Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

WR Presidential Elections

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: WR Presidential Elections

Unread postby sk 88 » Fri, 22 May 2020, 08:40

Canalina wrote:Sorry but he confirms to be a little person and to have not the spirit of rugby inside him.

I don't think that is a very fair or worthy comment.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Unread postby erik2 » Fri, 22 May 2020, 10:03

To be honest if I was Agustin Pichot I would feel more betrayed with Rugby Europe, and all the scandal running around it

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Unread postby Canalina » Fri, 22 May 2020, 10:27

Maybe nobody has to feel betrayed by no one: it's an election, anyone votes who he wants, without feeling obliged to vote someone just because that one promised to help your tier or because "we are in the same whatsapp group"

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Unread postby Bogdan_DC » Fri, 22 May 2020, 11:33

Be realistic, Rugby Europe is clearly an 6N appendix and anyhow Georgia& Romania anulated RE vote. So i guess Pichot was happy with this outcome from Europe. He lost the elections when Laporte entered the game but he was doing just fine to be honest. Better than i expected at least.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 22 May 2020, 12:24

He successfully shook things up then left Beaumont and Laporte with a lot of promises to keep. It is a good outcome.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Unread postby carbonero » Fri, 22 May 2020, 13:47

Armchair Fan wrote:But this was an electoral campaign. Votes were supposed to be dancing and if there was one in the air, it was Africa's. There was 2023 RWC precedent as well.

Babbou was proposed for the Executive Committee by both South Africa and France. His interview during the week of elections was selling Africa as the next Pacific nations, basically asking French and English clubs to scout African talent rather than developing it at home:
https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/k ... nt-2563798

By the way, there is the claim that Rugby Africa Executive Committee decided the vote, not Babbou by himself:
https://allafrica.com/stories/202005040340.html

You asked why was he so naive to think that Africa was on his side and why was he astonished when the vote came back. The answer is because Babbou was part of his campaign.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Unread postby Silver Fox » Fri, 22 May 2020, 17:09

Canalina wrote:Maybe nobody has to feel betrayed by no one: it's an election, anyone votes who he wants, without feeling obliged to vote someone just because that one promised to help your tier or because "we are in the same whatsapp group"
Yes, it's a naive to have faith in people. It's a political process after all and that has more to do with personal favours or, as you have consistently pointed out, about personal tastes and likings. The contents of a program are often subject to the former.
Yes, very unrugby-like to feel disappointed and frustrated by a team-mate on whom you'd thought you could rely on to bring the match to a good end.
No, he should have behaved like an good old English sport and congratulate the other with the technically well executed stab in the back.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Unread postby Canalina » Fri, 22 May 2020, 18:11

It's quite evident that me and the rest of the forum have very different points of view in this matter, and probably in other matters, this making sometime difficult to understand each other; so I prepared a quick dictionary to a better reciprocal comprehension

T2 forum dictionary

Promise of favors to gain someone’s vote
- classic example of corruption by the usual british old farts (if committed by Beaumont)
- oh, come on guys! We know how things go, everybody does that, there’s nothing bad in it! (if committed by Pichot)

To change mind and vote for the other part
- finally the Cartel is break! (if committed against Beaumont)
- the classic old british stab in the back (if committed against Pichot)

Voting for someone just because you are part of the same tier
- oh Mother of God! oh Walhalla Gods! It's a Cartel! (if related to Tier I)
- a wise and natural alliance to repair an atrocious injustice (if related to Tier II)

Mocking publicly like a 14 years old kid an other member of the Council because, despite he was part of the same whatsapp group, he changed vote at the last moment, implying that he was somehow corrupted
- x (there’s not a word about this concept related to Beaumont because nobody can imagine Beaumont or every other member of the council apart one acting like that)
- the natural reaction of a poor man disappointed because his once loyal friend and companion stabbed him in the back

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Unread postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 22 May 2020, 18:16

Canalina, I can understand you, but don't say you can't imagine any other member of the Council acting like that when we already saw some crazy reactions from Tier 1 nations regarding 2023 RWC host selection. Celtic nations blaming each other for not supporting Ireland, France accused of everything because voters didn't follow WR recommendation...

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum