Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

WR Presidential Elections

WR Presidential Elections

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 11:40

WHEN? This Wed | Thu ...

Any news on Pichot and somebody else challenging Beaumont?

:::

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: WR Presidential Elections

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 11:51

Pichot+Laporte with SANZAAR support according to La Nación:
https://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportes/ru ... nid2299928

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 11:55

So, why other sources are silent?
Not important for the future of the Game?
Nothing scandalous?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 12:09

Strange that we haven't talked about this yet here. Read this article this weekend but somehow forgot to post it.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites ... te/1073402
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 12:24

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:So, why other sources are silent?
Not important for the future of the Game?
Nothing scandalous?

Nothing in English? :lol:
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Edgar » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 15:23

I see Uruguay has been given a seat on the World Council. This takes the total number to 52, with Samoa and Fiji the latest additions, following Romania and Georgia a year or two ago. The glaring omission at this stage is Tonga, no doubt due to its miniscule population, but as I pointed out in an article for the Roar not long ago, the tiny island actually has the most registered players per capita in the world, equating to more than a fifth of its 100K inhabitants. Anyway, good to see Uruguay added, after their historic win over Fiji at this year's World Cup. Hopefully official test matches with Argentina will follow. :thumbup: 8-)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 16:27

Is it official already Pichot-Laporte as candidates?

Uruguay replaces Romania, right? The ratio T1-T2 won't change, I believe.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 16:32

Romania's demotion is pure speculation so far.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 16:35

Seats:

6N: 18+1
England: 4 (1x Chairman + 3 regular)
France: 3
Scotland: 3
Ireland: 3
Wales: 3
Italy: 3

RC: 11+1
Argentina:3
New Zealand: 3
Australia: 3
South Africa: 3

Others: 9 (maybe only 6)
Japan: 2
Romania: 1 (still at the election?)
Uruguay: 1
Canada: 1
Georgia: 1
USA: 1
Fiji: 1
Samoa: 1

Continental unions: 12
Africa: 2
Asia: 2
Europe: 2
North America: 2
Oceania: 2
South America: 2

This strangely only leads to 49 votes (including Uruguay), but that's the number from their homepage + Uruguay
https://www.world.rugby/organisation/structure/council

So who are the missing three votes/members?
Edit: found one: one the homepage there are only 2 Saffas, but they should have 3 votes. So then it is 50, still two members missing.
Edit2: Fiji and Samoa added

Pichot's chances: There should only be 51 votes as the chairman can't vote on the election of the new chairmen.
So Pichot needs 26 votes to win.
He has 6 at 100%: Argentina (3) and France (3)
He has 3 at 99%: South America (2), Uruguay (1)
He should get 10 more from Europe (2), Africa (2), North America (2), USA (1), Canada (1), Georgia (1), Romania (1)

That's 19. He needs 7 more votes. Same if Romania is excluded.
Pichot definitely needs SANZAAR votes, if he gets Australia and NZ, Oceania will follow and he is through.
Another option is Japan who might bring along Asia (not sure as one Asian member is from HK), but then he is still short 4 votes.

Edit: changed things in bold after Armchair found the missing 2 members.
Edit2 changed the numbers after Carbaonero confirmed that Pichot didn't get an extra-vote as the vice-chairman, but instead was a regular Argentinian vote.
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Wed, 30 Oct 2019, 07:49, edited 5 times in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 16:38

The link you posted doesn't include Fiji and Samoa, who were accepted some months ago.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 16:45

Armchair Fan wrote:The link you posted doesn't include Fiji and Samoa, who were accepted some months ago.

:thumbup: Changed it.
(That actually downplays Romania's role, as an exclusion suddenly doesn't matter at all for Pichot or even leads to him needing one less vote to win).

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 16:46

Anyway can you even think of Romania voting against Laporte?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 16:53

Another scenario:

If it is true, that he already got SANZAAR support he already has
15: Argentina (3), Uruguay (1), South America (2), New Zealand (3), Australia (3), South Africa (3)

90%: 5 Europe (2), Africa (2), Romania (1)
85%: 4 North America (2), USA (1), Canada (1), Oceania (2),
80%: 2 Fiji (1), Samoa (1)

And he would be through.

If SANZAAR really supports him, I can't see him not becoming the new president. :thumbup:
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Wed, 30 Oct 2019, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 16:59

Edgar wrote:I see Uruguay has been given a seat on the World Council. This takes the total number to 52, with Samoa and Fiji the latest additions, following Romania and Georgia a year or two ago. The glaring omission at this stage is Tonga, no doubt due to its miniscule population, but as I pointed out in an article for the Roar not long ago, the tiny island actually has the most registered players per capita in the world, equating to more than a fifth of its 100K inhabitants. Anyway, good to see Uruguay added, after their historic win over Fiji at this year's World Cup. Hopefully official test matches with Argentina will follow. :thumbup: 8-)

Tonga's lack of seat has nothing to do with its size and everything to do with mismanagement by its union. If and when Tonga gets its house in order, they'll get a seat as Samoa did.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 17:40

RugbyLiebe wrote:Another scenario:

If it is true, that he already got SANZAAR support he already has
14: Argentina (2), Uruguay (1), South America (2), New Zealand (3), Australia (3), South Africa (3)

90%: 5 Europe (2), Africa (2), Romania (1)
85%: 4 North America (2), USA (1), Canada (1), Oceania (2),
80%: 2 Fiji (1), Samoa (1)

And he would be through.

If SANZAAR really supports him, I can't see him not becoming the new president. :thumbup:

With 26 votes he is elected?

If so, if he has France, Argentina, South Africa, Japan, the T2s and the Continents, he is elected. He doesn't need NZ and AUS.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 18:00

Why don't Argentina have 3 votes?

Per the by laws Romania aren't off the council until January. We may see a change to those laws before then, or some sort of fudge.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 18:21

sk 88 wrote:Why don't Argentina have 3 votes?

Argentina has three votes.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 19:11

Before I get skewered here, on the one hand I am happy for Uruguay added to the World Council. On the other hand I fear for women's Rugby.

I don't see a fully fledged program. Despite years from them and Argentina that they are implementing one.. is still a long way off.

I hope their elevation will see a change in policy but I somehow doubt it. They should use their new found status wisely.

I would like to see the next members with full Rugby Programmes like Spain who should be on the council.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 22:00

carbonero wrote:
sk 88 wrote:Why don't Argentina have 3 votes?

Argentina has three votes.

RugbyLiebe's numbers have Argentina at 2 votes + the vice chair. So 2 votes "as of right", + the vice chair vote. England have 4 votes, 3 "as of right" votes + the chairman.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 22:19

(d) The Vice-Chair role is not independent so the elected Vice-Chair shall be one of the Representatives of their Member Union or Member Association and will not be in addition to that Member Union or Member Association’s Representatives.

https://www.world.rugby/handbook/bye-laws/bye-law-9

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 23:31

Coloradoan wrote:
Tonga's lack of seat has nothing to do with its size and everything to do with mismanagement by its union. If and when Tonga gets its house in order, they'll get a seat as Samoa did.

Well Samoa and Fiji are both horribly mismanaged and still got votes...

Hopefully we're well past the idea of demoting Unions from the World Council. As that will just maintain the Anglosphere stranglehold on the game.

sk 88 wrote:
RugbyLiebe's numbers have Argentina at 2 votes + the vice chair. So 2 votes "as of right", + the vice chair vote. England have 4 votes, 3 "as of right" votes + the chairman.

All Tier 1 Unions have have 3 votes.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 30 Oct 2019, 00:18

Thomas wrote:Before I get skewered here, on the one hand I am happy for Uruguay added to the World Council. On the other hand I fear for women's Rugby.

I don't see a fully fledged program. Despite years from them and Argentina that they are implementing one.. is still a long way off.

I hope their elevation will see a change in policy but I somehow doubt it. They should use their new found status wisely.

I would like to see the next members with full Rugby Programmes like Spain who should be on the council.

As much as I agree with you and a few others on this matter, it's unfair to Uruguay to bring onto the table that right when its admission is announced. We've got clear standards now to enter Council and they met them. And they did a fantastic work on the administrative and political side of things. Things would be much rosier for Tier 2 if its leaders ditched more often quixotism for pragmatism.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 30 Oct 2019, 00:40

There's no reason to remove Romania from the council.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 30 Oct 2019, 02:53

Thomas wrote:Before I get skewered here, on the one hand I am happy for Uruguay added to the World Council. On the other hand I fear for women's Rugby.

The reality is the sport struggles enough trying to get the mens side of the things right in the top ranked nations let alone the lower ranked nations. No disrespect to the girls, but they are unfortunately going to have to wait until things are solidified with many of the mens programs first and foremost. And yes, that might take a while.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 30 Oct 2019, 07:46

carbonero wrote:
(d) The Vice-Chair role is not independent so the elected Vice-Chair shall be one of the Representatives of their Member Union or Member Association and will not be in addition to that Member Union or Member Association’s Representatives.

https://www.world.rugby/handbook/bye-laws/bye-law-9

:thumbup:

Didn't read it up. Changed it in my post.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum