off course a lot honourable exceptions. But I fear this is shamefully the norm if you read about rugby anywhere on social medias.

They have no patience with new teams, they started whining the first minute a new team came up. And if the team does better there's is silence, until the team loses again, then the cry for axing comes up. That rugby isn't bigger is solely and absolutely solely due to this attitude also being installed in World Rugby for decades and decades. One could say that they are xenophobic to "foreign" countries who have not been governed by an english monarch before. This is quite unique as this is the only xenophobia I know about which is not about culture but only, if they were united under one sovereign anytime in history before.

Especially New Zealand is shooting themselves in the foot mid-to-long-term. The brand All Blacks relies on foreign money to sustain the excellent professional level they have reached. If they other nations finally catch up, it will be interesting if i.e. the deal with Adidas or AIG will bring as much money in.
Don't get me wrong they will always be a major contender, but this dominance in the last year is due to the amazing things they've done with the money coming in from outside of NZ.

The axing of the Sunwolves cannot be in the interest of NZ and OZ as they need them as a strategic partner if SA goes North to Europe. If that happens they need new tv money and that's not coming from OZ, the PI or NZ itself. Japan is there Faustpfand (no english word for it, means to keep some security in your hand in case you need it).

Apart from that I think the Sunwolves do quite fine, especially with the idiotic idea that some of their home games are played in Singapore, which killed off a lot of their marketing potential in Japan. (I mean nobody wants England to play home games in Dubai, but yet it is about the same distance as Tokio-> Singapore). Yeah, I know travelling issues, but come on. IF there was a real will, there would have been a way.

Actually I think a smart move would be to install a second Japanese team (if there are more PI players, fair enough) and therefore reduce travelling costs with two subsequent away games in Japan. But my very pessimistic expection is that the Sunwolves will be axed.

When the idea of Sunwolves was being thought up, I did suggest that an alternative to them was to have a combined PI team based in Singapore. A PI team is something people keep clamouring for but financially they are not viable as stadiums and infrastructure are not good enough. But being based in Singapore is a different matter. Singapore has excellent facilities and the wealth potential for hosting such a team. It is a good stopping point for teams travelling from SA to OZ/NZ and vice versa. Games against PI would be at teams' transit stop. SIngapore is also not too far from PI, so its a good place for them to stay. The weather is also much like home.
Having Sunwolves in Singapore, though, was a weird idea. There was some local interest but by and large it fell flat. PI teams on the other hand have a very long history in Singapore and would have had strong support. They would probably have been more competitive too

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 05 Dec 2018, 18:29

thatrugbyguy wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:Lets face it: many rugby fans in all former Commonwealth countries are among the short-sighted people you will ever read. There are off course a lot honourable exceptions. But I fear this is shamefully the norm if you read about rugby anywhere on social medias.

Agreed. There are some great people from these countries so I don't want to act like every one of them is completely closed minded but the majority I've seen are. They are very dismissive of moving into new markets because they don't have a proper rugby culture. I see it a lot here in the US (especially NYC where there are English, Irish, etc. who come from more posh backgrounds). The fields aren't good enough, coaches aren't good enough, clubs aren't good enough, etc. MLR got a lot of flak and isn't taken seriously by many for similar reasons. Every time something good happens with it, people just respond with something like "yeah but it will never work."

Japan is there Faustpfand (no english word for it, means to keep some security in your hand in case you need it).

Safety net is probably the best phrase to use. You can also say "ace up your sleeve" but that refers to a hidden advantage that you don't use until really needed.

I think the purpose of this was to branch out rugby into another wealthy Asian market with a considerable amount of expats. Singapore is definitely a good market to put a team, especially if they play Australian teams, but putting the Sunwolves there did kinda kill their marketing strategy.

thatrugbyguy wrote:I'd be willing to bet Forrest would offer them a lifeline with Rapid Rugby. It's likely his competition will already used the established Fiji Drua side from the NRC as that nations representative, so it's entirely possible he would extend the invitation to the Sunwolves as they've already got an established brand name.

Japan will definitely be included in the GRR but I get the impression that the Panasonic Wild Knights are joining (based in part on their participation in WSR). I believe there is a second team coming as well but I have the feeling that JRU is just going to axe the Sunwolves idea altogether and a 2nd Top League team (I reckon Suntory Sungoliath) will join instead. I think that's foolish as the Sunwolves have a lot to offer as an established team that's played in Super Rugby (like the Force) and has averaged around 10,000 fans this past year. But I suppose they could allocate the best Sunwolves players to these 2 teams and increase funding. No idea if they would stay in the Top League and play in GRR as well, I don't know anything about the league format.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 06 Dec 2018, 04:53

Panasonic are more than likely going to be at least one of the Japanese teams in GRR.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby Amargo » Sat, 08 Dec 2018, 08:57

I am just watching the semis of the Top League (Yamaha vs Santory went to overtime) ans was wondering what's the problem with further developing this league. I see good crowds, it's air on TV, I've found several bars showing it, some big names (Gitteau v/s Goromaru in this game). I'm sure there should be a reason for looking abroad.

Unrelated question. The have some golden point rule for overtime? I really didn't like that.

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby DotJP » Mon, 10 Dec 2018, 17:22

Amargo wrote:Unrelated question. The have some golden point rule for overtime? I really didn't like that.

This year, in extra time of the play-off tournament, the method of deciding the winner is

1, the extra time is 10 minutes(but a team which gets any points first wins: the sudden death method).
2, if the game isn't finished, next is kicking competition(but this is not performed at the final match, and both teams will be the winner of the year). Five players are chosen and play from different places which are 22(?)m line behind.

To tell the truth, I wanted to see kicking competition, because I've never seen it live.
I think the game itself was so great.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum