Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Continental Club Rugby League

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Continental Club Rugby League

Postby Edgar » Wed, 01 Jan 2020, 08:33

Tobar wrote:
victorsra wrote:About this question of development vs quick professionalism, Rugby India has been discussing this. Interesting: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ma ... 747237.cms

World Rugby certainly wants them to succeed, at least based on the amount of visits they make to the country to promote the sport.

I am curious how many Indians in rugby countries play the sport. The UK and South Africa have the most at around 1.8 and 1.5 million Indians each followed by Australia (500k), Fiji (300k) and New Zealand (200k). These numbers don’t say how old the people are or whether or not they were born in India.

Regardless, you’d have to imagine that there are a decent amount of Indians in these countries who have at least touched a rugby ball at some point. If I’m not mistaken, many Indians are 1st or 2nd generation and may have closer ties to India. One of my friends is a first generation Indian-Brit and played rugby, so there’s at least one!

The only high-profile player of Indian ethnicity I know of was former New Zealand 7s representative Rocky Khan, who was of mixed Fijian Melanesian, Polynesian and Indian ancestry. A little on the small side for XVs, however, and never made it in provincial rugby. In Fiji itself the game is very much a part of local culture and practically every family of Melanesian or Polynesian ethnicity is affiliated with a club. Unfortunately this tends to exclude the ethnic Indian community, who constitute about a third of the islands' population. Even in New Zealand there seems to be a degree of cultural influence, with ethnic Indians and Chinese largely absent from the game (I never met any personally), though both communities number close to 200K.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 01 Jan 2020, 09:18

Edgar wrote:
Tobar wrote:
victorsra wrote:About this question of development vs quick professionalism, Rugby India has been discussing this. Interesting: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ma ... 747237.cms

World Rugby certainly wants them to succeed, at least based on the amount of visits they make to the country to promote the sport.

I am curious how many Indians in rugby countries play the sport. The UK and South Africa have the most at around 1.8 and 1.5 million Indians each followed by Australia (500k), Fiji (300k) and New Zealand (200k). These numbers don’t say how old the people are or whether or not they were born in India.

Regardless, you’d have to imagine that there are a decent amount of Indians in these countries who have at least touched a rugby ball at some point. If I’m not mistaken, many Indians are 1st or 2nd generation and may have closer ties to India. One of my friends is a first generation Indian-Brit and played rugby, so there’s at least one!

The only high-profile player of Indian ethnicity I know of was former New Zealand 7s representative Rocky Khan, who was of mixed Fijian Melanesian, Polynesian and Indian ancestry. A little on the small side for XVs, however, and never made it in provincial rugby. In Fiji itself the game is very much a part of local culture and practically every family of Melanesian or Polynesian ethnicity is affiliated with a club. Unfortunately this tends to exclude the ethnic Indian community, who constitute about a third of the islands' population. Even in New Zealand there seems to be a degree of cultural influence, with ethnic Indians and Chinese largely absent from the game (I never met any personally), though both communities number close to 200K.

Rocky Khan is partly Indo-Fijian, as is Ben Volavola. The Indians have been in Fiji for more than 100 years. They may be ethnically Indian but their Indian ancestry will not be recent enough to qualify to play for India through a granny.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 01 Jan 2020, 13:30

Tobar wrote:

At school I never played in a team without at least one "Indian" player in, but half our school was Hindu or Sikh and in Leicester you get a lot of people whose parents came from Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania where I understand a bit more was played historically.

There is a new club in Leicester focused just on black and Indian players (The Swifts), rather than getting one or two token players in a club the aim is to make it an Indian club as a better way to actually get people involved, these days people are used to mixing in predominantly their own circles so go with the flow. It seems to be getting generally positive vibes from the people who play them from the chatter I hear.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 01 Jan 2020, 14:15

sk 88 wrote:
Tobar wrote:

At school I never played in a team without at least one "Indian" player in, but half our school was Hindu or Sikh and in Leicester you get a lot of people whose parents came from Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania where I understand a bit more was played historically.

There is a new club in Leicester focused just on black and Indian players (The Swifts), rather than getting one or two token players in a club the aim is to make it an Indian club as a better way to actually get people involved, these days people are used to mixing in predominantly their own circles so go with the flow. It seems to be getting generally positive vibes from the people who play them from the chatter I hear.

That sounds really positive. I mean in terms of getting the Asian population of Leicester engaged with rugby. It will be nice if one day there are British Asians playing for the Tigers.

Postby 4N » Wed, 01 Jan 2020, 15:19

If you go to a World Sevens Series tournament a good portion of the Fiji fans (I would say the majority) are Indian.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Wed, 01 Jan 2020, 15:45

STMKY wrote:I told you that Krasnoyarsk has no alternative to GRR. Geographically, by climate, time zone, level of rivals. I think that in the Continental League they will play a maximum of 1-2 years. And they will leave for GRR at the first expansion and creation of the Northern Conference.

I can see three men and a chow chow turning up for that! :lol: Not sure what's supposed to be in it for Andrew Forrest either. He'll be investing enough dough in the South East Asia-Pacific series, without financing a second conference thousands of miles from Perth. Personally I don't think GRR will last more than a few years anyway. I've mentioned before the comparisons to the CANZ series of three decades ago, which was set up primarily to spite the South Pacific Champs for leaving out Waikato and Otago. The Argentinean contingent dropped out after one season, and the Kiwis and Canadians battled on for just two more. But it appeared to make its point, as Super 10 arrived and the aforementioned provinces got the call up. Perhaps GRR will lead to Perth's reinstatement in Super Rugby. Meanwhile, I've just been reading on another thread that Japan's new pro league may not go ahead after all. Krasnoyarsk's best bet for international club competition in northern Asia, therefore, would surely be the Land of the Rising Sun.

iul wrote:

Didn't Australia kill off the NRC? That's what I remember

Current broadcasting deal runs through till the end of the 2020 season. Beyond that, who knows? Not sure about the 2nd division. That's the one with teams from South Australia, Tasmania, Northern Territories, NSW & Q'Land Country and, of course, Perth. If so, given the success of Fiji in the top division, I wonder if PNG could be a prospect for future inclusion. They'd have to raise their standards a little, of course, but it would certainly be a great way to help them.

Canalina wrote:

It would be interesting to see Sri Lanka involved in GRR (pure speculation

Yes, I thought they were top of the list, hence the original name Indo-Pacific League, and that would bring in South Asia. Colombo is closer to Perth than Hong Kong or Samoa are. Moreover, Sri Lanka has more players than Scotland, according to World Rugby stats, and more per capita than Argentina or Italy. I've also read that they have a semi-professional league with a lot of Fijians involved. But a few years ago they actually turned down a promotion-relegation match with Hong Kong, fearing they would be out of their depth. Given their 55K player stocks, one can only assume this had to do with size. Still, there would be nothing to stop them using their Fijians and other imports in a professional club competition.

Tobar wrote:

There is no Korean team yet

Yet another nation left behind in the professional era. They were ahead of Hong Kong for much of the amateur era and even beat Japan a few times. But those days are long gone. To my knowledge, rugby in South Korea is still primarily the domain of the armed forces. Three or four years back they drew a series in Chile after making a spectacular comeback in the second test, as I recall - which provides a good indication of their current standing.

Come to think of it, I actually saw Korea play once :D , losing narrowly to NSW B at the Concorde Oval in the curtain-raiser to the Waratahs' South Pacific Champs encounter with Wellington in 1987. As I recall they were much smaller than the locals but very quick around the field - and received a standing ovation at the end of the match. Many thought they should have been invited to the inaugural World Cup, in fact.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 01 Jan 2020, 17:54

What comes first? The market or the professionalism?

That's clearly rugby's main question.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 01 Jan 2020, 18:42

victorsra wrote:What comes first? The market or the professionalism?

That's clearly rugby's main question.

In the normal order of things the market would come first. In England there was a market for professional rugby before there was professional rugby. It's very unlikely to work the other way round. Like NFL trying to establish teams in the UK. They tried it and it didn't work.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 01 Jan 2020, 19:35

There is a market for an NFL team in London. There is not a market for a developmental league team like NFL Europe was.

