Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Japan Rugby

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 04 Aug 2018, 06:29

YamahaKiwi wrote:Probably Suntory as with Pana they have consistently been the top two teams in Japan, on and off the field in the last decade. Possibly could be Kobe, Yamaha, Canon, or NEC etc but doubtful.

I thought may be Suntory.

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby DotJP » Thu, 13 Sep 2018, 17:14

Autumn test matches +α

In Japan(in Japan time)
26 October, Japan XV v World XV in Osaka
*27 October, New Zealand v Australia (Bledisloe Cup, Match 3) in Yokohama
3 November, Japan v New Zealand in Tokyo

In England(in England time)
17 November, England v Japan in London
24 November, Russia v Japan in Gloucester

*** Ticket Information ***
Latest general ticket sales ballot for RWC2019 will start from 19th September to 12th November.
https://www.worldrugby.org/news/363201

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Thu, 13 Sep 2018, 19:19

Why is Russia playing Japan in Gloucester? That seems far for both countries involved. It's adding unnecessary travel for both teams. I guess it makes sense because Japan is playing in London the following week.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 13 Sep 2018, 20:06

I don't see any sense. Why not Sochi or Krasnodar?

Or even a place like Vladivostok, as the Japanese will return home in the following week. I know rugby is not important in Vladivostok, but how many times a national team of any sport plays there? Better than Gloucester.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 13 Sep 2018, 20:46

victorsra wrote:I don't see any sense. Why not Sochi or Krasnodar?

Or even a place like Vladivostok, as the Japanese will return home in the following week. I know rugby is not important in Vladivostok, but how many times a national team of any sport plays there? Better than Gloucester.

Why would the Japanese return home if the Match is in England. They stay put and just Russia moves.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 13 Sep 2018, 20:51

dude, look at the calendar, the match against Russia is the last test. They will return home to play for their Top League clubs in the following weekend.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby DotJP » Fri, 14 Sep 2018, 10:06

Tobar wrote:Why is Russia playing Japan in Gloucester? That seems far for both countries involved. It's adding unnecessary travel for both teams. I guess it makes sense because Japan is playing in London the following week.

Actually, JRFU have not announced that Japan will play Russia at 24th Nov yet. Just a few media told the new match in Japan. So I don't know the reason. However, 26th Oct and 3th, 17th Nov matches had already been announced officially until about a month ago(https://www.rugby-japan.jp/news/2018/08/03/49358). So I guess the 24th Nov match was made in a hurry.
On the other hand, England has much grounds and is accustomed to host other countries matches. So I think it was easier to set the match in England( and Japan team played Gloucester Rugby(a club team) in Gloucester in 2013, and the team have an experience to do there).

"It's adding unnecessary travel for both teams."

Maybe because there are a difference among the number of spectators, Japan team might need another place to play.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 14 Sep 2018, 10:09

TheStroBro wrote:
victorsra wrote:I don't see any sense. Why not Sochi or Krasnodar?

Why would the Japanese return home if the Match is in England. They stay put and just Russia moves.

Exactly. Returning home is more or less killing the spirit of the tour. You are back at home, but stay with the team? Kind of sucks and everybody is only waiiting to go their families.
Playing in Russia means adjusting to an additional time-zone, which definitely will take its toll. From a Japanese POV, this is absolutely logical.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum