Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

WR Presidential Elections

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: WR Presidential Elections

Unread postby sk 88 » Tue, 05 May 2020, 15:35

sk 88 wrote:I am 100% sure World Rugby officially stopped using "Tier 2" years and years ago. I think the nations were "Developing" then, there was also something about "High Performance 1", "Performance".

Only for them to start using it again later because nothing changes and its a useful short hand.

http://tier2rugby.blogspot.com/2014/05/who-is-officially-tier-2-nation.html

It was 2008 that the IRB declared the term Tier 2 dead.

Beaumont's shiny new future is bringing back things from 2008. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Unread postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 07 May 2020, 22:06

It looks like Lions year is the moment when Home Unions are going to repay their debts. In 2021:
- England to USA and Canada
- Ireland to Pacific Islands
- Scotland touring Europe
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... d-Cup.html

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Unread postby carbonero » Thu, 07 May 2020, 22:27

Nah. This was agreed long before the election.

Ireland > https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3696787
Scotland > https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/50262731

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Unread postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 07 May 2020, 22:33

OK, sorry, now that I read it you're 100% right, we already talked here about that tournament format for Scotland.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 08 May 2020, 02:28

This schedule is a lot more exciting to me than the Rugby Nations Championship First Division. I am quite excited by the division 2 and division 3 competitions but for England and Australia a 3 match tour to Australia is a lot more exciting than stopping off for a single game on the way from Japan to New Zealand.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Unread postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 12 May 2020, 23:28

Pichot leaves World Rugby and Americas Rugby:
https://uar.com.ar/2020/05/12/comunicacion-oficial-3/

National Flag:

Unread postby Thomas » Wed, 13 May 2020, 11:35

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Unread postby Canalina » Wed, 13 May 2020, 13:31

I admit that he exits in a way different from the one I expected: he congratulated in an apparently sincere way with Beaumont and he withdraws from all his roles. It's the opposite of what I was predicting in my mind

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 13 May 2020, 13:37

I think this is disappointing. He was a champion of rugby in the Americas. He achieved a lot but there is still a lot more to be done.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Unread postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 13 May 2020, 13:40

The next president will be Laporte. The next four years he will use his political skills to get to a position where it can be nobody else than him. I understand Pichot's move, he is still quite young.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Wed, 13 May 2020, 19:08

I thought he would stay, but it doesn't surprise me he leaving WR. What surprises me is he leaving Americas Rugby.

And yes, Laporte 2024-28. It is pretty logical because he will finish a cycle in France with RWC 2023. He's 56 years old, still "young" for politics.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ChileChile

Unread postby ficcp » Wed, 13 May 2020, 19:24

He had a lot to contribute to Americas Rugby. I hope he returns in a couple of years.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Unread postby Canalina » Thu, 14 May 2020, 15:54

It seems to me that WR is somehow following some Pichot suggestions: the embracing of Turkey, Qatar and Jordan could be seen as a move toward the direction of globalizing the game indicated by the Argentinian, even if the admission of some new members is quite usual after a congress; and the idea of putting some rugby jersey into "Animal Crossing", a videogame for kids that I didn't know but that appears very popular, seems following a similar idea by Pichot.
WR asked fans which is their favorite jersey between NZ, Saf, Eng and Jap one, but the designer who created them prepared also some other jerseys like, it seems, the German one

https://twitter.com/rugbyworldcup/statu ... 3280429062
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EXaZxLhUcAE ... ame=medium

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Unread postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 15 May 2020, 07:33

Canalina wrote:It seems to me that WR is somehow following some Pichot suggestions: the embracing of Turkey, Qatar and Jordan could be seen as a move toward the direction of globalizing the game indicated by the Argentinian, even if the admission of some new members is quite usual after a congress; and the idea of putting some rugby jersey into "Animal Crossing", a videogame for kids that I didn't know but that appears very popular, seems following a similar idea by Pichot.
WR asked fans which is their favorite jersey between NZ, Saf, Eng and Jap one, but the designer who created them prepared also some other jerseys like, it seems, the German one

That's overall good news.
Yep, looks like the German jersey. Never played the game, but it has been popular for many years, especially with female gamers btw.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Unread postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Fri, 15 May 2020, 08:50

So, Rugby Europe is still voting againsts Georgia and Romania in support of mr. Bill.

Question is:

Why r they voting against their own nations, against progress? I think its time for Rugby Europe to have someone like Pichot as a leader of european Rugby. Morrariu is not a guy for European Rugby.

Georgia is holding this championship on float. Yet they are voting against us. We need to take control of the situation. together with Romania, Spain, Portugal.

4 more years to start some moves, and few more years after that. Rugny lost a lot of time in last years. at least 15 years that could be used for popularizing the game.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Unread postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 15 May 2020, 09:29

RugbyPUBtbilisi wrote:So, Rugby Europe is still voting againsts Georgia and Romania in support of mr. Bill.

Question is:

Why r they voting against their own nations, against progress? I think its time for Rugby Europe to have someone like Pichot as a leader of european Rugby. Morrariu is not a guy for European Rugby.

Georgia is holding this championship on float. Yet they are voting against us. We need to take control of the situation. together with Romania, Spain, Portugal.

4 more years to start some moves, and few more years after that. Rugny lost a lot of time in last years. at least 15 years that could be used for popularizing the game.

Asked myself this as well, I come to this conclusion that this questions might be essential: Who is paying for Rugby Europe's budget or the headquarters in France? This questions combinded with the 6N also having voting rights. There you go. Maybe Laporte can be the Havelange/ Blatter of rugby.

National Flag:

Unread postby sk 88 » Fri, 15 May 2020, 11:26

Canalina wrote:It seems to me that WR is somehow following some Pichot suggestions: the embracing of Turkey, Qatar and Jordan could be seen as a move toward the direction of globalizing the game indicated by the Argentinian, even if the admission of some new members is quite usual after a congress; and the idea of putting some rugby jersey into "Animal Crossing", a videogame for kids that I didn't know but that appears very popular, seems following a similar idea by Pichot.

Person did it on reddit, hence the odd jersey selections at times. They were the ones asked for by posters.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Fri, 15 May 2020, 13:41

RugbyPUBtbilisi wrote:So, Rugby Europe is still voting againsts Georgia and Romania in support of mr. Bill.

Question is:

So it is true Romania voted for Pichot?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Unread postby Canalina » Fri, 15 May 2020, 14:04

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Canalina wrote:https://twitter.com/rugbyworldcup/status/1260599563280429062

That's overall good news.
Yep, looks like the German jersey. Never played the game, but it has been popular for many years, especially with female gamers btw.

It seems that the rugby jerseys are already available in Animal Crossing

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Unread postby jservuk » Sun, 17 May 2020, 00:33

Fascinating discussion about the state of Rugby with Keith Wood, Stuart Barnes and a guy who was the Head of sponsorship at HSBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcPYj8sjr2U

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Unread postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 17 May 2020, 09:29

Or how once again we are told T2 should focus on sevens and stop disturbing the big boys.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Sun, 17 May 2020, 13:24

Emerging sevens nations, please.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Unread postby Silver Fox » Sun, 17 May 2020, 14:50

Fascinating yes, but one thing disturbed me and that was that they think the reason rugby has not or cannot spread is that it is too difficult for people who do not yet know the sport (i.e. for non-Brits or -French).

I expected at some moment that there would be some mention of the suggestion by Pichot to invest in a video game to lower the treshold and attract new fans, but no they went on to introspectively discuss the situation.

It wasn't all without hope though.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Unread postby Silver Fox » Sun, 17 May 2020, 14:57

To some degree I can even understand that their views are limited to their own cartel perspective.
They are discussing the sustainability of their current cartel programs.

They acknowledge that rugby XV is a major sport in maybe 10 countries but that is NOT a global sport on the top level.
And however desperate we want it to be different, that is as it is.
They also acknowledge the fact that their current model is not sustainable.

I also think that the point of rivalry and tradition is valid when it comes to why people are coming to the stadiums.
Needless to point to games between Georgia, Russia and Romania as examples.

Another valid point from the discussion is that, when there is something at stake like a title or even bragging rights, people don't really care wether the standard of play is good, high or very high.
(note: That is why, whatever else happens, competitions like the ENC or the ARC still need to be developed and promoted.)

To finance their current model and save their global game - when there is speech of the global game nowadays they actually mean the salvation of Australia as a top 10 nation - they are currently desperate to find income from markets outside their own regions because they have reached their ceiling there. And with the gap between the cartel and the rest of the world in place there will be no extra markets to draw money from.
That also contributes to why the T2 remain irrelevant from their perspective. So irrelevant that they are more or less forced to keep looking inward and focus on their own regions and markets.

They then come to a sort of conclusion that to become sustainable again some downsizing needs to take place.
Downsizing in the sense of less travel, regionalisation and maybe even less professionalism.
They even agreed that a calender was needed where both clubs and unions would have to fit in without being each others rivals.

Now back to the subject of this forum. Where does this affect T2?
It is clear that it is nigh impossible for T2 nations to catch up to the current cartel standards. There just isn't the money to reach the level of proffesionalism the cartel nations have. And as long as there is no sign of a level playing field the gap will remain.
But heck, it even proves impossible for a nation like Australia to keep up.
Now they can keep trying to maintain the current system. But to remain competitive nations would have to start sharing revenues. But even then they are dependent on sponsors and TV-money for which the market isn't really there (anymore).

If the outcome, or the reality if you like, is that less money will be involved, so less games, leagues being more regionally orientated, a global calendar and a return to more semi-professionalism, this would take us back to a situation like in the nineties where the gap between T2 had T1 had narrowed significantly. Only to be widened again in this century due to the professionalism which now appears to be unsustainable.

I can only guess what it does to the appeal of a sport in a T2 nation when it becomes more competitive against traditional rugby nations.
Not because they catch up but because the top nations slip back a bit.
It might just spark some extra interest in the 'emerging' nations.
Actually it is the story of Italy and the 6 Nations all over again.
In the long run it might even create some extra market everyone was looking for in the first place.
It all depends ofcourse on how bad also the T2 nations are affected by the coming economic crisis but that maybe might be just less structural than for the fully professional leagues.

I know the discussion in the video had no perspective to T2 in mind and T2 even seemed dismissed as irrelevant but I am curious about the unintended side effects the current crisis might have.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Unread postby Canalina » Sun, 17 May 2020, 16:31

Silver Fox wrote:Fascinating yes, but one thing disturbed me and that was that they think the reason rugby has not or cannot spread is that it is too difficult for people who do not yet know the sport (i.e. for non-Brits or -French).

I expected at some moment that there would be some mention of the suggestion by Pichot to invest in a video game to lower the treshold and attract new fans, but no they went on to introspectively discuss the situation.

It wasn't all without hope though.

Please don't think now that the Pichot's idea was a revolutionary one; he just suggested to try to wide the rugby presence in the youngsters mental panorama infiltrating rugby in a videogame, I doubt that could change a lot the things.
American Football is enormously more present than rugby in the movies, in the tv series and -I suspect- also in the video games, but american football is probably even less diffused than rugby in the world.
Same for baseball: there are dozens of movies (also good ones) about baseball, there are the Peanuts with Charlie Brown's team, but again baseball is probably less diffused worldwide than rugby.
I say this to suggest you to not considering the world diffusion of rugby like an easy step, never reached just by fault of the usual evil T1 men; it's a very difficult step, mostly for a sport like rugby (yes, I agree with who says that rugby is a sport hard to familiarize with).
To have other examples about, let's also think to rugby league, to australian football, to the various form of hockey. They are all popular or very popular in some parts of the world and almost unknown in many other parts of the world.

PS: please, stop with that "cartel". It's boring

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum