Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Japan Rugby

Posts: 1458
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 17 Feb 2016, 13:22

thatrugbyguy wrote:Well, this is surprising. Goromaru is now the highest paid player in the world. Might be joining Toulon next year too. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11589987


To be fair a lot seems to be from personal sponsorship, and given him being a national hero in a financial stronghold like Japan I am more surprised it isn't even more. Never forget the number of 25 million+ people watching a world cup game in Japan (That's OZ and NZ population combined). No surprise, that the stand-out-player has some good sponsorship contracts.
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Wed, 17 Feb 2016, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 1181
Joined: Wed, 25 Feb 2015, 17:54
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby ruckovercdn » Wed, 17 Feb 2016, 16:38

I'm stunned the JRFU didn't throw around big money to keep him for the initial Sunwolves season, try to use that star power to attract fans.

Posts: 19
Joined: Wed, 17 Feb 2016, 17:04
National Flag:
SwedenSweden

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby aston » Wed, 17 Feb 2016, 17:09

ruckovercdn wrote:I'm stunned the JRFU didn't throw around big money to keep him for the initial Sunwolves season, try to use that star power to attract fans.



That was very surprising to me as well. The marketing value of Goromaru to the Japanese public made him a must signing, in my view.

Posts: 1676
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 11:42
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 17 Feb 2016, 23:11

Don't equate corporate team money with JRFU money. The JRFU is not rich like some foreign fans may think. It was in the red consecutively up until the last two years for the last decade. It is still overall in the red (before the last financial years results have come out) though after the last couple of years the debt has been significantly reduced. Gaining more and retaining existing sponsorships I'm sure has helped. In the mid 2000s there was only 2-3 main sponsors. Now there are about 8-9. The money they have has according to the last financial reports reported in the Japanese media been used on extensive national teams development. The mens XVs national team was in camp 120 days, the most of any team pre RWC15. That doesn't come for free. And the JRFU has already been criticised for failing to pay the players at that time as much as top T1 unions pay theirs for camps if you read my post about the establishment of the Japanese players association on the last page.

Posts: 19
Joined: Wed, 17 Feb 2016, 17:04
National Flag:
SwedenSweden

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby aston » Sat, 20 Feb 2016, 20:11

Ok, thank you for that information! If the financials of the JRFU is improving, would it then be reasonable to expect the Sunwolves to be able to sign more top-flight players in the forthcoming seasons? I don't think it's absolute necessary for the Sunwolves to be competitive in their first season, but if they can't turn their performance upwards in the next coming seasons that could set the franchise back a lot I suspect.

Posts: 1676
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 11:42
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby YamahaKiwi » Sun, 21 Feb 2016, 04:24

No probs. Finance is but one part. Working with the clubs and getting their support is another. Players wanting to do the kind of travel this team does is another. How well organised and established the team is another. I'm sure the less than perfect establishment didn't go down well with quite a lot of players. That contrasts with the extensive RWC preparation. However even get that right and I think a lot of the best players will still baulk at the amount of travel this team has. If this team was better prepared, and was purely playing and travelling to and from Aussie and NZ I think we would have seen a much stronger team signed.

Posts: 1676
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 11:42
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby YamahaKiwi » Tue, 23 Feb 2016, 10:40

Care of our fellow member Hinato and E'quipe newspaper Mark Hammett has been confirmed to coach Japan v Scotland in June. Seems Joseph has also got scrum expert Marc Del Maso to continue with the Brave Blossoms. Not sure about who will coach the Japan XV or whatever in the Asian Champs. The union did say after it's exco meeting last week that it will be a mixed team made up with Japan U20, Junior Japan, and possibly even some SW players that are with the team in a more developmental role.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Article/Et-si-marc-dal-maso-retournait-au-japon/636586

Also following on from Japanese media reports last month suggesting a development squad/academy would be started it is confirmed this will be the case. Already a few extra players have in the last week been added to the present Sunwolves squad. They are Toshiba prop Takuma Asahara, Toshiba hooker Futoshi Mori, Canon Eagle's Japan squad member Kazuhiko Usami (was a notable omission in the original squad), TL regular season joint top tryscorer Taiyo Ando from Toyota Verblitz, 2015 Auckland ITM Cup player , NEC's Kaito Shigeno (4th hb!), and wing Viliami Lolohea who replaces Japan 7s wing Amanaki Lotoahea who has succumbed to injury.

There was an article in Sponichi about ex-Japan capt Takuro Miuchi joining the SW as an asst coach but it was a red-herring. However another ex-Japan player Atsushi Tanabe (personally I don't remember him but SW site says he was in bio info) has been contracted as an asst coach. Like Hammett, & Mauger he seems to have a strong Canterbury connection according to bio.

It was also announced this week the Cheetahs will play a friendly while in Japan v Toyota Verblitz at Toyota Stadium on July 23rd and apparently Toulon are lining up one or two games in Japan including v Yamaha at Ecopa Stadium the weekend after the Cheetahs v Toyota game so could be a pretty good summer of rugby in Japan. The Toulon game news is care of Hinato from the French side. Yamaha have yet to make any official announcement and there has been no news in the Japanese press.

Posts: 1676
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 11:42
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby YamahaKiwi » Tue, 23 Feb 2016, 11:10

Also since we've been talking about the JRFU's finances it was timely that they announced a yearly loss after the exco meeting. again the loss was largely put down to the cost of national team elite development and training. The loss was reported at 400,000,000JPY (3.57m USD, 3.24m EUR) but the union has pledged to be in the black next year.

Posts: 1458
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 23 Feb 2016, 17:02

Talking about well needed income for the JRFU:
Has anybody found a way to buy the Sunwolves shirt? European option prefered.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 878
Joined: Thu, 21 May 2015, 08:02
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby Suiram » Wed, 24 Feb 2016, 08:51

No highlights or videos of the Sunwolves preseason match? Kind of craving a chance to watch them play. I thought it was televised in Japan so figured I could find a full match replay or highlights somewhere.

Posts: 1676
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 11:42
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 24 Feb 2016, 09:36

Even searching in Japanese this is all I could find on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W38708ui9yQ

Posts: 878
Joined: Thu, 21 May 2015, 08:02
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby Suiram » Wed, 24 Feb 2016, 12:41

YamahaKiwi wrote:Even searching in Japanese this is all I could find on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W38708ui9yQ


Thanks that is better than nothing. Not sure how good a test this was for them as they looked like they were just physically dominant (bigger stronger) compared to the TL side. Probably wont be the case at all for SR. Oh well, cant wait to watch on ESPN3

Posts: 260
Joined: Thu, 19 Jun 2014, 03:34
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby rampage » Tue, 01 Mar 2016, 00:42

A quick question about the Asian Rugby Championships - will Japan field a full strength team, and risk the Sunwolves during the Super Rugby season?

User avatar
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun, 25 Jan 2015, 20:30
National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby Hansgrohe » Tue, 01 Mar 2016, 00:49

YamahaKiwi mentioned in the first paragraph Japan might field a mixed squad of regular starters and fringe players. Whether this will be capped is another story.

Posts: 1676
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 11:42
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby YamahaKiwi » Fri, 01 Apr 2016, 03:42

JRFU celebrating the joining of it's twenty-thousandth fan club member this week :D

Also announced tickets going on sale for the Scotland matches - will have the usual week or so of fan club members getting first dibs, then from latish April will go on general sale. Will be very interesting to see what crowds they get as this is the first time in a long time (since the 70s and 80s heydays) the JRFU has taken major international games to significantly bigger venues (45K and 50K for Toyota and Tokyo Stadiums respectively) having used Chichibunomiya, Hanazono or Kobe for major NT games in the last couple of decades as the sport's popularity went into a long decline. While major JRFU mens NT sponsor Lipovitan B is still the series sponsor, major media and national broadsheet daily newspaper company Yomiuri is also a backer for the series so hopefully that will mean that the games will also be broadcast free to air on NTV as it is one of the companies in the Yomiuri group.

17th Spring national high school invitational taking place at Kumagaya Rugby Stadium in Saitama (2019RWC venue) while the two-week school year-end holidays are on (many sports particularly baseball have national invitationals on at this time - again like the main all japan hs champs in July, the baseball invitational champs is wall to wall national TV coverage - was about the first thing I saw on Japanese TV when I first arrived there!). This year for the first time with rugby's growing popularity, the rugby national invitational is being covered not only on J Sports but alsoon one of the Japanese free to air broadcasters, NTV (well it's broadcast satellite channel but that is widely available to most Japanese).

Posts: 3127
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 01 Apr 2016, 07:49

Surely the RWC results and the Sunwolves should help boost crowds for the Scotland tests. Given the form of the Sunwolves in Super Rugby Japan are more than capable of beating Scotland in June. Who would have thought Japan would become such a competitive rugby nation in such a short period of time? For years we were told they would never be able to compete against the bigger teams but all that was lacking was a greater fitness routine and better coaching. Goes to show it was never their size that was the issue. You can tell the players are total professionals now and that's awesome for the sport. You'd have to almost label them as a T1 now.

Posts: 878
Joined: Thu, 21 May 2015, 08:02
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby Suiram » Fri, 01 Apr 2016, 08:21

Total professionals and fun to watch (Ive seen every Sunwolves game, 2 in person) but undersized / underpowered is a legitimate claim. They have really struggled stopping their opponents momentum on simple crash balls.

I would still bet they can take a game off Scotland.

Posts: 3127
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 01 Apr 2016, 12:08

Size is always going to be an issue but that's been offset pretty significantly since the chop tackling technique has been introduced into the Japanese game. Their quick speed off the defensive line and their targeting of the legs has been a great leveller, despite the fact they give away on average 7kg per man against the bigger teams. Ultimately it's clear Japan's RWC tactics have been implemented within the Sunwolves and even though they've yet to win a game they've been well and truly within striking distance for 3 of their 4 games.

Posts: 1676
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 11:42
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby YamahaKiwi » Thu, 01 Sep 2016, 14:15

Japanese press reporting Jamie Joseph giving his first press conference as Japan coach in Tokyo on the 5th September.

User avatar
Posts: 1867
Joined: Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 18:36
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby iul » Fri, 02 Dec 2016, 16:46

I found a stream for the Japanese channel that shows the Top League:
http://livetvkorea.weebly.com/j-sports-1.html
There's some Japanese rugby on right now.

User avatar
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed, 28 Sep 2016, 12:03
National Flag:
JapanJapan

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby JRugbyPodcast » Thu, 08 Dec 2016, 11:55

EPISODE 11 OUT NOW! In our feature today, we talk to the former Highlanders, New Zealand Sevens and Junior All Blacks player, Alando Soakai. He gives us his top tips for settling into life in Japan, and gives an insight to life at Kubota Spears, where Alando currently works as a forwards coach. In Top League, Panasonic keeps on winning, while Toshiba keeps on losing. We look back at the highlights of the weekend and discuss the upcoming showdown between Suntory and Yamaha on Christmas Eve. We also wrap up the university regional tournaments, and preview the upcoming university matches, with the big boys, Waseda, Teikyo and Meiji, amongst the teams fighting it out for the All Japan University Championship. Listen on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-260271034/1 ... ndo-soakai or I-tunes: https://itunes.apple.com/jp/podcast/jru ... ?l=en&mt=2

Posts: 258
Joined: Sat, 26 Apr 2014, 07:43
National Flag:
JapanJapan

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby Hinato » Sat, 10 Dec 2016, 16:42

Shogo Nakano: le "Sonny Bill Williams" japonais!
http://www.japonrugby.net/shogo-nakano- ... onais-.php

Posts: 1676
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 11:42
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 14 Dec 2016, 08:51

JRugbyPodcast wrote:EPISODE 11 OUT NOW! In our feature today, we talk to the former Highlanders, New Zealand Sevens and Junior All Blacks player, Alando Soakai. He gives us his top tips for settling into life in Japan, and gives an insight to life at Kubota Spears, where Alando currently works as a forwards coach. In Top League, Panasonic keeps on winning, while Toshiba keeps on losing. We look back at the highlights of the weekend and discuss the upcoming showdown between Suntory and Yamaha on Christmas Eve. We also wrap up the university regional tournaments, and preview the upcoming university matches, with the big boys, Waseda, Teikyo and Meiji, amongst the teams fighting it out for the All Japan University Championship. Listen on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-260271034/1 ... ndo-soakai or I-tunes: https://itunes.apple.com/jp/podcast/jru ... ?l=en&mt=2


Before Yamaha gets to Suntory they've got to beat Kobe this weekend. It's a bit of a banana skin game because Kobe is still one of the top teams and Yamaha has a pretty bad record against them with not many wins historically. Infact in Yamaha's marquee home game last year with its biggest home attendance in Iwata, it choked badly v Kobe. so lets see if Yamaha can get the job done this weekend first. As they say, one game at a time...

Fantastic result in the All Japan Uni Champs. My university's sister uni, Kyoto Sangyo pulled off a shock upset over Meiji to dump them out of the Champs 26-22 :D Also one of Japan rugby's negative points reared its ugly head on the weekend. Ryutsu Keizai Uni and Keio drew 31-31. but rather than play extra time or even use penalties etc to determine a winner, in traditional Japanese rugby fashion the winner was Keio whose captain chose the right piece of paper under the grandstand that said his team was progressing to the next round. Truly pathetic! You play hard for 80mins and get stuffed by a piece of paper! :x

Posts: 3127
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 03:15


User avatar
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed, 28 Sep 2016, 12:03
National Flag:
JapanJapan

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby JRugbyPodcast » Sun, 18 Dec 2016, 13:18

YamahaKiwi wrote:
JRugbyPodcast wrote:EPISODE 11 OUT NOW! In our feature today, we talk to the former Highlanders, New Zealand Sevens and Junior All Blacks player, Alando Soakai. He gives us his top tips for settling into life in Japan, and gives an insight to life at Kubota Spears, where Alando currently works as a forwards coach. In Top League, Panasonic keeps on winning, while Toshiba keeps on losing. We look back at the highlights of the weekend and discuss the upcoming showdown between Suntory and Yamaha on Christmas Eve. We also wrap up the university regional tournaments, and preview the upcoming university matches, with the big boys, Waseda, Teikyo and Meiji, amongst the teams fighting it out for the All Japan University Championship. Listen on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-260271034/1 ... ndo-soakai or I-tunes: https://itunes.apple.com/jp/podcast/jru ... ?l=en&mt=2


Before Yamaha gets to Suntory they've got to beat Kobe this weekend. It's a bit of a banana skin game because Kobe is still one of the top teams and Yamaha has a pretty bad record against them with not many wins historically. Infact in Yamaha's marquee home game last year with its biggest home attendance in Iwata, it choked badly v Kobe. so lets see if Yamaha can get the job done this weekend first. As they say, one game at a time...

Fantastic result in the All Japan Uni Champs. My university's sister uni, Kyoto Sangyo pulled off a shock upset over Meiji to dump them out of the Champs 26-22 :D Also one of Japan rugby's negative points reared its ugly head on the weekend. Ryutsu Keizai Uni and Keio drew 31-31. but rather than play extra time or even use penalties etc to determine a winner, in traditional Japanese rugby fashion the winner was Keio whose captain chose the right piece of paper under the grandstand that said his team was progressing to the next round. Truly pathetic! You play hard for 80mins and get stuffed by a piece of paper! :x


It's game on for Yamaha now!!

And the All Japan Uni Champs is pretty compelling stuff. It's my first experience watching it and so it's nice to see the passion everyone is showing. Also, Taito can't stand Waseda, so Doshisha knocking them out means Taito is smiling like a Cheshire cat right now. Here's ep.13 which we recorded before the weekend's games: https://soundcloud.com/user-260271034/1 ... o-olympian

Yamaha Kiwi, are you based in Japan or an admirer from over in New Zealand?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Buffalo and 7 guests