It also depends on how you go about creating the team/league. NFL has shown that it just thinks its weight will be enough to create markets.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 01 Jan 2020, 20:05

Tobar wrote:There is a market for an NFL team in London. There is not a market for a developmental league team like NFL Europe was.

It also depends on how you go about creating the team/league. NFL has shown that it just thinks its weight will be enough to create markets.

I agree that now there possibly is a market for an NFL team in London, but there wasn't that market years ago.
I believe the market has developed because of:
1. Lots of Americans and people who have lived in America now living in London.
2. American football is on our sports channels.

One way to grow new markets for rugby is to put it on free to air TV in the countries you want to target.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 00:05

Tobar wrote:There is a market for an NFL team in London. There is not a market for a developmental league team like NFL Europe was.

Well, there is a market for professional football in Europe. American Football as a sport in the UK continues the expansion. In Continental Europe there are professional leagues in several countries. Germany and Italian leagues pay good money to American players that can't make in the NFL. If anything American Football professionalism has a much higher chance of success in continental Europe than MLR or SLAR does.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 01:07

American Football has a serious problem: it doesn't have a national teams scene (well, it has IFAF's World Cup, but it is crap). This means what atracts people is NFL and, well, there's already NFL.

And not quite true about SLAR. Rugby is bigger and more meaningful in Argentina than American Football in any country outside North America. The problem is amateurism ideology. I also dont believe American Football there is a country outside North America has more players than rugby in USA. Fans it probably has, but again, those fans already have NFL to watch on TV. NFL's popularity doesnt generate a market for professional domestic American Football.

National teams are the most logical and easy product to move a sport because is a meaningful team any country starts with.

Cartel nations efforts to fuck everything apart, Rugby has this meaningful path for any country: the RWC (and sevens in the Olympics). Like football or basketball or any Olympic team sport, any country can be protagonist. American Football doesnt offer this.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 04:44

Hockey has an international scene...and yet the player's union and the NHL don't really care about this cycle of the Olympics. So we'll see a much lower level of Olympic Hockey than we've seen in some time. So the International Scene ain't all it's cracked up to be. IFAF is HQd in France, it operates wholly independent of the NFL, in fact USA Football which is funded by the NFL is only 17 years old.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 07:43

TheStroBro wrote:Hockey has an international scene...and yet the player's union and the NHL don't really care about this cycle of the Olympics. So we'll see a much lower level of Olympic Hockey than we've seen in some time. So the International Scene ain't all it's cracked up to be. IFAF is HQd in France, it operates wholly independent of the NFL, in fact USA Football which is funded by the NFL is only 17 years old.

Interestingly, in Britain, of the American sports, Ice Hockey is the one that is successful as a professional spectator sport. It doesn't receive much media coverage but there are a couple of professional / semi professional leagues and the teams have loyal fan bases. Not bad in a country that rarely freezes.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 09:05

Do we already know dates and fixtures of the Continental League? I suppose not, I haven't read anything about

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 09:14

There was going to be a meeting on late January.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 13:07

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
sk 88 wrote:
Tobar wrote:

That sounds really positive. I mean in terms of getting the Asian population of Leicester engaged with rugby. It will be nice if one day there are British Asians playing for the Tigers.

I mean when I first started getting interested Aadel Kardooni was our scrum half, and obviously the Underwoods are British-Chinese-Malaysians (RFU never seem to make much of their record try-scorer being a "BAME" in modern parlance), but yes I agree producing a Hamza Choudrey for Tigers would be great!

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 14:15

TheStroBro wrote:Hockey has an international scene...and yet the player's union and the NHL don't really care about this cycle of the Olympics. So we'll see a much lower level of Olympic Hockey than we've seen in some time. So the International Scene ain't all it's cracked up to be. IFAF is HQd in France, it operates wholly independent of the NFL, in fact USA Football which is funded by the NFL is only 17 years old.

Yes, but Hockey already built through the century its international scene and national teams played their part. It is professional in many countries and the Olympics already proved important with China foundig its first professional team to play Russian KHL, as Beijing will host 2022 Winter Olympics. It is a driving force no matter what are NHL plans. Like for basketball when NBA did not care. Because even if NHL doesn't care, a player from a minor hockey nation can aspire to be there and NOCs can fund local teams. Of course for a Ice Hockey player NHL is the biggest dream, but the Olympics are realy important for players not involved in NHL, specialy from minor countries. In other words, it offers a horizon, a perspective globaly to the sport. However, like MLB's relation with Olympic baseball, NHL's relation can hurt the Olympic future of hockey at the point IOC might want to exclude them.

I am not saying American Football can't grow. Only that now it offers very little for players and fans outside North America. For a non-North American fan perspective (and I am realy not a fan, so I may be blind) you already have NFL to follow. You have less reasons to follow your own domestic American Football. The driving force outside North America is the passion for NFL itself I believe, not the international scene. It leads to nowhere, zero perspective. However, it obviously could grow. What I know about IFAF (from people involved in American Football here) is they are incompetent. The 2015 American Football World Cup was a big fail and the 2019 cancelled. The next one will be only in 2023. If NFL is funding them, they need a review.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 10 Jan 2020, 10:28

Armchair Fan wrote:
vino_93 wrote:I might be wrong, but I think Spain will be back with Challenge Cup. EPCR doesn't want anymore east-europeans clubs. Travel distances, winter season, so many problems for them. Italy will have one spot for sure. A guy from EPCR said it in an itw a few weeks ago. He doesn't tell anything about second spot, expect that they won't go to Russia anymore. I'm pretty sure they are targetting Spain. Good location, rugby economy growing, same season as every other contenders... and a big market. I'm not saying it will happen (I'm not sure it's interesting for Spanish champion), but I'm sure EPCR is targeting them.

It looks like in Russia they have got the same suspicion as you:
"When EPCR now talks about giving the remaining ticket to the Challenge Cup to an invited participant, we understand that it will not be Enisei. The reason is at least one, the lack of desire to fly to the matches in Krasnoyarsk. EPCR plans to send some questionnaires to clubs from Georgia, Russia, Romania, Spain and according to these documents will choose one team, which will be sent an invitation to the challenge cap. If you ask me, there is 80-90% chances that the choice will fall on the Spaniards".
https://rugger.info/news/30399

I remain skeptical. Other than the allure of playing Tier 1 clubs and franchises I'm not sure it would be wise from our side. Budgets devoted to first teams in Spanish top clubs aren't any bigger than they were a decade ago, when our clubs were severely spanked by French and English teams and an increasingly competitive national scene will equally be a deterrent, given six high profile matches will directly hamper local ambitions. What is more interesting, a Cup title in front of an 8,000 crowd of potential customers for your sponsors or three European matches lost 0-80 in front of your usual 2-3,000 crowd?

EPCR has sent the letter to Spain. Our clubs must say whether they are interested or not before January 17:
https://www.revista22.es/2020/01/europa ... -a-espana/

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Tiernster » Fri, 10 Jan 2020, 11:52

Do you feel the response will be different this time. The geography if it is straight to challenge cup is much more straight forward and the finances should be more prestigious.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Fri, 10 Jan 2020, 15:22

Interesting stuff.

Meanwhile, over in (the real) RL they are taking a different approach:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... gby-league

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 14 Jan 2020, 19:05

Deportes COPE Valladolid (minute 26) conducted a small investigation among people that must take decisions on whether to bid for Challenge Cup spots or not in Spain.

After talking to FER, LNR, VRAC, El Salvador and Alcobendas representatives these were their conclusions:
- Neither EPCR, nor FER are offering any money (worse conditions than for Continental Shield). Spanish union claims their 2020 budget is already closed but they would support any club willing to take part in Challenge Cup (scheduling).
- Alcobendas doesn't see this viable, claiming they aren't ready, would need to sign 5-8 additional players to be any competitive and financially it doesn't work
- Valladolid clubs remain open to this possibility, which will be discussed this week. VRAC even considers a merged team/franchise with El Salvador as they see sporting interest in the competition and fulfill most EPCR requests but financials are a big obstacle
- LNR/Clubs association claims FER should endorse any Spanish entrant as if it was a national team, but their speech sounded a bit off, just trying to talk about their business and not Challenge Cup
- Potential bids have until this Friday to submit any doubt to EPCR and until January 27th to present their dossiers. A decision will be taken by EPCR in February
- The feeling is we haven't got enough time to put a good bid in place but fear EPCR won't offer anything next year if we let this one go

Unless Valladolid launch themselves in an unreasonable and suicidal mission just for the love of rugby I don't see how playing Challenge Cup makes any sense for us.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 15 Jan 2020, 07:56

Armchair Fan wrote:Deportes COPE Valladolid (minute 26) conducted a small investigation among people that must take decisions on whether to bid for Challenge Cup spots or not in Spain.

After talking to FER, LNR, VRAC, El Salvador and Alcobendas representatives these were their conclusions:
- Neither EPCR, nor FER are offering any money (worse conditions than for Continental Shield). Spanish union claims their 2020 budget is already closed but they would support any club willing to take part in Challenge Cup (scheduling).
- Alcobendas doesn't see this viable, claiming they aren't ready, would need to sign 5-8 additional players to be any competitive and financially it doesn't work
- Valladolid clubs remain open to this possibility, which will be discussed this week. VRAC even considers a merged team/franchise with El Salvador as they see sporting interest in the competition and fulfill most EPCR requests but financials are a big obstacle
- LNR/Clubs association claims FER should endorse any Spanish entrant as if it was a national team, but their speech sounded a bit off, just trying to talk about their business and not Challenge Cup
- Potential bids have until this Friday to submit any doubt to EPCR and until January 27th to present their dossiers. A decision will be taken by EPCR in February
- The feeling is we haven't got enough time to put a good bid in place but fear EPCR won't offer anything next year if we let this one go

Unless Valladolid launch themselves in an unreasonable and suicidal mission just for the love of rugby I don't see how playing Challenge Cup makes any sense for us.

Sometimes, and this is one of those not that rare moments, where I ask myself if soccer is probably also that successful, because soccer admins are less smart and don't overthink everything, but don't hesitate to take opportunities.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 15 Jan 2020, 08:57

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:Deportes COPE Valladolid (minute 26) conducted a small investigation among people that must take decisions on whether to bid for Challenge Cup spots or not in Spain.

Sometimes, and this is one of those not that rare moments, where I ask myself if soccer is probably also that successful, because soccer admins are less smart and don't overthink everything, but don't hesitate to take opportunities.

Soccer created meritocratic systems. Apart from Australia and USA (with token teams from Canada and NZ) all countries have domestic leagues with promotion and relegation, except for the micro states maybe. All countries, both at international or club level can rise to the top. In rugby everything is closed off, and the cartel admins have the difficult task of growing the revenues of rugby without growing rugby, because some of them might find themselves no longer sitting at the top of the game, which is why we keep seeing short term and stupid solutions, such as selling percentages of competitions tovinvestment funds, constant rule changes and all sort of improvised irrational competitions.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby ihateblazers » Wed, 15 Jan 2020, 09:24

iul wrote: Soccer created meritocratic systems. Apart from Australia and USA (with token teams from Canada and NZ) all countries have domestic leagues with promotion and relegation, except for the micro states maybe. All countries, both at international or club level can rise to the top. In rugby everything is closed off, and the cartel admins have the difficult task of growing the revenues of rugby without growing rugby, because some of them might find themselves no longer sitting at the top of the game, which is why we keep seeing short term and stupid solutions, such as selling percentages of competitions tovinvestment funds, constant rule changes and all sort of improvised irrational competitions.

To expand on your point about the cartel admins. The whole of T1 outside of France and England are reliant on the international game due to the central contract system and trying to compete with private owned clubs with funds raised by the international game, this is the root cause of all of rugby's problems and has led to the closed off competitions.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum